A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes: A March 2011 Disney Wedding/Honeymoon Trip Report

It’s official! Brett and I are finally married and I couldn’t be more excited. We had the most perfect wedding day ever, at our most favorite place in the whole entire world. And of course, as expected, it went by all too quickly. I’m not going to lie, coming down off the high that was our Disney wedding/cruise/honeymoon has been tough. In fact, I'm hoping that writing up/posting this trip report will help me work through some of that. However, I’ve spent much of my spare time in the last few weeks staring at a blank word document... writer’s block? Never heard of it! :lol:

For the first time ever, in all my trip report writing, I did a pre-trip report. It lays out most of the wedding-related details, but for those of you out there who are like me and rarely read pre-trip reports, here’s a quick rundown of events:

Wednesday, March 16, 2011: Drive down, check in offsite for the night
Thursday, March 17, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Polynesian Resort
Friday, March 18, 2011: Wedding Day, Sunset Pointe
Sunday, March 20, 2011: Board Disney Dream for a 4 night Bahamas cruise
Thursday, March 24, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Sunday, March 27, 2011: Check out and head home

We kind of saw this trip as having three legs: Wedding/Cruise/Disney!

A look back at our Disney trip reports: September 2008 (Contemporary), December 2008 (Old Key West), January 2009 (Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Marathon), July 2009 (Wilderness Lodge Villas/Animal Kingdom Lodge), December 2009 (Beach Club Villas), March 2010 (Pop Century & Princess Half), June 2010 (Coronado Springs), August 2010 (Polynesian & Engagement), December 2010 (Kidani Village)

This was our first time on DCL, however, we’ve cruised a handful of times before. So if anyone is interested, those trip reports can be found here: May 2009 (Carnival Liberty), December 2009 (Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas), May 2010 (Emerald Princess), June 2010 (Norwegian Sky)

Oh dear. I feel like I’m embarking on what will be the longest trip report EVER (and I’ve written some long ones). My apologies in advance, as it will likely take awhile to get this report up in its entirety. The good news though, is that I’ve completed the text all the way up through the wedding, so we’ll get to that part fairly quickly!

With all that said, let the memories begin...

IMG_3834.jpg

tiaragirl

Things that make me happy about this trip report that I have not yet mentioned:
1) Your constant references to "everyone's favvvvvourite party animal!": cutest, and I adore how crazy Pluto can get in meet and greets, it reminds me of our last family trip in 2009!
2) Pictures of random things I haven't noticed: example - Jafar rocks, hippo butts, and crazy pretty details on all sorts of things
3) The fact that even after it's over, it won't be over, because you somehow have TWO more TRs to deliver after it? You'll be keeping me in TR heaven until our trip at the end of August (which is coming up raaaaather quickly, I must say).

Thanks grrrrrl.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Loving the review. I am really looking forward to the Victoria and Albert part. I did not know Flying Fish did a "Chef's Table"...we'll have to look into that. After trying the one on Carnival, my husband's interest in Chef's Tables is peaked!

I hope you post the cruise portion on Cruise Critic...I know people would love to read it there too! Thanks for the lovely and detailed review!

Pam

Thanks, Pam. We've never had a Chef's Table experience before, but after indulging in the wine pairing at Vicky's, I just know we have to splurge on this, as well. Here's a shot of the table at Flying Fish... it's practically in the lobby of the restaurant:

IMG_3799.jpg

I'm still going to post the cruise portion over on Cruise Critic, promise! I'm going to have to find the time to break it up differently to account for the six image per post limit vs. the ten image limit over here. I'm actually very curious to see how long it takes me to post it all in one fell swoop!

Okay, I'm very impressed how fast you got off the Dream and arrived at the Wilderness Lodge AND hit a theme park. I mean, wow girl!

I was super impressed with this, as well. It was, like, a whole extra day at the World! And we all love that!

*sigh* You pictures make me want to stay at the WL again. We were going to book it for this December (yay!) but opted for Riverside instead (couldn't swing the deluxe this time around.) The shot you have of the walkway heading down to Roaring Fork brought back soooooo many memories for me. Our room was down the hallway that was right off the lobby, near the Mercantile. I loved walking across and heading down and around the bend to grab food. Hold up...Mickey waffles with maple butter and candied pecans? Bananas foster waffles?! Oh man...I need to go back and check that out! :slurp: And that picture of Brett with the fork? Hi-larious! While still on the subject of the WL I totally agree with you about the hot tub there, especially at night. The view of the lodge is exquisite and it's so relaxing. I also like how it's tucked in the corner and sits a little higher than the pool deck. I'd give anything to be there right now!

What are your dates in December, Erin?! The Wilderness Lodge really is amazing, but Riverside is pretty great, too. Sure, it isn't a deluxe, but the grounds are so well maintained and green. My mom and I stayed there in April (trip report to come :lol:).

Seriously... Roaring Fork for the win! When we returned from this trip, we looked up all the quick service menus trying to find another one with truly unique breakfast items to try. Other than Tonga Toast at Captain Cooks, it seems there aren't any. :(

Yes! You are exactly right, the fact that the hot tubs sit higher than the pool deck really take it to the next level. Unlike over at AKL, where they're tucked away in a cove of trees, there's an amazing view. That view of the Lodge is so grand, yet so serene, at night. Perfection!

The character meets look like fun at Camp Minnie-Mickey. Brandon and I haven't visited that section yet, mainly because I was worried about the character queues being *way* long. But we have checked out FOTLK and we can't wait to see it again!

The trick with Camp Minnie Mickey is to catch it 15 minutes before a show is scheduled to let out. You can knock out all the characters (except maybe Mickey) pretty quickly. Once the show lets out, you're toast. :lol:

I don't even have to tell you how I feel about Flying Fish, my friend. ;) That place is simply...tops!

I can't wait to hear about Victoria & Albert's!

I can't wait to report on Victoria & Albert's!!! :slurp: :slurp: :slurp:

Ariel484

...Boooo, Will! (maybe peer pressure will work :animwink:)

Seriously! All the cool kids are doing it! :lol:

This might sound strange, but I love to watch the tumble monkeys set up and break down their bars... I was a gym rat growing up, spending 16-20 hours a week training on a gymnastics team, and that part always takes me back....

Not strange at all - I was a gymnast in another life, so I think that definitely contributes to my strange obsession with the tumbler monkeys!

Love your shots from Asia...the colors are fabulous!

Sounds like an excellent dinner from Flying Fish...I'm sure I already mentioned to you that we skip it because we're not fish people. We whined about not being fish people a lot during our trip because we know Flying Fish gets great reviews.

Thanks for the tip about the bar at Animal Kingdom! I didn't know it was there!

Cannot WAIT to read about your Victoria & Albert dinner...especially after the menu/email incident! :lol:

Spingal

Holly,

So glad you are back!!! Everyday I check to see if you have added more to this great thread! I am really enjoying it!

THANKS for taking the time to write it! :sohappy::sohappy:

Jamie

meganw1985

December 12th-17th! :D It's the same week we visited back in 2007, which was the year we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. I'm so excited...I've already put in a couple ADRs!

Just happened to notice you will be there part of the time we are! Always nice to see another wdwmagic fan! :wave:

HouCuseChickie

Love your room at WL! Looks like you were one floor above where we stayed back in Dec. Someone told me that anything above 4th floor in that section is considered woods view, but the CM at check in swore we were getting a standard view room. It was nice to pay standard but get that straight on view of woods. We also really enjoyed being able to see the MK fireworks at night. We were so happy with Roaring Fork on our trip. Great food and great service! I'm seriously thinking about a boat ride over there in August for an afternoon snack. Your dinner also looked excellent!!! Can't wait to read more!:wave:

mouseinthehouse

Holly

I've finally got up to date with your trip report & I just had to post and say what an amazing trip report you've produced! I think it's got to be one of the most original ways for preserving your treasured memories, thoughts & feelings of your special day ... and beyond! It beats a generic photo album hands down!

Looking forward to your next installment!

Holly - your report gets better with each post!! I'm having such a great time reading it...I can't begin to imagine how amazing it was living it!! I love how you sandwhiched the cruise between resort stays...because I'm sure whatever sadness you had about leaving the Dream was relieved just a bit by knowing you were heading to Wilderness Lodge! I echo spingal's sentiments...THANKS for taking the time to share your amazing wedding and disneymoon!!:sohappy:

miriamsolana

Saludos desde México!

Dear Holly,
I've been reading your trip reports for a while, the most I read, the most I feel I know you both! You are a beautiful couple!! Living in Mexico makes me difficult to go to WDW as much as I want to, but I try to go once a year for like 10 days at least. I have so much tips for my october trip thanks to you!
Also, I have never thought of taking a cruise before (I get dizzy even in a rocking chair!) but your TR and photos makes me want to take a chance!!
You are an amazing photographer!
Since my english vocabulary is limited I'm feeling a little frustrated for not expressing myself the way I'd like to! Anyway, just wanted to say Thanks! and can't wait to read more!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Things that make me happy about this trip report that I have not yet mentioned:
1) Your constant references to "everyone's favvvvvourite party animal!": cutest, and I adore how crazy Pluto can get in meet and greets, it reminds me of our last family trip in 2009!
2) Pictures of random things I haven't noticed: example - Jafar rocks, hippo butts, and crazy pretty details on all sorts of things
3) The fact that even after it's over, it won't be over, because you somehow have TWO more TRs to deliver after it? You'll be keeping me in TR heaven until our trip at the end of August (which is coming up raaaaather quickly, I must say).

Thanks grrrrrl.

1) Really, how can you not love Pluto... he's simply amazing! It's hard to pick favorites, but he's got to be one of them for me.
2) Glad to hear that I'm posting *new* pictures, as sometimes I wonder if I, myself, have already posted the exact same thing in previous reports already. :lol:
3) I can't believe this is even possible, but by the time I start on the next report, there will be a third one in the wings (July 12-15). :eek: I am a lucky duck.

Just so you know, my little heart is bursting with excitement to read your upcoming Dream report. I know it's going to be packed with your personality. I cannot wait to meet Mom and Dad, and Sister Tiaragirl!

Not strange at all - I was a gymnast in another life, so I think that definitely contributes to my strange obsession with the tumbler monkeys!

I swear, we keep getting more and more alike!

Love your shots from Asia...the colors are fabulous!

Thanks, I was really happy with my AK shots this time around!

Sounds like an excellent dinner from Flying Fish...I'm sure I already mentioned to you that we skip it because we're not fish people. We whined about not being fish people a lot during our trip because we know Flying Fish gets great reviews.

Thanks for the tip about the bar at Animal Kingdom! I didn't know it was there!

Cannot WAIT to read about your Victoria & Albert dinner...especially after the menu/email incident!

Based on what I can remember, the Flying Fish has two (or maybe three) entrees that are not fish related. They have a signature NY strip that always seems to be on the menu, sometimes a chicken dish of some sort, and I think a vegetarian dish.

I don't know if this would appeal to you, but you could always go in and if none of the entrees jump out at you, you could just get drinks, and then split an app and dessert (?).

Vicky's was amazing... although, you would've been spitting out that amuse bouche, as well - it was lobster!

December 12th-17th! It's the same week we visited back in 2007, which was the year we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. I'm so excited...I've already put in a couple ADRs!

Oh man! We're supposed to join Brett's family for their annual Christmas trip during those very same dates, but we might not be able to make it due to Brett's work schedule this year. Booooo! It looks unlikely, but if things change, I would love to meet up.

Holly,

So glad you are back!!! Everyday I check to see if you have added more to this great thread! I am really enjoying it!

THANKS for taking the time to write it!

Jamie

Thanks, Jamie! I'm trying my best to get it finished!

Congrats on the wedding! Your dress was gorgeous...where did you find it?

Thanks, SamLowel! We really did have the most magical day. I searched all over the place and in some rather large stores, but ended up finding it in a small family owned store. After awhile we started seeing the same dresses everywhere we went (with different price tags), but this one was new! Apparently it was from a new line that had just been released. I'm so happy I waited it out.

Love your room at WL! Looks like you were one floor above where we stayed back in Dec. Someone told me that anything above 4th floor in that section is considered woods view, but the CM at check in swore we were getting a standard view room. It was nice to pay standard but get that straight on view of woods. We also really enjoyed being able to see the MK fireworks at night. We were so happy with Roaring Fork on our trip. Great food and great service! I'm seriously thinking about a boat ride over there in August for an afternoon snack. Your dinner also looked excellent!!! Can't wait to read more!

I totally agree with you about it being more of a woods view, than standard. Unless, you were standing on the balcony and looking down, you really didn't notice the service area at all. I forgot to mention it, but we also saw the MK fireworks the first night. Very cool!

Roaring Fork is worth the boat ride, I'd say. :D Heck, we drove over there for breakfast one morning on our recent trip because it was so good!

Holly

I've finally got up to date with your trip report & I just had to post and say what an amazing trip report you've produced! I think it's got to be one of the most original ways for preserving your treasured memories, thoughts & feelings of your special day ... and beyond! It beats a generic photo album hands down!

Looking forward to your next installment!

Thank you so much, mouseinthehouse! I totally agree with you about it being the best way to preserve memories. In fact, I put my full reports into a word document with the pictures and print them when I'm finished. It's so cool to go back and re-read them. I do some digital scrapbooking, and it can't even compare.

sweetpee_1993

I just read the latest installment(s). Ugh! Sooooo amazing! I'm glad to hear about your debarkation and taking your own luggage off with you. That's the direction I'm leaning. Heck, ideally I'd like to take our luggage on with us but I think that'll be pretty impossible. We'll see. I'm super-excited for the WL now! Great to hear that Roaring Forks has some good stuff to offer! Yay! I haven't even looked at any menus. I suppose I should. LOL!

Dawa Bar is on my list now! I need to at least have a beer! Mmmm...beeeeeeer! Aw, wish y'all had scored a ride in the parade but the character pics were pretty sweet. I suppose I should see some of the other daytime parades so I can figure out which I like more. If only they had them before my nap time. Getting old is so hard.... LOL!

Okay. Ready to go on vacation. Well, okay, if my bags can be packed for me and I don't have to do any of that stuff. Otherwise, if vacation was tomorrow I'd be utterly paniced!

I owe you some PMs! I know! I'll get on that soon. I juuuust typed out the responses to Melanee that I owed her. Gonna get on yours. And I still owe Newfiefan an email. :animwink: I'm so behind!

plaz10

Ah thank you for making my work day go by that much quicker. Bill and I may have another trip in the works as he has a medical conference in orlando at the end of october. End of October would get 3 things off my Disney check list 1) Bill's birthday is the 30th 2) Never been at Halloween 3)Never been to F&W festival. So needless to say I'm really REALLY trying to make it happen. You're report is not helping with the wanting to go. I don't even like bananas but I want that bananas foster french toast.

On our next trip we had AK marked as a no go. We just aren't big fans of the place. But now that I've seen the Dawa Bar...the tides may be changin! Also -did they get rid of all pizza at Rainforest Cafe? I still want to try the regular one with pepperoni...the name escapes me now but I know it's a Holly and Brett regular order!

I'm loving the Disney World portion of the TR. I'm partial to it instead of the Dream because I've never been cruising....so I guess I should change that!!

And I'll have you know that I am currently finishing up the text for my TR today at work (workin' hard for the money) and I will hopefully post my first post by tonight or tomorrow. :D

disneygirl1

Oh I so want to stay at the WL one day! So here's the thing, before the cruise in April we are staying in WDW for a few days and things of rents DVC points. Right now we are debating between the BWI and WLV. BWI is our 1st choice, but if we can't get in there, we are thinking WLV. What are your thoughts on the WL Villas since you stayed there before?

Cbum

Congrats on a beautiful start to your life together-Awesome trip report!!!

I started reading your trip report only a couple of days ago and have taken the little spare time I have (three kids) to read it all. All I can say is :sohappy:!!!!!!!!!!Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sohappy: can't wait to read the rest.:D

I'm still here...hanging on your every word! :wave:

A few comments about your latest posts: love, love, love your shots of FOTLK. Of course, I don't have a DSLR (yet....want one SOOOOOOO bad!), just a point-n-shoot but my pics always come out so horrible because of the lighting and the action. I feel like I totally need to take a course in photography so I can understand the aspects of lighting and action. Thinking that should be AFTER I buy my first DSLR. Nikon D3000 is what you recommend for a newbie, huh?

After seeing/reading your info about WL, I'm leaning toward that one for our '12 trip. Trying to decide which resort to book for that trip. My two brothers and maybe my sister (none of whom are major Disney fans like I am) are going with us for the first time. I want to make sure our resort experience is extra magical! Since one item on my bucket list is to stay at every resort on property, AKL, POR, and THV are off the list of possibilities. We're thinking this might be a 2-week trip and I'm thinking that a deluxe might not be a possibility either. We might just have to make it work since WL looks so great! (Am I repeating myself? :lookaroun)

In fact, I put my full reports into a word document with the pictures and print them when I'm finished. It's so cool to go back and re-read them. I do some digital scrapbooking, and it can't even compare.

Now why in the world haven't I thought to do that before? :hammer: What a great idea!

Oh, you've totally gotten me in the mood to get started on my trip report from June 17-21! Coming very soon! :D

TakeMeThere81

OMG! Best quick service breakfast ever... they had specialty Mickey waffles. Brett ordered the Wilderness Waffles, which were served with maple butter and candied pecans, and I had the Bananas Fosters Waffles, covered in bananas and a butter rum sauce. :slurp: :slurp:

Sooooo good!

IMG_3430.jpg

Wow those waffles did look amazing!! It's crazy how one thing can be served so differently all over The World! I'm pretty sure we'll have to make a jaunt over there next time we're there. They looked so good!

My favorite part of the trail is stone-faced Jafar!

IMG_3686.jpg

Ok, I'm so lost!! Can you clue me in??

Thanks for the tip on the Dawa bar. I'm not sure why we've never really figured this one out! It is so great to know it is there. DH and I LOVE World Showcase so this would be right up our alley!!

Flying Fish! On our next trip, this will so be the signature dining experience that we choose, even if we only choose one! I remember all that you have said about it and the fact that it is on the Boardwalk, etc. Yes, we must do it.

Holly, I am absolutely loving your review, as always! Your pictures from the Dream are beautiful, and your review has me convinced that that needs to be our next cruise. The virtual porthole looks like so much fun!

And OMG, your wedding was AMAZING!!! So beautiful, the dress, the hair and makeup, the day, the pictures, everything was perfect! Did the slightly used "pixie dust" come out of the hem of your dress?

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

Disneyfalcon

Between moving across the country and the lack of good internet here and there, I can't remember what I've commented on!:lol:

Let me just sum everything up by saying I am still in love with this trip report.:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom