Hurricane Survival Thread 2017 updates!

luv

Being from the North, I thought I was all prepared. I have batteries, water, lamps, a crank radio and all that jazz. I keep enough cash around to get me through. Plus, while the heat totally sucks, I know it won't kill me. Don't have to worry about literally freezing to death. So I was all set.

Until I read your list, lol. Dehumidifiers! Bug spray! I'm making a new list now. :)

I love how coffee supplies are in not one, but two places on the list. You coffee peeps never fail to crack me up!

Thanks for this.

philipseymour

blabla.gif

Most coastal houses can be strengthened fairly easily. Have a family plan and rehearse it. Do not wait until the hurricane is approaching to decide who is going to be responsible for the tasks to prepare your home.

-Trim trees and bushes before hurricane season so that the wind can blow through easily. Limbs can become projectiles, breaking windows and damaging roofs.

-Make a list of loose items that need to be brought in or tied down such as patio furniture, garbage cans, plants, pool filter, etc. Don't forget the mailbox and TV antenna.

-Inspect the roof for loose tiles or shingles and debris.

-Know the location of the main electric breaker, water valve and gas valve.

-Put up your shutters to make sure: they fit; that you have all the necessary parts; that you remember how to install them.

SMS55

Mom, if I may add couple of things to your list. Being from South Florida, I've been through Andrew and the endless list of Hurricanes that plagued our area in 2004 and 2005. For water the general rule is 1 gallon of person per day. Have a few days worth of supplies because emergency crews may not be able to get to you. Gas up your car. Pumps will probably not work afterwards because most run on electricity. Have your important papers together in zip lock bags. Things like deeds, insurance policies and stuff. Also take pictures or video of property before the storm. It will make your life a whole lot easier when making a claim afterwards.

Todd L

I live on Long Island ..We are on The North shore so We are somewhat Protected from the storm surge That The south shore will deal with But we are at greater risk of losing Power for a long time due to the amount of very old, big, heavy trees ..

I am lucky enough to have a camper and generator. The Camper fridge runs on l.p. gas and we can hold up in there pretty comfy for a week or so If we need to.

We hit the grocery store and filled the cupboard with non-perishables and are gonna bbq tonight and cleanout the freezer with the help of some friends.

We cleaned the Gutters, trimmed back all the trees we could and had to put away all the halloween decorations and patio furniture.

Looks like Halloween is gonna be a washout...maybe clear up as the day goes on!! Lets Hope.

We recently had some water damage in the house due to faulty skylights and It took WEEKS to clean up the mess and get the insurance money to pay for most of the damage...I pray they will be okay this time...Guess we will find out!!

Be safe everyone this thing is supposed to affect out area for 2 and a half days.....good luck!!

21stamps

@LAKid53 @lazyboy97o @Master Yoda @cosmicgirl

I hope this post is appropriate in this thread.. but I read this article and it gives me a lot of hope. It could mean the difference between damage vs destruction for the majority of SoFla. I guess we'll see over the weekend.
Whoever you pray to, or even if you don't pray, I hope we all send good thoughts in that direction! As well as to all areas that are seeing this monster.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-earlybuild02jun02-story,amp.html

Building Codes: South Florida ahead of rest of the state
Sun-Sentinel

A statewide uniform building code went into effect in January, designed to make our homes safer from hurricane damage.

But unlike the rest of the state, which is scratching its collective head over the building code's new requirements, South Floridians are ahead of the game. The new construction standards are based in part on the South Florida Building Code, which has been in effect for eight years in Broward, Palm and Miami-Dade counties.

"We've had a head start versus the rest of the state," said Rusty Carroll, chief structural code compliance officer for the Broward County Board of Rules and Appeals, which interprets the South Florida Building Code. "We've had all that stuff since 1994."

Palm Beach County will experience little change from the new code, officials confirmed, because it is also quite similar to the standards already in effect there.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Irma will be hitting water that is in the upper 80s to low 90s in temperature...and deep. Perfect food for this monster. According to the Weather Channel, Irma will probably come ashore as a strong Category 4. Storm surges predicted to be 8 to 10 feet...Miami is only 4 feet above sea level.

I'm not an expert on building codes, but this storm is going to test them to the extreme. I'm not in an evacuation zone in Leon County - just north of Zone D. I'm worried. I can't imagine what the people south of Orlando are going through right now - terror comes to mind. And I'm frightened for those who may be trapped on 95 or the Turnpike when this thing hits. Now saying Sunday AM - apparently Irma's booking it. Which could be a good thing. Andrew barreling through South Florida at 15 mph minimized the impact of that storm.

I don't pray (not a believer) but for those who do, please start.

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm also in a zone D, 4 houses down from a non-evacuation zone. I'm inland, and 4 blocks uphill from the St John's, so would need the river to rise about 20 ' before it would reach my bottom step. I started reviewing my old thread, and had forgotten about the sugar packets. I might take a walk to a nearby Walgreen's (no way am I going near a Publix) and pick some up. If they're out, I'll just bag some in snack bags and put them in an airtight container.

I've just finished going through, and sorting, my supplies. All will go into watertight containers, with the pre-storm stuff out - screws for attaching the plywood, sand for sandbags, rainsuits, plastic sheeting to cover clothes and linens in the upstairs closet in case the roof leaks, waterproof bags for ammo supplies, 5 gallon water containers, etc. A friend from PA jokingly said "I guess it's too late to go out and buy a water survival suit, lol." Just so happens I have two. And a couple of auto-inflate life jackets. ;)

The next batch contains flashlights, batteries, battery powered radio and TV - all of the stuff we'll need close at hand when the power goes out.

The last batch contains cleaning supplies, contractors bags, insect stuff, damp rid, air freshener, etc. For the miserable clean-up afterwards.

I don't have to mention that I have food, drinking water, utensils, etc. Plus I've started making my ice supply, and have gas for the generator. If our garage apartment is undamaged, we can run the window A/C if we need to get a few hours of solid sleep. Not every night, but maybe every 4th or so. Or for a nice nap - someone has to keep an eye on the generators.

Last time my neighbor had gas, so we moved everything over there to cook, and took turns napping in the garage apt. We didn't need to run two refrigerators as we used one for both houses.

I'm better prepared than most, mainly because I lost power for two weeks before and learned a lot.

21stamps

I'm also in a zone D, 4 houses down from a non-evacuation zone. I'm inland, and 4 blocks uphill from the St John's, so would need the river to rise about 20 ' before it would reach my bottom step. I started reviewing my old thread, and had forgotten about the sugar packets. I might take a walk to a nearby Walgreen's (no way am I going near a Publix) and pick some up. If they're out, I'll just bag some in snack bags and put them in an airtight container.

I've just finished going through, and sorting, my supplies. All will go into watertight containers, with the pre-storm stuff out - screws for attaching the plywood, sand for sandbags, rainsuits, plastic sheeting to cover clothes and linens in the upstairs closet in case the roof leaks, waterproof bags for ammo supplies, 5 gallon water containers, etc. A friend from PA jokingly said "I guess it's too late to go out and buy a water survival suit, lol." Just so happens I have two. And a couple of auto-inflate life jackets. ;)

The next batch contains flashlights, batteries, battery powered radio and TV - all of the stuff we'll need close at hand when the power goes out.

The last batch contains cleaning supplies, contractors bags, insect stuff, damp rid, air freshener, etc. For the miserable clean-up afterwards.

I don't have to mention that I have food, drinking water, utensils, etc. Plus I've started making my ice supply, and have gas for the generator. If our garage apartment is undamaged, we can run the window A/C if we need to get a few hours of solid sleep. Not every night, but maybe every 4th or so. Or for a nice nap - someone has to keep an eye on the generators.

Last time my neighbor had gas, so we moved everything over there to cook, and took turns napping in the garage apt. We didn't need to run two refrigerators as we used one for both houses.

I'm better prepared than most, mainly because I lost power for two weeks before and learned a lot.

You sound very prepared!

I hope for you that you don't lose power, but it sounds like you'll manage ok if you do!

LAKid53

Premium Member

Man, I thought I was prepared. But I'm 40 miles inland in a town that loves its trees. I've got batteries, LED candles, a lantern, food, some water (they're hoarding water in Tally too), cleaning supplies, trash bags, paper plates, cups, towels and plastic utensils and 4 huge coolers that I will get up early Saturday and get ice for. But no ammo.

I've survived 2 storms that knocked power out for a week each. But this is going to be much different.

Why the sugar in packets?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Man, I thought I was prepared. But I'm 40 miles inland in a town that loves its trees. I've got batteries, LED candles, a lantern, food, some water (they're hoarding water in Tally too), cleaning supplies, trash bags, paper plates, cups, towels and plastic utensils and 4 huge coolers that I will get up early Saturday and get ice for. But no ammo.

I've survived 2 storms that knocked power out for a week each. But this is going to be much different.

Why the sugar in packets?
Because coffee without sugar is a sin against nature.;)

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

After Sandy, we did the permanent standby generator. It was surprisingly easy to DIY and reasonably affordable. But when the power is out and you have working A/C or Heat, it's worth every penny spent.
IMG_3757.jpg

I'm also putting one in @Me 'Earties new house too. (She needs the bigger one for the hair dryer :p)

IMG_4607.jpg

lazyboy97o

The big concern regarding construction is that you design and test to a certain limit. While there are safety factors included in a design, if a window system has only been tested for a 180 mph gust (3 seconds) then that is what you know. You don’t have hard, tested data set on a 185 mph gust like this storm has produced.

LAKid53

Premium Member
After Sandy, we did the permanent standby generator. It was surprisingly easy to DIY and reasonably affordable. But when the power is out and you have working A/C or Heat, it's worth every penny spent.
View attachment 227390

I'm also putting one in @Me 'Earties new house too. (She needs the bigger one for the hair dryer :p)

View attachment 227389

Was thinking of doing that as part of my planned renovations next year. Just need A/C, fridge, hot water, some lights. Basically my kitchen, living room , bathroom and bedroom with A/C and hot water.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Was thinking of doing that as part of my planned renovations next year. Just need A/C, fridge, hot water, some lights. Basically my kitchen, living room , bathroom and bedroom with A/C and hot water.

They're very well worth it, and they add a lot of value to the home. A standard 20KW unit DIY will run you around $5K installed, using a professional probably $8K.

During Sandy we had a portable 8KW gas generator that worked fine, but it was loud and needed to be constantly filled with gas, that we couldn't get even though we stockpiled 30 gallons ahead of the storm. That's probably the worst part too, since I was at the firehouse running calls for almost two weeks, refilling the unit and operating it become problematic for those who were staying in my house at the time. But it made it through.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They're very well worth it, and they add a lot of value to the home. A standard 20KW unit DIY will run you around $5K installed, using a professional probably $8K.

During Sandy we had a portable 8KW gas generator that worked fine, but it was loud and needed to be constantly filled with gas, that we couldn't get even though we stockpiled 30 gallons ahead of the storm. That's probably the worst part too, since I was at the firehouse running calls for almost two weeks, refilling the unit and operating it become problematic for those who were staying in my house at the time. But it made it through.

That's really reasonable. I've got natural gas on my street, so no worries about a propane or diesel tank.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The big concern regarding construction is that you design and test to a certain limit. While there are safety factors included in a design, if a window system has only been tested for a 180 mph gust (3 seconds) then that is what you know. You don’t have hard, tested data set on a 185 mph gust like this storm has produced.
While they do not publish the data, I have little doubt that the manufacturer knows exactly where they fail at.

Most engineering safeguards that I have been privied to are at a value of 2 or more. Simpson Strong Tie hangers typically use a factor of 4. If a hanger fails at 2000 lbs in testing, its reported value is 500. The truss software I use is around 2.6-2.7.

This of course does not mean that a 180 mph window will be fine at 540 mph, but it would not surprise me a bit if a 180 mph rated window. correctly installed, would be fine into the mid 200s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom