Why hasn't everybody started fussing about the upcoming ticket price increase?

kashmir

If I only had a time machine... :dazzle:

Does anyone know when they changed to passes? I remember the ticket books, then I remember my mom pinning a pass to me with a Donald Duck pin, then I remember the passes - my mom would hold on to these for all of us. I think those last ones are the grandparents of the tickets we have today and I remember hearing Jack Wagner's voice saying "and they're good, FOREVER!" (does anyone have that audio?) Those are the tickets I need to go back in time to stock up on - anyone remember what the original price was? What year do I need to go back to?

Was it 1982 when the current ticket system was presented? Then 1981 would have those two-day passes to MK.

Freshee61

I think WDW will be smart enough to do the price increase when the majority of Fantasyland is opened. Probably before the holidays. They are going to want to do what Disneyland did in the blog post - point to all the new stuff they are offering to justify the price hike...

Meanwhile - annual passholders at Disneyland are getting a HUGE price hike... It looks like they may be trying to reduce the number of passholders actually...

Why is Disney doing that to their passholders? :mad: Before we used to be pitched to and now I feel IMO that we don't matter. I've been a passholder for 9 consecutive year and I feel we used to be priotized and Now we are not. I really like to see us ap holders strike for a year to see if we don't matter:(
Sorry- that was me venting about continuing price jumps and their stratigedy.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Why is Disney doing that to their passholders? :mad: Before we used to be pitched to and now I feel IMO that we don't matter. I've been a passholder for 9 consecutive year and I feel we used to be priotized and Now we are not. I really like to see us ap holders strike for a year to see if we don't matter:(

They know full well that the majority of AP holders won't "strike". They are in business to make a profit for their shareholders, that's the priority.

Rob562

The general consensus is that Disneyland is over-saturated with too many Annual Passholders. (I've heard the number "1 million plus" thrown around) Almost all of them are locals who only visit for a few hours. They cause a surge in the evenings when people get out of work, and most don't buy much at all, maybe just a snack or a drink. They wait and eat at home. They also don't buy as much in the way of souvenirs.

Combine all that, and you have a not-as-profitable-per-Guest situation. This is almost the opposite from WDW, where most Guests are non-Passholders. They spend more, eat in the parks, buy souvenirs.

A price increase like this on the Disneyland APs would help thin out some of the APs and thus the wear-and-tear on the park. Even if it doesn't, the increased revenue would help offset the non-spending of the typical Disneyland AP'er.

-Rob

bearboysnc

They upped their single day ticket prices to $85 dollars last year...I paid $91 after tax to visit the MK with a friend. They up it every year now.
I expect to see another price hike around August.

Summer is the peak season for Anahiem. With a new land, the CA Resort can afford to thin the crowd with a rate hike. The AP's are going to be hit hard.

While summer is a busy season for FL, the summer heat keeps the international tourists goer away. The holidays are now the peak season.

I agree they'll wait till late summer to jack the prices up. Once all the E tickets are up and back running.

wendysue

I read on MouseSavers recently that the WDW price hike will be in June. I'm not fussing because it wouldn't do any good... However, we have cut back on trips because of the higher prices and visit other places that are in our budget. Sooner or later, this will happen to more people and they will get the hint that they are pricing themselves out of certain markets. We will still go when we can.....(like September) :)

DisneyJoe

However, we have cut back on trips because of the higher prices and visit other places that are in our budget. Sooner or later, this will happen to more people and they will get the hint that they are pricing themselves out of certain markets. We will still go when we can.....(like September)

At least in the Orlando area, it's almost certain that when Disney raises their prices, Universal, SeaWorld and others raise theirs too.

raymusiccity

Well if (or I should say when) they raise the prices, Im sure I will complain about it.:lol: Now we wont not go to Disney, but we have already started to talk about alternate plans and doing other things for our trip next year. My wife wants to go see Potter land and the kids want to go see legoland... So we will stay at old key west to use our points and only do Disney for a day or 2.

Ah, yes. Univeral and Sea World are such bargains :)

misterID

DLR has capacity issues, which makes sense, but sooner or later it's going to be a problem with their locals, which,despite what people say, do send money there, just not tourist type money. APers will revolt, DLR does need them. Lutz is already starting to complain.

Where Disney is going to have a problem are the vacations people take outside Florida because of the price hikes. The economy has actually helped a lot of tourism around the country, with people taking cheaper vacations.

Sooner or later it does catch up with them: Discounting.

luv

I don't complain about price increases.

I complain about cutbacks. Sometimes I complain about the fact that they are charging more for less.

ToTBellHop

An increase is warranted given the additions--but the level of the increase at DL is outrageous. Roughly a 10% increase across the board would have been far more reasonable.

I believe this is the first time that a one-day ticket to DL will cost more than a one-day WDW ticket.

wendysue

At least in the Orlando area, it's almost certain that when Disney raises their prices, Universal, SeaWorld and others raise theirs too.

By certain markets, I meant families like ours that just will stop paying the prices. Even though we love the place, at some point it just won't work....

TP2000

An increase is warranted given the additions--but the level of the increase at DL is outrageous. Roughly a 10% increase across the board would have been far more reasonable.

I believe this is the first time that a one-day ticket to DL will cost more than a one-day WDW ticket.

While I'm no fan of rising prices for any product or service I use, I can't get too worked up about a private business charging a price for a superior product that free consumers in a free market are willing to pay.

Disneyland management is simply charging what it thinks the free market can bear, and with the very healthy crowd levels and 1 Million Annual Passholders that Disneyland gets, it's no wonder they are raising the rates just ahead of the grand reopening of DCA.

That said, I agree that this must be the first time a Disneyland ticket price is equal to or greater than a WDW ticket. I remember trips to WDW in the 1980's and 90's and noticing that ticket prices in WDW were always a noticeably higher than whatever was the going rate for Disneyland. But now, we've got a different scenario with Disneyland's new ticket prices.

Keep in mind, there is no sales tax on tickets in California, but there is sales tax in Florida of 6.5% not included in these prices:

1 Day, 1 Park Ticket
Disneyland Resort: $87
WDW Resort: $85

1 Day Park Hopper Ticket
Disneyland Resort: $125
WDW Resort: $120

Premium Annual Pass
Disneyland Resort (Disneyland Park and DCA): $649
WDW Resort (MK, Epcot, DHS, DAK): $519
WDW Resort (including water parks & DisneyQuest): $649

What's even more interesting is that all the major theme park players in Orlando pretty much match each other on ticket prices. Universal Orlando is charging the same $85 per day, Sea World Orlando is $82, Busch Gardens is $82, Legoland is the cheapest at $75, etc.

But in Southern California, Disneyland is far and away the most expensive, even when the similar parks in SoCal like Universal Studios or Sea World or Legoland have been around for decades longer and have more rides or shows than their Orlando counterparts. Disneyland at $87 is much higher than the rest of SoCal's established and famous theme parks;

Disneyland or DCA: $87
Universal Studios Hollywood: $62
Knott's Berry Farm: $57 ($39 online advance purchase)
Sea World San Diego: $73 ($53 online advance purchase)
Legoland California: $72
Six Flags Magic Mountain: $62 ($37 online advance purchase)

That's the most interesting thing to me! In Central Florida it almost appears as if there's collusion amongst the major players to keep all ticket prices nearly the same, but in Southern California the same major players are all noticeably cheaper than Disneyland. A very odd thing to ponder!

misterID

"charging a price for a superior product "

Maybe at Disneyland. When you depend on the public to support your business that's another thing. Average wages aren't going up to meet the price increases. And you can absolutely gripe about a business. It's a free country. That trumps everything :D

And whoever said DL APers won't strike... oooh, just wait. Unless they hurry up and announce some more additions, they're going to have world war III on their hands. They must really be banking on picking up tourism because of Carsland. That's what I'm thinking. I'm not sure its going to work, though. That's a big gamble.

Carebee21

And whoever said DL APers won't strike... oooh, just wait. Unless they hurry up and announce some more additions, they're going to have world war III on their hands. They must really be banking on picking up tourism because of Carsland. That's what I'm thinking. I'm not sure its going to work, though. That's a big gamble.

A lot of people are already stating that when their AP's are up, they won't renew at the new price. I know we won't be; we'll only go once a year and buy a regular park ticket, rather than multiple trips with an AP. So it will be interesting to see what the attendance does over the next year/year and a half.

I really hope that in the future they start looking at other things they can do to help with the crowds, rather than simply raising prices. The walkways are crazy in DL on some days and I can understand why they need to start thinking about capacity just based on the walkways. But they also need to look at other things for people to do. They only have one character meal in the park and that's only for breakfast. Maybe they should look at adding lunch and dinner there, since without characters, the restaurant is relatively empty. Maybe even add characters to the backyard bbq place as that's not super full either. It's time for Captain EO to go and get something new in there that bring people into that space. Same for innoventions and the petting zoo. They're relatively good sized spaces that are typically pretty quiet and empty. I understand space is at a premium, but utilize the space you have to get people in and out of the walkways, rather than increasing prices substantially to try to push people out.

menamechris

I do think that Disneyland is (probably for the first time) having to use prices as a form of crowd control. WDW doesn't have this problem. Crowds are dispersed throughout the entire resort, so the only time they really have to think about capacity issues is during the holidays at primarily the Magic Kingdom (and even that may be changing after the Fantasyland expansion opens).

However, what will really be interesting is if the heads at WDW will be able to stomach having a cheaper (or equal) ticket price to DL. While I don't think WDW needs to do anything other than their standard annual increase, I wonder if after this, they will try their luck...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom