Tables In Wonderland

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Excuse me for wondering but, since an automatic tip is included, has anyone experienced a lack of outstanding service that an 18% Tip would imply? Also, a tip for CS seems counter intuitive, n'est pas?
I could be completely wrong, but isn't the automatic gratuity for parties of 6 or more? That is usually how it works. I have never experienced poor enough service not to warrant 18% gratuity. For me I usually tip more than that anyway and I usually end up adding a few bucks to the tip to get to at least 20% especially with kids now. They can make a mess some times.

I have not heard of adding an automatic gratuity to counter service. That would be pretty bogus in my opinion. I usually never tip at counter service unless someone goes above and beyond. When I go to Dunking Donuts and the lady makes up my coffee without me even ordering I always give her my change in the little tip bowl.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I could be completely wrong, but isn't the automatic gratuity for parties of 6 or more?

Never mind. I am completely wrong (not the first time, won't be the last). For TIW the 18% gratuity is added to all transactions per http://tablesinwonderland.com/

My question is do they add the gratuity to counter service too? It does say all transactions. If that is the case you save 20% then get charged 18% back so you really only save 2%. Lame.

Disneykidder

Why is there an automatic 18% included just because of holding the card? Maybe someone can explain that because I don't see the purpose. I am a good tipper and don't need someone telling me how to tip.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The automatic gratuty is only added at TS restaurants and bars. QS you get the 20% discount without gratuity.

While lots of people [probably most] are "good tippers" [I usually add a bit more to the 18%], there are some incredibly cheap people out there who take the attitude that since they paid for TiW, they get their 20% off and that's it. No gratuity required. TiW and the restaurants negotiated the 18% gratuity in recognition of those few.

The proof of the mathematically-challenged few out there comes when people say there's no point in getting TiW since after the 18% gratuity you "only" save 2%. :rolleyes:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The automatic gratuty is only added at TS restaurants and bars. QS you get the 20% discount without gratuity.

While lots of people [probably most] are "good tippers" [I usually add a bit more to the 18%], there are some incredibly cheap people out there who take the attitude that since they paid for TiW, they get their 20% off and that's it. No gratuity required. TiW and the restaurants negotiated the 18% gratuity in recognition of those few.

The proof of the mathematically-challenged few out there comes when people say there's no point in getting TiW since after the 18% gratuity you "only" save 2%. :rolleyes:

Thanks for clearing up the counter service gratuity. That makes sense. My reference to only saving 2% was only if they charged you 18% for counter service as well. Since most people don't tip anything at counter service you would only save 2% for counter service (which you cleared up is not the case) Obviously that doesn't apply to table service since you would be tipping either way.

Do you happen to know if the 18% is based on your bill after 20% discount or is it 18% of the full price before discount? If it's on the full price bill that is probably why they add it automatically. For example, if I go to a local watering hole that has 2 for 1 happy hour drinks and at the end of the night my tab is $30 but would have been $60 had I paid full price I will tip based on $60 not $30. If you assume 20% gratuity that is the difference between $12 and $6 which adds up for the waiter/bartender over the course of a night. Same goes if I have a coupon or get some sort of discount like TIW. For the waiter it's the same amount of work whether you get a 20% discount or not so the tip should be the same in my opinion.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Thanks for clearing up the counter service gratuity. That makes sense. My reference to only saving 2% was only if they charged you 18% for counter service as well. Since most people don't tip anything at counter service you would only save 2% for counter service (which you cleared up is not the case) Obviously that doesn't apply to table service since you would be tipping either way.

Do you happen to know if the 18% is based on your bill after 20% discount or is it 18% of the full price before discount? If it's on the full price bill that is probably why they add it automatically. For example, if I go to a local watering hole that has 2 for 1 happy hour drinks and at the end of the night my tab is $30 but would have been $60 had I paid full price I will tip based on $60 not $30. If you assume 20% gratuity that is the difference between $12 and $6 which adds up for the waiter/bartender over the course of a night. Same goes if I have a coupon or get some sort of discount like TIW. For the waiter it's the same amount of work whether you get a 20% discount or not so the tip should be the same in my opinion.
Sorry, my 2% comment wasn't directed at your comment, it was meant for people who make that statement related to TS. The QS question, you're right, it wouldn't make sense.

The 18% is based on the pre-discount price.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sorry, my 2% comment wasn't directed at your comment, it was meant for people who make that statement related to TS. The QS question, you're right, it wouldn't make sense.

The 18% is based on the pre-discount price.

Thanks. Makes sense to do it that way. Your 20% savings is on food/drinks not on tips. Keeps the waiters happy I'm sure;)

FloridaJosh

Another nice perk of TiW is free parking. If you arrive at a park after 5PM, show the card to the parking attendant and you don't have to pay. As a local with seasonal passes, this makes it more attractive to pop over to one of parks for dinner and fireworks. Probably not that useful to someone on vacation, especially if you're staying at the resort.

dreamfinder

Why is there an automatic 18% included just because of holding the card? Maybe someone can explain that because I don't see the purpose. I am a good tipper and don't need someone telling me how to tip.

To ensure that the wait staff gets tipped on the full price meal, instead of the discounted meal. Not everyone tips on the full price.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
To ensure that the wait staff gets tipped on the full price meal, instead of the discounted meal. Not everyone tips on the full price.
And as I said, some think they don't have to tip at all since they "paid" for the TiW card...

Blueskyze

This may be a silly question, but I've just started considering getting a TiW card. Still doing the math to see how it would stack up against using the DDP. Our APs expire in January (we hope to get them renewed, but that's still up in the air). If I purchase the card now, is it good for a year, or do I have to present my AP along with it? I guess what I am asking is, if I don't renew my AP, does that void the TiW card?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This may be a silly question, but I've just started considering getting a TiW card. Still doing the math to see how it would stack up against using the DDP. Our APs expire in January (we hope to get them renewed, but that's still up in the air). If I purchase the card now, is it good for a year, or do I have to present my AP along with it? I guess what I am asking is, if I don't renew my AP, does that void the TiW card?
The card it good for 1 year from the date of purchase. As long as you have an active AP at the time of purchase you are good to go. The state of your AP is never again checked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom