AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

danpam1024

personally I went to WWOHP this summer....it's more like what I termed the "Claustrophobic World of Harry Potter" Universal badly misjudged crowds at peak and such, all of the little stores from the franchise had lines all the way through them, you couldn't even get to the merchandise....Then there was not a seat or bench to be found, and the walkways were literally jammed full. It was an awful experience, not to mention the whole Hogwarts castle ride, waited 2 hours for it in the rain....and it kept breaking down....I'm going to start a thread in universal forum....now that I think back....I have a lot of venting to do!

^The point of the post is, I never really feel like that in a disney park just walking around, (aside from Main St at parade time and such) but this was all day.....Disney handles things better than Universal imo.

WWOHP was built to scale, that is what makes it feel real. Once the hype dies down, it will still be there and be more enjoyable to the muggles that love it so.

Prototype82

Because while their imaginations are limitless their budgets are not.

And from what we've seen recently regarding finance and new projects for Florida the chances are pretty good this will be another "cut and gut" before it's all said and done.
With the way Fantasyland is going, I have a lot of faith in the project. Even if Pandora's budget is cut from 500mil to 200min and scaled down to the size of phase 1 of the Wizarding World, I'll still be happy.

Scuttle

Because while their imaginations are limitless their budgets are not.

And from what we've seen recently regarding finance and new projects for Florida the chances are pretty good this will be another "cut and gut" before it's all said and done.

This is different than any other project that WDI has tackled. Remember this is a response to a competitor not just an addition to address capacity issues. I dont think Cameron will let any significant budget cuts happen.

SleepingMonk

With the way Fantasyland is going, I have a lot of faith in the project. Even if Pandora's budget is cut from 500mil to 200min and scaled down to the size of phase 1 of the Wizarding World, I'll still be happy.

Disney doesn't spend like Universal.

$200 million at WDW will get you a single major ride and a gift shop at most.

Again just the Little Mermaid ride, which is VERY simple and basic was reported to be $100 million.

scout68

I don't doubt, for a second, that there will be a military presence in the "land." That's part of the "world." I would imagine that it would be kept within the confines of an attraction though (although, AMP's here and there wouldn't be bad.)

The world of Avatar (not Pandora) does have the military presence...but the majority of that "world" focuses on the conservation of the beautiful landscape.

I believe at the conclusion of the movie the military presence was "sent back to their dying world"

Prototype82

Disney doesn't spend like Universal.

$200 million at WDW will get you a single major ride and a gift shop at most.

Again just the Little Mermaid ride, which is VERY simple and basic was reported to be $100 million.
Huh...Good point. I didn't even think about that. I remember Mission Space took what, $200 million?

SleepingMonk

I dont think Cameron will let any significant budget cuts happen.

I really don't think that will be his decision to make.

Creative control and design input...sure.

Final project cost?

Not up to him.

They will never hand him a blank check and turn him loose, not today with this management, in this market.

S.E.A.

I think that would be an awesome simulator that could trump Mission Space.

Yeah, the possibilities are numerous. The way they can handle the story is that they have turned Pandora into this tourist paradise where guests from earth would come to this old converted Military base that's dressed up with flowers and fruits and offerings and then it basically becomes like a Sea Base Alpha but for the various environments of Pandora.

Of course the only way we as guests can actually explore the world of Pandora on our own is through virtual reality, this is because of the air in the planet that's poisonous. This is done through the Avatar program, which would sort of be the main attraction of the land and contain what's basically an online multi-player role playing game on a grand scale.

Other guests could experience the "Hallelujah Mountain Tours" - Where guests board a converted military helicopter and take flight around the planet's famed floating mountains. It will be a next generation simulator ride using a wrap around imax screen around an open door chopper.

They could also use the JTTCOTE ride technology for "Pandora Night Trek" A jeep ride through Pandora at night, when the world comes alive in bright fluorescent colors.

Lee

Adventurer
Fantasyland Expansion is rumored to have a budget of roughly 300 Million Dollars. Lee or one of the other Florida insiders can correct me if I'm wrong on that one, please.
Pretty much right.

The Fantasyland budget has been varied between $300 and $500 million with the inclusion the Snow White coaster. No hard numbers have been released.
It still hasn't hit $400mil. The 7DMR budget is just reallocated from the M&Gs and Pixie Hollow.

And so far we've seen everything from $200 to $800 thrown around for the new Avatar land.

Let's assume $500 is close to the truth for both new expansions.
A fair assesment...
$200m Universal = $350m-$400m Disney
Sadly, true.

octoberbarry

so will you be able to type in your age to simulator to affect the types of experiences you can have while wandering there? Remember that very sexy scene by the tree when they became a couple? Everyone HAS been saying there'll be ride technologies never before experienced...:lol::rolleyes:

ADP2

I think the budget for this project is vastly related to where they are going to put this new land inside DAK. I've seen anywhere from 400 to 600 million mentioned. If this land is placed in the cleared area north of Asia that means new infrastructure will need to be built leaving less money for attractions and new buildings. If the new land is going to take over Camp Minnie Mickey the existing infrastructure can be used which means most of the 400 to 600 million can be used for attractions and new buildings. Where they place Avatar Land will make a huge difference in how expansive and immersive it will be.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It won't be near Dinoland. Check out this image for a look at the two available spaces. http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions...AVATAR-land-likely-construction-locations.htm
Do you have any leads on where this will go? While building over Camp Minnie and Mickey is not beyond the realm of possibilities, I just can fathom why they would. We might hate character meet n greets but guests demand them and their current location is well suited for them. About the only plus I could think of to building over the camp is the opportunity to build a bigger and better theater for FotLK but that would need to be done well before any demolition was started.

Prototype82

Let's hope the font for all of the signage isn't Papyrus. Disney made that awful mistake in the prologue of Prince of Persia. :hurl: You think they'd have better graphic designers...

NMBC1993

this news actually caught me off guard since I read it on a news site before this one. I'm personally split down the middle with this one. When I heard about this yesterday I thought "Oh cool, they're going to make Beastly Kingdom and make Avatar the main attraction". Insread they're just making an entire land. Now for most that's great, for me I thought the movie was average, my big problem is that it really was just Dances with Wolves in space and it seemed to be all about the visuals. If I spend 15 years making a film the first thing I would do is make sure the script is mind blowing, for ex. Unobtainium? If your going to be that lazy why not call it Icantgetthat. Now I only saw the film on blu ray but to me if I can only experience a film by seeing it in IMAX 3D, then it must not be that amazing of a film. So in the end I'd be happier with just one huge Avatar attraction surrounded by other fantasy based animal attractions rather than a whole land. I mean, it juat seems Universal got more with HP as far as amount of material they can use for attractions, dining, and shopping vs Avatar which is just blue cat people in space.

Pioneer Hall

Do you have any leads on where this will go? While building over Camp Minnie and Mickey is not beyond the realm of possibilities, I just can fathom why they would. We might hate character meet n greets but guests demand them and their current location is well suited for them. About the only plus I could think of to building over the camp is the opportunity to build a bigger and better theater for FotLK but that would need to be done well before any demolition was started.

Staggs was very cryptic about this in his answers. I understand the idea if they get rid of Camp Minnie-Mickey, however I hope that they use new space instead. I would rather see the park really expanded as opposed to just replacing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom