AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Rescue Ranger

Some must remember though.....don't think "Avatar" so much and just think Disney is creating a new out-of-this-world in AK. I mean, its not like the blue people are taking over the park, you may see none. This is focusing more on the illuminating plant life and not of this planet creatures FROM the movie and not so much the movie itself. They probably would have created something similar eventually anyway, except this just has James Cameron's involvment which will make it even better. I mean, if they had no Avatar signage and no blue people, the majority would probably have no clue it was involved with Avatar.

I myself can't wait to see how they are going to tackle the floating waterfalls and mountains lol

Condorman

Whether or not it was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, it's very possible that when Staggs looked at Carsland and said he wanted something like it for WDW, and he considered the IPs readily available, he may very well have thought of and even approached George Lucas with regards to Star Wars. It's possible Disney wanted him to foot half the bill, which he could afford; it's possible Lucas didn't want to front any of the money; it's possible he wanted too much profit-sharing; it's possible they never went to him at all.

Star Wars seems like the better property over Avatar considering the myriad worlds and creatures available. Still, we now know it won't be Star Wars and so you'll just have to deal with Avatar. We have yet to see Avatar 2 & 3, and Cameron may (and should) introduce other planets and creatures to greater diversify this story he's telling. It can't all be blue navis on Pandora. But any way you look at it, WDI will do an amazing job with it. Should they have just announced an Australia, South America, Antarctica or Oceania, and wouldn't those have done as well? We know they would have. But it's Avatar. Deal with it. The way I see it, DAK will now have it's own version of Tomorrowland, part mythological and part futuristic. We'll see in 2018.

menamechris

It makes perfect sense. The quicker they can get parts open, the faster capacity increases for the park, and the faster guests can come and see those sections.

While I have no idea how Disney will plan to attacked a phased opening for Avatar - one thing I DO know is that capacity is not a motivator for this project. The capacity for AK is enormous and rarely even comes close to being reached. This project is actually quite the opposite of the FLE - FLE was to create more space in the MK. The Avatar expansion is to bring people in just to fill the space they already have...

Mr Wizard

Well, if Disney is teaming up with Fox then I guess it's acceptable for me to use a catch phrase of one of their characters to add my two cents to this whole Avatar thingie. "Worst idea ever !"

DonaldDoleWhip

I've already tried using the rational evidence from rottentomatoes, but the haters still insist that Avatar is widely considered to be a bad film. The academy award nomination for best picture, and the fact that this movie's box office reached the levels it did due to word of mouth, also fail to convince them that Avatar might be considered a decent film to many people. :brick:

I expect good things from this upcoming land, and there's no reason to assume the worst before any official concepts are even out yet.

Some must remember though.....don't think "Avatar" so much and just think Disney is creating a new out-of-this-world in AK. I mean, its not like the blue people are taking over the park, you may see none. This is focusing more on the illuminating plant life and not of this planet creatures FROM the movie and not so much the movie itself. They probably would have created something similar eventually anyway, except this just has James Cameron's involvment which will make it even better. I mean, if they had no Avatar signage and no blue people, the majority would probably have no clue it was involved with Avatar.

I myself can't wait to see how they are going to tackle the floating waterfalls and mountains lol
I completely agree with you. People seem to be afraid that Avatar is a fad and might not be popular down the road. While the plans are still in the development stages, I think it's safe to assume that the land won't be a real-life version of the movie storyline ... it'll be a real-life version of Pandora. It's about recreating the beautiful environment and animals that served as the setting in the films. The attractions might incorporate some elements from the films, but I don't think this will be one of those cases that you need to see the movies to enjoy the in-park experience; and I think it's very possible that those that don't like that movies will be perfectly happy walking around this new land. I'm getting the impression that people are most upset that this isn't an original in-house Disney idea. I'm sure if the Avatar movie hadn't been made and Disney proposed this new land, people here would be excited about it.

dxwwf3

I'm getting the impression that people are most upset that this isn't an original in-house Disney idea. I'm sure if the Avatar movie hadn't been made and Disney proposed this new land, people here would be excited about it.

Yep. Personally, I wish WDI would be allowed to create theme park specific original properties, but since that seems to be impossible in modern times, it doesn't matter to me where the movie properties come from. Disney, Fox, Paramount....doesn't mean anything different to me. Actually, IMO, most Disney live action films are total garbage, so what is the parks division supposed to do? Take away the POTC films and you've got to look long and hard to find 5 good live action Disney films.

Kamikaze

I've already tried using the rational evidence from rottentomatoes, but the haters still insist that Avatar is widely considered to be a bad film. The academy award nomination for best picture, and the fact that this movie's box office reached the levels it did due to word of mouth, also fail to convince them that Avatar might be considered a decent film to many people. :brick:

I expect good things from this upcoming land, and there's no reason to assume the worst before any official concepts are even out yet.

I think this was a great match, the land will be well done, and the idea is sound. The vistas from the movie should make for some extraordinary theming.

However, none of that changes my opinion that the movie was terrible and extremely overrated.

While I have no idea how Disney will plan to attacked a phased opening for Avatar - one thing I DO know is that capacity is not a motivator for this project. The capacity for AK is enormous and rarely even comes close to being reached. This project is actually quite the opposite of the FLE - FLE was to create more space in the MK. The Avatar expansion is to bring people in just to fill the space they already have...

There is a big difference between the capacity for the park (that results in closings) and actual ride capacity. The two are related, but not the same. The gigantic size of AK allows its actual in park capacity to be much higher than any other park. But the limited number of continuously operating attractions limits its HRC severely. Thats the capacity I was referring to, not the number of people they can get through the gates. A lower parkwide HRC means less waiting in lines. This is why they need another crowd eater at DHS. Not because the park ever hits phased closings, but because the attractions that are popular always have long queues.

DonaldDoleWhip

I think this was a great match, the land will be well done, and the idea is sound. The vistas from the movie should make for some extraordinary theming.

However, none of that changes my opinion that the movie was terrible and extremely overrated.
I've never seen the movie, I wasn't interested when it came out.

But the fact is, when you look at objective criteria for determining if a movie is perceived as "good" (academy award nominations, an aggregate of critic ratings on rotten tomatoes, and box office patterns), Avatar easily fits the criteria. I don't care if you or half of this forum insist that most people thought the movie was bad (or, as someone actually said, "widely considered to be a bad [film]"). You're simply wrong. Anyone can have an opinion on whether the movie was good or bad, but to say "it was widely considered to be a bad film" requires some substantive support.

fbp

Why isn't everyone just being positive about this until we at least see some concept art, or get an idea about how the land will pan out?

I wonder if people were this negative when Disney announced his collaboration with the Brothers Grimm?

Prototype82

Why isn't everyone just being positive about this until we at least see some concept art, or get an idea about how the land will pan out?

I wonder if people were this negative when Disney announced his collaboration with the Brothers Grimm?
Because complaining is their favorite past time. They've been so used to being bummed about the lack of new things in AK that by the time something new and immersive is announced, they just don't feel right being happy about it.

And also, I lol'd. :ROFLOL:

erasure fan1

It makes perfect sense. The quicker they can get parts open, the faster capacity increases for the park, and the faster guests can come and see those sections.

I have to disagree with this concept. The AK has run at the current capacity levels now since Everest was built. So whats an extra couple more years to do it right. I feel the best thing you could do is get the entire land complete so you can have a proper opening and give people a real WOW factor. (unlike the FLE) I think this should be an event and if it is a staggered opening it wont be.

disneyWX

Because complaining is their favorite past time. They've been so used to being bummed about the lack of new things in AK that by the time something new and immersive is announced, they just don't feel right being happy about it.

And also, I lol'd. :ROFLOL:

I'm sorry...I thought AK was a DISNEY PARK :brick:

By annexing and partnering with a variance of institutions at the expense of its 'in-house' creations, I fear Disney is going to bring about its own demise.

This thought is truly disheartening for those of us who enjoy classic Disney culture and refuse to be spoon-fed which projects constitute quality additions to the Parks.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'm sorry...I thought AK was a DISNEY PARK :brick:

By annexing and partnering with a variance of institutions at the expense of its 'in-house' creations, I fear Disney is going to bring about its own demise.

This thought is truly disheartening for those of us who enjoy classic Disney culture and refuse to be spoon-fed which projects constitute quality additions to the Parks.

You're looking at Disney "culture" through rose colored glasses.

Disney did not create:
  • Cinderella
  • Snow White
  • Pinocchio
  • Peter Pan
  • The Muppets
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • The list goes on...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom