Disney Transportation new buses?

Lothian

Original Poster
Last year it was announced that Disney has ordered 10 new LFS buses from the NovaBUS plant in Plattsburgh NY, after years of buying Gillig. The buses were supposed to be built around December 2009, and now it's June and I still haven't heard anything about new buses showing up at Disney. I must admit that the new buses would be roughly similar to the older LFS bought in 2000-2002, so it must be easy to mistake them for older buses. Anyone has any news about what happened to that order, and whether the buses will be coming online soon?

Cheers! :)

Exprcoofto

Oh they are?
I'm surprised I can't find published photos anywhere... Do you have a rough idea of when they were delivered?

Cheers!

They look identical to the previous ones, just the back has been changed slightly. They have their bus number followed by "-10" on them for 2010. I saw several in April, but didn't see a big enough change that it was worth taking a picture of.

bkgrim

we just spent 15 days at the world staying at old key west and rode on new busses most of the time. On driver even commented that the bus only had a few thousand miles on it. They did not contain any driver GPS system or info system on them yet. Great looking buses

s8film40

The new buses should look similar to this NovaBUS demo:

http://paul.bateson3.fotopic.net/p60038527.html

Except for the paint scheme of course, I too wonder if there have been any changes made.

Yeah that's pretty much what they look like. You can also tell if you look at the bus number the buses have a four digit number followed by a two digit year they were put into service. So they all have 10 after the number.

From what some of my bus driver friends said they were essentially free buses as part of a settlement with NOVA due to the fire issues.

Eyorefan

We rode on a couple of new buses when we were down there the second week of June.

I would say they look like the old buses, only newer with more plastic...:)

Lothian

Original Poster
Yeah that's pretty much what they look like. You can also tell if you look at the bus number the buses have a four digit number followed by a two digit year they were put into service. So they all have 10 after the number.

So would you happen to know if they have fleet numbers 5000-10 to 5009-10, following the last Gillig at 4999?

From what some of my bus driver friends said they were essentially free buses as part of a settlement with NOVA due to the fire issues.

Did that many of the old Novas catch fire? I was only aware of one, and I'm not even sure if it was retired afterwards.

GoofyFan1

I can tell you that the busses are being made, NOVA Bus is in my back yard and it is cool seeing a bus being test driven that says Wilderness Lodge/Contemporary Resort barreling at you as you're running down the road.

Lothian

Original Poster
I can tell you that the busses are being made, NOVA Bus is in my back yard and it is cool seeing a bus being test driven that says Wilderness Lodge/Contemporary Resort barreling at you as you're running down the road.
Neat! :slurp: Was this a long time ago?

s8film40

So would you happen to know if they have fleet numbers 5000-10 to 5009-10, following the last Gillig at 4999?

Not sure, next time I see one I'll look.

Did that many of the old Novas catch fire? I was only aware of one, and I'm not even sure if it was retired afterwards.

Well, while Disney is usually on the receiving end of frivolous lawsuits, they do initiate their fair share. Disney just like any other person does, when something isn't exactly right they see dollar signs as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom