Is the Great Movie Ride lost on today's youth?

WDWFigment

I agree it woudnt be the best choice but as you said its called the great movie ride not the what the hell is that from ride. :animwink:
And to be fair over here in england the 3rd movie got good reviews everywhere...:lol: :wave::p

And Alice in Wonderland bit could be great...Cause lets be honest. That will be seen as a great film in the future.

This is no knock at you, but from your posts it's pretty easy to tell you're probably a middle/high school aged female. Given your age, it's hardly surprising that you haven't seen or heard of many of the films in the Great Movie Ride. To imply that they're obscure, however, is a bit much. Many of these films are on the various AFI Top 100 lists, and I think it's fair to say that the AFI lists are mainstream.

Personally, I think a movie's ranking on the various AFI lists is a great barometer of whether it should be in this attraction. The AFI lists aren't pretentious lists aimed at film snobs, and accordingly, they have much mainstream appeal. I know I would love to see scenes featuring films from Kieślowski, Bergman, Fellini, and Truffaut--all truly 'great' filmmakers--but that is unreasonable given the limited appeal such an attraction would have. Similarly, I don't think the integrity of the attraction should be compromised the other direction just because today's youth, frankly, have poor taste.

Alice in Wonderland is not a classic. By most critical accounts, it's a weak film with the redeeming quality of its visuals. HSM 3 did review okay (67% on Rotten Tomatoes), but that hardly makes it a great movie. It's a popular movie for your generation. No more, no less.

glee

This is no knock at you, but from your posts it's pretty easy to tell you're probably a middle/high school aged female. Given your age, it's hardly surprising that you haven't seen or heard of many of the films in the Great Movie Ride. To imply that they're obscure, however, is a bit much. Many of these films are on the various AFI Top 100 lists, and I think it's fair to say that the AFI lists are mainstream.

Personally, I think a movie's ranking on the various AFI lists is a great barometer of whether it should be in this attraction. The AFI lists aren't pretentious lists aimed at film snobs, and accordingly, they have much mainstream appeal. I know I would love to see scenes featuring films from Kieślowski, Bergman, Fellini, and Truffaut--all truly 'great' filmmakers--but that is unreasonable given the limited appeal such an attraction would have. Similarly, I don't think the integrity of the attraction should be compromised the other direction just because today's youth, frankly, have poor taste.

Alice in Wonderland is not a classic. By most critical accounts, it's a weak film with the redeeming quality of its visuals. HSM 3 did review okay (67% on Rotten Tomatoes), but that hardly makes it a great movie. It's a popular movie for your generation. No more, no less.

No worries haha,17 years old...Im aloud to say lame things :lol: :lol: Oh god please dont think im supporting hsm! Haha i was just sayin :lol:

I meant with the alice thing is that its modern, i think it will be remembered and i think it would fit perfectly with the ride. :wave: But yeah youve got a good point I just cant think of many other "real" films that they could include! :animwink:

LoriMistress

I personally would love to see it updated with an omnimover system, this would have the benefit of allowing some additional room on some scenes, continuous loading, and getting rid of the idiotic CMs who attempt to perform a skit but simply ruin the ride.

Ouch! :eek: I'm not sure if the CMs that actually work that attraction that visit this site on a daily basis would like your comment.

Krack

There are plenty of movies that could be added, but I think it would be short sighted to even consider a film that hasn't been nominated for a Best Picture Academy Award or isn't on the Top 20 All-Time "Tickets Sold" list. And then you have to remember that each of these current show scenes represents a particular genre and era of film.

I would think the Godfather, Gone With the Wind, Goldfinger, Lawrence of Arabia, West Side Story, Rocky, American Graffiti, Titanic, Forrest Gump and the Lord of the Rings are all films that are iconic, "great" and would fit in well. But I also acknowledge, there should probably be something from the silent film era and that makes the most sense to me if you were replacing a show scene. And correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no comedies either.

And if they absolutely must remove a scene, I would think the most logical scene would be Mary Poppins because musicals are already represented with Singing In the Rain and the Busby Berkeley scene. And if they ever built the Indiana Jones Ride, I would understand if they replaced the Raiders of the Lost Ark scene (even though it is my favorite movie).

I think it's difficult to say "Aliens" should go without replacing it with another science fiction and/or horror film.

EDIT: You know, if this was the old WDW/TDO/WDI, I could make a suggestion like "They should re-think the finale and in addition to the video screens, have around 50 AAs of famous actors, in iconic roles, that aren't featured elsewhere in the ride (think Hall of Presidents) and as their scene is playing on the video screen, they could get the spotlight/focus and recite a famous line from the film. Maybe in a few instances, it could be two AAs from the same film having a short dialogue. That way the ride could be updated with some newer actors/films and not disturb the main attraction - you could sneak in (in costume/character) Tom Cruise, Eddie Murphy, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Will Smith, Johnny Depp, Jack Nicholson, Meryl Streep, Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert Redford, Burt Reynolds, etc." Of course, this would only cease to sound ridiculous if it was the 1980s (early 90s) and TDO still made an effort.

LaughingGravy

IMO, the Busby Berkeley Footlight Parade as the first scene is the snoozer. It's the first thing you see, but the least impressive.

Do a wikipedia search for the ride and about 2/3 of the page down is a listing of modifications.

Krack

IMO, the Busby Berkeley Footlight Parade as the first scene is the snoozer. It's the first thing you see, but the least impressive.

Do a wikipedia search for the ride and about 2/3 of the page down is a listing of modifications.

Hey, it wouldn't be Walt Disney World if all of the effects on the signature attraction in one of its parks was actually working as originally intended. Next thing you know, you'll be telling us all that we should expect the Yeti to move in Animal Kingdom.

Pete C

Does this ride ever have lines anymore? I think this ride is the next Horizons. These types of rides just don't connect with the modern audience...it's just not grand enough. The successful dark rides are whimsical or awe-inspiring in some way...see classics like Pirates, HM, Peter Pan, and Splash Mountain. GMR is just boring to the average person, and everyone that I have ridden it with has thought it was pretty lame. I think the entire thing needs to be re-done.

MarkTwain

There are plenty of movies that could be added, but I think it would be short sighted to even consider a film that hasn't been nominated for a Best Picture Academy Award or isn't on the Top 20 All-Time "Tickets Sold" list. And then you have to remember that each of these current show scenes represents a particular genre and era of film.

I would think the Godfather, Gone With the Wind, Goldfinger, Lawrence of Arabia, West Side Story, Rocky, American Graffiti, Titanic, Forrest Gump and the Lord of the Rings are all films that are iconic, "great" and would fit in well. But I also acknowledge, there should probably be something from the silent film era and that makes the most sense to me if you were replacing a show scene. And correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no comedies either.

And if they absolutely must remove a scene, I would think the most logical scene would be Mary Poppins because musicals are already represented with Singing In the Rain and the Busby Berkeley scene. And if they ever built the Indiana Jones Ride, I would understand if they replaced the Raiders of the Lost Ark scene (even though it is my favorite movie).

I think it's difficult to say "Aliens" should go without replacing it with another science fiction and/or horror film.

EDIT: You know, if this was the old WDW/TDO/WDI, I could make a suggestion like "They should re-think the finale and in addition to the video screens, have around 50 AAs of famous actors, in iconic roles, that aren't featured elsewhere in the ride (think Hall of Presidents) and as their scene is playing on the video screen, they could get the spotlight/focus and recite a famous line from the film. Maybe in a few instances, it could be two AAs from the same film having a short dialogue. That way the ride could be updated with some newer actors/films and not disturb the main attraction - you could sneak in (in costume/character) Tom Cruise, Eddie Murphy, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Will Smith, Johnny Depp, Jack Nicholson, Meryl Streep, Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert Redford, Burt Reynolds, etc." Of course, this would only cease to sound ridiculous if it was the 1980s (early 90s) and TDO still made an effort.

I like this idea.

Ever been to the Animated Academy in DCA at Disneyland? When you first enter, you step into this huge lobby with all of these massive screens surrounding you, each with different images from a certain Disney movie, and the score from the corresponding movie playing. I think it'd be great if the GMR finale were more like that... instead of the entire audience staring straight ahead at the same two screens, they could be immersed by being surrounded with screens, all playing scenes from different movies simultaneously. It'd be such a more awe-inspiring and impressive finale.

Or if they really wanted to go overboard, then they could have a room full of AAs of famous movie characters instead of, or addition to the screens. They could all be saying their famous lines from movies, or if that would be too chaotic, then singing the chorus of "Hooray for Hollywood." That would then tie the end of the ride back into the music of the loading area, and really, the theme of the ride.

Sorry if I'm rambling, just brainstorming here. :lol: I just agree that the finale to the ride could use a little something more.

Tinkermommy

I have never been on this ride, but we plan to do it this trip. DD is 3 and DS is 5 so we will see if they like it. I suspect they will though, and they know at least some of the movies featured. According to lebeau's trip report, his young daughter wanted to go on the ride three times!

Tinkermommy

Ok, watched the ending montage again last night and I concede you are right - there are plenty of movies that really don't deserve a place like Three Men and a Baby or Big Business. Others like Trading Places or Young Frankenstein may not be "classics" like Gone with the Wind, but are still great movies in their own right and deserve a place in the montage.

Overall a new montage would help along with sprucing up the AAs in the ride and make it more relevant. Maybe even a couple updated scenes like have been described above. Lets hope for an improvement along the lines of the HM rehab. <fingers crossed>

The issue with an omnimover system is it completely changes the dynamic of the ride. Granted we all know a hijack is coming, but its still a fun part (assuming you get CMs who know and care about what they are doing). I think most of us would rather the ride just be updated rather than completely redone.

Darn, I didn't know anything about a hijack. I need to quit reading this threads! :)

stlbobby

I agree with your sentiments, but I think the ride should focus on American films, not out of patriotism, but because the theme of the park and the attraction is definitely Hollywood.

I think there might be a spot somewhere in the park to celebrate world cinema, but not in the central attraction.

Of course having said that, the iconic American cowboy represented by Clint Eastwood was originated in a series of Italian films. The lines do get blurry.

On a different note I think there is a difference between an iconic movie and an iconic scene. For example while Titanic was a huge hit at the time, it hasn't aged well and won't be the kind of movie art houses will be bringing back for it's 50th anniversary, but the image of Leo and Kate on the bow of that ship is iconic and something people will remember for a long time. So the montage has to strike that balance between great movies and great moments.

MillerPoppins

The Great Movie Ride is one of my FAVORITE attractions at HS because I love all the old Hollywood parts of it. That's another reason HS is so special to me.

The rest of the Studios has become "Updated" to current movies. High School Musicals, a lot of the Backlot tour is gone and of course all the awesome Pixar stuff. Hollywood Studios was created to focus on Hollywood's Golden Era and that is exactly what The Great Movie Ride shows.

Update the final montage scene as they do every so often and to see the added AA's would be stellar. But I would be heartbroken if they changed the whole ride.

ttalovebug

Ok but put it this way, not every movie in the montage at the end is necessarily great. And by no means am I a fan of HSM, but still I thought it was about iconic movies of the past and present. As much as we hate to admit it, HSM is an iconic movie for this generation for kids. Chicago wasn't exactly a great movie in my opinion yet it's in there.

I can really see what you're saying. I would never want HSM in the GMR, but, and don't flame me everyone, to many families it is much more than your typical Disney Channel production. If anyone here works in theater or the arts, you'll know that many children and young people became involved in the arts because of those films. In my eyes, that is a fantastic thing. I know it's widely hated here, and again, I am not condoning a decision to include it in the GMR. But it's not total crap if it's made a difference for the better in many kids' lives. I've seen it first hand. Sorry for the drift, carry on. :wave:

Krack

I can really see what you're saying. I would never want HSM in the GMR, but, and don't flame me everyone, to many families it is much more than your typical Disney Channel production. If anyone here works in theater or the arts, you'll know that many children and young people became involved in the arts because of those films. In my eyes, that is a fantastic thing. I know it's widely hated here, and again, I am not condoning a decision to include it in the GMR. But it's not total crap if it's made a difference for the better in many kids' lives. I've seen it first hand. Sorry for the drift, carry on. :wave:

You've got a ride dedicated to the "Great" movies in history. It's got 11 show scenes and an additional 120ish films in the finale montage. High School Musical doesn't belong on a list of 150 great all-time films.

Sorry. End of story.

It probably doesn't belong on a list of the top 50 "Disney" films. I like Grease 2 and The Beastmaster, but I'm not about to sit here and debate its merits for entry in the Great Movie Ride.

Little Princess

I have noticed that the scenes that actually make me want to ride are the ones featuring Mary Poppins, Alien, my favorite: the Idiana scene with the skeleton, and the Wizard of Oz. I'm sorry to dissapoint. :(

brent2124

Im only 21 so I do consider myself to be a kid still. I took my first trip to Disney before I was actually born and have been going extremly often ever since. I do enjoy the GMR and look foward to it each trip. I have always found Alien to be the least Great movie of the Great Movie Ride. If Disney wanted to attract more kids to the ride I would suggest eliminating or combining in some way the Gangster/Bank Robber section, and adding a newer family style film. The ending film could use some more balance of newer and older films.

Now an honest question. Do you really want young children to be watching Casablanca and Alien? How many kids under about 14 would enjoy Casablanca? How many kids would be scared if they watched Alien? In my opinion it is an attraction that is about classic films. It isnt meant o be a huge hit with kids. Just like adults are not intended to enjoy Honey I Shrunk The Kids Playground in any way other than to tire out their kids.

Little Princess

Why would that disappoint anyone?
They're the "newer" ones (compared to the others). I have no idea what the plane scene is depicting, as well as the bubble room place. And I have no interest in old western movies. I just dont want to admit to the fact that the ride is being threatened because youths are no longer interested or find the ride "boring", as I have heard many, many times. (I will say I am different than most my age, I can spend hours on the TTA or CoP..)

Krack

They're the "newer" ones (compared to the others). I have no idea what the plane scene is depicting, as well as the bubble room place. And I have no interest in old western movies. I just dont want to admit to the fact that the ride is being threatened because youths are no longer interested or find the ride "boring", as I have heard many, many times. (I will say I am different than most my age, I can spend hours on the TTA or CoP..)

Just a thought ... and, yes, I realize I'm an old man (almost 35, the horror!) ... if you have no idea what the "plane scene" or the "bubble room place" are depicting, did it ever occur to yourself, "Wow, I have no idea what movie that scene is from, but maybe it's a pretty good one since they only have 11 scenes and somebody felt it was good enough to include in the "Great" Movie Ride. Maybe I should ask where it's from and try and see it."?

That's my nice way of saying that the plane scene is from Casablanca and that you should watch it the next time it's on AMC or TCM (it's usually on once a month). You might like it, you might hate it - but a lot of people think it's one of the best movies of all time. For purposes of intellectual honesty, I'd describe it is "okay" - but who cares what I think? You should make your own determination. At the very least, you'll never see that scene the same way again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom