Where are the gulls?

chenzo

Original Poster
We just got back from Disney, had a great time, but I noticed something odd. Heres the deal , whenever I go out to eat at a place that food, popcorn, fries, ect. can be tossed or dropped, a place that feeding the ducks is OK, there are a 100 or so seagulls or pidgons. At Disney, 0, ZIP NADA, not a one. What do you think Disney does to keep them away? With all the kids dropping food and feeding the ducks and other birds you would think they would be everywhere. Where are they?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We just got back from Disney, had a great time, but I noticed something odd. Heres the deal , whenever I go out to eat at a place that food, popcorn, fries, ect. can be tossed or dropped, a place that feeding the ducks is OK, there are a 100 or so seagulls or pidgons. At Disney, 0, ZIP NADA, not a one. What do you think Disney does to keep them away? With all the kids dropping food and feeding the ducks and other birds you would think they would be everywhere. Where are they?
For starters, there is no such place at WDW. They strongly discourage feeding birds anywhere on property. Unfortunately, a lot of guests think it's 'cute' to feed animals with foods that aren't good for them.

As for where they are, Disney regularly invests in ways to try to deter the various birds from harassing the guests for food. I guess they may have found one that works better! :shrug:

ABigBrassBand

Just go to DAK, there are plenty of ducks wandering around. However, Disney doesn't get happy if guests start feeding them.

StageFrenzy

Real seagulls are NOT cute, they are flying rats (like pidgons to new yorkers) and people feeding seagulls is one thing that bothers me. After getting used to people some will come down and take food from your hand. Like Monty says Disney use many methods of keeping the seagulls away from the parks. One of the methods is a speaker system that guests cannot hear but drives the gulls crazy. Last year the one in frontierland was broke or turned off and there was a notable increase in birds.

There is only one place in the parks that I don't mind seagulls and that is in front of Living with the Seas and they talk.

chenzo

Original Poster
I have seen plenty of ducks and other birds, but no gulls or pigeons. I also ment places outside of Disney that alowed feeding fo the birds. I guess Disney just lets the ducks in.

Tom

Beta Return

Apparently you haven't walked around World Showcase. The last two times we were there (October and January) the World Showcase promenade was teeming with those white birds. They were circling and swooping and dropping "bombs". It was a nasty mess and very annoying.

Or, perhaps they've fixed the problem since January. If so, THANK GOD!

MissM

The seagulls are normally also a big problem in Frontierland. Ugh. I've seen them dive-bomb people to steal food from their hands. Plus, they ________ on guests. It happened to Love. Twice actually. :hurl:

Seagulls are flying rats. Nasty mean and NO ONE should be feeding them. Sometimes I dread walking through Frontierland because I don't want to deal with the damn birds everywhere.

LudwigVonDrake

People shouldn't feed ANY birds at WDW. There's the gulls, ducks and the nasty black birds at the Blizzard Beach dining area. NASTY, NASTY, NASTY!

bg0617

I completely agree with you

The seagulls are normally also a big problem in Frontierland. Ugh. I've seen them dive-bomb people to steal food from their hands. Plus, they ________ on guests. It happened to Love. Twice actually. :hurl:

Seagulls are flying rats. Nasty mean and NO ONE should be feeding them. Sometimes I dread walking through Frontierland because I don't want to deal with the damn birds everywhere.

toolsnspools

There was a ton of them in Frontierland last Feb. They stole a whole chiecken sandwich right out of a woman's hand, and it was devoured in less than 10 seconds. My kids were like :eek:.

olmec26

I think I read somewhere that Disney plays recordings of birds in distress to discourage other birds from flying near the parks. I can't for the life of me remember where I read that though.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The tables at the Flame Tree have gotten particularly bad with birds, even a toe up the jaxi wasnt enough to deter some of them, tables outside Captn Cooks were bad too.

I hear putting some sodium bicarb type product in with the bread can have some interesting results.

Figment82

The seagulls are usually at WDW on a more seasonal basis. They tend to come inland during the colder, winter months. During our cold winter here in January, there were hundreds of them in World Showcase alone. Once it warms up, most of them, not all, migrate back to the coast. If you came to WDW in the winter, you would see just as many seagulls as you do ducks, ibis, grackles, etc.

Cmdr_Crimson

Finnally I don't feel alone!..I bought a meal at casey's and wanted to watch the press event when they were starting YOMAD and I turned my head for a brief second and I hear a swoop......I turn back my Hot Dog is gone and being fought over by two of those MINE MINE MINES!!!:fork:

Tom Morrow

Hmm, I haven't thought about it but you're right, I haven't seen many seagulls around the parks lately! I know its a seasonal thing, but I don't recall seeing any throughout all of last week.

Susan Savia

Finnally I don't feel alone!..I bought a meal at casey's and wanted to watch the press event when they were starting YOMAD and I turned my head for a brief second and I hear a swoop......I turn back my Hot Dog is gone and being fought over by two of those MINE MINE MINES!!!:fork:
We saw that happen sitting on the curb waiting on the parade to start one time. Guy across the street had just sat down with hotdogs for his family and he held his in one hand and turned to his toddler in the stroller and turned back and it was gone. Those birds are fast!!!:lol:

I-4Warrior

Frontierland has always been lousy with seagulls, but the most horrifying spot to me is World Showcase on the way to Canada. I recall in the past the use of recordings of predator birds at the Electric Umbrella and Norway pavilion (the same tactic used by IKEA in their parking lots) to deter birds, but don't remember hearing the recording lately.

Mad Stitch

For starters, there is no such place at WDW. They strongly discourage feeding birds anywhere on property. Unfortunately, a lot of guests think it's 'cute' to feed animals with foods that aren't good for them.

As for where they are, Disney regularly invests in ways to try to deter the various birds from harassing the guests for food. I guess they may have found one that works better! :shrug:

Food that isn't good for the animals? Most of that food isn’t good for humans either!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom