Dining Discounts now in times guide

71jason

Original Poster
This week's EPCOT time schedule has a second, detachable page good for 30% of a quick-service meal before noon or between 3 and 4:30 (same as the online discount a couple weeks ago). It lists restaurants in all four parks, so I assume they are all doing it.

I don't really think of this as "Wal-Marting," just a smart motivator when the parks are slammed. Wanted to give everyone crazy enough to visit in the next 2 weeks a heads-up to look for it.

Pioneer Hall

I really have no problem with this program either. If it is crowded enough that Disney needs to do something that would entice people to eat at off times, then so be it. I also think that it will drive business up a little bit as well...people who might have only had a snack to get them through the day might be willing to spend a bit more for a meal since they are getting the discount.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This week's EPCOT time schedule has a second, detachable page good for 30% of a quick-service meal before noon or between 3 and 4:30 (same as the online discount a couple weeks ago). It lists restaurants in all four parks, so I assume they are all doing it.

I don't really think of this as "Wal-Marting," just a smart motivator when the parks are slammed. Wanted to give everyone crazy enough to visit in the next 2 weeks a heads-up to look for it.

Yep here is a look at a scan of it, plus all the details.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Resorts/Wal...ce-dining-now-available-at-off-peak-times.htm

JimboJones123

It drives me nuts trying to find morning food in the parks.

Breakfast almost doesn't exist in most parks. Sunshine seasons is the most varied non-TS stop. Beyond that, it is mainly bakery goods.

When trying to get 4 out the door by 7 for 8 am opens, a 6am breakfast has worn out by 9:30, and I am ready for lunch. Many places don't even open for lunch until 10:30, or even 11.

Andrew54

Thi is probably more targeted at residents who would normally not visit the parks during these times. People traveling for vacation were already planning on paying the full prices.

dreamfinder

Thi is probably more targeted at residents who would normally not visit the parks during these times. People traveling for vacation were already planning on paying the full prices.

I think it is for the tourists. Most locals won't go to the parks now (or so I hear) due to the crowds. They are just trying to spread out the meal time rush. Brilliant on their part.

COProgressFan

Has someone referred to these discounts as "Wal-Marting"? I don't see how they possibly could be viewed as such.

I don't think anyone has used that term, but it might be considered somewhat tacky to have a huge ad right in the middle of the times guide offering discount food.

But clearly the goal is to get people into dining locations during more off-peak hours. And given the intensity of the crowds until the end of the year, there just is not enough capacity to serve everyone. Even with extra locations being open (Tomorrowland Terrace, Pirate y Perico, Diamond Horseshoe, etc.)

Just a question, anyone know how they "cut-off" the discounts at a certain time? If I get in line to order at 4:25 and my order doesn't get entered until 4:31 I'd be pretty annoyed, especially if the person in front of me got the discount, or I chose the slower line (which I always seem to do... :p

COProgressFan

Breakfast almost doesn't exist in most parks. Sunshine seasons is the most varied non-TS stop. Beyond that, it is mainly bakery goods.

When trying to get 4 out the door by 7 for 8 am opens, a 6am breakfast has worn out by 9:30, and I am ready for lunch. Many places don't even open for lunch until 10:30, or even 11.

I completely agree with this, and it is especially bad at the MK. There are no hot food quick service breakfast options at all, other than a few items at the bakery. I walked into Cosmic Rays once thinking they were open, and a manager came over and told me to go the bakery on main street or the lunching pad. He didn't mention that the bakery had a line out the door onto main street or that the lunching pad's breakfast menu consisted of four muffins wedged into the bottom of the hot pretzel case. Not very appealing.

And does anyone remember when Tony's was open for breakfast!? Even for sit down, the only option is Crystal Palace, for which one generally needs a reservation. It's a shame because Disneyland has several hot breakfast options.

I'm sure management thinks that they don't make enough $$ to justify opening these locations, but I think if there were more options, people would go to them. They may not rake in the cash, but it would provide more options for guests (remember us?! :wave:)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don't look at this as a problem discount. This is a smart way to discount. As long as this is just used at the busiest of times in the parks. 30% is a pretty large discount, but if it is just for 2 hours a day during peak times, it should not have a negative effect on food quality the way the DDP did.

brkgnews

Has someone referred to these discounts as "Wal-Marting"? I don't see how they possibly could be viewed as such.
As others have said, this is very smart discounting... does anyone remember "surprise fastpasses"? Back in the stone age days (you know, before Soarin' :lookaroun), if you ran right over to Mission: Space or Test Track and got a fastpass right at rope drop, you also got a "Surprise Fastpass" to see the "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience" show that started at 9:45. So, you had to run like hell to get there, all the time failing to realize that it was a clever ploy to get you to the other side of the park right at opening to ease congestion in left-hand side.

JWG

I think this compliments the 20% of merchandise coupons that have been printing from the CS locations this month. Getting people to shop during the early hours (9-12) and spend money was clever also. We took advantage of that on our non-park day to shop and buy prior to noon, then visited Santa at noon in DTD.

These are just great opportunities to offer an incentive to the guest while trying to also balance guest flow for the parks.

They are so smart... S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T...

fosse76

It's not Disney's problem that you CHOOSE to get up so early and eat breakfast so early that you need to eat lunch before lunchtime. Standard lunchtimes begin at 11:00am, and it's not like you don't know that. Pack a little snack for mid-morning to tide you over until 11:00am.

COProgressFan

It's not Disney's problem that you CHOOSE to get up so early and eat breakfast so early that you need to eat lunch before lunchtime. Standard lunchtimes begin at 11:00am, and it's not like you don't know that. Pack a little snack for mid-morning to tide you over until 11:00am.

But it is Disney's fault that they CHOOSE to have to so few options for anyone who might want to eat a decent breakfast while in the park.

I understand the original poster's complaint, because for most families, the idea of getting everyone up, showering, getting ready, having breakfast and getting from the hotel to the park early requires getting up very early (and therefore eating breakfast early). I think there are lots of others in the same boat, who would benefit from more food options before 11am.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom