Massive Kissimmee hotel fire - smoke very visible from WDW property

MKCP 1985

I hope everyone got out safely. Otherwise, smoke and ash, haze in the air equals summer in Florida. If not from wildfires, something else.

I used to think it was unusual, but anymore it seems like it is an every summer occurrence.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is the view from Animal Kingdom parking lot
picture.php

goofntink

Cast members on property at All Stars and AK started reporting of hearing an explosion around 10 o'clock last night, and it sounded like it was on property .Next thing we know every deputy on property was haulin towards 192. Myself and others started in that direction and could see a smoke plume and a huge bright glow in the sky towards AK and All Stars area. Got to Osceola Pkwy and was able to see it looked like it was on 192 itself. Went down to Sherberth Rd and continued towards 192 and was amazed at what we saw.Fire was pretty huge at this point and they began to shut down 192 in both directions. Got some pics and will try to post. Saw one of the deputies we know from property and he said they believe it may have been caused by a Meth Lab in one of the rooms catch fire and exploding. Some of the residents at the place reported a large explosion coming from one of the rooms.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Could be seen clearly from I-4 on my way to work this morning. We've had so many forest fires here that we just assumed it was another one.

scottnj1966

I thought it was very interesting that it says the building was constructed in Knoxville for the Worlds Fair, then disassembled and brought here to Florida.

WDWcouple

This "motel" was actually more along the lines of an apartment complex.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-kissimmee-hotel-fire-20110626,0,1584401.story

Eight people, including two firefighters, have been hospitalized from injuries caused by the blaze at the Vacation Lodge, which essentially functioned as an apartment complex.

One resident told the Orlando Sentinel the building had a series of problems, including a broken sprinkler system, empty fire extinguishers and smoke detectors without batteries.

The fire investigation, which will likely start Tuesday, will look into the alleged problems with the sprinkler system.

Micheal White, who paid $135 a week to live in Room 1230, said he heard an explosion in Room 1305 before the fire broke out.

He said the building had electrical problems, too, including a sparking outlet in his room. The motel capped the outlet instead of fixing it, he said.

He said the motel has been in news recently after the water was shut off for 27 days for nonpayment.

I would hate to speculate, but explosions like this in low rate motel/apartment complexes are usually started by something going wrong during the cooking of homegrown crystal meth. I hope I'm wrong.

I am however glad that there are no fatalities.

MnDisneyFan

We live in the area but have not been near the hotel yet. A employee of Publix on 192 & I-drive said it took her an hour to get to work this morning.

This motel has had issues for years. They had the water shut off for a month for non payment earlier this year. Some firefighters were injured but went to Celebration Hospital and are OK.

boufa

With all due respect to those who might have lost a lot. This sounds a heck of a lot like addition through subtraction.

I just checked the website, its running really slow. I find it funny that for only $49 I can book a room for next week... 2 double beds, (still?) smoking!

Mr Wizard

I don't want to see anyone hurt or loose their belongings but if that is the place that used to be an Econo Lodge years ago, good riddance. As someone said it was like lipstick on a pig when you looked at their website. Stayed there 3 or 4 years back because it was cheap ( can't allways afford on property ). After one night we left because there were gigantic bugs in the room ( had a reservation for the whole week, they never even asked why we were leaving so soon ). It should have been condemmed back then. Places like that give a vacation town a black eye.

Olijimcha

I stayed here back in the early & mid 90's when it was the Hawaiian Maingate, interesting to see reports of how much it had deteriorated over the years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom