Photopass Photographers

nngrendel

Original Poster
I am not one to complain Disney. I think its one of the best vacations I take and love going there each and every time. I also cannot wait to get back!

However I had a few shots taken by the photopass photographers this past trip and was just looking at a few shots. I was very disappointed in some of the shots. I cant imagine anyone trusting the photopass option for great pictures the way Disney sells it to everyone.

I asked one photographer what settings they usually use for their shots and I was told they are not allowed to use Manual for any shots. What?!?! :eek: I guess they do this for consistency??? Someone help answer this.

Here are two shots taken that I would like to share and show the poor job that Disney is doing on this. And one reason I do complain about this is you are paying top dollar for these prints. They are not cheap.

i-8Pj8GrT-L.jpg

Although the background is fine our faces look like they are about to be burned from the intense flash.

i-37PqBzR-L.jpg

Not that I am the best photographer in the world but come on. The flash is turned up so high here you can see our shadow cast on the castle in the background.

Not all of the shots were horrible but majority were. Its just a shame to be charging top dollar for shots that are less than acceptable.

Am I just being picky??

Joshua&CalebDad

I asked one photographer what settings they usually use for their shots and I was told they are not allowed to use Manual for any shots. What?!?! :eek: I guess they do this for consistency??? Someone help answer this.

Not that I am the best photographer in the world but come on. The flash is turned up so high here you can see our shadow cast on the castle in the background.

Not all of the shots were horrible but majority were. Its just a shame to be charging top dollar for shots that are less than acceptable.

Am I just being picky??

Your'e not kidding, what was up with that flash.

I don't think your being picky. The reason that someone pays for photopass is to get a nice family shot that they couldn't get on their own.

I would probably send copies of these pictures back to photopass. Yes, they already have them but it might help if they get a letter showing your dissapointment along with examples of the bad photography.

I plan on using photopass myself on the next trip for some character interactions that I want to do with my kids. However, I definately plan on setting my camera the way I want it before I hand it over to the CM to take our picture.

ddbowdoin

You aren't the first one to make this claim... I agree 100% percent with you.

My wife and I have pre-ordered our last two trips, with our disneymoon we went with the plus (+) option because we value ride photos. I always chat up with them as I'm a somewhat "professional" photographer... defining oneself isn't easy but I am paid for the work I do. A vast majority, and I'm going to say 99.9% of the photographers I speak with admit they receive the most basic training and have little photographic experience.

The only time I've run across someone who knew their stuff was an older hispanic gentleman parked just below SSE. I was trudging around a medium format Mamiya and he came running up to me. Apparently he owned his own studio for 35 years and was working as a CM in his retirement. We spoke for nearly 30 mins, he snapped a few shots of me and his work was great when I checked my work online.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm ordering it ever again... so many of the shots are soft, missing focus etc etc etc

ddbowdoin

I am not one to complain Disney. I think its one of the best vacations I take and love going there each and every time. I also cannot wait to get back!

However I had a few shots taken by the photopass photographers this past trip and was just looking at a few shots. I was very disappointed in some of the shots. I cant imagine anyone trusting the photopass option for great pictures the way Disney sells it to everyone.

Here are two shots taken that I would like to share and show the poor job that Disney is doing on this. And one reason I do complain about this is you are paying top dollar for these prints. They are not cheap.

i-8Pj8GrT-L.jpg

Although the background is fine our faces look like they are about to be burned from the intense flash.

i-37PqBzR-L.jpg

Am I just being picky??

that's just a result of them not diffusing the flash... pretty basic stuff but an added expense to each flash they provide to CM's

nngrendel

Original Poster
Your'e not kidding, what was up with that flash.

I don't think your being picky. The reason that someone pays for photopass is to get a nice family shot that they couldn't get on their own.

I would probably send copies of these pictures back to photopass. Yes, they already have them but it might help if they get a letter showing your dissapointment along with examples of the bad photography.

I plan on using photopass myself on the next trip for some character interactions that I want to do with my kids. However, I definately plan on setting my camera the way I want it before I hand it over to the CM to take our picture.

I set everything before I handed them my camera as well. Took a couple test shots first. Tried to get them to use the shutter button on my battery grip but none of the photographers could understand what I was talking about when they were shooting portrait.

Not that I am a pro or anything but this...

i-RbssBHq-M.jpg

My camera preset and with pop up flash even!

vs this...

i-37PqBzR-L.jpg

Looks way better to me at least and I didnt spend a lot of time adjusting everything.

I always chat up with them as I'm a somewhat "professional" photographer... defining oneself isn't easy but I am paid for the work I do.

hahaha. Whatever man! Your work is great!! You are like me in a lot of ways. I am my own worst critic. I wanna grow up to be like you one day. Also the film shots you are getting is not from an amateur. Love seeing your shots.

nngrendel

Original Poster
that's just a result of them not diffusing the flash... pretty basic stuff but an added expense to each flash they provide to CM's

Think I bought my diffuser for like 9 bucks. Sure Disney could purchase 1000 for less each. Shouldn't break the bank. Not only that but turning down the flash would help some too.

ddbowdoin

I set everything before I handed them my camera as well. Took a couple test shots first. Tried to get them to use the shutter button on my battery grip but none of the photographers could understand what I was talking about when they were shooting portrait.

Not that I am a pro or anything but this...

My camera preset and with pop up flash even!

vs this...

Looks way better to me at least and I didnt spend a lot of time adjusting everything.

hahaha. Whatever man! Your work is great!! You are like me in a lot of ways. I am my own worst critic. I wanna grow up to be like you one day. Also the film shots you are getting is not from an amateur. Love seeing your shots.

I'm surprised they don't just try and bump their ISO and work without flash. Our first trip together I couldn't believe it was 12 bucks for two 4x6 prints. That's a serious price, considering mpix and everywhere is less than 50 cents a print (for 4x6).

Thanks man, I'm def a hard critic of myself... not an easy game. I think it's pretty easy to learn and understand the functions of a camera, at the end of the day it's shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. But once you learn the camera do you take meaningful images, which of course is subjective but still the real challenge.

I'm riding the film train hard now, although I'm finding it considerably harder working with a purely mechanical machine. Not having an internal light meter really challenges you.

ddbowdoin

nngrendel

Original Poster
I'm surprised they don't just try and bump their ISO and work without flash. Our first trip together I couldn't believe it was 12 bucks for two 4x6 prints. That's a serious price, considering mpix and everywhere is less than 50 cents a print (for 4x6).

Thanks man, I'm def a hard critic of myself... not an easy game. I think it's pretty easy to learn and understand the functions of a camera, at the end of the day it's shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. But once you learn the camera do you take meaningful images, which of course is subjective but still the real challenge.

I'm riding the film train hard now, although I'm finding it considerably harder working with a purely mechanical machine. Not having an internal light meter really challenges you.

12 bucks for two 4x6 prints is something you would pay for fine art.

You hit the nail on the head. Taking meaningful images is what its all about to me. Although I took a lot of shots that have already been done many many times before I wanted my chance to get those shots on my own. They look nice but there are many others out there just like it. I want to challenge myself more on our next visit.

ddbowdoin

12 bucks for two 4x6 prints is something you would pay for fine art.

You hit the nail on the head. Taking meaningful images is what its all about to me. Although I took a lot of shots that have already been done many many times before I wanted my chance to get those shots on my own. They look nice but there are many others out there just like it. I want to challenge myself more on our next visit.

The worst part about it all is that you only get to visit once a year or whatever... if I was a local I'd bring in some large format and shoot huge images. Unfortunately that's not a reality for me, too heavy and too inconvenient for a vacation.

I'd like a 4 day, photography trip only... but convincing my wife of that, not happening

nngrendel

Original Poster
The worst part about it all is that you only get to visit once a year or whatever... if I was a local I'd bring in some large format and shoot huge images. Unfortunately that's not a reality for me, too heavy and too inconvenient for a vacation.

I'd like a 4 day, photography trip only... but convincing my wife of that, not happening

I think after I dragged my wife around at night late I may have to take a photography trip. Shes a great sport about it though.

I had someone ask me how to get some of the shots I got on my last trip. I forgot to let him know to have an understanding wife.

ddbowdoin

I think after I dragged my wife around at night late I may have to take a photography trip. Shes a great sport about it though.

I had someone ask me how to get some of the shots I got on my last trip. I forgot to let him know to have an understanding wife.

This time around it definitely became a hassle for me...

1.) find a scene.
2.) unload the tripod
3.) meter the scene
4.) meter again
5.) maybe one more meter
6.) set the settings on the lens
7.) pull the dark slide
8.) shoot the image
9.) pack the camera away
10.) repack the tripod

as you can tell, it's not a quick process

nngrendel

Original Poster
This time around it definitely became a hassle for me...

1.) find a scene.
2.) unload the tripod
3.) meter the scene
4.) meter again
5.) maybe one more meter
6.) set the settings on the lens
7.) pull the dark slide
8.) shoot the image
9.) pack the camera away
10.) repack the tripod

as you can tell, it's not a quick process

I decided to shoot my night shots after the fireworks. I left my camera mounted on my tripod for the remaining part of our night. Just carried the camera on my shoulders like Peter Lik.

110223mag-from-the-edge1.jpg

Then you forgot to say wait for everyone to move out of your way. Patience is something I don't have. Had someone standing in my shot one night with a camera phone for the longest. hahah. Oh well. I kept my cool.

ddbowdoin

I decided to shoot my night shots after the fireworks. I left my camera mounted on my tripod for the remaining part of our night. Just carried the camera on my shoulders like Peter Lik.

110223mag-from-the-edge1.jpg

Then you forgot to say wait for everyone to move out of your way. Patience is something I don't have. Had someone standing in my shot one night with a camera phone for the longest. hahah. Oh well. I kept my cool.

The worst was my idiotic move... not knowing how to use the "T" setting (for bulb essentially) on my new camera. I got it like a week before we went and I did no tests. Yeah, dumb move. I showed up to my spot like an hour before illuminations and when the show started I was like why is the shutter not closing!

it's kind of a backwards way of doing it but the camera was originally a purely studio/fashion camera and LE's were not really used for it.

nngrendel

Original Poster
The worst was my idiotic move... not knowing how to use the "T" setting (for bulb essentially) on my new camera. I got it like a week before we went and I did no tests. Yeah, dumb move. I showed up to my spot like an hour before illuminations and when the show started I was like why is the shutter not closing!

it's kind of a backwards way of doing it but the camera was originally a purely studio/fashion camera and LE's were not really used for it.

Well just like a amateur I was nervous during Illuminations when we were at the Rose and Crown and my shots reflected that. Did a little better the next time.

ddbowdoin

Well just like a amateur I was nervous during Illuminations when we were at the Rose and Crown and my shots reflected that. Did a little better the next time.

it's just trial and error, at least with digital you have an LCD to review and make adjustments. Then you can always come back the next night and try again.

ND filter helps, tripod... trigger then just mess around.

nngrendel

Original Poster
it's just trial and error, at least with digital you have an LCD to review and make adjustments. Then you can always come back the next night and try again.

ND filter helps, tripod... trigger then just mess around.

Have the last two. ND filter I need.

ddbowdoin

Have the last two. ND filter I need.

they're a pain in the rear...

they can be expensive, because you don't want cheap glass in front of a nice lens... you'll lose some sharpness, but I've also seen results from cheap filters and they look OK so I'm not sure how much stock I put in that.

Then there graduated versions, like shooting a sunrise (top of lens is dark, bottom is lighter)... pretty specialized and how much will you use it.

Then you have to figure how what grade ND you want or will likely use the most.

Variable ND filters are like 225 a pop for good glass, so not cheap!

nngrendel

Original Poster
they're a pain in the rear...

they can be expensive, because you don't want cheap glass in front of a nice lens... you'll lose some sharpness, but I've also seen results from cheap filters and they look OK so I'm not sure how much stock I put in that.

Then there graduated versions, like shooting a sunrise (top of lens is dark, bottom is lighter)... pretty specialized and how much will you use it.

Then you have to figure how what grade ND you want or will likely use the most.

Variable ND filters are like 225 a pop for good glass, so not cheap!

And for all the reasons you listed is why I don't have one yet. hahahah. I dont have my "Go to" lens for landscapes yet. I cant make up my mind. But after reading your reviews of Tokina I may start researching these. I was fortunate to be able to borrow a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L for our trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom