Disney reservation glitch

hrcollectibles

The problem as I've stated many times in many threads is that fans view these wannabe pseudo online celebs as being the same as them. And because of that, their followers tend to believe that if they say everything at WDW is MAGICal, then everything must be.

The issue is these folks are all feeding at the whoring trough of Disney Social Media. And Disney only pays to those who tend to ignore the bad and praise anything (even crap that doesn't deserve it).

It's very easy to tell folks they should stay at the GF or Poly when you aren't paying for it. It's very easy to ignore UNI or SW, when Disney is inviting you to parties and lavishing you with free rooms, food, booze, tickets, swag and chances to mingle with Imagineers, low level execs and C-List celebs.

I'm not saying Ricky or The Mongello or anyone should be negative ... but selectively choosing to only write news about WDW when it is a positive makes you a shill for the company and invalidates just about everything you say.

Those dudes know it, but they don't care ... they're at the front of the trough and are fed well. :wave:

~RIP: Robert B. Sherman~

One of the main reason I quit listening to both of their podcasts, was, in my opinion, their over the top, Disney can do no wrong attitudes..

wilkeliza

The problem as I've stated many times in many threads is that fans view these wannabe pseudo online celebs as being the same as them. And because of that, their followers tend to believe that if they say everything at WDW is MAGICal, then everything must be.

The issue is these folks are all feeding at the whoring trough of Disney Social Media. And Disney only pays to those who tend to ignore the bad and praise anything (even crap that doesn't deserve it).

It's very easy to tell folks they should stay at the GF or Poly when you aren't paying for it. It's very easy to ignore UNI or SW, when Disney is inviting you to parties and lavishing you with free rooms, food, booze, tickets, swag and chances to mingle with Imagineers, low level execs and C-List celebs.

I'm not saying Ricky or The Mongello or anyone should be negative ... but selectively choosing to only write news about WDW when it is a positive makes you a shill for the company and invalidates just about everything you say.

Those dudes know it, but they don't care ... they're at the front of the trough and are fed well. :wave:

I'm not trying to defend them because I am a fan of them or something but I don't like to stand by and watch people say someone got called out and they enjoyed it because of a business choice that hurts no one in reality. If any Disney fan is over mystified about their experience because of something Lou or Ricky said then they just didn't do enough research. I don't listen to just Lou or Ricky but also several other bloggers and podcasters. Seems if Ricky and Lou only want to say positive things because they get some sort of incentive from Disney than so be it. Heck I wish I could get free park tickets and curses for just saying nice things about Disney. I would never say another bad word about Disney if I knew I could vacation for free haha.

Another note is Ricky doesn't just cover Disney. He may dedicate most of his time to Disney but in general he does cover the entire central Florida area. He was at Legoland opening and had an entire section dedicated to Universal Horror Nights. He also has covered Sea World many of times. Ricky just appears to be the kind of person that doesn't want to put more negativity out into the world through his website so he focuses on the finding the positive in everything. I've never met the man but that just seems to be what comes across in general.

LoriSue

On our last trip, we never could get ADRs for Yak and Yeti (tried for 3 months!), but on the day we were at AK, walked up and got a great seat. That might be your best option if you aren't ever able to secure an ADR.
Agreed. Even though I always make the ADR sometimes we want to change the time and I have never had trouble on site. Incidently, the counter service there is also SO good!

Bolna

What is so wrong if Ricky (and Lou from wdwradio for the most part) only want to cover positive stories from the parks? There are enough other blogs and websites full of all the negative so why do there need to be 2 more?

Well, both claim of themselves that they cover "Disney News" and one of them references traditional media in its name.

Whether a negative story or not, I think this is a very important story to put out from a plain "service aspect" so that people who recently made a reservation can check it. It really won't help them very much if the check their dining reservation in the week before the trip and find it isn't there. People reserving dining right now are doing this for the free dining period, so most likely they won't find any availability at all one week before their trip.

And from anyone who claims to cover "Disney News" I would expect to get that warning.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Did the Orlando Sentinel cover this story?
Aside from discussion forums, I have yet to see the story anywhere outside of the touring plans blog. The query "Disney reservation glitch" produces zero results under Google news.

WDW1974

What is so wrong if Ricky (and Lou from wdwradio for the most part) only want to cover positive stories from the parks? There are enough other blogs and websites full of all the negative so why do there need to be 2 more?

Well, both claim of themselves that they cover "Disney News" and one of them references traditional media in its name.

Whether a negative story or not, I think this is a very important story to put out from a plain "service aspect" so that people who recently made a reservation can check it. It really won't help them very much if the check their dining reservation in the week before the trip and find it isn't there. People reserving dining right now are doing this for the free dining period, so most likely they won't find any availability at all one week before their trip.

And from anyone who claims to cover "Disney News" I would expect to get that warning.

That's my key point. And one that gets lost sometimes when I discuss my 'issues' with these online folks.

If you cover Disney, then you owe it to the folks who read/listen/watch your content to not simply pretend things like this aren't happening to keep the Celebration Place Social Media Cabal happy.

~Have they got rid of Gary Buchanan yet?~

WDW1974

I'm not trying to defend them because I am a fan of them or something but I don't like to stand by and watch people say someone got called out and they enjoyed it because of a business choice that hurts no one in reality.

You obviously care enough to post about it. That says something. And I disagree that no one is hurt. When people talk about Disney (or any other company) and are positive all the time and don't say right upfront that 'I am getting this for free' or 'they gave me that', they are being deceptive and are doing so because they know telling the truth will harm their credibility.

If any Disney fan is over mystified about their experience because of something Lou or Ricky said then they just didn't do enough research. I don't listen to just Lou or Ricky but also several other bloggers and podcasters. Seems if Ricky and Lou only want to say positive things because they get some sort of incentive from Disney than so be it. Heck I wish I could get free park tickets and curses for just saying nice things about Disney. I would never say another bad word about Disney if I knew I could vacation for free haha.

I would never get my info from any self-proclaimed 'expert' online on any subject, but I am ancient Spirit and I do realize many folks today would/do.

And what you say above is exactly why there is an issue ... I think Disney 'sites' grow like mold in a Florida bathroom because people realize if they start a site, get some attention and say all positive things that maybe if they wish upon a star, Disney PR will give them its blessings and a credential.

Another note is Ricky doesn't just cover Disney. He may dedicate most of his time to Disney but in general he does cover the entire central Florida area. He was at Legoland opening and had an entire section dedicated to Universal Horror Nights. He also has covered Sea World many of times. Ricky just appears to be the kind of person that doesn't want to put more negativity out into the world through his website so he focuses on the finding the positive in everything. I've never met the man but that just seems to be what comes across in general.

I realize that. But Disney is the big dog. Disney is what all the fanbois/bored housewives/soccer moms want. UNI has also been much tougher on what it allows and whom it credentials. I'd also expect his non-Disney coverage to go down now as he is a Disney InsideEar. Also, please realize I have nothing against Ricky at all. Don't know him at all. Never listened to him or read a thing he's written. He certainly doesn't come off like much of the slime in the fan community.

Still ... I did enjoy seeing Merfie nail him!:drevil:

WDW1974

Did the Orlando Sentinel cover this story?

Why would they?

This is precisely the type of story that Disney websites/blogs/podcasts should be all over. But this isn't newsworthy to real media.

This isn't Disney needing to cancel 40,000 hotel stays or vacation plans. THAT would be newsworthy.

Folks who thought they would be having breakfast at Ohana and had to settle for Kona Cafe isn't.

jakeman

That's my key point. And one that gets lost sometimes when I discuss my 'issues' with these online folks.

If you cover Disney, then you owe it to the folks who read/listen/watch your content to not simply pretend things like this aren't happening to keep the Celebration Place Social Media Cabal happy.

~Have they got rid of Gary Buchanan yet?~
You understand that you sound exactly like someone complaining about the "liberal media" and their negligence in covering what's "important"?

Moreover, I'm not denying that Disney wants and is influencing social media to add a layer of protection to their reputation. Additionally, I'm not on the take or a social media plant, nor do I care about this topic beyond your unhealthy obsession and comical inability to act on it.

With those disclaimers out of the way to hopefully negate your knee jerk responses to anyone challenging you, why don't you start your own blog?

They take all of 30 seconds to set up and would allow you to present your case in a concise format that would be accessible by the very people you are concerned are getting misinformation.

Really, the only thing I see from you is complaining, not action.

RWilliams

Premium Member
Why would they?

This is precisely the type of story that Disney websites/blogs/podcasts should be all over. But this isn't newsworthy to real media.

This isn't Disney needing to cancel 40,000 hotel stays or vacation plans. THAT would be newsworthy.

Folks who thought they would be having breakfast at Ohana and had to settle for Kona Cafe isn't.

My understanding of the situation is that there were reservations that were lost temporarily, making it look as though there were more openings than there were. Those openings were booked and the previous reservations were found. So now the situation is that Disney is overbooked 35,000 tables across property over the next 6 months. They have been giving out the comps and fastpasses to folks when showing up for their reservations on time but being asked to come back at a later time.

RSoxNo1

I haven't really been paying attention to this that much - I've skimmed this thread and heard a bit on WDW Today. What is Disney doing to compensate these 40K people?

Rasvar

So do we know exactly what this glitch is and if it is still ongoing? I was in the parks for the last five days and never really noticed any issues (except for fastpass times not showing on Mobile Magic). I made dining reservations on the fly and ran into no issues with the ones I already had. Is this limited to reservations made in a certain block of days?

DisneyJoe

It was a day or two. It is not ongoing.

From original post "guests who booked dining, tour, and recreation reservations around February 26"

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I heard from a character attendant captain that they're actually adding tables where they can to have higher capacity than ever before, which could make character dining even more crowded (especially for the characters and servers) than before. The problem extends to the end of the Summer.

wdw71fan

Wow... it one post you managed to detail why most other disney / wdw fan websites get along together and this one sits alone on an island because of the attitudes here..

It's funny... WDWMagic didn't report ANYTHING about the reservations glitch either.. I don't see you raking Steve over coals.... I guess you don't crap where you live, eh?

Honestly, the problem here is that you feel that YOU are more important than Ricky, Lou, Kevin, etc... and you aren't getting any attention as a so called disney expert/lifelong fan/insider..

Get over yourself.

DisneyJoe

Also, please realize I have nothing against Ricky at all. Don't know him at all. Never listened to him or read a thing he's written.

So you have no personal knowledge at all if he presents anything even near a balanced view of Disney?? Who is discrediting themselves now?

WDW1974

You understand that you sound exactly like someone complaining about the "liberal media" and their negligence in covering what's "important"?

I never complain about the liberal media. I don't think they're nearly liberal enough ... if they had been doing their jobs right, then a lot of what went down in the last decade might not have.

Moreover, I'm not denying that Disney wants and is influencing social media to add a layer of protection to their reputation. Additionally, I'm not on the take or a social media plant, nor do I care about this topic beyond your unhealthy obsession and comical inability to act on it.

Jake, you care or you wouldn't waste your time posting about it. I'd say you have an unhealthy obsession about something that is simply a concern of mine and a very small one in the fabric of my life.

And inability to act? What would you like me to do ... get Meg Crofton on the phone and suggest she keep folks like Lou Mongello, Tom What's His Face, Ricky Brigante, Jeff Lange and about 200 others out of the parks? Disney likes what these folks are doing ... whoring for the company.

With those disclaimers out of the way to hopefully negate your knee jerk responses to anyone challenging you, why don't you start your own blog?

They take all of 30 seconds to set up and would allow you to present your case in a concise format that would be accessible by the very people you are concerned are getting misinformation.

Jake, anyone can challenge me on anything I post. That's what DISCUSSION boards are for. I have no desire to start a blog, anymore than I have to be on a podcast (and believe me, I know you'll say you won't, but I'd have all sorts of very important folks listening if I ever opted to tell some tales about what Disney doesn't want its fans and consumers to know).

I'm not looking to do anything more than stimulate discussion, interest and thought. It's very simple.

Really, the only thing I see from you is complaining, not action.

And the only thing I really see from you is complaining about my complaining.
Who does that?

~I got nothin~

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom