The "For Real Son!" PTR - September-October 2012

Ok, I have been on these boards for several years but never posted a PTR or TR. I have read just about every TR on here and feel like I have a LOT to live up to! My very first PTR was HollyBelle's pre-wedding report and that set the bar HIGH. From there I proceeded to read her wedding TR, sobbing when she finally got to the ceremony! I then found myself devouring TR's from sweetpea, blackthidot, disneyfalcon, fashionista007, fractal, millerpoppins and sooooo many more of you. Thank you guys for sharing your trips....your reports gave me ideas, helped me order my meals and kept me from making (some) of the mistakes you made.

The title for my PTR comes from blackthidot's last TR and his captions on the SSE photos. You will have to go read his TR to get the reference, but suffice it to say that my husband and I just burst out laughing when we read it and I hear "For real son!" at least every 30 minutes at my house! I can't wait to ride SSE and yell "For real son" when we get to the appropriate scene. Yes, we are easily amused! Thanks John for the inspiration for the PTR title and all the laughs!

Now, for a little bit about myself....My name is Heidi and I am *gasp, cough* 42 years old. I am a family law attorney....meaning I do divorces, child custody, child visitation and child support cases with a little dab of dependency, abuse and neglect of children cases thrown in for giggles! My job is often depressing and very draining so I look forward to my escape from reality and heavy dose of happy at WDW. I am self-employed so my hours are wonderful and I do not claim to be overworked or highly stressed. I am blessed and I acknowledge that.

Disney2010095.jpg

Going on the trip with me are:

My husband, Ryan, age 39 (yes, he's younger). Ryan had never been to WDW until our first trip in 2007. He had no real desire to go, but went along with a great attitude. After the first few minutes at WDW, while in the lobby of POR, he was in love! He was amazed, thrilled and had a much better time then he ever anticipated. We vowed to return again and did in 2010. That trip was just as wonderful and we decided that we had to return sooner, so planned our 2012 trip. Ryan is a thrill ride junkie, while I prefer Soarin'.

My sons, Tucker (13) and Will (11). Tucker is an avowed Disney fanatic like his momma and his career plans are to study animation at the California Art Institute (or some such) and work as an animator at Pixar. Lofty goals, but we like to aim high! Will is a soccer mad boy whose entire life revolves around practicing soccer, playing soccer games, watching professional soccer....you get the picture. Will likes WDW but is ready to vacation somewhere else.

IMG_00021.jpg

IMG_00162.jpg

And here's the whole family
Disney2010107.jpg

My father, Fred, and my father's wife, Connie, (I hate to call her my stepmother as it seems to have such negative connotations!) are joining us for part of the trip. They joined us for a few days on our last trip and rather unexpectedly, fell in love with WDW too! I really think they just fell in love with my awesome planning--which gave them short lines, great meals with no wait, secret places to eat with no crowds and a plan everyday. :) Did I mention that I am an obsessive planner??

The fact my father now loves WDW is a source of great amusement to me. My parents took my brother, sister and I to WDW in 1974 (I think) and it was, to put it bluntly, the trip from h*ll! My parents had no hotel reservations and no plan whatsoever. They had lived in CA and visited Disneyland and I think they thought there would tons of hotels near WDW. We arrived at WDW to find the Contemporary (was it the only hotel at WDW in 1974?) booked. We ended up driving to Cocoa Beach to get a hotel room. We drove in to MK for a day and I insisted on wearing my brand, spanking new Mickey Mouse tennis shoes with NO SOCKS! The term "blisters" did not begin to describe what was on my little tender 5 year old feet by the end of a hot day in July. OUCH! My father complained about the endless lines and the terrible food quality...I remember eating a hot dog and chocolate pudding in the Contemporary and my father complaining loudly about the unhealthy food options....good grief, it was 1974, no one had heard of health food yet!!

I have some slides of that trip which I am going to try to post on here. It is pretty cool to see MK nearly 40 years ago. My dad almost threw out all the slides while converting his slides to a DVD recently, but I rescued a few from the trashcan!

Anyhoo...my dad swore WDW was his idea of h*ll on earth and he would never be back. He ate his words in 1984 when he and I returned together for a medical conference he was attending. We stayed at the, then, Buena Vista Palace, near the current DTD and spent lots of time at Epcot, which was the new park. He seemed to thaw a little towards WDW. Never would I imagine he would go with us in 2007 when we jokingly invited him along! I guess old age mellows you, LOL!

Ok, I am going to go ahead and try to post what I have so far. I have no idea what I'm doing and this will probably come up with links to pictures instead of my actual photos. I should have taken a TR tutorial before I tried this or at least read some instructions! Well....here goes!

minnielaw

Original Poster
Well, duh, I completely forgot to give the specifics about our trip!

We are leaving KY on Friday, September 28, 2012 and will arrive in WDW on Saturday, September 29. We are staying 7 nights at Boardwalk Villas and then 1 night at POFQ, leaving Sunday, October 7.

We are renting DVC points through David's Disney Vacation Club Rentals (www.dvcrequest.com). We had originally planned to stay at CSR, but I read about the DVC points rentals on a TR....thank you MEyeSeeKayEY and your "Boo to you and you and whew...It's too hot for a Halloween parade September 2011 TR"! You gave me the idea for the DVC points rental!

We ended up with a one bedroom studio at BWV's for less than the cost of a value resort room! Yes, we only have one queen bed and a couch bed, but Will routinely sleeps on the floor at home....why, I have no idea since he has a perfectly acceptable and comfy bed. Anyway, we decided that we could "rough it" to stay in the Boardwalk area. Epcot is our favorite resort and we have neglected DHS on our last two trips so this location should be perfect for us!

The downsides to renting DVC points are that you have to make reservations nearly a year in advance in order to get the resort of your choice AND you cannot change your reservations OR cancel them after they are made.

I put this in bold because I made our reservations in November 2011 and scheduled our trip for the first week in October 2012 which has always been Fall Break for our school system. In March 2012, I began hearing rumors that the county school system was going to change their Fall Break to the second week in October. Hmmm...I started getting nervous because the city school (where my children attend) has coordinated our Fall Break to coincide with the county school's Fall Break for the last several years. I called my contact on the school board and she advised that the school board had not yet voted on the 2012-2013 calendar BUT they were looking at moving Fall Break to the second week of October....WHAT???

So, my children are now going on Fall Break a week EARLY!! WOO HOO! My children love me :) Tucker is in 8th grade and Will is in 6th grade so I am a little concerned that they will be missing a week of school. I plan to speak to the principal as soon as school starts....helps that I am the PTA Vice President, wink, wink....and request some sort of educational credit for the trip. Yikes! I am not a teacher so I would greatly appreciate it if some of you teachers and home schoolers out there would offer suggestions!

I apologize that I am excessively verbose and tend to digress in my narrative. I will work on some different font styles and sizes and see if that makes the layout more readable.

Tomorrow, or whenever I can, I will post our itinerary and ADR's....we love to eat and dining is a huge part of our WDW experience.

P. S. I cannot believe I left out so many posters whose TR's I have loved...so here's to you derelicte19, popsicletrees, tiaragirl, enchanted_belle, foreverbelle, NewfieFan, Alison1975, wdwfigment, lebeau, sam_disney, Howe, Ariel484...thank you, thank you, thank you!! (surely that shout out will get me lots of "likes"??) :)

Weather_Lady

I have the same issue with the kids' school break falling on a different week than we thought it was going to! There are some sample letters at http://www.themouseforless.com/downloads/kids/SE.shtml you can use as a template if you'd like to try and get school credit for the trip. Also, this site has some good ideas for hands-on "lessons" you can teach while on your vacation. http://allears.net/pl/educ.htm

Have a wonderful time!

Other resources to check: http://www.squidoo.com/educational-attractions-at-Walt-Disney-World, http://disneyworldclassroom.com/

PolynesianPrincess

YAY for a PTR!! :) Holly's TR's definitely do set the bar high... lol And John's TR's are just hysterical!!

So jealous you'll be at BWV. I sooooo want to stay there. Right in the middle of the action. *sigh* we have to settle for All Star Sports this time but fingers crossed we will be staying at the Poly after the girls cruise next fall!!

Hopefully our paths will cross down in the world. It'd be super awesome to meet you!! :)

minnielaw

Original Poster
Enjoyed your story,have a magical vacation.:)

Thank you real mad hatter! My first response to my PTR!! Woo Hoo! I take that as a huge compliment from you! I love to read your all your threads in the Disney Dining section. Hoping you have a magical vacation as well! As I recall, you have a long vacation coming up with some awesome restaurant selections.

I have the same issue with the kids' school break falling on a different week than we thought it was going to! There are some sample letters at http://www.themouseforless.com/downloads/kids/SE.shtml you can use as a template if you'd like to try and get school credit for the trip. Also, this site has some good ideas for hands-on "lessons" you can teach while on your vacation. http://allears.net/pl/educ.htm

Have a wonderful time!

Other resources to check: http://www.squidoo.com/educational-attractions-at-Walt-Disney-World, http://disneyworldclassroom.com/

Thank you so much Weather_Lady! I really appreciate the links to school credit ideas....just what I needed! It never even entered my mind that the school would move Fall Break! It has been the first week of October since my boys began kindergarten in 2003! I started to go to the school board meeting and lodge my protest, but I figured it wasn't all about me. :)

YAY for a PTR!! :) Holly's TR's definitely do set the bar high... lol And John's TR's are just hysterical!!

So jealous you'll be at BWV. I sooooo want to stay there. Right in the middle of the action. *sigh* we have to settle for All Star Sports this time but fingers crossed we will be staying at the Poly after the girls cruise next fall!!

Hopefully our paths will cross down in the world. It'd be super awesome to meet you!! :)

Darolyn! I am so excited to see you on my PTR! :) I have been reading along on your TR and enjoying it so much. Haven't seen any comments from John....do you think he's trapped somewhere?? Should we send out a search party?

I am SUPER excited about staying at BWV's!! On our previous two trips we stayed at PORS and I was perfectly content to return there. My boys looked at some of the resorts and decided that CSR was their choice. I figured, what the heck, let's try something new. When I priced the trip with 8 day park hoppers and the dining plan it was over $4,000.00. I was hoping for free dining to ease the cost, but then I saw the TR with the comment on renting DVC points. I hopped over to the dvcrequest website and priced a studio at AKL for 7 nights....$1,000! SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!! Of course no free DDP, but the cost savings was greater AND we are staying at a deluxe resort next to our favorite park! WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!

We will be checking in on the afternoon of the ToT race, but I am no runner! I was hoping to meet Kelly (sweetpea) but not sure if she is still doing a cruise that week or not. I have seriously considered the girl's cruise next fall....my only hold up is my overwhelming mother's guilt at leaving my children. My boys REALLY want to go on a cruise and that would be a little cruel to go without them. Maybe I can convince the whole family to come and then ditch the males in my group. Hmmm....

I will definitely be on the lookout for you at the world. :)

minnielaw

Original Poster
Our trip itinerary is as follows:

Friday, September 28
Leave KY around 5:00 p.m when Ryan gets off work. We are driving to Macon, GA (around 6 hours) and staying at a Hampton Inn that we discovered on our last trip....awesomely comfortable beds and a deluxe, free breakfast buffet. :D

Saturday, September 29
Leave Macon around 9:00 a.m and arrive at WDW around 3:00 p.m. Check in at the BWV's and head to Cape May Cafe for our 5:35 ADR's. I asked everyone to pick one restaurant for the trip and Cape May was both of boys' request! I think it's fine, but I would have been happy to skip....however, those oreo bon bons are the bomb!

Sunday, September 30
Our first morning waking up in WDW and we will probably head to the Boardwalk Bakery for some breakfast. We plan to do the Gospel Brunch at HOB in DTD either today or the following Sunday. My dad and his wife are arriving around 3 or 4 and we have dinner ADR's at Tutto Italia at 5:45. Hoping this is a good choice :confused: This is a new restaurant for us, but Will LOVES Italian and we missed our ADR at Tutto on our last trip, because I forgot to check my itinerary and thought we were eating at Boma that night. :oops: After dinner we will likely head to DHS for EMH or just wander around the WS.

Monday, October 1
Epcot's 30th (?) Anniversary and we will either head to Epcot or the MK if the crowds are too heavy. We have dinner ADR's at Kona Cafe at 5:40 p.m. We all loved Kona last trip and everyone wanted to return! After dinner it's MK for EMH until 12:00 a.m.

Tuesday, October 2
Animal Kingdom day! We have dinner ADR's at Sanaa at 5:15 p.m., right after park closing. After dinner we will either head to DTD to shop or explore the Boardwalk area.

Wednesday, October 3
We have lunch ADR's at Le Cellier (a first for us!) so we will probably spend the day at Epcot. We also have dinner ADR's at Via Napoli and we may skip this for snacking around the World....it is Food & Wine Festival! Tonight is EMH at Epcot until 12:00 a.m.

Thursday, October 4
My dad and his wife leave today, so we planned a "free day". The boys can decide what they would like to do. Dinner ADR's at Rose & Crown for 7:50 p.m.......Illuminations viewing on the back deck!! :D

Friday, October 5
We plan to do breakfast a Kona Cafe (a first for us! TONGA TOAST!!) and then spend the day at MK and/or DHS. We have dinner ADR's at Ohana at 6:35 p.m....another first and very anticipated by all of us!

Saturday, October 6
We are checking out of BWV's this morning and moving to POFQ for one night. Why, you ask? Well, we decided we wanted to add a day to our trip after we had already booked the DVC points rental. We couldn't do another night at BWV's (unless we wanted to pay rack rate for a deluxe resort on a holiday weekend...NOT!) so we decided to try a new resort POFQ. We love PORS and plan to take the boat to DTD which is usually our first night activity when we are at PORS.

Definitely trying some beignets at POFQ and dinner is unplanned at this point but will likely be Earl of Sandwich, Raglan Road or Cooke's of Dublin.

Sunday, October 7
Check out day....:eek: We may stay around until the early evening hitting the parks and driving home halfway like on the way down or we may check out early in the morning and drive straight through. Depends on how we feel and whether we have parks/rides/etc. we still want to see. We have no DDP for the last day, so meals will be at QS.

Hopefully we will book a return vacation while we are there and get a fabulous bounceback offer like 50% off at the Polynesian :p

That's our trip and I am open to suggestions, heckles, derision or whatever!

Summary of ADR's
Cape May Cafe
Tutto Italia * new for us
Kona Cafe (dinner and breakfast...heck, maybe lunch too!)
Sanaa * new for us
Le Cellier * new for us
Via Napoli
Rose & Crown
Ohana * new for us

We also plan to hit up Beaches and Cream and HOB.

chrissyw14

Sorry your job is depressing but thats great that you can make your own hours!

My first TR that got me into TRs and made me want to make one was Tom Bricker's (wdwfigment)!
I love thrill rides as well but I am soo bored with the local 6 flags! Disney just has soo much more to offer!

Good luck to Tucker I am hoping he will get to do animation for Disney! My sister is really smart and is going to go to school for engineering so I really want her to become an imagineer!:)

Boardwalk is such a pretty hotel! I love going on the Boardwalk- you are going to want to check out the arcade at ESPN club, some of the video games are free! its sooo fun!

And your kids will be fine missing a week of school! its early in the year anyway and Disney is educational :) It will also be our first time at Le Cellier and 'Ohana sooo excited!

minnielaw

Original Poster
Sorry your job is depressing but thats great that you can make your own hours!

My first TR that got me into TRs and made me want to make one was Tom Bricker's (wdwfigment)!
I love thrill rides as well but I am soo bored with the local 6 flags! Disney just has soo much more to offer!

Good luck to Tucker I am hoping he will get to do animation for Disney! My sister is really smart and is going to go to school for engineering so I really want her to become an imagineer!:)

Boardwalk is such a pretty hotel! I love going on the Boardwalk- you are going to want to check out the arcade at ESPN club, some of the video games are free! its sooo fun!

And your kids will be fine missing a week of school! its early in the year anyway and Disney is educational :) It will also be our first time at Le Cellier and 'Ohana sooo excited!

Welcome to my PTR Chrissy! It's so exciting to realize that people are really reading it! :cool:

I too LOVE Tom Bricker's TR's and now visit his Disney Tourist Blog for his trip reports and dining reviews. His photos are absolutely gorgeous...I could stare at his SSE photos all day!

Thanks for the good luck wishes to Tucker! Hope your sister becomes an imagineer....maybe someday they will work together! Tucker wants to be imagineer too...he's torn between Pixar and Disney. He wrote a letter to John Lasseter a few months ago and received a letter and autographed Cars photo last week! He was over the moon! The letter was from the Pixar staff as John was "busy working on 'Brave' and unable to personally answer his mail" However, the letter was personalized and responded to specific questions that Tucker had asked. He was thrilled and I hope it motivates him to keep working toward his dream.

My JOB is not so much depressing...it's the stories that I hear and the personalities that I deal with. I love helping people and chose family law specifically for that reason. Sometimes the bitterness, vindictiveness and pettiness of people who once loved each other but now would like to see each other rot in h#ll just gets to me. Fortunately, not all my clients are like that and the reasonable ones who value their children above all else and just want to make it out with as little hurt as possible definitely make my job enjoyable! Escaping to WDW is so good for me and I wish I had discovered it much sooner in life! I had been to WDW 4 times before I was married and was told by all the "experts" that I shouldn't take the boys until they were at least 5. Sounded reasonable to me, so we waited until Will was nearly 7 and Tucker was 8. I wish we had visited sooner, but then again, I'm not sure I could have handled toddlers at WDW.....patience is not a virtue that comes naturally to me!

I'm super excited about staying at the Boardwalk! We "found" the Boardwalk area on our last trip and I dreamed about staying at the Beach or Yacht Club. When I reserved the DVC points I had to list my resort choices in order and I had AKL first and then picked BWV's next just because of the location. I pretty depressed at first when we didn't get AKL, but then I realized that the BWV's location was so much better for us. The fact that I will be able to WALK to Epcot whenever I want makes me super happy! :D

I forgot I also wanted to say that I'd loveee to see those pictures from the slides!! I love old school Disney pictures

I really need someone to tell me how to get the slides on here! I guess I need to project them and then photograph the projection. My dad just had most of slides converted to a DVD, but he didn't do the WDW ones with no people in them. I will work on that!

chrissyw14

Welcome to my PTR Chrissy! It's so exciting to realize that people are really reading it! :cool:

I too LOVE Tom Bricker's TR's and now visit his Disney Tourist Blog for his trip reports and dining reviews. His photos are absolutely gorgeous...I could stare at his SSE photos all day!

Thanks for the good luck wishes to Tucker! Hope your sister becomes an imagineer....maybe someday they will work together! Tucker wants to be imagineer too...he's torn between Pixar and Disney. He wrote a letter to John Lasseter a few months ago and received a letter and autographed Cars photo last week! He was over the moon! The letter was from the Pixar staff as John was "busy working on 'Brave' and unable to personally answer his mail" However, the letter was personalized and responded to specific questions that Tucker had asked. He was thrilled and I hope it motivates him to keep working toward his dream.

My JOB is not so much depressing...it's the stories that I hear and the personalities that I deal with. I love helping people and chose family law specifically for that reason. Sometimes the bitterness, vindictiveness and pettiness of people who once loved each other but now would like to see each other rot in h#ll just gets to me. Fortunately, not all my clients are like that and the reasonable ones who value their children above all else and just want to make it out with as little hurt as possible definitely make my job enjoyable! Escaping to WDW is so good for me and I wish I had discovered it much sooner in life! I had been to WDW 4 times before I was married and was told by all the "experts" that I shouldn't take the boys until they were at least 5. Sounded reasonable to me, so we waited until Will was nearly 7 and Tucker was 8. I wish we had visited sooner, but then again, I'm not sure I could have handled toddlers at WDW.....patience is not a virtue that comes naturally to me!

I'm super excited about staying at the Boardwalk! We "found" the Boardwalk area on our last trip and I dreamed about staying at the Beach or Yacht Club. When I reserved the DVC points I had to list my resort choices in order and I had AKL first and then picked BWV's next just because of the location. I pretty depressed at first when we didn't get AKL, but then I realized that the BWV's location was so much better for us. The fact that I will be able to WALK to Epcot whenever I want makes me super happy! :D

I really need someone to tell me how to get the slides on here! I guess I need to project them and then photograph the projection. My dad just had most of slides converted to a DVD, but he didn't do the WDW ones with no people in them. I will work on that!

I like how you can see how many people viewed the post but then I'm like I want them to comment and like my posts; getting comments and likes is like addictive!:rolleyes:
Tom Bricker is a really big inspiration to me!

That would be really cool if my sister and Tucker worked together one day! Thats sooo nice that he got a personalized letter back with a signed photo! That does make sense, not to take them until they were at least 5, my mom and dad took me when I was 4 in May because my mom was pregnant with my sister and they wanted to spend time with me I guess- really sweet idea! I would say you'd have to be careful with kids ages who are far apart because when we went again my sister really wanted to ride Space Mountain but she was a little too short, but then they got to baby swap me everywhere! :)

The past times I went with my family we stayed at the Swan and Dolphin and we loved it, spent a lot more time in EPCOT and we loved going to MGM to get some ToT rides at night!

and I have no idea how you would get the slides on here, if you don't convert them to a DVD then taking a picture of it should work fine, for here anyway!

Vtlsgns2

Well, duh, I completely forgot to give the specifics about our trip!

We are leaving KY on Friday, September 28, 2012 and will arrive in WDW on Saturday, September 29. We are staying 7 nights at Boardwalk Villas and then 1 night at POFQ, leaving Sunday, October 7.

We are renting DVC points through David's Disney Vacation Club Rentals (www.dvcrequest.com). We had originally planned to stay at CSR, but I read about the DVC points rentals on a TR....thank you MEyeSeeKayEY and your "Boo to you and you and whew...It's too hot for a Halloween parade September 2011 TR"! You gave me the idea for the DVC points rental!

We ended up with a one bedroom studio at BWV's for less than the cost of a value resort room! Yes, we only have one queen bed and a couch bed, but Will routinely sleeps on the floor at home....why, I have no idea since he has a perfectly acceptable and comfy bed. Anyway, we decided that we could "rough it" to stay in the Boardwalk area. Epcot is our favorite resort and we have neglected DHS on our last two trips so this location should be perfect for us!

The downsides to renting DVC points are that you have to make reservations nearly a year in advance in order to get the resort of your choice AND you cannot change your reservations OR cancel them after they are made.

I put this in bold because I made our reservations in November 2011 and scheduled our trip for the first week in October 2012 which has always been Fall Break for our school system. In March 2012, I began hearing rumors that the county school system was going to change their Fall Break to the second week in October. Hmmm...I started getting nervous because the city school (where my children attend) has coordinated our Fall Break to coincide with the county school's Fall Break for the last several years. I called my contact on the school board and she advised that the school board had not yet voted on the 2012-2013 calendar BUT they were looking at moving Fall Break to the second week of October....WHAT???

So, my children are now going on Fall Break a week EARLY!! WOO HOO! My children love me :) Tucker is in 8th grade and Will is in 6th grade so I am a little concerned that they will be missing a week of school. I plan to speak to the principal as soon as school starts....helps that I am the PTA Vice President, wink, wink....and request some sort of educational credit for the trip. Yikes! I am not a teacher so I would greatly appreciate it if some of you teachers and home schoolers out there would offer suggestions!

I apologize that I am excessively verbose and tend to digress in my narrative. I will work on some different font styles and sizes and see if that makes the layout more readable.

Tomorrow, or whenever I can, I will post our itinerary and ADR's....we love to eat and dining is a huge part of our WDW experience.

P. S. I cannot believe I left out so many posters whose TR's I have loved...so here's to you derelicte19, popsicletrees, tiaragirl, enchanted_belle, foreverbelle, NewfieFan, Alison1975, wdwfigment, lebeau, sam_disney, Howe, Ariel484...thank you, thank you, thank you!! (surely that shout out will get me lots of "likes"??) :)

Sounds like a wonderful time. Can't wait to read what I'm sure will be a lovely trip report!

minnielaw

Original Poster
Sounds like a wonderful time. Can't wait to read what I'm sure will be a lovely trip report!

Thank you! It is shocking how gratifying it is to get comments on your PTR! :)

I am going to seek some advice on preparing and posting the actual TR. I am just typing this PTR manually on the website, but I think there is a way to type it in Word and then cut and paste to the forum.

minnielaw

Original Poster
I like how you can see how many people viewed the post but then I'm like I want them to comment and like my posts; getting comments and likes is like addictive!:rolleyes:
Tom Bricker is a really big inspiration to me!

That would be really cool if my sister and Tucker worked together one day! Thats sooo nice that he got a personalized letter back with a signed photo! That does make sense, not to take them until they were at least 5, my mom and dad took me when I was 4 in May because my mom was pregnant with my sister and they wanted to spend time with me I guess- really sweet idea! I would say you'd have to be careful with kids ages who are far apart because when we went again my sister really wanted to ride Space Mountain but she was a little too short, but then they got to baby swap me everywhere! :)

The past times I went with my family we stayed at the Swan and Dolphin and we loved it, spent a lot more time in EPCOT and we loved going to MGM to get some ToT rides at night!

and I have no idea how you would get the slides on here, if you don't convert them to a DVD then taking a picture of it should work fine, for here anyway!

It IS totally addictive that you can see how many people have viewed your PTR! I am checking it like twice a day to see if anyone has commented....that sounds a little pathetic ;) Glad that someone is reading and enjoying it because I enjoy doing it.

I will take a picture of his letter and photo from Pixar and post later today or tomorrow. I was really shocked they took the time to respond and to send such a nice photo.

chrissyw14

It IS totally addictive that you can see how many people have viewed your PTR! I am checking it like twice a day to see if anyone has commented....that sounds a little pathetic ;) Glad that someone is reading and enjoying it because I enjoy doing it.

I will take a picture of his letter and photo from Pixar and post later today or tomorrow. I was really shocked they took the time to respond and to send such a nice photo.
It will be really cool to see the letter!

we have to remember that people who viewed the PTR most likely read it even if they didn't like or comment on it lol

PolynesianPrincess

Darolyn! I am so excited to see you on my PTR! :) I have been reading along on your TR and enjoying it so much. Haven't seen any comments from John....do you think he's trapped somewhere?? Should we send out a search party?

I am SUPER excited about staying at BWV's!! On our previous two trips we stayed at PORS and I was perfectly content to return there. My boys looked at some of the resorts and decided that CSR was their choice. I figured, what the heck, let's try something new. When I priced the trip with 8 day park hoppers and the dining plan it was over $4,000.00. I was hoping for free dining to ease the cost, but then I saw the TR with the comment on renting DVC points. I hopped over to the dvcrequest website and priced a studio at AKL for 7 nights....$1,000! SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!! Of course no free DDP, but the cost savings was greater AND we are staying at a deluxe resort next to our favorite park! WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!

We will be checking in on the afternoon of the ToT race, but I am no runner! I was hoping to meet Kelly (sweetpea) but not sure if she is still doing a cruise that week or not. I have seriously considered the girl's cruise next fall....my only hold up is my overwhelming mother's guilt at leaving my children. My boys REALLY want to go on a cruise and that would be a little cruel to go without them. Maybe I can convince the whole family to come and then ditch the males in my group. Hmmm....

I will definitely be on the lookout for you at the world. :)

John's still alive. I just texted him make sure lol

I love renting the DVC points. We would have done that this time around but we lucked out and got free dining. Otherwise we would have rented points. We did check to see if they had anything available just to see what we would have for options and they only had Saratoga Springs and we wanted to be at one of the host hotels for the race and SSR is not one of them :(

I'm not sure if Kelly is going to be there. I know she switched her cruise and went in May so I have no clue if she is still going to be doing one in Sept or not. Hopefully! I'd love to see her!!

I can't wait for the girls cruise!! I'd say book the cruise for the whole family and the guys can do their thing and you can come hang out with us ladies!! :)

minnielaw

Original Poster
Here is the letter he received from Pixar. The reply addressed his questions regarding college majors to pursue for a career in animation.

Pixar008.jpg

And here is the autographed Cars photo that Pixar sent with the letter!
Pixar009.jpg

He was absolutely thrilled with both the letter and the photo! Thank you Pixar and John Lasseter...hopefully someday my son will be working for you!

minnielaw

Original Poster
76 more days!!!

Since I left you about two weeks ago, my computer contracted a very nasty virus and died. My husband took heroic measures to save it and after about a week of surgery and life support, it was revived! This entailed wiping the hard drive and re-installing all the programs. Very time consuming for my husband, but much cheaper than buying a new computer.

Each year before our WDW trip I have made a countdown calendar that the boys can mark off each day. For the first trip I simply used white paper and a ruler to draw small blocks that I then filled in with numbers. For our second trip I got a little jazzy and added some Disney stickers. Still, totally lame. Well, this year I did something a little different.....

Pixar010.jpg

Ta da....my shutterfly WDW photo countdown calendar! I totally borrowed this idea from Tom Bricker at Disney Tourist Blog. Each month we tried to theme the photos to the month (i.e, Winter Summerland pics in December, Candy Cauldron in October) and each person got to choose their photos for their birthday month. Below is a photo of the October boys!

Pixar011.jpg

Since we are leaving in September, this is the last month on our calendar.

Pixar012.jpg

Not sure why this is sideways, but I can't seem to change it! Sorry!

Getting ready to order my park tickets and I could just kick myself for not purchasing before the price increase!! Duh, why did I not do that??? I am ordering from Undercover Tourist and am hoping they are reputable. Since they advertise on this site, I am assuming they are legit.

Our dining plan has to be purchased at least 30 days prior to our arrival. We have to contact Dave's DVC and they contact the DVC owner. I will purchase a Disney gift card in the amount of the DDP cost and the DVC owner will use the gift card to order the DDP. Safer than giving the DVC owner your credit card info!

We have had the DDP on all of our trips (either purchased or free) and this year I am waffling on whether or not it is worth the cost. This is our first trip where both the boys are considered "adults" (come on WDW, an "adult" at age 10!!!) and the cost goes up significantly. However, with the savings on the room, even paying for the DDP still results in a savings over what we had priced our CSR room and tickets only. So, I guess I will go ahead and do the DDP and then next trip go without. I want to compare the actual cost difference and the difference in the way and amount we eat with and without the DDP. I have been a staunch defender of the DDP, but at over $1,400 I just don't know that we can eat that much food! That's $200 a day just on food! I love the convenience of prepaying for my meals, but I am beginning to see the wisdom in the arguments against the DDP. I think it made sense when my boys were "children" but the cost increase greatly decreases its value.

Anyhoo, I am beginning to gather my WDW "stuff"....ponchos (yes, I read the great ponchos vs. rain jackets vs. umbrellas debate on another thread!), back pack, water bottle holder thingy, etc. I am going to start purchasing some travel sized toiletries and glow bracelets when at Wal-Mart. I also need to make our reservations at the Hampton Inn on the way there and back.

My dad surprised us and paid for our hotel room as my "trip planning fee"!! Woot Woot!! Now everything else I save is spending and gas money!

fractal

Love your PTR! I think you are going to enjoy Saana and the Epcot area is just an awesome place to stay.
The letter and picture from PIXAR is great. My son had some interest in pursuing an "artistic career" when he was younger and kept
saying he wanted to go to the California Institute of Arts ( established by Walt ). If your son still has that drive by the time he's in high school, it may be
something to look into to.

The calendar is such a cool idea and yours looks great! Looking forward to more and to the TR. You'll be in the world during my birthday.:)

minnielaw

Original Poster
Love your PTR! I think you are going to enjoy Saana and the Epcot area is just an awesome place to stay.
The letter and picture from PIXAR is great. My son had some interest in pursuing an "artistic career" when he was younger and kept
saying he wanted to go to the California Institute of Arts ( established by Walt ). If your son still has that drive by the time he's in high school, it may be
something to look into to.

The calendar is such a cool idea and yours looks great! Looking forward to more and to the TR. You'll be in the world during my birthday.:)

Thank you Fractal! I loved your TR! The photos of your youngest daughter and the big smile on her face when the two of you headed out to the parks alone were just awesome! What a great dad you are....creating some unforgettable moments for your children.

Yes, I am very excited about Sanaa. I was a little unsure simply because my dad is kind of a picky eater and not a fan of spicy (not hot, but overly spiced) food. However, his wife looked at the menu and she said "Who cares! I really want to eat there!". I seem to remember that you made a little video of Sanaa that I watched, right?

My son is kind of torn between a desire to be an animator for Pixar and a desire to be an Imagineer for Disney. Either one sounds pretty cool to me! We live in a fairly small town and unfortunately there are very few opportunities here for him to develop his talent through classes or camps. The schools only offer art as a "rotation" class along with gym, library, computers and music....you take the class one day each week and the class offered "rotates" each day. If he remains interested in animation, we will probably send him to a camp that I found at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN. So far, that's the closest camp I could find for him!

We have really enjoyed the calendar! I thought with over 400 photos from our last trip that I would have trouble narrowing down a few for the calendar, but in actuality I had trouble finding a few that were "calendar worthy"!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom