DisneyHistory: What's Walt Pointing At in the Partners Statue?...

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
Check it out:

http://disneybooks.blogspot.com/2011/01/this-just-in-from-jim-korkis-ever-since.html

Disney History

Interesting discoveries about Disney history, vintage Disneyana, Disney artwork, the Walt's People book series, and new books about Disney.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

This just in from Jim Korkis:

[Ever since it appeared at Disneyland in 1993 and later at the other Disney theme parks, there have been a variety of stories on unofficial Disney websites of what Walt is pointing at and saying to Mickey. Even the Disney Company has suggested that at Walt Disney World, Walt is pointing to the statue of his brother Roy ("Sharing the Magic") on Main Street. Here is what Disney sculptor Blaine Gibson told the media at the unveiling about the Partners statue in 1993:

"I thought that it was an honor to do a statue of Mickey and Walt who was, in my opinion, the real genius behind all of this. For me, it was a labor of love. Walt gave me and many others some of the happiest times of our lives, and this project was important because it wasn't just for Walt...it was about Walt. Our faces are all we really have that can tell people who we are. Many people asked me what Walt might be saying as he stood there with Mickey, and the expression I tried to capture was Walt saying to Mickey, 'Look what we've accomplished together', because truly they were very much a team through it all."

Also at the dedication, Marty Sklar who was then President of Imagineering told the press, "From now on you can get three symbols of Disneyland in one photograph. What a memory and souvenir of Disneyland that will be."]

Posted by Didier Ghez at 12:29 AM

Labels: Disneyland

Atomicmickey

Love this--thanks for pointing it out!

I'm going back to the World in two weeks, and one thing I've got my sights set on is a miniature version of the Partners Statue.

It's gotta be good, not cheesy. I've seen a few that have the pose, but miss the expression . . . .

Anyone have any recommendation as to best place to look?
I'm thinking Main Street . . .

C&D

I always thought Walt was pointing out to Mickey about what was created.

Something like that: (talking/showing Mickey), 'see what we did'. And Walt's smile saying, 'it is good, it is very good'.

I also have a poster that shows Mickey leading Walt (by the hand) with Mickey pointing. To me this says that (after Walt's death), Mickey/Roy fulfilled the dream that Walt always envisioned. (that poster almost brings a tear to my eye)

MoUsE_DrOpPings

Love this--thanks for pointing it out!

I'm going back to the World in two weeks, and one thing I've got my sights set on is a miniature version of the Partners Statue.

It's gotta be good, not cheesy. I've seen a few that have the pose, but miss the expression . . . .

Anyone have any recommendation as to best place to look?
I'm thinking Main Street . . .
Art of Disney in DD.

Atomicmickey

Thanks! I'll check it out . . . . I'll be in DTD two weeks from Saturday, woot!

Though, I looked this up online, and I think this is what they have, and what I didn't like, because Walt looks like Dracula/The Joker in the sculpt. *sigh*

http://www.disneystore.com/partners-walt-disney-and-mickey-mouse-statue/mp/1258254/1000276/

Jimmy Thick

Walt was a freemason, so Iam sure there is some kind of masonic ritual behind it, something sinister.

Jimmy Thick- And as we wind on down the road...

Walt Disney1955

You know, I always thought he might have just been waving to a crowd originally. I guess I'm probably wrong on that but now that I look at it I can definitely see it being a point in the way a father would do this

Phonedave

Walt was a freemason, so Iam sure there is some kind of masonic ritual behind it, something sinister.

No he was not.

He was DeMolay, which is the youth group sponsored by the Masons, but he never made it into Freemasonary itself.

-dave

Mammymouse

You know, I always thought he might have just been waving to a crowd originally. I guess I'm probably wrong on that but now that I look at it I can definitely see it being a point in the way a father would do this

I thought it was a wave like you Big Phil, too. My grandfather used to wave like that with his two fingers, so that was my point of reference for it. Wave or point doesn't make a big difference to me though - it is a very exceptional statue, capturing much emotion in delivering a message that Walt loved bringing joy to the World.

T-1MILLION

He is reminding Mickey and everyone else about the Disney point and how if one fails to do it, they will be very cleverly assassinated in an 'accident.'

ChrisFL

Premium Member

You know there's a conspiracy...it's not just Masons...haven't you ever wondered about the name Illuminations?

Illuminati....on...s

:lookaroun

rct247

I like the way my tour guide put it on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. She said something like this...

[Walt and Mickey looking toward Main Street]
Walt to Mickey (on his death): "Look at all we've accomplished. We've done well, but where I am going, you can't come with pal. [Walt raises arm and points] But if you walk down Main Street you'll find a bench with a spot waiting for you. (Referring to Roy & Minnie statue)

So as the story she told went. Mickey was Walt Disney and Minnie was Roy Disney. Both made the dream a reality: Walt with the dream and Roy with the business side of things. When Walt passed away, it obviously meant he wouldn't be around us anymore, but Mickey wouldn't die with him. So at the other end of Main Street there is that one spot left on the bench with Roy and Minnie just waiting for Mickey to join. As long as Mickey is around, so will Walt Disney. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom