Should Disney enforce the Flash Photography policy?

Should Disney eject people who disregard the no flash policy?

• Yes

Votes: 137 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 19.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MKCP 1985

i think i figured a solution. eg: on PotC designate 1 out every 20 boats in line to be a flash photography, noisy boat. anyone in line who NEEDS to have photos of the ride can wait for that boat.:sohappy:

I tried to take a video recording of Pirates just before it went down to have Captain Jack added, and was sitting in the back row of the boat so as to not to disturb fellow voyagers.

Unfortunately, the light from the view finder disturbed people in the front row of the boat behind me and since I couldn't figure out how to turn off the view finder, I shut it down as a courtesy to others.

So, I am not sure that solution will work either. :lol:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Would the conservatives here support this website administrator's decision to remove all photos from member photo galleries if they appear to have been taken in a manner that violated an attraction's photo policy? :shrug:

Sure. Besides, the dummies taking flash photographs on dark rides are winding up with crummy pictures.

MKCP 1985

Sure. Besides, the dummies taking flash photographs on dark rides are winding up with crummy pictures.

don't be so certain about that.

and would the conservatives also support taking down ALL photos taken in violation of park rules and regulations? No more photos of the effects in the attic of the haunted mansion outside the guests' view, no more construction photos inside the Everest mountain tunnels, no more photos of the pirates of the caribbean characters in various stages of undress . . . etc. :drevil:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
don't be so certain about that.

and would the conservatives also support taking down ALL photos taken in violation of park rules and regulations? No more photos of the effects in the attic of the haunted mansion outside the guests' view, no more construction photos inside the Everest mountain tunnels, no more photos of the pirates of the caribbean characters in various stages of undress . . . etc. :drevil:

How does someone taking pictures backstage, or after hours, effect the enjoyment of other paying guests?

gaga4disney

I tried to take a video recording of Pirates just before it went down to have Captain Jack added, and was sitting in the back row of the boat so as to not to disturb fellow voyagers.

Unfortunately, the light from the view finder disturbed people in the front row of the boat behind me and since I couldn't figure out how to turn off the view finder, I shut it down as a courtesy to others.

So, I am not sure that solution will work either. :lol:

oh well, i tried.

jvenegas

Simple solution:

eth021.jpg

So I'm assuming that, applying the same rules, if you happen to visit my country, Puerto Rico, you would have to speak Spanish, right?

First of all, you are assuming that the people that take pictures in dark rides do so because they don't understand the instructions because they don't speak the language.

I personally think your wrong. They take the pictures simply because they are jerks that don't know better, wether they speak Spanish, English or any other language.

Oh, and btw, if you come visit me, it's okay if you don't speak Spanish because we do speak English down here. I guess that makes us smarter than you. :wave:

G00fyDad

So I'm assuming that, applying the same rules, if you happen to visit my country, Puerto Rico, you would have to speak Spanish, right?

YES! I don't go to another country and expect them to accomodate me.

I personally think your wrong. They take the pictures simply because they are jerks that don't know better, wether they speak Spanish, English or any other language.

I completely agree, but they do know better. That's what makes them jerks.

Oh, and btw, if you come visit me, it's okay if you don't speak Spanish because we do speak English down here. I guess that makes us smarter than you. :wave:

Was that necessary? :rolleyes:

gaga4disney

First of all, you are assuming that the people that take pictures in dark rides do so because they don't understand the instructions because they don't speak the language.

It's not about the language. Just common courtesy. This issue will never be resolved until certain guests stop being rude and selfish at WDW.

tizzo

You should probably already know this if you live there, but Puerto Rico is a US Commonwealth, not a country. And English is one of your official languages.

On the other hand, the US doesn't have any official language.

Bob Saget

I'm surprised the simple question over flash photography has gone this many pages and seems so complicated.

The rules on the signs clearly state No Flash Photography. No question, no "what-if" scenario's added, no clauses stating special circumstances in which the rule is void. It says No Flash Photography. The announcements prior to shows say: Please Refrain From Flash Photography. "Please Refrain" meaning: Please Do Not Do It.

It doesn't matter where the pictures end up...on the internet, on your site, on this site, on YouTube, or used as your personal toilet paper...IT DOES NOT MATTER. What you do with the pictures is your business, however nice or crappy they turned out...they're yours. The dark rides/shows, however, are Disney's property, and Disney clearly states for you to turn off your flash while visiting certain parts of their property out of courtesy for other paying guests. Just like if I visit your home, and you ask me to please remove my shoes before entering (or any other rule)...it's YOUR home, and I as a guest am to abide by YOUR rules. If I don't like the rules of your home, I can choose to go elsewhere.

jvenegas

YES! I don't go to another country and expect them to accomodate me.
But we should, you're a visitor and we should make you feel welcome and comfortable so you will decide to come back, and we don't have a problem accomodating our guests. At least that's how I see it.

I completely agree, but they do know better. That's what makes them jerks.
I guess your right on this one.

Was that necessary? :rolleyes:
Come to think of it, it wasn't, so I apologize for the remark, and that goes to show you that maybe I'm not that smart after all:lol: It's just that sometimes people generalize and assume things that aren't correct and that es me off, but thank you for pointing out my rudeness.:wave:

Animaniac93-98

I haven't read the entire thread, but I noticed at DL there wasn't the same level of desperation on the part of guests to take flash photos of every single thing on PotC like at WDW. For that matter, I haven't really experienced excessive flash photo taking at WDW beyond Pirates (except for once during SWSA which I described on here elsewhere). What is it about Pirates that causes people to go nuts?

G00fyDad

Come to think of it, it wasn't, so I apologize for the remark, and that goes to show you that maybe I'm not that smart after all:lol: It's just that sometimes people generalize and assume things that aren't correct and that es me off, but thank you for pointing out my rudeness.:wave:

No problems. :) I have a tendency to get really rude on these forums myself. I sometimes forget that the way I "read" something is not the way it was "said".

Timekeeper

I'm a bit surprised at how resistant a lot of the members here are to the idea that sometimes flashes go off (or "on" rather) because some people don't understand how to use the menu features of their camera - whether it's a P&S or advanced DSLR. Not all offending flashes are "intentional."

The best example of this is at the beginning of a show, or in the first part of a ride, when a guest pulls out their camera and doesn't realize that the prior setting included a potential flash (such as the "auto" mode they were just using outside 30 minutes earlier). A flash will go off, and the guest will have an "oops" reaction and attempt to change the flash setting to off. I see this happen every time I visit the parks.

A lot of us "Disney experts" easily forget how much visiting a Disney park is an assault on the senses, especially for those who don't visit often, or are visiting for the first time. A person is not necessarily "intentionally rude" simply because they miss seeing a posted sign or don't hear an audible announcement because they are so overtaken by the environment (that is admittedly designed to be extremely themed and intricate), their friends and family, etc.

captainkidd

Original Poster

I think it's both types that take pictures. I never said it was one or the other.

And yes, if I come to Puerto Rico and don't know any Spanish, I deserve whatever kind of problems I get.

I can speak French. Does that make me smarter than you?

captainkidd

Original Poster
I'm a bit surprised at how resistant a lot of the members here are to the idea that sometimes flashes go off (or "on" rather) because some people don't understand how to use the menu features of their camera - whether it's a P&S or advanced DSLR. Not all offending flashes are "intentional."

The best example of this is at the beginning of a show, or in the first part of a ride, when a guest pulls out their camera and doesn't realize that the prior setting included a potential flash (such as the "auto" mode they were just using outside 30 minutes earlier). A flash will go off, and the guest will have an "oops" reaction and attempt to change the flash setting to off. I see this happen every time I visit the parks.

A lot of us "Disney experts" easily forget how much visiting a Disney park is an assault on the senses, especially for those who don't visit often, or are visiting for the first time. A person is not necessarily "intentionally rude" simply because they miss seeing a posted sign or don't hear an audible announcement because they are so overtaken by the environment (that is admittedly designed to be extremely themed and intricate), their friends and family, etc.

I've never seen anyone argue such an obvious point before in my life, to such a ridiculous extent.

Bob Saget

You're welcome :wave:
Let me guess. If/when you get pulled over for running a redlight, that isn't your fault either.

If you're so eager to defend taking flash pictures when the park clearly says not to on certain attractions, why don't you consult mgmt? State your claim to the higher-up's on why the rules should not apply to you, and why your particular situation makes you exempt from what rules most other guests follow.

G00fyDad

Unintentional we can live with. 50+ photos in the same small stretch of a dark attraction is intentional, no two ways about it. Especially after they have been told/asked to stop. And with regard to your idea with the lack of understanding of menu features:
1) They bought the PaS, learn to use it. There is no need to look through the menus. See the little button on the back with a lightening bolt? Push it.
2) Anyone that buys a DSLR knows how to use the flash and how to turn it off. Please. That was just plain weak.

We do too. But are they still having the "oops" reaction after the 50th time it goes off. I doubt it.

That is no excuse. Common sense should dictate no flashes on a dark ride. Or maybe the 20+ people screaming at them to stop should get the point across?

Timekeeper

I never stated that I take flash pictures against applicable rules.

I agree that 50 is obviously inappropriate. However, when we see a flash go off, unless we've seen that same guest's flash go off repetitively, we should not be so quick to assume that it was intentional (and therefore rude). We must reasonably account for the possibility that it may have been unintentional. Are even the unintentional events annoying? Yes. Are we all perfect? No. Accidents are accidents. Let those of us who have never caused an accident cast the first stone.

I agree that rules are rules. A ticket is a license to enter and enjoy the park pursuant to all applicable rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom