do you think the crowd for one more disney day will be overcapacity

powlessfamily4

You never can tell about human nature. To some people it will be the event of the year. To others it doesn't warrant a second thought. The important thing is that Disney is planning special events. The probablity of finding myself at one sometime down the road is HUGE! :)

DisneyJoe

I applaud Disney for doing this. Honestly, I don't see any real benefit in it for them. And if you're someone who's going and has a good time at something like this, then I think that's great, so please don't get me wrong. I just find the idea kind of odd.

It's a fairly easy, very visible, promotional item for them.

captainkidd

It's on tv, newspapers....it has been promoted outside of fan sites.

I have clients planning trips just to be there.

Sounds like you're a travel agent, and deal with people booking trips to Disney. As just a regular Joe who doesn't work in the industry, I haven't heard a word about it outside of the advertisement during the Christmas parade and on here.

WDWFigment

No benefit to Disney in doing this? There's a HUGE benefit. It's not the benefit of getting people down there for a slow day in February, it's getting Disney on the news following the NYE announcement and again on Leap Day when, undoubtedly, many news stations will have short blurbs covering leap day events and interviewing random locals who were born on leap day. That blurb will likely contain a mention of this 24-hour event, along with some B-roll footage of EPCOT Center circa 1989.

In other words, the benefit to Disney is exposure. People will see those blurbs and (from Disney's perspective) hopefully that will influence some to book a summer trip to Walt Disney World or Disneyland.

DisneyJoe

Sounds like you're a travel agent, and deal with people booking trips to Disney. As just a regular Joe who doesn't work in the industry, I haven't heard a word about it outside of the advertisement during the Christmas parade and on here.

My point was that my clients had heard about it and contacted me to book their trip.

ddbowdoin

A.Who in the world would be insane enough to line up 8 hours early to get into a park that they plan on spending 24 hours at, when any other day of the year, they can get there 5 minutes early and ride/see just as much? its the mob, walmart induced mindset that creates this... there is no logical way to analyze an illogical thought process.

B.I really don't understand who this is supposed to be aimed at. Locals, who can go to the MK whenever they want? Or tourists - Are they really going to fly down to Orlando just for this? I'd also say it is for locals... but I do know some people who are flying down for this, now realistically they were already considering a last minute trip and this announcement kind of just put the icing on the cake for them.

C.I see some problems arising from this. I don't know too many kids who'll be able to stay up for 24 hours straight. I imagine a lot of adults roaming the MK with their water bottles spiked with Rum and Vodka. Yes, booze will certainly play a role here. I am curious as to what dining options will be made available throughout the late night.

D.I LOVE the Magic Kingdom. It's by far my favorite park. But 24 hours there? As big a fan as I am of the place, there simply isn't enough there to do to fill 24 hours, especially with some attractions down. I also agree with you here... I would be using a lot of the time capturing night images / long exposures that I may not be able to get on a normal basis.

I applaud Disney for doing this. Honestly, I don't see any real benefit in it for them. And if you're someone who's going and has a good time at something like this, then I think that's great, so please don't get me wrong. I just find the idea kind of odd. It's a little gimmeky... and I see where they are going with the whole leap year concept but it is a pretty slow time of year down there and I would have preferred something like this around a busier time of year

just a few thoughts...

ddbowdoin

No benefit to Disney in doing this? There's a HUGE benefit. It's not the benefit of getting people down there for a slow day in February, it's getting Disney on the news following the NYE announcement and again on Leap Day when, undoubtedly, many news stations will have short blurbs covering leap day events and interviewing random locals who were born on leap day. That blurb will likely contain a mention of this 24-hour event, along with some B-roll footage of EPCOT Center circa 1989.

In other words, the benefit to Disney is exposure. People will see those blurbs and (from Disney's perspective) hopefully that will influence some to book a summer trip to Walt Disney World or Disneyland.

I agree with you here, on a purely fundamental and theoretical perspective... but from a realistic point of view I can't imagine people just realizing about Disney World from this exposure. You'd have to live under a rock to have never seen the countless New Republic ads... TV and online (HULU). It is everywhere... constantly! Press is press, and the more the better... but it is not earth shattering content for WDW

EvilQueen-T

We live 2 1/2 hours north of wdw and have been seeing tv commercials heavy promoting the 24 hours. We're going for a few reasons, 1 we're like you guys (disney crazed), 2 we're passholders so why not, 3 we're night owls so over night is waaay more appealing than getting up early for rope drop (my normal bedtime is between 2-3am) and 4 what better reason to play hookie from work mid week? just wish so many attractions weren't down for repair right now.

BenS

I plan on spending the bulk of the day at Epcot and heading to MK at night. I'm hoping the crowds will be lighter in the evening than in the morning.

(on a side note I'm posting this from the airplane on the way to Florida, which I still find extremely cool)

etwtec

Its for the free limited edition ear hats. That is why people will be lining up early. Be it to add to their collection, or sell on the secondary market, but anytime that Disney releases some merchandise in the sub 2000 range, people drive the prices up for a while. And there is the slight change the ears would be cool like some have been lately. If its just the plain black set with a iron on decal, meh......

Are they the same hats that will be on sale as well? How early will people actually get to the park?

Jakester

Are they the same hats that will be on sale as well? How early will people actually get to the park?

I'm hitting the road at 3:30 - 3:45am to drive down to WDW.
If the ferry begins at 4:45am, then thats when they probably will let you start lining up at the turnstyles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom