Doubting Avatar

GLaDOS

Hahaha! just because they're going to make 3 more movies doesn't mean they're going to be good movie, they made 3 more Star Wars movie and everyone assumed they would be good too but the reviews of the Star Wars prequels, are mixed at best, shall we say

Yup. The first one wasn't any good. The guy hasn't made a good movie since the mid 90s...

tl77

You might want to examine Cameron's track record at IMDB.com.

And you should examine Andrew Stanton's record up until John Carter...
No one ever sets out to make a bad movie, but at any point it could all go horribly wrong. Unfortunately NO ONE know is if a movie is bad until after it comes out, so building a $500,000,000 monument to 3 films that have yet to be made is not such a good idea in my opinion

Magenta Panther

Copy pastaed for truth:

So yeah, with Cameron filming three Avatar sequels back to back for a possible billion dollar price tag, I have to say all the people saying Avatar is a bad choice and Beastly Kingdom would have been a better idea are looking a bit more unreasonable. People need to stop being in denial about this I think. Avatar is going to be the new Star Wars and it's going to be bigger than Harry Potter.​

Doubt it. Harry Potter appeals to the entire family. Avatar, not so much. There are no books to support it, and as for Avatar merchandise....is there even any? As for your Star Wars argument, it's also doubtful. The significant thing about SW is that it's stood the test of time. The jury is still out about that when it comes to Avatar. It doesn't help that 99% of Avatar's appeal is eye candy. There is no strong story, no strong characters, just neat-o critters and special effects (in my opinion).

Besides, just because more Avatar films are in the offing (and which is not exactly news) doesn't mean anything regarding the proposed ride/attraction that Iger doesn't want to talk about anymore. :p

Taylor

And you should examine Andrew Stanton's record up until John Carter...
No one ever sets out to make a bad movie, but at any point it could all go horribly wrong. Unfortunately NO ONE know is if a movie is bad until after it comes out, so building a $500,000,000 monument to 3 films that have yet to be made is not such a good idea in my opinion
In fairness to Stanton John Carter's performance was Disneys marketings fault

tl77

Copy pastaed for truth:

So yeah, with Cameron filming three Avatar sequels back to back for a possible billion dollar price tag, I have to say all the people saying Avatar is a bad choice and Beastly Kingdom would have been a better idea are looking a bit more unreasonable. People need to stop being in denial about this I think. Avatar is going to be the new Star Wars and it's going to be bigger than Harry Potter. It's going to be a franchise of humongous proportions, and Cameron, being the perfectionist he is, is not going to drop the ball. I think this has probably been one of the best strategic decisions Disney ever made for WDW.​
I also see some of the phony insiders pushing an agenda being refuted. There is no way in heck Disney is going to cancel something like this. It would be flushing money and probably wild increases in revenue and them park attendance straight down the toilet. if that were to occur, I think there would need to be a corporate housecleaning of epic proportions just to get rid of all the incompetent decision makers that stopped it from happening.​
But that's a scenario for antillogcial bizzaro land. It's definitely happening, and I think people would be better off if they just moved into a stage of acceptance. Yes, some of you don't like Avatar. That's nice and all, but you're opinion is about as relevant at this point as people that can't stand pizza. The worldwide masses have pretty much already voted on this one.​

This sounds like famous last words of a studio executive... like "Cleopatra" it has Liz Taylor and Richard Burton in it, it's sure to be hit! or "Heaven's Gate", "New York, New York", "Once Upon a Time in America", "1941", the "Star Wars" prequels, "Batman and Robin", Peter Jackson's "King Kong" and "John Carter" all lavished productions, made by genius directors with a string of hits, that's how they justified the huge expense of making them... "what could possibly go wrong?" except they all bombed. Nobody's going to want to eat the Avatar "pizza" anymore if it's got 3 layers of dog crap on top of it

CaptJapan

34eov7r.jpg

How can you guys doubt this movie?
Robin Williams was in it, if that isn't Disney I don't know what is.

Cybercat

Banned
This sounds like famous last words of a studio executive... like "Cleopatra" it has Liz Taylor and Richard Burton in it, it's sure to be hit! or "Heaven's Gate", "New York, New York", "Once Upon a Time in America", "1941", the "Star Wars" prequels, "Batman and Robin", Peter Jackson's "King Kong" and "John Carter" all lavished productions, made by genius directors with a string of hits, that's how they justified the huge expense of making them... "what could possibly go wrong?" except they all bombed. Nobody's going to want to eat the Avatar "pizza" anymore if it's got 3 layers of dog crap on top of it

Avatar was the most financially successful movie of all time and performed wildly beyond expectations in every single market it was shown. Are those sequels to the most successful movie of all time? No, they're not. Seriously, just admit you are in denial and living in an alternate universe. That's ok. I understand you're upset that Disney is investing in something isn't Disney, but that doesn't excuse for throwing your reasoning ability out the window. The next Avatar movie has about as big of a chance of bombing as the next Super Bowl does of failing in the ratings. Although, with this much denial, I wouldn't put it past you to claim that is a possibility and for the next Super Bowl to be the last one.

Cybercat

Banned
Doubt it. Harry Potter appeals to the entire family. Avatar, not so much.

This is a ludicrous claim. The movie wouldn't have made as much as it did if it didn't pull in entire families by the bus load. It also pulled in more families than every single Potter movie individually. Logic fail.

There are no books to support it, and as for Avatar merchandise....is there even any?

There will be more Avatar merchandise, and it will sell, including at the Animal Kingdom. Just give it some time.

As for your Star Wars argument, it's also doubtful. The significant thing about SW is that it's stood the test of time. The jury is still out about that when it comes to Avatar. It doesn't help that 99% of Avatar's appeal is eye candy. There is no strong story, no strong characters, just neat-o critters and special effects (in my opinion).

By it's second theatrical run, I'm pretty sure everyone know Star Wars is here to stay. Avatar did the same with its initial run. The buzz about these sequels today is massive. The film also got good ratings from critics and audiences. They liked the story and characters.

Besides, just because more Avatar films are in the offing (and which is not exactly news) doesn't mean anything regarding the proposed ride/attraction that Iger doesn't want to talk about anymore. :p

It's already announced, being planned, and the park is being prepped for new construction. Yeah that's nothing all right. Like I said, denial.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
This is a ludicrous claim. The movie wouldn't have made as much as it did if it didn't pull in entire families by the bus load. It also pulled in more families than every single Potter movie individually. Logic fail.

It's already announced, being planned, and the park is being prepped for new construction. Yeah that's nothing all right. Like I said, denial.

Would you mind providing the ticket sales breakdown for Avatar to support this claim?

And there's nothing to say that while it could get built, the scale and budget of the new area could be significantly reduced, as Disney has publicly announced a desire to reduce capital outlay in the parks.

muse1983

Cybercat, your overbearing amount of charm 10 posts into your membership of WDWMAGIC is frightening. :) I can also assure you that families are not the reason Avatar made so much money in the first place. It was super fans like yourself and the record amount of 16-20.00 Imax 3d tickets that caused it to rise to the top. I personally have no doubt that the Avatar land budget will get slashed before a single shovel hits the dirt.

But you're right on one thing, I do feel that Avatar 2 will be a huge success at the box office. It only makes sense that the sequel to the highest and over hyped film of all time be successful. The actual test will be when the 3rd film arrives...I personally have a feeling that we will see a very different box office draw...

Cybercat

Banned
Cybercat, your overbearing amount of charm 10 posts into your membership of WDWMAGIC is frightening. :) I can also assure you that families are not the reason Avatar made so much money in the first place. It was super fans like yourself and the record amount of 16-20.00 Imax 3d tickets that caused it to rise to the top. I personally have no doubt that the Avatar land budget will get slashed before a single shovel hits the dirt.

But you're right on one thing, I do feel that Avatar 2 will be a huge success at the box office. It only makes sense that the sequel to the highest and over hyped film of all time be successful. The actual test will be when the 3rd film arrives...I personally have a feeling that we will see a very different box office draw...

Yeah, it was a hand full of fans that made the movie gross 2.7 billion. The movie was big with every major age bracket that goes to see PG-13 films including families. I'm sorry, but the movie brought in EVERYONE. To claim other wise is ignorant. It was number 1 FOR WEEKS AND WEEKS. Everyone that sees movies, was going to see Avatar. Its performance speaks for itself. You're allowed to have an opinion, but you're not allowed to revise history to validate that opinion. A film doesn't have to be watered down, kidified muck like the Disney and Pixar films you worship to perform well with families.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Still waiting for that proof, outside of your insults and vain attempts at logic. But then again, that could be a long wait.....

FrankLapidus

Everyone that sees movies, was going to see Avatar.

I watch movies but I didn't go to see it. I did attempt to watch it on DVD but fell asleep 20 minutes in. Needless to say I won't be seeing Avatar 2, 3 or 4 and if Avatarland happens, I have no intention of setting foot in it.

A film doesn't have to be watered down, kidified muck like the Disney and Pixar films you worship to perform well with families.

Kidified muck? :confused: There wouldn't have been a Disneyland or WDW if it hadn't been for the success of what you call "kidified muck".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom