AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

stitchcastle

I disagree with that because context makes a difference. The core of Wall-E takes place in what we know of as Space (stars, ships, planets, etc). The "Space" that Avatar is in, is a made up land with lush landscapes that could mimic some places on Earth. If Wall-E was a different movie that took place in the Rainforest then I would believe that it could have its place in the park possibly...although I think it would be a harder fit that the project at hand.

Then how are you going to get the message across that it's an alien planet if you're just gonna mimic some places on earth?

RSoxNo1

What are you talking about? There was no Matrix trilogy. There was just the one movie.

:lookaroun

Just like Mighty Ducks.

Once the novelty wears off, AK'd be back at square one. didn't attendance "explode" when Everest opened?

Animal Kingdom's attendance has more than held since Everest opened, it has increased every year since 2003

oF44C.jpg

Brilliant.

This should also put the nail in the coffin for any and all Beastly Kingdom discussions.

Pioneer Hall

But isn't that what you are doing too, arguing with people who disagree with you? And this is ok, we don't have to agree about anything and express our opposing views, that is the point of a discussion. The worst thing we can do is express our view then tell someone else they should not express theirs.

Now, since conservation is a THEME which should be included in AK, then does Wall-E fit?

I don't think I am...my point is more about continuously arguing about something that is truly up for debate. I even said that Stitch's point is fine if they don't believe conservation is a theme, but a number of people disagree with that assessment. It's one thing to argue with something that has no basis. But when you can make a point for something one way or the other, then why does your opinion hold more water? I can see the side of the argument about it not being a theme, and I disagree. Notice that I never said that you can't think that and Conservation is a theme. Wording makes a big difference.

Thrill

when did I say that I understand it better than anyone? It's simple logic, it's a movie about aliens, why would it fit in a park about animals?

Aliens are animals too.

Now, since conservation is a THEME which should be included in AK, then does Wall-E fit?

No. Wall-E lacks much that is organic, unlike Avatar, where it's a world full of life.

How about unicorns? Those were a part of the original plans of Beastly Kingdom. Clearly fiction, however.

I think what he's saying is that unicorns are closer to culture than Pandora's creatures are, which is true.

2gether

Huh?

...and the people who have seen it have admitted that they disliked or are indifferent to the film. I think that speaks VOLUMES.

What happens when the sequal bombs in the box office? Is Disney going to scramble to find the next new fad franchise to shoehorn into AK or will they force through with it?

I could not possibly disagree with you more.

Money doesn't lie. Avatar made 36% as much as ALL THE HARRY POTTER MOVIES COMBINED. And there were 7 of them, ALL of which rank in the top 50 grossing movies of all time. Maybe we Disney World fanatics were not hugely impressed, but the world as a whole (and the US in particular) loved this film. It was entirely immersive.

I actually think people soured a bit after it came to dvd as it is just not as impressive at home as it was in the theater. But it was an absolutely compelling movie...and there will be two more before this land opens at DAK. Cameron would have to work really hard to screw it up...and he won't.

To me, the questions about whether it fits into DAK are valid. I for one think it is a great fit, but to each their own. To think this isn't an enormous coup for Disney, however, is highly misguided and speaks to people's overall negativity, rather than their desire for a better WDW.

As for me, it is the only non-Disney movie I have seen in the movie theater more than twice since the end of the Star Wars series. Can't wait to see what the imagineers do with it.

Did Knee

It's hardly debateable if its a "theme" within the context of a "theme" park. By saying that conservation is all you need to be in line with The Animal Kingdom park, then Wall-E would be a good fit for the park as well.

You keep looking at this as black and white: That a particular theme either fits or doesn't fit. It is more like shades of grey isn't it? Wall-E certainly has a strong environmental theme to it, but because most of the action takes place on a spaceship, I would be more attuned to placing an attraction based on it in Tomorrowland. On a scale of 1 to 10 making Wall-E fit Animal kingdom, I would give it a 4. Avatar on the other hand has an equally strong environmental theme, but takes place in forests, mountains, plains and jungles and presents us with a huge number of creatures, admittedly imaginary. I give it a 1 to 10 score of about 7 for that reason as far as being a good fit. But I couldn't see any other park at WDW that it would fit better in. It isn't a perfect fit on my 1 to 10 scale, but I don't see that the fit is horrendous, and it would not fit as well in any other park.

Pioneer Hall

But isn't that what you are doing too, arguing with people who disagree with you? And this is ok, we don't have to agree about anything and express our opposing views, that is the point of a discussion. The worst thing we can do is express our view then tell someone else they should not express theirs.

I don't think I am...my point is more about continuously arguing about something that is truly up for debate. I even said that Stitch's point is fine if they don't believe conservation is a theme, but a number of people disagree with that assessment. It's one thing to argue with something that has no basis. But when you can make a point for something one way or the other, then why does your opinion hold more water? I can see the side of the argument about it not being a theme, and I disagree. Notice that I never said that you can't think that and Conservation is a theme. Wording makes a big difference.

I made my statement about Wall-E in a previous post.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
WOW!! So much to discuss from one announcement.

First, let's get a few things out of the way.

Someone a few pages ago said that WE (here) are Disney's core audience. Sorry, but sadly, you are wrong. We are not Disney's core audience, we are their tiny core fanbase, BIG difference.

For those who haven't seen Avatar, what do you base your opinion on?

Also, yes Avatar is a MASSIVE success on many levels and no, just because a few people here didn't like it doesn't make it a flop.

But most importantly, Avatar fits better in Epcot? ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?

That's the worst place for Avatar to go. Epcot is based on reality, and actual technology of the future, or actual worldwide places.

Avatar fits into Animal Kingdom. Why? Because while it is set on an alien planet, it really is about humans and nature, and that's the important story we can take with us.

Let's examine the name of "Animal Kingdom" and compare it to a few other Disney parks themes.

Everyone loves "Tokyo DisneySea", however Aladdin, the Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones, Journey to the Center of the Earth are all popular attractions and have NOTHING TO DO WITH the Sea directly. Yet no one complains about it.

Disney's Hollywood Studios (Formerly MGM Studios) has Rock'N'Roller Coaster. Was that MGM based? no, Star Wars? no, Indiana Jones? no, those were paramount.

So before we go crazy looking for another place to put this land, lets be honest, it fits into AK better than any other park in Florida, ok?

menamechris

I think what he's saying is that unicorns are closer to culture than Pandora's creatures are, which is true.

Only because of My Little Pony. Let's be honest. And Disney knew it would play into little girls.

I am personally proud that Disney is taking a very adult theme here and running with it. AK needed something - and this could end up being one of the most amazing experiences we have seen in a theme park. There is insane potential.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom