Will the Christmas music ever end at the parks?

thelookingglass

The peeps love their Christmas music and since the Christmas season is not over for many it only makes sense it is still around in some places. Everything should not be geared to narrow schedules just to please a certain segment of the public. WDW is for everyone.

:wave:
Yes. Let us all be zombies and enjoy having Christmas forced down our throats to the point where, even on vacation, we can't escape it.

It makes sense to play it during December. Considering they start it in like the FIRST WEEK OF NOVEMBER :brick::brick::brick::brick: anything later than the weekend after New Years/January 2nd is absolute overkill and bad show.

Why is it bad show? Because appropriately themed area music for specific areas is replaced with Christmas music. That's why.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Yes. Let us all be zombies and enjoy having Christmas forced down our throats to the point where, even on vacation, we can't escape it.

It makes sense to play it during December. Considering they start it in like the FIRST WEEK OF NOVEMBER :brick::brick::brick::brick: anything later than the weekend after New Years/January 2nd is absolute overkill and bad show.

Why is it bad show? Because appropriately themed area music for specific areas is replaced with Christmas music. That's why.

We were at the Wilderness Lodge yesterday and they were playing THE MIGHTY DUCKS THEME?????? I guess somebody thought "ducks live in the wilderness" or something.

Very lazy and hackish letting theming be selected by somebody is so disassociated with the Disney product that they okayed hockey music for the lodge.

pidrocelli

Christians who follow the Old Calendar (and there are quite a few) celebrate on January 7th. That means their Christmas isn't over until Old Calendar Epiphany on January 19th. These people visit the parks too and they are probably happy to see their holiday is not being ignored. :)

jakeman

We were at the Wilderness Lodge yesterday and they were playing THE MIGHTY DUCKS THEME?????? I guess somebody thought "ducks live in the wilderness" or something.

Very lazy and hackish letting theming be selected by somebody is so disassociated with the Disney product that they okayed hockey music for the lodge.
I think they probably go more by the style of the music rather than the origin.

The BGM loop also includes the theme from Field of Dreams.

Soarin' plays the Band of Brother's theme.

The Magic Kingdom entrance music loops contains the Parade of Ewoks from Return of the Jedi.

The Epcot fountain has a show to both the Rocketeer and Rescuers Down Under.

thelookingglass

Christians who follow the Old Calendar (and there are quite a few) celebrate on January 7th. That means their Christmas isn't over until Old Calendar Epiphany on January 19th. These people visit the parks too and they are probably happy to see their holiday is not being ignored. :)
What about all the people who visit the parks that don't celebrate Christmas at all? Maybe they just want to see Walt Disney World and not "Walt Disney CHRISTMAS World"

BLY

In the UK we traditionally take down our decorations by the January 6th but it was nice when we came out to Florida a couple of years ago for Marathon weekend and we got to see the decorations but we were surprised when they were still up in some parks when we went home mid January.

dcibrando

For someone who has gone to Disney over the past several christmas holidays....I like Christmas music but I've always thought it would be better if they wouldn't play Christmas music in the parks because it kinda ruins the atmosphere and uniqueness of the changing themes in the different areas. Is it just me?

dreamfinder

Is the music STILL playing:confused: :xmas:

It was yesterday. Won't know about today for another hour or so. (At AK at least) As long as the decor is up, the music should match. And most of the music we have heard is themed to the time/place of the appropriate land. It may not be as well matched as the normal music, but it is close.

They seem to be taking down the resorts first this year. Every resort we have been in over the last few days (4 so far) has had the Christmas stuff down. AKL did have it for the first few days, but came down the morning of the half marathon.

COProgressFan

For someone who has gone to Disney over the past several christmas holidays....I like Christmas music but I've always thought it would be better if they wouldn't play Christmas music in the parks because it kinda ruins the atmosphere and uniqueness of the changing themes in the different areas. Is it just me?

No, I understand. I enjoy the music too, but I think they could put forth a better effort to theme the holiday music to the appropriate lands, rather than play "generic Christmas music" in places where it doesn't really fit. There is nothing to prevent them from playing Christmas music in a ragtime/turn of the century style on Main Street, or Mannheim Steamroller-ish futuristic sounding music in Tomorrowland, etc. While I love the Lawrence Welk-type loop of Epcot and the MK, (which has now become "retro", whether intentional or not) it doesn't quite fit.

But as folks have recently been discussing in other threads, Disney really seems to have no concern for maintaining unique themes in different areas anymore, in terms of merch, food, music, characters, entertainment, or even attractions.

thelookingglass

No, its not just you, its anyone who doesn't salivate in Pavlov's Dog fashion when Christmas is mentioned.

"Aw shucks, only two and a half months of the year are devoted to Christmas?? Why can't it be the whole year?"

draybook

What about all the people who visit the parks that don't celebrate Christmas at all? Maybe they just want to see Walt Disney World and not "Walt Disney CHRISTMAS World"

I'm guessing that 1) They've done at least the minimal research into their trip and realize that it's still the holiday season at one of the busiest tourist resorts on the planet and 2) Might not be as uptight over park music as some people on this board seem to be.

Personally I love Xmas music, but on our December trip in 09 I didn't notice the music being played. I guess I fall into both of the categories that I described above.

Horizons1

Too bad for them. Don't go until Feb. or March then.

I agree it is tacky to still have it up this late. It's nothing more than laziness on the part of WDW management.

thelookingglass

Too bad for them. Don't go until Feb. or March then.
You realize a lot of people don't have a choice, right?

Look, I understand that it would be ludicrous of people to not expect Christmas decorations at WDW during December, but I feel that at WDW its absolute overkill when: 1. the decorations and music are up from the first week of November to mid January (approaching 3 months - thats 1/4th of the year!!) and 2. they actively decide to destroy the thematic settings they set to achieve by replacing the music loops with Christmas music.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom