Some things HAVEN'T changed when it comes to customer service...

Main Street USA

Original Poster
I see a lot of complaining about how WDW has gone downhill, etc....and in some areas I agree, but I was floored by amazing customer service on two separate occasions on my trip a few days ago.

First, my wife and I took our new stroller down with us. We used Magical Express, and when we got to our hotel, the driver handed us the stroller, I opened it, and it was completely broken in half up by the handle. I guess he tried to cram it in to the luggage compartment or smashed it in the wrong way. Anyway, I told him the stroller was now broken, and he said "I don't know nothin' about that!" He then hurried back onto the motor coach and wouldn't even look in my direction. The greeter out in front heard our conversation and told me to file a complaint at the front desk. I told the front desk what happened and the manager asked the coach number and how much we paid for the stroller. Coach number was 3108, and the stroller was about $160. He reached into the drawer and pulled out $160 cash and handed it to us. No joke. He then brought out a huge roll of duct tape for a temporary fix of the stroller so we could still use it for the few days we were there.

So, #1, they trusted me. #2, they handed me cash for something that was, first and foremost, a Mears problem, not a Disney problem. They could have very easily given me the Mears # to complain to them. #3, they used as little of my time a possible and took all the burden upon themselves to address the problem with Mears.

Second story...We bought my daughter the little, plastic princess set of 6 princesses. They're like little squeezable bath toys, $19 or so. Well, we lost the Snow White out of the set somewhere along the way, and my daughter (almost 2 yrs old) was constantly asking where Snow White went. So, my wife went into the store at POP and asked if there was a way to just buy the Snow White, knowing full well the answer would likely be no. To our surprise, the lady walked over to the shelf, grabbed another set, ripped it open, pulled out the Snow White and handed it to our daughter. No questions asked. Again, we couldn't believe it. We offered to pay for it, but she wouldn't let us.

So, again #1, they trusted us. #2, they handed us something for free when it was OUR fault we lost the toy, not theirs.

I had heard stories of these type of things happening back in the day, but it's seems to be rare in the present. These are the little things that set companies of this size apart, and what has helped make WDW a place in which people want to return. It helps people feel cared for, wanted, and appreciated.

Just thought I'd share!

mrsdanalind

I see a lot of complaining about how WDW has gone downhill, etc....and in some areas I agree, but I was floored by amazing customer service on two separate occasions on my trip a few days ago.

First, my wife and I took our new stroller down with us. We used Magical Express, and when we got to our hotel, the driver handed us the stroller, I opened it, and it was completely broken in half up by the handle. I guess he tried to cram it in to the luggage compartment or smashed it in the wrong way. Anyway, I told him the stroller was now broken, and he said "I don't know nothin' about that!" He then hurried back onto the motor coach and wouldn't even look in my direction. The greeter out in front heard our conversation and told me to file a complaint at the front desk. I told the front desk what happened and the manager asked the coach number and how much we paid for the stroller. Coach number was 3108, and the stroller was about $160. He reached into the drawer and pulled out $160 cash and handed it to us. No joke. He then brought out a huge roll of duct tape for a temporary fix of the stroller so we could still use it for the few days we were there.

So, #1, they trusted me. #2, they handed me cash for something that was, first and foremost, a Mears problem, not a Disney problem. They could have very easily given me the Mears # to complain to them. #3, they used as little of my time a possible and took all the burden upon themselves to address the problem with Mears.

Second story...We bought my daughter the little, plastic princess set of 6 princesses. They're like little squeezable bath toys, $19 or so. Well, we lost the Snow White out of the set somewhere along the way, and my daughter (almost 2 yrs old) was constantly asking where Snow White went. So, my wife went into the store at POP and asked if there was a way to just buy the Snow White, knowing full well the answer would likely be no. To our surprise, the lady walked over to the shelf, grabbed another set, ripped it open, pulled out the Snow White and handed it to our daughter. No questions asked. Again, we couldn't believe it. We offered to pay for it, but she wouldn't let us.

So, again #1, they trusted us. #2, they handed us something for free when it was OUR fault we lost the toy, not theirs.

I had heard stories of these type of things happening back in the day, but it's seems to be rare in the present. These are the little things that set companies of this size apart, and what has helped make WDW a place in which people want to return. It helps people feel cared for, wanted, and appreciated.

Just thought I'd share!

That is how Disney trains it's employees, and the ones who don't follow the Disney Principle of Guest Service need to be reported by name and by location so that the company can review the need for that cast members service. Sometimes they put them where they don't interact with the guests, and then all are happy campers. Some times they terminate them if they can't or wont' work withing the training and guidelines. Glad you had a fantastic experience. :wave:

muse1983

That is how Disney trains it's employees, and the ones who don't follow the Disney Principle of Guest Service need to be reported by name and by location so that the company can review the need for that cast members service. Sometimes they put them where they don't interact with the guests, and then all are happy campers. Some times they terminate them if they can't or wont' work withing the training and guidelines. Glad you had a fantastic experience. :wave:

I really should have reported the Haunted Mansion CM who was texting on her phone....

Kirk88

Awesome, thanks for sharing! We had something similar happen this summer. My daughter busted the chin strap on her Princess ears that we bought at DTD. My wife stopped in the hat shop on Main Street in MK and asked if she could pay to get them fixed. Without batting an eye the CM stitched my daughter's name into another set of ears and handed them to my wife. Customer service has never been a complaint of ours at WDW.

Todd H

I was impressed with the CMs when we went in November. I was worried that we would have a rough time getting a GAC for our autistic child but it couldn't have been easier. The gentleman that helped us was super friendly and explained everything in great detail. Kudos to Disney.

828tnt

really great to hear!!!! i think the cast members typically go above and beyond. those two things could have really put a damper on your trip. we were blown away by what they did for us on our last trip and made sure we wrote a letter to thanks them.

i only wish some of the decision makers took a similar approach more often....

mergatroid

Great story that and good to hear. Ours isn't nearly as exciting but I'll share anyway. My wife had bought a new bag that had some magnet on the front to keep the pocket on it closed. Anyway after entering Hollywood Studios she returned her annual pass into the front pocket off the bag. When she tried to get a fast pass the machine declined to issue one as it couldn't read the AP properly. After spending several minutes with a CM who couldn't figure what was wrong she was told to return to guest relations near the entrance to the park. She told me to stay there and ride TOT with my fastpass whilst she went to sort it out. She returned about ten minutes later with a new AP (and instructions where not to store it) and a load of fast passes. They'd basically asked her what rides she and I liked and then issued her two fast passes for each of them :)

Now I realise that didn't cost Disney anything, but they also didn't have to do it and it was great customer service.

Tink ッ

I really should have reported the Haunted Mansion CM who was texting on her phone....

Yeah that's really not allowed, CMs shouldn't have mobile phones on them at all while at work, it should be left in their bag. If she were doing that a lot, I'm sure she's gotten trouble for it at least once though.

WDWFigment

Great stories! Unfortunately, it seems that people are more likely to dole out criticism than they are praise, but we've experienced a number of great Cast Members in recent years. Nothing quite as great as your first experience, but great nonetheless!

Monorail Lime

It's possible the cast member was a lead or manager who had a necessary business reason to use their Blackberry on stage. Were they using the device in a discreet manner that did not detract from the show?

tink65

We had a similar thing happen to us and it blew my mind. We were riding Haunted Mansion with some friends and somehow my daughter lost one of her flip flops on the ride. (don't ask me how, she is 17 and was probably doing something she wasn't supposed to be doing anyhow) Anyway, we told the CM that's located at the end of the ride and she had us wait to the side until the ride cycled all the way through again. Anyway, the flip flop didn't turn up. Another CM had us wait just a minute longer and when he came back he gave my daughter a voucher for a free pair of flip flops from any store at MK and even had a free coke on the voucher too! I was completely surprised and thrilled by this level of customer service!

The Empress Lilly

Awesome stories all around!

I do dread people abusing this sort of thing, but for all of us normal folk these kind gestures mean a lot.

I too can only praise nearly all employees I dealt with at WDW during my last trip, from a cleaner to Rapunzel.

DisneySaint

Thanks for posting - be sure to copy/paste this in an e-mail to Guest Communications with dates and times if you can remember them - they love to hear this stuff, and the cast members get recognized!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom