5th Park Opening in Time for WDW's 50th (Jim Hill)

Thurp

"They" never announced Night Kingdom. And by "they", I assume you mean Disney.

Night Kingdom was a concept that only Jim Hill spoke about publicly. Night Kingdom and the Night Kingdom Saga was a tale entirely distributed by Jim Hill and his website. No one from Disney ever mentioned it once. Interestingly, none of the other well-known bloggers or website celebs (Al Lutz, etc.) ever got close to the Night Kingdom topic, they wouldn't even touch it. It was entirely a Jim Hill property, and it never came to be.

I always assumed that the Night Kingdom story may have been leaked to Mr Hill on purpose in order to put out a feeler out there and see what the public reaction would be.

I do think that Jim pulls stories out of thin air or makes a big deal out of a bit of info, but I wonder if he was used in this occasion.

I've met Jim, he's a nice guy and he does love Disney. I don't think he does things maliciously. Having said that, I tend not to give much weight to what he writes. I see him more as an entertainment writer.

Disaddict

I don't think he does things maliciously.

True but there's a difference between doing it maliciously and simply posting things with your head up your rear end. I have always found it hard to describe his news to other people but I love what the pp said about his tactics...
'Hill throws some crap on a wall, hopes some sticks.'

Though won't we all be surprised if this is actually true? LOL Ohhhhh I can just see the complaint threads on the new park. :ROFLOL: No matter how amazing it is you'll see a ton of "What the **** did they do that for?!?!?! Why didn't they do ___________________ ?" :ROFLOL:

RSoxNo1

I just don't see Disney making a whole park based on the Marvel characters - it would be a like a 6-Flags - tacky. There is not enough material there to satisfy all generations.

That being said, if there was to be a fifth park, you have to look at the 4 current parks, each with its own over-arching grand scheme: MK = fantasy lands, Epcot= the world, both present and future, HS = hollywood and glamour, AK = animals (prehistoric, current and fantasy).

If they make a 5th park, it will have to be based on a BIG theme - I say they go with a Space themed park -can you imagine! Think of all the imagineers could do with "space" as their theme! They could have attractions based on star wars for the adults, Buzz Lighyear for the kids, gravity defying rides for the teenagers, etc. It could get into a more techy feel and include themes from Tron. I know it would be infringing on Tomorrowland a bit, Mission Space and Star Wars already at HS but, the ideas with space are limitless. And, it's a big enough theme to interest all sorts of people and have attractions for all age groups. Heck, with space, you get "dark" and it could even include some type of villain section???

But what would the icon be???

Don't we already have three parks with space themed attractions? The perception of most people is that Space = The Future and as such this would just be adding another Tomorrowland or Future World.

As for this rumor - there have been 5th gate rumors for a while, and I'm sure there are plans for new gates going on all the time. That doesn't mean it's going to happen in the next 10 years.

KCheatle

Don't we already have three parks with space themed attractions? The perception of most people is that Space = The Future and as such this would just be adding another Tomorrowland or Future World. QUOTE]

Yes, but didn't we also have the Jungle Cruise before Animal Kingdom? And, Tomorrowland before Future World? Disney has never stopped coming up with bigger,grander ideas simply because it had already thought of the idea in a smaller context. Not saying there will be a 5th park or that it will be "space" themed- I just think there is a lot to run with there and definitely something I think Disney would try to conquer before anyone else.

Further, besides the Ocean/water, it's really the only "Grand Scheme" topic they have not devoted a theme park to. The cool thing about Space is that it, in and of itself, suggests unknown and never experienced feelings, sights, etc. that Disney could really have a ball making available to their consumer in a very real and uniquely Disney way. Just sayin...

njDizFan

If or ever we see capacities or phase closing at all 4 parks during peak times what is the imputus to shell out billions of dollars just to canabalize the current attendance. The returns would not show profitiablity for years if ever.

Now let's just see if we are lucky enough to see Avatarland get built

jt04

Bingo! We have a winner.

This 5th Park rumor currently means nothing, it is currently nothing, and I have a strong hunch it's been entirely fabricated within the walls of Mr. Hill's cabin in New Hampshire as he readies for winter hibernation.

Disney has no plan for the 50th yet. Heck, I can gaurantee that there's a bit of a frenzy in TDO's offices on this Friday afternoon as they scramble to finish the plans for the 40th they pulled out of thin air a few weeks ago. They have not given one single thought to the 50th yet. They'll get around to that in 2019, if we're lucky. If we are unlucky, TDO will get around to it in early 2021.

And Mr. Hill has decreed that there will be "new parades and shows" in all the parks by then? And that there will be a fifth park by then too? The new parade thing proves Hilly has got no idea what he's talking about (again), as parades and shows get even a shorter development span than a new park or attraction would, so that's stuff they would start thinking about in 2019 for a 2021 debut.

This is much ado about absolutely nothing. A cynic would assume this was a desperate grab for some weekend traffic to a dying website, and nothing more. I would side with the cynic on this one.

Of course if he had said there was an AvatarLand coming to WDW a couple weeks ago you would have said this exact same thing.

docnabox

Don't we already have three parks with space themed attractions? The perception of most people is that Space = The Future and as such this would just be adding another Tomorrowland or Future World. QUOTE]

Yes, but didn't we also have the Jungle Cruise before Animal Kingdom? And, Tomorrowland before Future World? Disney has never stopped coming up with bigger,grander ideas simply because it had already thought of the idea in a smaller context. Not saying there will be a 5th park or that it will be "space" themed- I just think there is a lot to run with there and definitely something I think Disney would try to conquer before anyone else.

Further, besides the Ocean/water, it's really the only "Grand Scheme" topic they have not devoted a theme park to. The cool thing about Space is that it, in and of itself, suggests unknown and never experienced feelings, sights, etc. that Disney could really have a ball making available to their consumer in a very real and uniquely Disney way. Just sayin...

The problem I see happening with a space themed park would be exactly the same problem they seem to have encountered with the "space" or "future" aspects of the example listed above. What is the future now will not be the future later. What is futuristic during development might become mundane or irrelevent by the time a park would be completed. And what about a whole park themed to the future after it has been in existence for 20 years? We all see that upgrading rides to current concepts and technology is not something that seems to be a high priority to the people down there. So, in 20 years, they would wind up with a park that is outdated and seemingly boring, attendance would drop and they would have a mess.

jt04

If or ever we see capacities or phase closing at all 4 parks during peak times what is the imputus to shell out billions of dollars just to canabalize the current attendance. The returns would not show profitiablity for years if ever.

Now let's just see if we are lucky enough to see Avatarland get built

So far Iger is batting a thousand.

maryszhi

i wish they would make a park that was part disney sea and part california adventure, with some adventure rides. i feel disney needs a few coasters on par with islands of adventure and busch gardens.it would make me a happy girl. i just realized something....i will be 31 for disneyworlds 50th.....scary thought lol

modegreen

The problem is, with adding the mythical "fifth gate" to Walt Disney World, is that adding the fourth gate (DAK) didn't really spread crowds out in the Magic Kingdom like it should have. I'm also pretty sure everyone expects "new parades and shows!" to be a part of any Disney celebration.

I just want Disney to keep re-doing sections of MK, like they're doing with Fantasyland. Adventureland could use a coaster (the only major coaster-less land after FLE gets completed), some small attractions like Country Bear Jamboree and Hall of Presidents could be remodeled, and, well, Tomorrowland...

tman2000

After everything that has happened in the last two years, I can draw three conclusions about a possible fifth gate.

1) It will be 100% modern. Fastpass 'apps' or devices if you don't have a phone. Information technology totally integrated. Interactive queues. Etc.

2) It will be adult oriented. It will definitely include one major section, or rather, more than one major attraction, geared to a slightly older audience.

3) It will be 'buzz-worthy'. Think back to the beginnings of DL and DW. A land of 'imagination, past, future, fantasy' was novel enough. Nowadays people are impressed by "Spider-man World" or "Twilight: The Movie-land" (oh heaven forbid, just making a point about the flavor-of-the-month)

What remains to be seen is what theme will integrate these three elements, while maintaining enduring appeal.

Star Wars land, or Marvel world fit the category of 'getting warmer'. But I don't see Disney trying to compete with IOA, unless people keep not getting enough Spider-man reboots and Thor 5. Star Wars land should exist, but it would be best where it is now - throw in an Indiana Jones COASTER over the stunt show land.

So what remains? Villain world, history world, disney sea (america). These are all great themes, but don't necessarily fit all the categories.

Nintendo World? Disney's Americana (1920's, 60's etc.)? I have no idea.

BigTxEars

Honestly this would not be a bad idea at all. Many people put Harry Potter and Star Wars on the same level (I'm not one of those people...Star Wars blows HP out of the water...but thats just my opinion)

But I personally know people who are big HP fans and flocked to Universal for the sole purpose of visiting WWoHP.

Let's take a look at Star Wars conventions all over the country - that plenty of fans flock to. A whole Star Wars land...better yet, park? They'd be cramming to get there. And if the park held special Star Wars event (think Star Wars weekends - every day!) then people would continue to travel down to visit. I think a Star Wars land at DHS would be better suited for Disney so that money can be placed elsewhere.

BUT if we're making personal wishes - I want a Villain Park - Villain Village, please. Hell, I'll take a Villain land!

I agree with you, a Star Wars park is very very viable IMO. We do disagree on HP vs SW, I think HP is a better franchise by far. Just my .02 :)

Computer Magic

This actually makes since. There is a group of us on facebook already planning an event for the 50th. Disney must have caught word and decided to roll out a 5th gate. We were only expecting Disney to roll out the red carpet for our arrival..

:cool:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
This actually makes since. There is a group of us on facebook already planning an event for the 50th. Disney must have caught word and decided to roll out a 5th gate. We were only expecting Disney to roll out the red carpet for our arrival..

:cool:

I always knew you were a high roller.

yensid67

If they make a 5th park, it will have to be based on a BIG theme - I say they go with a Space themed park -can you imagine! Think of all the imagineers could do with "space" as their theme! They could have attractions based on star wars for the adults, Buzz Lighyear for the kids, gravity defying rides for the teenagers, etc. It could get into a more techy feel and include themes from Tron. I know it would be infringing on Tomorrowland a bit, Mission Space and Star Wars already at HS but, the ideas with space are limitless. And, it's a big enough theme to interest all sorts of people and have attractions for all age groups. Heck, with space, you get "dark" and it could even include some type of villain section???

But what would the icon be???

THE ICON COULD BE A LARGE, RAISED PLOT OF LAND AT THE END OF THE MAIN ENTRANCE!

Get it? A park based on SPACE...and the icon is a vast expanse of empty 'space'! LOL:ROFLOL:

NoChesterHester

The Night Kingdom concept was real. It has been confirmed by multiple insiders that it was Rasulo's pet project.

The concept is sound too. Disney doesn't need another traditional theme park in top if the four it already has. There is plenty of expansion space and opportunity in the existing four parks to expand and grow beyond the rest of my years.

The only way to really grow the business is to invent new paradigms. A boutique park with extreme experiences is possibly where the future is. Perhaps it is something we haven't seen yet.

I find it extremely unlikely, for all the reasons already listed we will ever see a traditional 5th gate at Walt Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom