Orange Bird Back at Sunshine Tree Terrace in the Magic Kingdom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomicmickey

I guess I am speculating the HM was refurbished, the HoP was refurbished, the Tiki Room was restored, BTMRR is being refurbished, Liberty Square was brought back, the last two years have seen MSUSA overhauled, the FLE is being added, and the rest of Fantasyland is being refurbished or reimagined.

There is an unmistakeable trend here that anyone can see unless blinded by their hatred of TDO. Hi spirit.

Now here is where I will add some speculation that I think is more educated guess. I think they did not do the radical Space Mountain overhaul because they needed the capacity two tracks offered while doing all the other necessary work to the MK. And I think Frontierland and Adventureland will get the same treatment as Liberty Square and MSUSA before they move on to T-Land. Possibly each will get new attractions.

That Tomorrowland would be last on the list makes a lot of sense if you think about it. And it has been confirmed here that there are plans for a major T-Land project both at DL and WDW.

~class dismissed~ :wave: (except for doomers who have none)

PS - about bringing back Orange Bird, I almost forgot..... Way to go TDO!!!

(I have been able to say that twice today!)

This is good speculation, I think. I've had similar thoughts. When they're done, they'll have combed through the entire MK, giving it a touch-up and facelift in spots, in others major work, and in others overhaul. We'll see what the budget will ultimately bear, though. (For instance--though there is much to celebrate in Adventureland, Lee rightly points out that a top-drawer Jungle Cruise rehab would really nail it.)

And--points to you for saying "speculation" and "I think". A lot of your posts about "what you think" are worded to sound as though "it is fact"---this note is a much more friendly and approachable posting style. Hats off to you for this, keep it up and I think you'll find people being more welcoming to this sort of thing.

devoy1701

This is good speculation, I think. I've had similar thoughts. When they're done, they'll have combed through the entire MK, giving it a touch-up and facelift in spots, in others major work, and in others overhaul. We'll see what the budget will ultimately bear, though. (For instance--though there is much to celebrate in Adventureland, Lee rightly points out that a top-drawer Jungle Cruise rehab would really nail it.)

And--points to you for saying "speculation" and "I think". A lot of your posts about "what you think" are worded to sound as though "it is fact"---this note is a much more friendly and approachable posting style. Hats off to you for this, keep it up and I think you'll find people being more welcoming to this sort of thing.

**If** we see a proper refurb of JC along with the proper refurb/reimagination of Space Mountain (and a general idea of what is to come of Tomorrowland) soon after FLE opens...then I will give TDO credit.

I still think they've been slow to react...about 6 years to slow. They should have been itching to fix the Magic Kingdom when Eisner left. And I still don't buy any of it as an excuse to have some show elements in such bad condition as they have been over the past 5 years. I think the whole "capacity" issue has been used as a crutch for too long. Lack of capacity doesn't mean the 3rd shift can't be expanded to allow proper maintenance of attractions.

We'll see if the Second Golden Age of Walt Disney World comes in 2014. That should give plenty of time to bring the entire complex (all parks, resorts, and entertainment areas) up to prestine condition for 2021.

jt04

It had to be tough to get ops to greenlight the BTMRR refurb before the FLE is further along. Perhaps it just was too run down for them to wait. Or perhaps they have a tight schedule and Glendale demanded it be done now.

In any case it is obvious this is a plan we are seeing unfold. Obviously they can't take BTMRR, Splash, and the JC off line at the same time. So they have to do what they can when they can without impacting the guest experience too severely. They are blessed in that they have 4 theme parks to help with the crowds.

I called some major work done to the Jungle Cruise a couple years ago a "pre-furb" and took a lot of heat for it. Looks more and more like that is exactly what it was. Specifically, work necessary before a BTMRR type refurb as conditions would allow. Come to think of it, BTMRR received some work not long ago and now is getting a major overhaul. Hmmm.

It is almost as if while doing work to keep the attractions operating for a couple more years they also included engineering surveys for the major work to be done later. Makes perfect sense. I would think the Jungle Cruise rumors are true but also it is quite possible the larger scale Adventureland rumors are true.

Perhaps we should be praising Orange Bird for helping finance it. Perhaps.

Orange plush anyone? :)

wdw71fan

Something else in Liberty Square will be getting a restoration at some point .. Well, onthe border of Liberty Square and Frontierland..

TDO isn't as naive as some would have you think.. and from just a business standpoint there is plenty of money to be made by restoring some things that have been gone for a while..

While I am not a doom and gloomer, MK was on the fast-track to becoming a well-themed six-flags..

but no more.

dreamscometrue

It appears to me that they just fell too far behind at the MK while adding content at other parks and even adding other parks. In retrospect this was likely not a mistake they would repeat.

The FLE is the solution in that it will give them just enough capacity to allow them to fix the rest of the problems within the MK. By going ahead with the BTMRR overhaul they will be much better positioned over the next couple years to do what needs to be done.

Eisner left WDW in quite a 'knot', however it is fascinating to watch it be untangled in such a perfectly systematic way. Half science, half art.

And remember they are doing this while the doomers are doing their best to make their lives as miserable as possible.

It is some sort of poetic justice that their antics and this entire process have been documented and preserved here at this forum. And only this forum. Steve should be proud. And Martin should consider writing a book documenting this era.

This.

I've decided that jt04 is my new bff on here because lately, I agree 100% with every jt04 post. :wave:

devoy1701

Something else in Liberty Square will be getting a restoration at some point .. Well, onthe border of Liberty Square and Frontierland..

TDO isn't as naive as some would have you think.. and from just a business standpoint there is plenty of money to be made by restoring some things that have been gone for a while..

While I am not a doom and gloomer, MK was on the fast-track to becoming a well-themed six-flags..

but no more.

I think you're talking about a certain Diamond in the rough... do you have an expected timeframe?

dreamscometrue

Ah...you see clearly...

Picture this...
Imagineer X has the job of doing a little something for Sunshine Tree Terrace.
He knows fans like retro stuff, so he gets the idea to bring back the OB as a tribute to the old days.
He pitches it to TDO who says, "Nah, no need to spend the extra money. Just spruce up what we have."
Imagineer, not to be defeated, counters with, "But, wait...we can sell shirts and posters! Maybe even plush! The foamers will snap it up!"
TDO: "Shirts, posters and plush? You are a genius! How much money do you need? Let's get that merch moving!"

Not exactly how it went down. But...you get the picture.

I was thinking the same thing Lee, but is there anything wrong with that?

The bean counters get to sell their merch., and I get orange bird stuff back. I wish everything that happened in the world was because of 'feel good' reasoning, but the world runs as a business. Regardless of how this came to fruition or the motivation, the result for me is Orange Bird merch. If we think about the motivation for anything we have in our society, likely little isn't motivated by money. I'll get my Orange Bird pin, sippy cup, t-shirt and a citrus swirl again in a few months and be completely content.

COProgressFan

but no more.

I'll believe it when I see it.

wdw71fan

I think you're talking about a certain Diamond in the rough... do you have an expected timeframe?

There is no timeframe at this point, but discussions have happened.. Powers-that-be have recently noticed (took em a while, em?) that certain areas of the park seem "lifeless".. to quote "Like a Giant Lifeless Diorama" ...

devoy1701

There is no timeframe at this point, but discussions have happened.. Powers-that-be have recently noticed (took em a while, em?) that certain areas of the park seem "lifeless".. to quote "Like a Giant Lifeless Diorama" ...

ha...funny how shuddered doors give off that ambiance, huh? I hope someone also notices the other lifeless areas that are scattered around...

Has TDO and the various park management teams gotten any new blood over the last 6 months or have existing members finally started to grow a pair? I'm starting to see a shimmer of hope.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I hope you're right. And indeed, that part of the Liberty Square/Frontierland walk is pretty lifeless -- waterways to the north will not much happening or to look, and a nicely themed row of buildings to the south with nothing of interest in them. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I won't hold my breath.

Lee

Adventurer
I was thinking the same thing Lee, but is there anything wrong with that?

The bean counters get to sell their merch., and I get orange bird stuff back. I wish everything that happened in the world was because of 'feel good' reasoning, but the world runs as a business. Regardless of how this came to fruition or the motivation, the result for me is Orange Bird merch. If we think about the motivation for anything we have in our society, likely little isn't motivated by money. I'll get my Orange Bird pin, sippy cup, t-shirt and a citrus swirl again in a few months and be completely content.

Nothing wrong with it per se, so long you take it for what it is. It's the return of an obscure marketing mascot, brought back to make fans giddy and to sell merchandise. (Coming soon...Frito Kid shirts?:rolleyes: )

The problem is people who see it as the harbinger of big change, as a sign of return to the quality of the old days. It isn't that.

I don't need/want any OB merch. The whole thing does nothing for me. I'm waiting for substantial change, which (surprise to some...) I am confident will happen.

dreamscometrue

I'm waiting for substantial change, which (surprise to some...) I am confident will happen.

I'm not surprised because I asked you about that in another thread and you seemed to think changes in personnel might lead to changes in the parks. That is encouraging. :)

(Man, if 'Spirit' stays on vacation long enough, he might come back to a 'whole new world'...pardon the cheap pun reference to an 'Aladdin' song. :))

COProgressFan

Wow they just figured that out.... :brick: One can only hope they see the value in a show with actual, talented performers and musicians rather than line dancing foam heads they tried last time. (I know how much TDO, particularly MK hates expensive live entertainment). Billy Hill and the Hillbillies have been putting on successful, popular shows for a number of years in DL. But I'm certainly not holding my breath for anything like that in the MK (or at least not until Phil steps down to "spend more time with his family").

Lets hope they also take a look at the dead lifeless areas like Tomorrowland Terrace, Adventureland Veranda, the area where the Galaxy Palace theater used to be, etc.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Only one thing to say... DISNEY'S FINALLY COMING BACK TO THEIR SENSES :)

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Nothing wrong with it per se, so long you take it for what it is. It's the return of an obscure marketing mascot, brought back to make fans giddy and to sell merchandise. (Coming soon...Frito Kid shirts?:rolleyes: )

The problem is people who see it as the harbinger of big change, as a sign of return to the quality of the old days. It isn't that.

I don't need/want any OB merch. The whole thing does nothing for me. I'm waiting for substantial change, which (surprise to some...) I am confident will happen.

Well, with Lee, wdw71fan, and jt04 all telling us that change is coming, who can argue?!? :lookaroun

MerlinTheGoat

Having only visited WDW since the early 90's when i was a child, i never really knew about the Orange Bird. He's a cute little guy to be sure, but yeah i don't think it's substantial change. I think i'm actually more excited that those torches are working again than the Orange bird (both are nice touches though)!:lol:

With that last line of yours however you've given me some hope, thanks for that! Will be interesting to see whether anything actually does happen.

disneyny

This.

I've decided that jt04 is my new bff on here because lately, I agree 100% with every jt04 post. :wave:

This is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. I rarely comment on the threads that get all opinionated and wdw political but I read them with interest. I am far from an insider so always enjoy the insider info. we get. I have been reading the opinions/arguements/info. of JT, Steve, Spirit, Tirian, Lee, Martin etc. plus some others that were pushed out to pasture from this sight, for years now. There have been some really interesting conversations since I joined and some really exciting times for a Disney fan (like the day the new Fantasyland plans leaked and then disappeared). I feel like on this board I find kindred spirits with the same passion as me and who seem to have some of the greatest senses of humor I have found anywhere. I always come here hoping to find insightful threads. I have watched as posters side with each other only to disagree later and you can tell who the buddies are etc. It is almost like high school with the popular crowd, fighting, bullying etc. But I must say I don't think I EVER expected someone to become bffs with JT! I thought he was the resident whipping boy! To quote a good non-Disney movie- Inconceivable!!
In all seriousness, I agree that if all of our experts say change is coming I can get on board the hope train. Just keep the Chinese buyers away from my park.

timoteo

Seriously? Read this blog (not sure who's it is, but it tells a lot and shows a lot) http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/stt.htm

4341967642_c7c6afa8cc_b.jpg

I remember the orange bird OK cute. But I forgot it was associated with "I needa" Bryant. I think Disney may want to scrap resurrecting that crap

misterID

I guess I am speculating the HM was refurbished, the HoP was refurbished, the Tiki Room was restored, BTMRR is being refurbished, Liberty Square was brought back, the last two years have seen MSUSA overhauled, the FLE is being added, and the rest of Fantasyland is being refurbished or reimagined.

There is an unmistakeable trend here that anyone can see unless blinded by their hatred of TDO. Hi spirit.

Now here is where I will add some speculation that I think is more educated guess. I think they did not do the radical Space Mountain overhaul because they needed the capacity two tracks offered while doing all the other necessary work to the MK. And I think Frontierland and Adventureland will get the same treatment as Liberty Square and MSUSA before they move on to T-Land. Possibly each will get new attractions.

That Tomorrowland would be last on the list makes a lot of sense if you think about it. And it has been confirmed here that there are plans for a major T-Land project both at DL and WDW.

~class dismissed~ :wave: (except for doomers who have none)

PS - about bringing back Orange Bird, I almost forgot..... Way to go TDO!!!

(I have been able to say that twice today!)

Since my posts are getting deleted (the first one was unnecessary on my part, don't know what was wrong with the second) but these refurbs have taken place over a long period of time, where the attractions/structures needed them, a SM refurb that was hacked to death, the Tiki room got a refurb because of a fire, and a FLE that was taken out of TDO's control and they were forced to do it.

I don't see that as some knot being untied, personally.

Enjoy your Orange Bird as some glowing, obvious symbol as the dawning of a new golden age (and don't forget to buy the new merch and that new sippy cup for you and the sheriff!) and I'll just enjoy my citrus swirl.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom