Priceline for rental cars

britlightyear

Original Poster
Has anyone used Priceline- name your own price for a rental car at MCO? We are going for 11 days in Feb. and the cheapest rate I can find (even after using a coupon code and ID) is around $500. We have NEVER paid even close to that for a rental car. Last year we paid $230. So I was wondering if anyone had used the name your own price option on Priceline and how it turned out? Also, what was the per day rate you chose? I'm thinking of starting at $20/day for a fullsize car and then going up by a dollar a day if that doesn't work. Anyone have opinions? Better options for rental car deals?

rob0519

Never used priceline, but I can tell you we were there in August and the rental prices were the highest I've ever paid as well. It's all supply and demand and for some reason the demand must still be high.

Magical Dreamer

I booked a mini van through Alamo at a $242. weekly rate for November.

It was booked awhile ago.....but maybe you could get the rate through Priceline

wdwmemories

I have never tested it myself but I read that sometimes you pay less if you wait until closer to your visit. In other words, you pay a very high price for booking a car far in advance. I know it seems counter intuitive. I would reserve a car now (being sure that I can cancel without a fee) and check prices as I get closer to the trip. My concern with Priceline is that you have to pre-pay and I believe there are no refunds if your plans change.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Never used priceline, but I can tell you we were there in August and the rental prices were the highest I've ever paid as well. It's all supply and demand and for some reason the demand must still be high.

Rental companies are carrying smaller fleets. A lot has to do with local taxes and a soft economy.

PeoplemoverTTA

I've used Priceline for a rental car in Orlando three times. They're all big name companies (I had Avis once, National, and I think Alamo).

The lowest bid I've had accepted is $9 per day. I have also had $10 accepted ($10 was for a midsize, the $9 was for a compact).

Ironically, my bid of $9 was not accepted for my weekend getaway in October, arriving Friday night departing Sunday morning. I joined Alamo's club online (free), and ended up getting a much cheaper rate booking direct (I also pre-checked in and walked right out of the AP and to a car - so convenient!). The total for the weekend, with fees, came to $40. The lesson here is to check all coupon codes direct before trying Priceline, but you can often make out better through the bidding site.

Both my accepted bids were for week-long stays, and were booked at about a month out. There's no harm in trying now, though, but just know that the entire price will be charged to your card if it's accepted, and you can't cancel.

Good luck!

britlightyear

Original Poster
I've used Priceline for a rental car in Orlando three times. They're all big name companies (I had Avis once, National, and I think Alamo).

The lowest bid I've had accepted is $9 per day. I have also had $10 accepted ($10 was for a midsize, the $9 was for a compact).

Ironically, my bid of $9 was not accepted for my weekend getaway in October, arriving Friday night departing Sunday morning. I joined Alamo's club online (free), and ended up getting a much cheaper rate booking direct (I also pre-checked in and walked right out of the AP and to a car - so convenient!). The total for the weekend, with fees, came to $40. The lesson here is to check all coupon codes direct before trying Priceline, but you can often make out better through the bidding site.

Both my accepted bids were for week-long stays, and were booked at about a month out. There's no harm in trying now, though, but just know that the entire price will be charged to your card if it's accepted, and you can't cancel.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! This is exactly the info I was looking for. I'm trying to decide what amount to start bidding.

SAV

If you haven't bid yet, check out www.biddingfortravel.com and see what they are showing. It's a site where people who "win" bids on Priceline post their details so others can use that same strategy to win their bids.

Yo Ho

I just booked a car last week through Priceline for our Disney trip, which begins this coming Saturday. I got a minivan from Alamo for $25 a day for 8 days. That was my first bid. Of course, now I'm kicking myself for not bidding lower to begin with. I never thought that one would be accepted.

Good luck!

snesguy

It's probably not as cheap as Priceline name your own price, but I've used hotwire.com quite a bit for rental cars. I like it because it's usually much cheaper than booking direct but I don't have to go through the hassle of bidding (and sometimes losing). I can see exactly the price I'm going to pay and decide if it's worth it to me and if I decide I want it I buy it. I've always gotten good rental car companies through Hotwire. In MCO last spring I got National. To me the convenience of Hotwire is worth it. I usually start looking as far in advance as I can and if I see a price I'm happy with I'll book it.

If I use priceline I go to one of the better bidding sites to try to get an idea where to start my bid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom