Hurricane at Disney World video

Raychul

Original Poster
Hey guys. :wave:

I once saw a video posted here (and yeah I have tried the search function and can't find it again) of a nasty downpour and I believe a hurricane hitting Disney World yet the parade still went on. The video was shot on Main Street and the rain was so heavy you could barely see what was going on. Even though it looked like the parade was ending and making that last right turn to backstage, all the actors and dancers were still in character and well, it was all very impressive.

Does anyone know were I can find that video?

Thanks!

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Call me a sap, but that actually brought a tear to my eye. Seeing the performers, bravely pressing on, and in the case of one of the Tweedles, actually turning the puddle into a comic bit was awesome. Even moreso, hearing the extra loud applause and cheers from the audience as the cast made that last turn, showing their appreciation for what I assume had to be a generally unpleasant performance.

The show must go on, indeed!

Question, though...doesn't all that rain make the furrier characters, a bit...smellier? How do they "dry off"? I know any plush I've ever owned that was left out in the rain was pretty much ruined. (I really can't think of a delicate way to ask this question.)

Raychul

Original Poster
Question, though...doesn't all that rain make the furrier characters, a bit...smellier? How do they "dry off"? I know any plush I've ever owned that was left out in the rain was pretty much ruined. (I really can't think of a delicate way to ask this question.)

I thought the same thing, but then figured Disney would have massive steam machines that could dry those costumes up before they even get a chance to dry with all the rain water on them.

Disneygal1

WOW! The show must go on! Those are some pretty cool videos. It's crazy how WDW will still stay open, but with such high winds will the Monorail still run?

OliveMcFly

Hey Raychul, I recognize you from Broke My Controller. My bf Joe is part of the site as well.

I used to perform in the DDCT parade from the video, I miss it. I've done parades where it started pouring rain in the middle of show and we had no choice but to continue. It's definitely a struggle especially with winds. I couldn't imagine doing it in a hurricane. As far as drying, it's like any normal laundry room just larger. They go in the washer and then the dryer. You can imagine how heavy they get when they're soaked.

The first video posted was interesting. I love when the cameraman asks the security guard at the pool if these people have any idea what's coming for them. Just his face says it all, that was great.

GeoDonJac34

I always wondered what is was like to be there during a hurricane. We always go in October, and feel a little nervous. The most we had was a few short downpours. I think we were grazed by Tammy a few years back, but no big deal. Does anyone know which hurricanes hit Disney the hardest?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That video should be mandatory viewing for those that claim that WDW's current cast does not care about the show and quality.

Atta83

Actually that parade you were looking for was during the "Tropical Fay" storm. I was there and will never forget that day.

Neverland

I was there too! On Main Street! It was completely dry, the parade stepped off, the first float came out of the gate, and then BOOM! Torrential rain out of NOWHERE! And of course, they had already started, so they had to run nearly the entire thing from start to finish. It was the most entertaining parade I've ever seen at WDW.

loveofamouse

From what I was told by a CM, the rain started right after the parade started. The first few floats had to finish the parade route. The middle floats were backtracked through main street. The end floats never came out. Of course the characters had to stay in character but many were taken into side exits off the parade route. There are more videos for the same day. By the end of the retraction, most of the suited characters were gone but the poor CMs ON the floats had to ride it out.

a2grafix

The parade video clip on You Tube is misleading. Fay in August 2008 wasn't a hurricane. She was a tropical storm throughout her very long visit. I should know. Except for two days (arrival, departure), I had a very-long date with TS Fay.

And I will never forget it.

184faycinderella.JPG

Oddysey

I completely forgot about Tropical Storm Fay because it really didn't have much impact on Florida. It just dropped alot of water and that was about it. Nontheless, that video is very impressive, and the cast members did a fantastic job.

The parks are not open during a hurricane for obvious reasons. Two days after Hurricane Charley we had no power at the house so I went to the parks. I was amazed to see damage to the monorail track at Epcot, and all of the trees that were either uprooted or leaning severly. To this day you can still a few of the leaning trees throughout the property (outside the parks), but most are long gone.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I completely forgot about Tropical Storm Fay because it really didn't have much impact on Florida. It just dropped alot of water and that was about it. Nontheless, that video is very impressive, and the cast members did a fantastic job.

The parks are not open during a hurricane for obvious reasons. Two days after Hurricane Charley we had no power at the house so I went to the parks. I was amazed to see damage to the monorail track at Epcot, and all of the trees that were either uprooted or leaning severly. To this day you can still a few of the leaning trees throughout the property (outside the parks), but most are long gone.
I beg to differ.:D

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/blog.php?b=309

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom