Tips on the Wilderness Lodge anyone?

magicwand

I am booked but would love to hear more if anyone has been to the WL before. Any tips, suggestions, or general comments please let me know. TIA:wave:

gerk77

Let me start off saying I am kind of a WL snob. We have never stayed at another Deluxe hotel but WL.This will be our 4th time there in July.We just love it. We stayed at the CB& CS before. We always like having at least one lunch at the Whispering Canyon. I enjoy the food but most of all I like the atmosphere. Its just fun. My husband likes sitting in the main lobby just taking in the surroundings. Love the fireplace, strange to say in July. In the past it was always roaring even in July. Have fun, have a great stay.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

righttrack

I have stayed at other Deluxe Resorts and let me tell you, WL is my favorite! Why? It's truly something different. I don't know what it is, about the setting, the themeing, etc. It's just so relaxed, and given how hot the weather is, it feels cool, even once you're just looking outside at the building.

Whispering Canyon is a fun restaurant, to be experienced, and best when it's crowded. Artist's Point is probably my most favorite restaurant on property. The resort itself does not feel so big and unwieldy like so many of them. The main lobby is to be appreciated and enjoyed. Admire the workmanship, and enjoy watching people walking into it for the first time, and see them look up and gasp.

There really isn't anything to complain about. Just be mindful that the boat to MK can take a little bit longer, and you share some buses with other resorts. Still, the transportation is the best there is, just note that when planning on arriving for park opening.

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

My husband likes sitting in the main lobby just taking in the surroundings. Love the fireplace, strange to say in July. In the past it was always roaring even in July.

I understand him. I love to sit down there after I return from the parks and just inhale the atmosphere for at least 10-15 minutes before going to my room, especially at night.
Absolutely magnificent and unique lobby.

Upvote 0

durangojim

If you get a woods view room on the side facing the lake, there's a good chance you'll be able to see the MK fireworks and even the castle. Some courtyard view rooms actually face the courtyard of the Villas which are more equivalent to woods view rooms. And some woods view rooms face the roof of the bus stop and the side of the villas. Also if you like geology check out the display facing the lobby on each level of the hotel. There are also some nice lounge areas scattered throughout the lobby on various levels, some with fireplaces and some that lead to balconies on the outside.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

If/when you get food from the food court Roaring Forks, eat outside, unless you enjoy the feeling of claustrophobia. Tiny dining area, enclosed, noisy, no fun. Food is fine, you'll just enjoy it more elsewhere.

Upvote 0

durangojim

If/when you get food from the food court Roaring Forks, eat outside, unless you enjoy the feeling of claustrophobia. Tiny dining area, enclosed, noisy, no fun. Food is fine, you'll just enjoy it more elsewhere.

We usually enjoy ours on the balcony, or the tables outside the entrance.

Upvote 0

wild01ride

Speaking of Roaring Forks, they were convenient and had a good selection, especially the chocolate chip or BANANAS FOSTER Mickey Waffles!!!:slurp:

We stayed there for the first time ever in May and LOVED it! (We stayed at the villas, actually.)
The place is just beautiful, the lobby was amazing, and the grounds are beyond compare for natural beauty, especially the area between the Lodge and the pool (I still can't get enough of the spring the bubbles up from the lobby, under the small bridge and outside, then to the waterfall, on past the pool, and to the geyser area!)

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

We really enjoyed watching the fireworks from our balcony- DH went down and got us some drinks and we just sat out there with our feet kicked up, drinks in hand, taking in the show.

We also really liked the boat to and from MK as well as the food and service at Roaring Forks.

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

DH and I stayed there a few years ago and we are trying to go back this December. :) Our room was down the hallway that's right off the lobby, very close to the pathway for the bus stop, as well as the Mercantile.

I really liked the selection at Roaring Forks but we never ate inside, instead we opted for the tables right outside near the pool area.

The boat transportation was so nice! I only wished I realized (when we were there) a boat went to the Contemporary. We had ADRs at Chef Mickey's one evening and it would have been easier than taking a bus from DTD. Oops. :hammer:

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Speaking of Roaring Forks, they were convenient and had a good selection, especially the chocolate chip or BANANAS FOSTER Mickey Waffles!!!:slurp:

We stayed there for the first time ever in May and LOVED it! (We stayed at the villas, actually.)
The place is just beautiful, the lobby was amazing, and the grounds are beyond compare for natural beauty, especially the area between the Lodge and the pool (I still can't get enough of the spring the bubbles up from the lobby, under the small bridge and outside, then to the waterfall, on past the pool, and to the geyser area!)

I realize my previous comment might come across harsher than I intended. I really do find much of the WL to be lovely. The size and location of the dining area of Roaring Forks are two of the few "cons" I can really think of.

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

That is something I would really like to try out!

We are staying here for a few nights in August. Do you happen to know if the tour is well publicized once you arrive, or how often they offer it?

Yes it is well publicized, CMs during check-in even told us about it automatically. In 2007 as a guest you received a "Newspaper" of the lodge that was full of informations about the entertainment, dining etc. at the lodge. The tour was mentioned in the daily program, including time and location where it started.
In 2010 I sadly recognized at the Poly that they have changed the former "Newspaper" into a simple, cheaper folder (just like the earlier and better park booklets were replaced by the flyers YEARS ago) and I am quite sure that they did the same change at all Deluxe resort. Of course in the flyer you will still find the same informations, including the tour. I believe it was called "Wonders of the Lodge" or something similar.

Upvote 0

stillgoofy

Try to see if you can be the "flag family" for the day. This has always been booked for the times we have stayed there but we still keep trying.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Roaring Forks is a Snack Bar and NOT a food court thus it's size; at least they are using both rooms now, when it first opened (and for many years afterwards) it was just the room on the left and the room on the right was an arcade just try squeezing into that small room :eek: . We usually eat breakfast or a snack there and we take it outside on the patio.

If you get a woods view ask for a room in the 020-032 hallway (the higher the better) as it faces the MK and you may be able to see the castle/fireworks.
We stayed in that hallway the year after it opened (and many times after that) and it was perfect. The trees blocked the view eventually, but those hurricanes from a few years ago topped some trees and I understand you now have a better view. Room __032 is right by an elevator (and not really noisy) that will take you down to the bottom of the ramp by the Roaring Forks and right near the laundry room.

Take the tour, just ask about it when you check in if they forget to mention it. Also ask about the Hidden Mickey Hunt (it's self guided), my kids loved to do that when they were younger. Skillet breakfast in the Whispering Canyon Cafe is a must for us (lunch and dinner are very good as well). It's nice to start or end the day with a beverage of your choice just relaxing by the huge fireplace in a jumbo rocker.

We've stayed there over 10 times now and it remains our favorite Disney hotel.

Upvote 0

Kirk88

We actually enjoyed Roaring Fork more than Whispering Canyon. By the way, if you go to Roaring Fork for breakfast and there's no line for waffles, it's not because they're not good.....THEY ARE AWESOME! Try the Bananas Foster Waffles and the Strawberry Orange ones! They make a good burger and the pulled pork flatbread is great as well. Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

Betty2480

Oh, you will absolutely love the Wilderness--we've been staying there for years and have a hard time even thinking about other resorts! It's truly fabulous, with great theming, restaurants and transportation options to the parks. One tip--the Electrical Water Pageant runs nightly on Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake and you can catch it from the hotel...it's quirky in a very Disney sort of way! We're going back in September and are looking forward to "coming home"! Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom