Soarin' Over the World Info/Update

BigThunderMatt

While this sounds cool, filming has already taken place for Soarin' over Florida. They have even filmed the scene where The Blue Angels fly over central Florida.

Doubt it. This doesn't sound the least bit exciting. Florida doesn't have nearly the varied climate/landscapes that California has, which is why the film worked so well.

Soaring over the world works as a much better theme for Epcot.

NewfieFan

Cool shirts ^^^

This sounds exciting! It's time for a new Soarin' in Epcot! And the end needs to be in Epcot! Let us fly over SSE (almost like we're about touch it) and pause in the middle of the lagoon just as the bursts from ROE go off! Now that's an ending fit for Epcot!

ntoeman

I don't foresee a change like this in the US parks happening until a Soarin' opens in one of the Asian parks, as has been rumored. Possibly something for Shanghai?

jonnyku

Lets go on many flights

I love soarin... but why cant they have multiple flights / destinations... ala star tours 2... It would be awesome to be soar over each continent. Each time you sit down you would be sent randomly on one of seven flights! Australia or Asia anyone? That would be pretty cool...

Tybee

When I heard they were bringing Soarin' to Epcot, I was thrilled. Then it was revealed that the film shown would be the very same flight over California as shown at DCA. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the logical disconnect that Disney went to the trouble and expense of installing this huge, expensive, complex attraction inside The Land, yet couldn't simultaneously arrange production of an accompanying film that would actually be suited to the locale. I know orchestrating a production of this nature is no cakewalk, but it seems like if you're going to go to the trouble of installing this massive attraction, a new, unique film is the obvious component to include.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that there is at least rumored movement on this front. Despite my griping, Soarin' is amazing and obviously plenty popular in its current form. But it could be even more amazing with a new film or alternating the California version with a new version, ala Star Tours 2.0 with its multiple "flight plans."

ttalovebug

Cool shirts ^^^

This sounds exciting! It's time for a new Soarin' in Epcot! And the end needs to be in Epcot! Let us fly over SSE (almost like we're about touch it) and pause in the middle of the lagoon just as the bursts from ROE go off! Now that's an ending fit for Epcot!

That would be awesome! Great idea.

rct247

I have a question. If Star Tours 2.0 is going to have randomized destinations, why can't Soarin' do the same?

Even if they kept the same music, I am sure there are multiple scenes that can fit the same way. Why not make randomized as well so there are more possibilities and therefore more of the world and its beauty can be shown?

EDIT: And now I just read two posts above me, which states the same thing. Oh well, I think it would still be a good idea to have it randomized.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Disney has recently produced some of those nature docs (like Earth and Oceans). Couldnt they just ask the folks out shooting some of these docs to give them some of their "B" roll footage of them flying over some of the destinations? Or at least next time DisneyNature is out filming one of these, throw the special camera required to the bottom of their helicopter or something?

I'm sure it's not exactly that simple, but it seems that it should not be overly complex to get some sweeping landscape shots required to update this ride, and potentially make multiple short films to interchange.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This goes on the "believe it when I see it pile". Talks and rumors about a new video have been around since before the first shovel of dirt was moved to build this attraction. While I would love a new video what incentive does Disney have to make one? Even with the old video Soarin is still the most popular attraction in Epcot. Personally I do not think we will see one until its popularity wains a good bit.

Fable McCloud

If I can see the attraction as it is just once, then I'll be able to say whether or not I want new film or music. I've never ridden Soarin' so I wanna give it a shot.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
This goes on the "believe it when I see it pile". Talks and rumors about a new video have been around since before the first shovel of dirt was moved to build this attraction. While I would love a new video what incentive does Disney have to make one? Even with the old video Soarin is still the most popular attraction in Epcot. Personally I do not think we will see one until its popularity wains a good bit.

I'm with you there. Soarin' remains immensely popular on a daily basis (as the tsunami of people heading to The Land pavilion every morning can attest) and as of now there's no "need" to change it.

I believe Busch Gardens Williamsburg came up with a ride along the lines of the OP, but I have no idea if it's anywhere similar to Soarin' or not....

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I agree. I can't imagine they would spend dollar 1 on updating this ride while it remains far and away the most popular attraction in Epcot. They tend to wait until it is about 5 years past the time when an attraction is dead empty (think The Living Seas and Imagination) before they even start to think about updating things.

bgraham34

I agree. I can't imagine they would spend dollar 1 on updating this ride while it remains far and away the most popular attraction in Epcot. They tend to wait until it is about 5 years past the time when an attraction is dead empty (think The Living Seas and Imagination) before they even start to think about updating things.

Very True I would certainly agree. I don't see it happening anytime soon. But that does not mean they wont film it now and take their time to update the attraction.

A new Soarin' film is promising and would be cool. What got me was a longer film. Man the wait times are stupid as it is, mid day on a light/med day is 60 minutes. When the rope drops in the morning 80% of the crowd goes straight for Soarin.

Can you imagine a longer wait time?

This might b a good time to build a this theater. Heck as long as we are spending Disney's money it shouldn't cost to much. :)

Brian_WDW74

I agree. But the article Alain Littaye posted is talking about Soarin' possibly coming to WDS in Paris. IF this happens, I can't really see them using the current film. TDA, TDO, and TDP (is that the proper term for Team Disney Paris?) could share the cost of making a new film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom