Starting to get irritated by DVC

MUTZIE77

Original Poster
I am getting very irritated by DVC. Today I called to book two nights at BLT after our disney cruise in November and was told there are no studios available. I then asked about Wilderness Lodge, none available. But they do have a studio at saratoga. Every time I call to make a reservation I end up having to stay at saratoga, this is the 5th time out of six trips since I bought into DVC that I have had to stay at saratoga because there was nothing else available. I am booking just inside the seven month window. I like saratoga, but one if the things that attracted me to DVC was being able to stay at any of the DVC resorts, and that is just not how it actually works. If I called today as a regular customer I am sure the would be falling all over themselves to book a room at any of the resorts for me. It just seems like the people who pay for many stays up front get screwed.

tjkraz

It's all supply and demand, my friend. Each resort only has so many rooms available.

During popular times of the year it isn't uncommon for owners to fully book a resort during their 11 month priority window. Then when that 7-month window arrives there are suddenly hundreds-of-thousands of members who have access to book whatever is still available. Even if you are booking exactly 7 months out, if there were only a handful of rooms available it's possible you missed out by minutes if others booked quicker than you did.

As for cash availability, realize that there are separate inventories for members booking on points and for cash guests. Disney maintains ownership at each of the resorts and they use their inventory to make a handful of rooms available to non-members. Additionally when members trade out of the DVC program (to take Disney Cruises or other non-DVC destinations), the net result is that their points are used to set aside more rooms for non-member cash bookings. That's the methodology used to "pay" for the Disney cruise:

Member spends points...points are used to move DVC villas into cash inventory...proceeds from the cash bookings pay for the cruise.

Most members are pretty successful booking at 7 months but it tends to be very difficult during the fall (October through Christmas holiday) due to Halloween, Food & Wine fest, Christmas festivities, etc. You also need to make sure you are booking RIGHT at 7 months. Again, seconds can literally mean the difference between getting what you want and not getting it.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
For DVC to work they must try to fill all rooms available for points as close to 100 as possible. That is way I always tell someone to buy points at the resort that you want to stay at. Than plan on booking as close to 11 months out as possible if you want to stay at a peck time of year. I tell them that you have to take what you can get at the seven month and less window.

Lynne M

If I called today as a regular customer I am sure the would be falling all over themselves to book a room at any of the resorts for me.

No, they wouldn't. People get shut out of rooms for cash reservations all the time, if they book too late.

You're trying to book very popular resorts at a very popular time of year, and the owners of those resorts have a 4-month booking advantage over you. This isn't Disney discriminating against DVC members, it's your fellow DVC members booking their home resorts inside the 11-month window, and calling earlier in the 7-month window than you have.

slappy magoo

Out of the four times I've booked trips trying to stay somewhere other than my home resort, I've been successful 3 times. The only time I was unsuccessful was a trip in early December 2008, a time where DVC rooms are always in demand by because it's a Value Season but the entire resort is decked out for the holidays.

trs518

I am getting very irritated by DVC. Today I called to book two nights at BLT after our disney cruise in November and was told there are no studios available. I then asked about Wilderness Lodge, none available. But they do have a studio at saratoga. Every time I call to make a reservation I end up having to stay at saratoga, this is the 5th time out of six trips since I bought into DVC that I have had to stay at saratoga because there was nothing else available. I am booking just inside the seven month window. I like saratoga, but one if the things that attracted me to DVC was being able to stay at any of the DVC resorts, and that is just not how it actually works. If I called today as a regular customer I am sure the would be falling all over themselves to book a room at any of the resorts for me. It just seems like the people who pay for many stays up front get screwed.

Did you try the other resorts; Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, and Boardwalk?

erasure fan1

If I called today as a regular customer I am sure the would be falling all over themselves to book a room at any of the resorts for me. It just seems like the people who pay for many stays up front get screwed.

We have been using the DVC for the last 13yrs or so (less than half my time going to Disney). It could just be me, but I really do think the service level is less when you use it. We went a few years ago and paid out of pocket for POLR, and the all around service/experiance was better than most of our stays with DVC. Thats not to say DVC is bad but I think there is a lowering of service when they already have your money.

Yodadudeman

We have been using the DVC for the last 13yrs or so (less than half my time going to Disney). It could just be me, but I really do think the service level is less when you use it. We went a few years ago and paid out of pocket for POLR, and the all around service/experiance was better than most of our stays with DVC. Thats not to say DVC is bad but I think there is a lowering of service when they already have your money.

I'm not part of the DVC so I guess my opinion doesn't really hold much weight. However, I can see how this would be the case. Since your in the DVC, Disney already has a lot of your money. This being the case, they don't really have to do much to "earn" your business, because they already have it lined up for the next fifty years. It's not good, and I'm not saying that I in the least bit agree with it, but I could see how Disney could get apathetic knowing that they already have your business no matter how they treat you.

Coach81

We have only had one problem using the 7th month window for December.. but we still ended up with BCV and we really enjoyed that resort for Christmas!!!

MUTZIE77

Original Poster
Call at the 7 month window and you will have better success. I have been 3 for 3 staying in resorts that were not my home resort.

I called 1 day into the 7 month window. I guess next time I will have to call as soon as the clock strikes 8am eastern time.

fredtom

Book what's available and wait list your preferences. You can have two active wait lists at a time. We've wait listed a number of times and it has always cleared except for only once.

Contrary to a couple of posts about DVC members not being treated as well as "paying" hotel guests, we always feel as we're being treated like royalty. My DW and I usually receive a grand welcome home treatment.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

disneyrcks

We bought into BLT and still have not stayed there with points. We did book for last Feb. at our 11 month window but we had to change the dates and it was booked up. We have always had luck everywhere else. We have stayed BW, BC, OKW, SS, and most recently WLV. The WLV we were able to get by waitlisting. I would love to stay at BLT but we normally decide to take a vacation only 3-4 months ahead of time, so I understand it is what it is. The only thing that really frustrated me was when we paid cash to stay two nights at BLT (since we really wanted to stay there and there was no points availability) and they would not let us visit the lounge. Eventhough we are DVC members and bought into BLT, we had to be staying there with points to gain access. It sucked but again, it is what it is.

Try waitlisting, it may help :)

Murphketeer

Have you tried to wait list either BLT or WL?

Annielkd

Yes, exactly. Especially for the high demand resorts.

I have my home resort as Bay Lake Tower... they are already sold out and it's not even close to the 7 month time frame. You really need to buy some points at the resort you want.... even a block of 50 second hand might help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom