Taking time out of trip for DVC?

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hey all,
I know there is a DVC thread but I wanted to get the opinions of the planners. I value and love my time at WDW, as we all do. But I am thinking this trip, we should get info on DVC. We love GF and would love to own there. Its probably completely out of our grasp but we are hopeful. What we wanted to know is...does it take away from the Disney magic hearing a sales pitch? how hard of a sell is it - we really just want info? how long does it take? And since we want to see GF, do we go to GF? For planning purposes, I would like to know how much time to block out of our trip to do this if we decide to sit through the presentation.

Thank you!

Ex-Floridian

Hey all,
I know there is a DVC thread but I wanted to get the opinions of the planners. I value and love my time at WDW, as we all do. But I am thinking this trip, we should get info on DVC. We love GF and would love to own there. Its probably completely out of our grasp but we are hopeful. What we wanted to know is...does it take away from the Disney magic hearing a sales pitch? how hard of a sell is it - we really just want info? how long does it take? And since we want to see GF, do we go to GF? For planning purposes, I would like to know how much time to block out of our trip to do this if we decide to sit through the presentation.

Thank you!

We went on the am of last day and got free $15 gift cards for everyone in party. Reality is---its expensive! The DVCs used ot be a good deal but now they are so expensive...there is little savings, even if you come back every year. They also bring you front and center to the park you want!

Upvote 0

LowesChevy

If you sign up at the kiosks in the park or DTD, they schedule an appointment for you based on whatever time you have and their availability. If it is really something you are interested in hearing about sign up for the tour. They come pick you up at your resort and take you to the sales center at Saratoga Springs. They show you the mocked up villas there. which is really neat. Afterwards they give you gift cards or fastpasses it was before and you can have ice cream if you wanted. Then the van takes you back to your resort or park. I dont think it took longer than an hour, but we bought in so it took a while longer to get the paperwork signed.

Our salesman was a really nice guy-he laid it all out and basically left us to discuss it for a few minutes. We fit the profile-yearly trips, stay deluxes and vary in group size, it just works well for us. No high pressure tactics from him. Depends on what your WDW time is worth to you-maybe if you have a timeline for saving money it is helpful.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

When we took the tour, it was @ SS. The van picked us up from our resort (we scheduled a time). It was in 2009, so it was Kidani Village and BLT as well as Treehouse Villas. Even then, it was expensive, but oh so desirable! No pressure. In the end, we almost did it, but just couldn't justify the costs/annual fees. The boys had ice cream, they took our picture, and we got FPasses. It took about 2 hours (we asked lots of questions).

Upvote 0

fredtom

I think you'll find it a pleasurable experience. The presentation takes about an hour depending on your questions. It's low key and not high pressure... mainly information on how DVC works, what's available and the costs. As others mentioned, pick-up and drop-off transportation is provided and there are usually some freebie gifts for attending.

Ask for Tony Heard when making your appointment. He's our vacation guide... really nice guy, very pleasant and sincere.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :)

Upvote 0

rufio

It takes awhile and you have to have a steel will if you really JUST want info, because they are ruthless. But you get fast passes, ice cream, and gift cards out of the deal, so it's really not that bad. Just sign up at a kiosk and they'll tell you where to go next! I signed up at DTD and a guy drove us over to SSR (DVC office) in a golf cart.

Upvote 0

Joshua&CalebDad

We are planning on doing the tour when we go in November. I have actually already talked to them on the phone and plan on scheduling a tour prior to our arrival, and yes you can do that. We arrive on a Sunday around noon and won't be going into the parks till the late in the afternoon so we thought we might hit them up that day when we arrive.

We did the tour last year and it wasn't bad. About an hour long and it wasn't a hard sale at all. It was worth it for the info.

Upvote 0

71dsp

We enjoyed it, but ultimately decided it wasn't for us. I don't think it took more than an hour. We did some FPs and my son was able to get some ice cream. :)

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

Wow...I can't believe how much everyone gets wined and dined so to speak!!! When we talked to DVC in 2006 all they did was sit down with us at the DVC desk in the lobby of our hotel (WL) and give us their sales pitch and turn us loose back into the lobby...I feel gyped! At that time and still now we could not rationalize the buy in and recurring fees.

Each to his own but I do vacation elsewhere besides TDO and would rather have true choice than constantly be concerned over whether or not I can find a DVC resort where I want to go...or more to the point go where I can find a resort, have the right number of points, get a reservation ETC. It is fine for some folks but was just not a good fit for us.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

Definetly no sales pressure. Didn't take much time at all. They picked us up at DHS park, went to SS resort and they gave us fastpasses and ice cream, then returned us to the park. At the time I went they had some room models set up there for Kidani Village and BLT.

Upvote 0

Funfy

I think you'll find it a pleasurable experience. The presentation takes about an hour depending on your questions. It's low key and not high pressure... mainly information on how DVC works, what's available and the costs. As others mentioned, pick-up and drop-off transportation is provided and there are usually some freebie gifts for attending.

Ask for Tony Heard when making your appointment. He's our vacation guide... really nice guy, very pleasant and sincere.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :)

I am putting in a plug for Jim McCoy. We love him and never received any pressure even after waiting about a 1 1/2 after we got the package. We now have bought in over 3 times. Wish we had done it sooner!

Upvote 0

bethymouse

I am putting in a plug for Jim McCoy. We love him and never received any pressure even after waiting about a 1 1/2 after we got the package. We now have bought in over 3 times. Wish we had done it sooner!
OMG- Jim McCoy is wonderful! We didn't buy, but he is so patient and kind.:)

Upvote 0

kashmir

What is the benefit of buying in 3 times? I'm not sure I understand how it works...

Upvote 0

jpittore1

After we went several times to WDW, we decided to listen and we bought. We are now kicking ourselves why we didn't buy sooner since we look back and think how much we could have saved. Based on my calculations, our points at AKL, will have a return on our investment after our 4th trip to DL next year. We've used it for 2 WDW vacations and a RCI exchange at Hilton Head. Yes, we will still have the annual dues, but it still is less than what we would be paying for the better rooms.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

What is the benefit of buying in 3 times? I'm not sure I understand how it works...
It means after they first bought points to become Disney members, they added on points 2 additional times. Unlike a timeshare where you're allotted a week, DVC operates under a points system. How many points you need depends on a: the resort b: the time of year, c: the size of the accommodation and sometimes d: the "view category." (like Bay lake Tower has a standard view, a lake view and a Magic Kingdom view) Sometimes after you buy in, you decide that for the amount of time you'd like to go you'll need more points. Or your family gets bigger so instead of a studio, you need a 1br or 2br unit, maybe even a 3BR Grand Villa. So you can buy more points to adjust for your needs.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

Wow...I can't believe how much everyone gets wined and dined so to speak!!! When we talked to DVC in 2006 all they did was sit down with us at the DVC desk in the lobby of our hotel (WL) and give us their sales pitch and turn us loose back into the lobby...I feel gyped! At that time and still now we could not rationalize the buy in and recurring fees.

Each to his own but I do vacation elsewhere besides TDO and would rather have true choice than constantly be concerned over whether or not I can find a DVC resort where I want to go...or more to the point go where I can find a resort, have the right number of points, get a reservation ETC. It is fine for some folks but was just not a good fit for us.

That is odd! They usually give you a little speech and shwo you through their few pics and try to schedule to sit down with a guide @ SSR. Back in 03' they catered too us. If I asked them to do a couple of back-flips I bet they would have at least tried.

DVC is getting soooo expensive to purchase directly through Disney. I cannot imagine paying todays prices. The payback will be much longer. There are so many resale contracts out their to purchase and if you plan to use the points stricktly for travel on Disney property then it is a no brainer.

Upvote 0

kashmir

It means after they first bought points to become Disney members, they added on points 2 additional times. Unlike a timeshare where you're allotted a week, DVC operates under a points system. How many points you need depends on a: the resort b: the time of year, c: the size of the accommodation and sometimes d: the "view category." (like Bay lake Tower has a standard view, a lake view and a Magic Kingdom view) Sometimes after you buy in, you decide that for the amount of time you'd like to go you'll need more points. Or your family gets bigger so instead of a studio, you need a 1br or 2br unit, maybe even a 3BR Grand Villa. So you can buy more points to adjust for your needs.

Thanks for the info.!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom