Splitsville Blog Meet-Up

Gtovryslf

Original Poster
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ks-blog-meet-up-at-downtown-disney-attendees/

Can anyone tell me why it is always the SAME names on these lists, time and time again? I have not made the cut on the last three meet-ups, yet I'm confident my email was sent immediately after posting. I see LOTS of familiar names (a great many already attended the media preview) so why the need to take a space from other fans who'd like an opportunity to see as well?

Could not help but notice the "infamous" F****NG Dumbo" blogger made the cut.

Enlighten me please.

Sour grapes on my part? I'll admit it, yes.

Thanks everyone.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Agreed. I don't think the supposed "media" should be going to the blog giveaways as well. The blogger brigade seem to want everything - as long as its free. Does Brigante really need to go and bowl a few more balls for free again? How about letting some others have a chance.

It was the same with the Be Our Guest event as well. A good amount of them had already been to the first media preview, then went to the Blog meet, and then went to the opening event.

Gtovryslf

Original Poster
Agreed. I don't think the supposed "media" should be going to the blog giveaways as well. The blogger brigade seem to want everything - as long as its free. Does Brigante really need to go and bowl a few more balls for free again? How about letting some others have a chance.

It was the same with the Be Our Guest event as well. A good amount of them had already been to the first media preview, then went to the Blog meet, and then went to the opening event.

It's a little disheartening. I admit, I blog as well, but I am always willing to pay my own way on things (Annual Passholder) and would always divulge if I were to receive some sort of compensation. It's just proper etiquette.
I've not a thing against Ricky, but it's never enough for some of these folks. I've checked out many of their blogs and while they are nice to look at, they do not offer me anything that I cannot find anywhere else...AND they are chocked full of ads for Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, etc.

WDW1974

A kindred Spirit (OK, it was Lee!) pointed this thread to me ... funny, it was my noticing the same names at an event for before the grand opening of Star Tours 2 that started me on my Spirited Campaign to Change How Disney Uses/Abuses Social Media.

The reason that at least 75% of the folks are bloggers/podcasters/webmasters is not a surprise. I have no idea whether Disney gives them a few minute head start (not officially, just the IPs, which it tracks) or has a software program that catches them or what.

But when you see the exact same names over and over again, you damn well know it isn't chance.

Since some of these folks were cut out of last week's 'real' event, this may also be Disney's way of trying to assure these insignificant individuals that they are somehow significant. In other words, if Disney has to give freebies to fans, they might as well be getting something out of them.

Not saying it doesn't suck (although a friend of mine actually got in!), but this is just how it's going to play out so long as the folks running the CPSMC continue to do so.

tahqa

These people stalk the twitter feeds and other sources and then tell each other when the event is about to be opened for registration. Plus, usually, if it's a family group (or group of friends) registering they'll all register individually so they can each take a +1.

Yeah, I'm bitter because I didn't make the cut. :cool:

I personally think that if someone went to a previous event they shouldn't be eligible for the current event. Or limit it by household address. There have to be better ways of doing these kind of things.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Disney nerds doing their thing. Some people take this stuff too far. It should be fun for everyone but the nerds ruin it. Everyone is connected on FB/Twitter/text and they all tell each other when it opens up. It's lame.

Gtovryslf

Original Poster
A kindred Spirit (OK, it was Lee!) pointed this thread to me ... funny, it was my noticing the same names at an event for before the grand opening of Star Tours 2 that started me on my Spirited Campaign to Change How Disney Uses/Abuses Social Media.

The reason that at least 75% of the folks are bloggers/podcasters/webmasters is not a surprise. I have no idea whether Disney gives them a few minute head start (not officially, just the IPs, which it tracks) or has a software program that catches them or what.

But when you see the exact same names over and over again, you damn well know it isn't chance.

Since some of these folks were cut out of last week's 'real' event, this may also be Disney's way of trying to assure these insignificant individuals that they are somehow significant. In other words, if Disney has to give freebies to fans, they might as well be getting something out of them.

Not saying it doesn't suck (although a friend of mine actually got in!), but this is just how it's going to play out so long as the folks running the CPSMC continue to do so.

I knew it would not take me long to get into your frame of thinking - thanks for the reply :)

I am wondering if you could elaborate a bit. They actually track the IP's of these folks? Why? Im sure you have you been to some of their websites/blogs? 90% of it is incoherent drivel or a quick copy and paste from another Disney site. Is Disney worried that sparklyeverafter.com. etc., will actually damage their reputation if they post something negative or do not make the guest list for the umpteenth millionth time????

lazyboy97o

I knew it would not take me long to get into your frame of thinking - thanks for the reply :)

I am wondering if you could elaborate a bit. They actually track the IP's of these folks? Why? Im sure you have you been to some of their websites/blogs? 90% of it is incoherent drivel or a quick copy and paste from another Disney site. Is Disney worried that sparklyeverafter.com. etc., will actually damage their reputation if they post something negative or do not make the guest list for the umpteenth millionth time????
I think they're more worried that Joe Everyman, despite not paying, may not be all that impressed and tell people on the other Disney-focused sites he visits.

Dasnowz

I think that they should say its one invite per year or something. I know there would be ways around for those who cheat by making new emails or using a spouse to sign up but it would at least give others a fair chance. And yes sour grapes because I would love a chance to do one of these.

Gtovryslf

Original Poster
I think that they should say its one invite per year or something. I know there would be ways around for those who cheat by making new emails or using a spouse to sign up but it would at least give others a fair chance. And yes sour grapes because I would love a chance to do one of these.

Sadly, when you look at the current list, you see a few duplicate last names. Someone has figured something out or Disney could care less who comes in.

luv

I'm only guessing, of course, but I think the more positive you are about Disney and/or the more money you make them, the more likely you are to be invited to this stuff.

I don't want to be invited, so no sour grapes here, lol. That's just my opinion about that. Everything that isn't a matter of love has money at its core.

Britt

Thes are bloggers who are signing up to get into these events/projects for free? Disney lets them in for free for them to "blog" about their experience?

Or am I misunderstanding?

Gtovryslf

Original Poster
Thes are bloggers who are signing up to get into these events/projects for free? Disney lets them in for free for them to "blog" about their experience?

You are 100% correct - many of them attend multiple events for the same attraction or opening; virtually shutting out others in the process.

lazyboy97o

These events are supposed to be for readers of the DisneyParks® Blog. A number of these people are bloggers who also get invited to the media events, such as the one that was just held last week at Splitsville. So there are a few people getting invites to the media events and then also getting into many of these events intended for readers.

WDW1974

These people stalk the twitter feeds and other sources and then tell each other when the event is about to be opened for registration. Plus, usually, if it's a family group (or group of friends) registering they'll all register individually so they can each take a +1.

Yeah, I'm bitter because I didn't make the cut. :cool:

I personally think that if someone went to a previous event they shouldn't be eligible for the current event. Or limit it by household address. There have to be better ways of doing these kind of things.

I would agree. If you get into one event, then you're blocked for a year from getting into another.
That would make sense IF Disney wanted a level playing field and didn't want the events 'seeded' with social media whores. They don't, so you'll never get that. But if you have an issue with it I'd encourage you to email/phone the Disney Parks Bloggers and explain your displeasure.

Oh, and it was fun reading WannabeLou and his new GFF tweeting about them both snagging spots.

WDW1974

If I knew what Disney was thinking with its Social Media policy, I'd tell you ... believe me.

But I am utterly astounded by what has been transpiring.

Gtovryslf

Original Poster
Someone called Brigante out; I don't agree with his response, though.
Pete Garage@PeteGarage
@disneyparks Blog Examples...@InsideTheMagic @AllEarsDeb@studioscentral Save these events for non-media! They go to everything already.
Collapse
5:47 PM - 11 Dec 12 · Details
Ricky Brigante, Host@InsideTheMagic
@PeteGarage Remember media events, while often fun, are BUSY working events. Press can be fans in off time. Blog events offer fun w/out work
Hide conversation

WDW1974

Ricky is full of it and he knows it. ... Media events are 'work' sure ... that's like saying spending every day of your life in theme parks is work because you take pictures or videos or blog about it. No, it isn't work.

And these folks shouldn't be allowed to take a vast majority of the spaces at these events. One a year. Period.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom