Little Mermaid Ride Adjustments

Buried20KLeague

Isn't that true of virtually all of the classic dark rides though?

Yeah, probably. The movie dark rides, at least. Imagination (as bad as it may be), dinosaur, indy, etc all tell more "full" stories... But yeah, I guess the movie ones are mostly like that.

Like I said though... It didn't bother me. A few more show scenes would have changed that I think... But it is what it is.

TP2000

And although I appreciate all the photos, square foot calculations, and other math done on this thread, the truth is, it just doesn't add up to anything different than the DCA version.

I have to agree. And I find the photo comparisons here with the dimensions and such to be utterly fascinating, and I thank everyone for taking the time to post them here! Thost types of compare/contrast pictures from California to Florida always amaze and interest me! Love it! :sohappy:

All that said, what I think we will find this Thanksgiving is a Little Mermaid ride in WDW that is nearly identical to the 2.0 updated version opening today at Disney California Adventure. There will obviously be some changes to the loading area, and the exteriors and facades are radically different. DCA's version of queue is just a simple 5 minute long shuffle through a single switchback in front of the ride at a theme park that only attracts 6 Million people per year.

Riders Walking Straight Into Little Mermaid at DCA - No Line!
5993073214_0f89687873.jpg

But WDW's queue is a massive NextGen/Fastpass/Standby facility almost the size of the ride itself at a theme park that attracts 16+ Million people per year. They seem to also be folding an Ariel meet n' greet into the WDW facility near the exit, whereas at DCA the Ariel meet n' greet is handled a hundred yards away at Ariel's Grotto restaurant.

But once you step into your clamshell in WDW I think you are in for a nearly identical ride you can already get by stepping into a clamshell today at DCA, with the exception of perhaps some different drapes or plastic plants or semi-hidden emergency doorways or other minor differences.

The good news here is the 2.0 rehabbed version of The Little Mermaid just opened for the day at Disney California Adventure about an hour ago here in Southern California. I'm sure by this evening there will be YouTube videos and online pictures showing the changes and tweaks to the DCA ride that will also be transferred over to the WDW ride this November. :wave:

TP2000

The proof of the pudding is in the eating . . . when the ride video for MK's LM is put online, I think there will be a lot of interesting comparisons.

I could have agreed with that if there had been no rehab of the DCA version this month, and the two rides had opened almost 18 months apart from each other with no changes to the original DCA version from 2011;

DCA Little Mermaid - Opened June, 2011
WDW Little Mermaid - Opens November, 2012

Almost an 18 month time-span between the two ride openings!

But with Mermaid's current rehab closure at DCA per John Lasseter to install the new animatronics and animation and lighting, and now it's just 6 months until the WDW version opens and Disneyland websites are saying they'll transfer the DCA updates over to the WDW version as well, I think the two rides will be nearly identical once WDW's opens in November.

TP2000

i shook my laptop so much that the picture tuned to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8bpIh2B-30

looks like they tuned the lighting levels way down in under the sea, and the hair looks 100% better, it also looks like Ariel moves much more

WARNING! SPOILERS FOR THE DCA AND WDW VERSIONS OF MERMAID AHEAD!

I broke down and went over to the park this evening and rode Little Mermaid 2.0 twice in a row with a friend in town for a dentist's convention at the Anaheim Convention Center. I also had ridden Mermaid at DCA last week twice in a row to get a good point of reference for Mermaid 1.0 prior to the rehab. DCA was busy this evening, and the wait time was posted at 10 minutes but both times I only waited 6 minutes in a quickly shuffling line as the Omnimover gobbled us all up.

Once you are on the ride.... it's a noticeable improvement! The YouTube video above captures the main stuff rather poorly, but obviously it's hard to capture the animation and lighting levels in a ride like this. They call them "dark rides" for a reason.

The animation of Ariel looks much, much better. It now looks like a really HD, colorful version of circa 1989 animation, instead of the bizarre Japanese-ish computer animation it had looked like before. The computer animation bugged me more than any robotic hairdo ever did, and it's great that it's fixed!

The lighting in several scenes isn't actually darker than before, as they had turned down the lighting levels throughout the ride by late 2011. What is different, and what makes it look "darker" though is the addition of new watery projections and bubble projections in several rooms. There's a lot more shimmering and sparkling and rising bubbles on walls and sets throughout several of the rooms, and I think all of those new projections make the rooms come to life more and the effect is it enhances the already darkened sets and rooms.

There's also more seaweed placed about in the big Under The Sea room, and a lot more foliage and tree branches in the Kiss The Girl scene. The effect makes both rooms look more layered and deeper.

And finally, and most noticeably, there's the new Ariel animatronic in the Under The Sea room. Her new hairdo looks much better. I never really understood the big deal with her beehive hairdo, as I thought it looked fine. But this new hairdo that just sort of flows behind her in a slightly different way than it does in the grotto where she sings I Want To Be Where The People Are looks really great. It's a nice change.

It also helped that the whole ride still looks amazing! All the animatronics were working nicely, Ursula's big musical production number looked fabulous, the lighting and projections were spot on, the audio was crystal clear, the queue and CM's were sparkling and fresh and polite, and the whole experience was just fun.

This is a great addition with a very fast moving line for DCA, and it will be a nice offering for Magic Kingdom as well even though there it will have NextGen xPass and all that stuff instead of just a normal 10 minute line to wait through. :sohappy:

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Thanks for the great review TP2000. Your enthusiasm comes through loud and clear, and reading your review makes me even more excited about this attraction opening at MK. I'm looking forward to all of the FLE, and can't wait to check out the 'Mine Train Coaster' (Coaster/Dark Ride?) in 2014, but more than anything, I love the addition of a 'classic style' dark ride like this.

I also appreciate the fact that Disney is willing to review even a brand new attraction and look at ways to improve it.

Thanks for the update, and glad you enjoyed the ride.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Exactly what I'm talking about. DOOM AND GLOOM. DOOM AND GLOOM. Instead of a rational unbiased argument, it's capped off with a swipe at the TDO.

Wow...you JUST joined and you already know about Doom and Gloomers? Something tells me we've seen you here before. :rolleyes:

TP2000

Thanks for the great review TP2000....

I also appreciate the fact that Disney is willing to review even a brand new attraction and look at ways to improve it.

You're welcome!

Here's a better YouTube video from the ride taken yesterday that focuses more on the new animation and the new Ariel animatronic. It's not the whole ride, just about two minutes focusing on the most noticeable new additions... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9teL0YTG34

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom