Orange Bird Back at Sunshine Tree Terrace in the Magic Kingdom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterID

Put Virgin and Richard Branson as lead sponsor on a new Horizon's attraction and it would produce a Horizons attraction that the orginal wasn't. The original was and still is my favorite attraction at WDW. But it needed a major refurb.

The question is if the bird's return is a "big deal" because it represents, or is a signal as an "improving by degrees." Or is it just a promotion to sell more retro merch, which is what TDO has been doing lately. You can point to there being meetings about it and the Sherman's Brothers music, to show this could be more than a promotion to sell merch...

But they just recently brought out Dreamfinder to sing with Richard Sherman on stage and it just happen to coincide with retro Imagination merch. And you know what else it produced? Nothing.

We still have the same lame, abomination of an attraction that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. TDO is still TDO, WDW is still stuck in a rut. And Dreamfinder vanished as quick as he returned. But he did help sell some retro merch.

Lee

Adventurer
As for the Orange Bird, the cynic in me sees only one simple reason for bringing this long abandoned character back: merchandise sales. Had they just put the character in Adventureland, that would be one thing, but it's rather obvious by the merchandise availability. It seems as though they tend to only "listen" to the fans when it comes to producing merchandise that the fan base wants, as they don't seem to want to "listen" when it comes to quality, innovation, or creativity.
Ah...you see clearly...

Picture this...
Imagineer X has the job of doing a little something for Sunshine Tree Terrace.
He knows fans like retro stuff, so he gets the idea to bring back the OB as a tribute to the old days.
He pitches it to TDO who says, "Nah, no need to spend the extra money. Just spruce up what we have."
Imagineer, not to be defeated, counters with, "But, wait...we can sell shirts and posters! Maybe even plush! The foamers will snap it up!"
TDO: "Shirts, posters and plush? You are a genius! How much money do you need? Let's get that merch moving!"

Not exactly how it went down. But...you get the picture.

TropicalFig8

OBposter.jpg

Now this, this is worth everything.

A picture, in the MK, recognising that Adventurland was build without a big mechanical spinner.
Recognising that the area is themed as the tropical South Seas, not as cartoon desert.
Not a cramped, hot, loud space where people get irritated, but the central square in Adventureland, an open space where you can walk and breathe and rest and take it all in.

Beautiful.

MKCP 1985

Picture this...

First off, kudos to someone for giving Imagineer X the responsibility for doing a little something for an obscure food and beverage station. Easy to overlook those outlets.

Secondly, major kudos to Imagineer X. How many other food and beverage outlets have their own character, new or revived? He or she could have just spruced up what they have. Instead, Sunshine Tree Terrace now has its own mascot, complete with a cup and tee shirt which no-one is forced to buy in order to place an order at the Terrace.

Someone is supposed to be angry about this result? Professionally jealous, maybe. Angry, no.

MissMorrow

Picture this...
He knows fans like retro stuff, so he gets the idea to bring back the OB as a tribute to the old days.
He pitches it to TDO who says, "Nah, no need to spend the extra money. Just spruce up what we have."
Imagineer, not to be defeated, counters with, "But, wait...we can sell shirts and posters! Maybe even plush! The foamers will snap it up!"
TDO: "Shirts, posters and plush? You are a genius! How much money do you need? Let's get that merch moving!"

Oh I can picture it. I got a great mental image of some bean counter sitting at a conference table, shouting out "You're a genius!" :ROFLOL:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Ah...you see clearly...

Picture this...

Not exactly how it went down. But...you get the picture.

But that's exactly how I would expect it to go down. The problem isn't this one going down like this, it's the other ones that have a more complicated path to $ and don't get the right response that are the problems.

To wit:

Imagineer X has the job of doing a little something for Expedition: Everest. He knows that what fans want is a working Yeti and other effects. He pitches it to TDO, who says "Too expensive". Imagineer, not to be defeated, explains that a working yet will lead to improved guest satisfaction, which will lead to more repeat business and more merchandise sales, therefore increasing the value of the Company. TDO says "Plausible, but where's your proof?" Imagineer has no proof, and so TDO says "Take the safe route and don't spend much."

The problem isn't that a path to $ needs to be there for the project to be approved, it's that the the path to $ seemingly needs to be a direct and easy one for the project to be approved.

Kuhio

True...but that's a somewhat different situation.

How is bringing the Adventurers Club back a different situation? I'm not trying to be argumentative -- I'd love to see the AC come back in some form or other -- but, in keeping with the thoughtful and thought-provoking discussion in this thread, I'm curious how you see the distinction.

I feel generally positive about the return of the Orange Bird. I'm not "thrilled" by any means, but on the other hand I don't see it as any different than re-introducing an older character from the Disney canon and giving him/her a small role in the park.

As an example, it looks like Humphrey the Bear is going to play some role in the Storybook Circus -- likely as part of the signage for a food or merchandise location. And there may well be some merchandise with his likeness slapped on it. Has there been, or will there be, any protest against the use of Humphrey, on the grounds that the park is dwelling in the past, or using the fervent nostalgia of rabid fans largely to make a buck?

I just don't see the re-introduction of the Orange Bird as any different than the use of any other character in Disney's stable that's been out of commission for some time. Disney has a lot of IP at its disposal, so why shouldn't they take advantage of it? I personally think it's nice to have more diversity in background art and merchandise -- I'd rather see more appearances from older, "retired" characters than just Mickey and the Gang, Stitch, and Tinker Bell on everything.

And the fact that the Orange Bird was originally introduced in a theme park (as opposed to a movie or TV show), and primarily for purposes of supporting a citrus growers collective, shouldn't make any substantive difference. It's a character that was created by Disney for use with its various properties. I understand the argument about the Orange Bird now being a "copy" of its former self, but I disagree because I don't think the original character ever had such an essentialized definition that it can't ever be taken out of its original context without being nothing more than a cynical facsimile.

Put another way, the Orange Bird never possessed an original essence that was so laden with symbolic meaning that it couldn't ever be utilized again without invoking its original gestalt. It's just a character -- like any other Disney character. No one would argue that the "essential" nature of Mickey Mouse is as he appeared in his earliest cartoons, and that modern-day uses of his likeness are mere phantoms -- watered-down, purely commercialized reflections of the "pure" Mickey.

The Orange Bird is what it is -- to someone who grew up in the '70s, it might be nothing more than fond memories and pure nostalgia. But to the vast majority of people who will encounter him going forward, it'll be whatever they perceive it to be -- whether that be a sweet, cute Disney character; a grotesquely-designed, freakish orange thing; or something that really doesn't leave much of an impression after the vacation is over.

Lee

Adventurer
How is bringing the Adventurers Club back a different situation? I'm not trying to be argumentative -- I'd love to see the AC come back in some form or other -- but, in keeping with the thoughtful and thought-provoking discussion in this thread, I'm curious how you see the distinction.
For me (and maybe only me...) it's a question of time and scale.

The AC, a popular and financially viable venue, was closed less than 4 years ago. I went there a lot, I remember it like it was yesterday.
The OB, for many of those who are making a big deal out of it, is not even a memory. Just some thing they read about. It would be like getting excited about a return of the Frito Kid or KAP, the Kaiser Alluminum Pig. I never saw those marketing mascots at Disneyland and certainly wouldn't see their return as a sign of things "turning around". Gonna take a little more than that for me.

Secondly, scale. A tiny advertising mascot, or a dated character, is far different than an entertainment venue or attraction. Reopen WoL or Adv. Club, reimagine JII, fix the yeti or refurb Jungle...then I'll start believing that changes worthy of excitement are afoot.

jt04

For me (and maybe only me...) it's a question of time and scale.

The AC, a popular and financially viable venue, was closed less than 4 years ago. I went there a lot, I remember it like it was yesterday.
The OB, for many of those who are making a big deal out of it, is not even a memory. Just some thing they read about. It would be like getting excited about a return of the Frito Kid or KAP, the Kaiser Alluminum Pig. I never saw those marketing mascots at Disneyland and certainly wouldn't see their return as a sign of things "turning around". Gonna take a little more than that for me.

Secondly, scale. A tiny advertising mascot, or a dated character, is far different than an entertainment venue or attraction. Reopen WoL or Adv. Club, reimagine JII, fix the yeti or refurb Jungle...then I'll start believing that changes worthy of excitement are afoot.

All in due time. They have to finish up that FLE deal first.

The Empress Lilly

to add . . .

This:

is greater than this:

photo credit: disneyfoodblog.com
I left out the pics so as not to clutter the thread.

Beautiful. How often haven't we complained about merch and food being generic, boring, the same all four parks over?
Now we have one place that is unique, that sells unique foodies, in unique cups. With thematic sense.

This is not a sign of the 'turning of the tide'. Of sincere love for the history of the company and parks. There is no other motive involved for Disney other than to sell stuff. I agree with that. But...why would that be bad? All I want is for them to seduce me with unique, quality, fun offerings. Such as citrus products in Adventureland, presented in a beautiful setting, such as a refurbished Tropical Serenade and Terrace.
This is win.

ToTBellHop

All in due time. They have to finish up that FLE deal first.
They have to finish up the FLE before they can fix a vital show element on one of their most heavily promoted E-Tickets?

It used to be that Disney was willing to make modest expansions AND keep its current roster of attractions in acceptable working order. Imagine if the folks at Disneyland tried to argue that they couldn't make any other reasonable updates during the years that they've been building Cars Land...

The Empress Lilly

It's funny to think that there are fans clamoring for EPCOT Center and they never experienced the park. Horizons is my all-time favorite attraction, but it would have needed to be majorly modernized in order to make it work today or even a decade ago. There are far too many rose-colored glasses around here when it comes to the past of the parks. I could go on, but it would only get me yelled at. :ROFLOL:
[yelling]
Even the people who never did see EPCOT Center have video, have pictures, sounds, music. Every fourteen year old can see that Imagination 1.0 was much larger, more elaborate, more fun.

Me I've never seen Elvis live, but oh boy, did he rock!! :shrug:
[/yelling]

puntagordabob

Beautiful. How often haven't we complained about merch and food being generic, boring, the same all four parks over?
Now we have one place that is unique, that sells unique foodies, in unique cups. With thematic sense.

This is correct!!!

For those who have placed the Orange Bird into two camps...there is a third...and yeah maybe Im the only nerd in it.... but as you all know The Enchanted Tiki Room/Tropical Serenade has been my favorite all-time Disney attraction since I was there a few weeks after opening as a little boy...so the Sunshine Terrace is the center of that Love for obvious reasons.... so Yes I have fond memories of the Orange Bird.... heck I managed to keep the sippy cup probably around for a long time though it was lost likely by the mid 80s I suppose.... (for the record I will be purchasing one my next visit...which may be this Saturday if Real Life does not steal it away with busy life stuff lol)....

I love the attraction poster...... sigh and look how awesome the area looked PRE-Carpets..... now it is so cluttered and clausterphobic....wish they would move that to DHS or something.

jt04

They have to finish up the FLE before they can fix a vital show element on one of their most heavily promoted E-Tickets?

It used to be that Disney was willing to make modest expansions AND keep its current roster of attractions in acceptable working order. Imagine if the folks at Disneyland tried to argue that they couldn't make any other reasonable updates during the years that they've been building Cars Land...

It appears to me that they just fell too far behind at the MK while adding content at other parks and even adding other parks. In retrospect this was likely not a mistake they would repeat.

The FLE is the solution in that it will give them just enough capacity to allow them to fix the rest of the problems within the MK. By going ahead with the BTMRR overhaul they will be much better positioned over the next couple years to do what needs to be done.

Eisner left WDW in quite a 'knot', however it is fascinating to watch it be untangled in such a perfectly systematic way. Half science, half art.

And remember they are doing this while the doomers are doing their best to make their lives as miserable as possible.

It is some sort of poetic justice that their antics and this entire process have been documented and preserved here at this forum. And only this forum. Steve should be proud. And Martin should consider writing a book documenting this era.

wdw71fan

I don't see how he is speculating anything..

And, for what it's worth... He is right..

Eisner thought building MORE was better than building quality.. Studios current state is s perfect example of that failure of foresight.. And Glendale / tdo are finally making strides to fix it.

jt04

refute what? This is just speculation on your part.

I guess I am speculating the HM was refurbished, the HoP was refurbished, the Tiki Room was restored, BTMRR is being refurbished, Liberty Square was brought back, the last two years have seen MSUSA overhauled, the FLE is being added, and the rest of Fantasyland is being refurbished or reimagined.

There is an unmistakeable trend here that anyone can see unless blinded by their hatred of TDO. Hi spirit.

Now here is where I will add some speculation that I think is more educated guess. I think they did not do the radical Space Mountain overhaul because they needed the capacity two tracks offered while doing all the other necessary work to the MK. And I think Frontierland and Adventureland will get the same treatment as Liberty Square and MSUSA before they move on to T-Land. Possibly each will get new attractions.

That Tomorrowland would be last on the list makes a lot of sense if you think about it. And it has been confirmed here that there are plans for a major T-Land project both at DL and WDW.

~class dismissed~ :wave: (except for doomers who have none)

PS - about bringing back Orange Bird, I almost forgot..... Way to go TDO!!!

(I have been able to say that twice today!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom