Is the Great Movie Ride lost on today's youth?

SuperSaint

Unfortunately, my last time on the ride featured a host who was extremely boring. She just didn't seem to really care and didn't put any enthusiasm into the ride at all. Add to the fact that my gf and I were tired and had to wait in a long line, we slept through half the ride.

It may need some minor updating because a lot of those movies are probably extremely unknown to today's youth. Still a great ride, though, if you know the movies.

WDWFigment

I'm just laughing to myself at some of the "classics" in the finale montage:

-Big Business
-Three Men and a Baby
-Down and Out in Beverly Hills
-Shakespeare in Love

Don't get me wrong, I love GMR and it's one of my favorite attractions. It does seem though that the finale has always been geared toward a combination of commercial hits and classics...I mean really, Big Business?

Ok but put it this way, not every movie in the montage at the end is necessarily great. And by no means am I a fan of HSM, but still I thought it was about iconic movies of the past and present. As much as we hate to admit it, HSM is an iconic movie for this generation for kids. Chicago wasn't exactly a great movie in my opinion yet it's in there.

I cringe every time I see those, among others, in the finale. While I'm not saying the threshold should be as high for the finale (perhaps just films that have left an indelible impression upon our society?), I still think the movie being good/great should be a prerequisite to being in the film. Not necessarily classics, but still high quality films. Perhaps my expectations are just too great. I know if I had to choose between dumbing down the finale or dumbing down the actual show scenes, I'd definitely choose the finale, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

I know it's Universal but is Jurassic Park in it? I don't recall seeing it but it's the type of movie I think fits the montage. I'm sure Jaws is, isn't it.

PeoplemoverTTA

I know if I had to choose between dumbing down the finale or dumbing down the actual show scenes, I'd definitely choose the finale, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

I see your point though..it shouldn't be a choice...the attraction should focus on great films...and most often, films are considered 'great' after they have stood the test of (some) time. But, yes, the precedence of commercially successful films in the finale was set from the beginning.

Although GMR is one of my favorites, I wouldn't have a problem with a re-imagining of it, a la HoP, where the focus is on truly great films, in an immersive and unique environment. Do I have something more specific for you? Nope, but HoP was recreated into a completely different, albeit just as powerful (imo) attraction. Why not do the same for GMR?

Just a thought :)

CP_alum08

Im in my 20's and GMR is one of favorites, however, it could use something. Obviously there is no question the end movie needs updating, but with what? Alot of the movies today dont have staying power to keep up with the 'greats'. I would cringe to see anything made in the last couple years in the same montage as Casablanca. Even if they kept it the same and just made it HD I'd be ok with that.

Besides that, a couple of the ride scenes could change too. Tarzan for sure. And even though Aliens is a terrific movie the scene in the ride is pretty lame. As a couple people have said this is a very touchy subject and if they redo parts everyone will have an opinion, just like any WDW refurb :shrug:

MarkTwain

I think they should replace some of the classic movie scenes... with OTHER classic movie scenes. :) Maybe something like swapping out Alien for Star Wars. Or changing Footlight Parade to something featuring Charlie Chaplin, like Modern Times, or maybe the original silent Phantom of the Opera, to fill the horror niche that Alien would leave behind. Another good one might be Tarzan for African Queen, Lawrence of Arabia, or Sunset Boulevard.

Some movies are classic, and some movies are relevant. And some movies are classic and relevant. In other words, I think it would be great if WDI switched out some of the movies for classic movies that kids today may still recognize.

WDWFigment

I think they should replace some of the classic movie scenes... with OTHER classic movie scenes. :) Maybe something like swapping out Alien for Star Wars. Or changing Footlight Parade to something featuring Charlie Chaplin, like Modern Times, or maybe the original silent Phantom of the Opera, to fill the horror niche that Alien would leave behind. Another good one might be Tarzan for African Queen, Lawrence of Arabia, or Sunset Boulevard.

Some movies are classic, and some movies are relevant. And some movies are classic and relevant. In other words, I think it would be great if WDI switched out some of the movies for classic movies that kids today may still recognize.

I hate this emoticon, but it fits... :sohappy:

CaptainJackNO

I'll start off by saying that I think it's downright insulting to suggest that the following films are "obscure":

- Singin' in the Rain
- Mary Poppins
- The Wizard of Oz
- Alien
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Casablanca
- Fantasia

If kids don't know about these films now, they'll know eventually. Far too much TV exposure, home video reissues, IMDB hits and the like to just be forgotten.

Other sections such as the Gangster and Western scenes are based on broader concepts that shouldn't be difficult to grasp. And even Tarzan while may not beginning the most widely scene version, the character himself is not forgotten or obscure.

Only Footlight Parade is arguably "lost" on most people, but that kind of or era in film musical history should be featured.

If it's not popular with youth, I blame the CMs performance or the lack of upgrades to the AAs which pale in comparison to other attractions now. Especially with the advancments made to facial expressions in animatronic figures, new ones could pull off the more "intimate" scenes like the one form Casablanca used, while still begin able to do the borader emotions of other film scenes with more fluid movements and better skins. No longer would the stiff faces fail to convey the original actors emotions (at least as much).

So I blame tech more than content.

I agree, all classics!!

UrbanDonovan

-Big Business
-Three Men and a Baby
-Shakespeare in Love

Don't get me wrong, I love GMR and it's one of my favorite attractions. It does seem though that the finale has always been geared toward a combination of commercial hits and classics...I mean really, Big Business?

Not that it matters much anymore, but Shakespeare in Love did win seven Oscars, including Best Picture. I think that would be enough to classify it as "classic." While I am a fan of SIL, there are plenty of films that I don't care for personally, but which I can still recognize as being "classics" of the medium of film. Citizen Kane comes to mind. Never could stand that movie. But, it is still a milestone in the film industry. I can't deny that.

dweezil78

As a GINORMOUS fan of the classic AA attractions, I've gotta say that I always found Great Movie Ride to be a cheesy snooze fest. It doesn't help that most of the guides these days sound completely unprepared, unenthusiastic, and don't even know half the movies they're telling guests about.

Ultimately, the GMR comes across as a slow moving ride through the Hollywood Wax Museum -- albeit with a tiny amount of movement in the characters.

If I were in charge, I'd completely re-envision the entire attraction. As much as I'm not a believer in adding thrills to every ride, I think a ride about the biggest movies of all time desperately needs some. I'd love to see a ride that's more of a hybrid of the current attraction and the Indiana Jones ride system. Something that truly feels like an adventure through the history of cinema, allowing guests to take part IN some of the most famous scenes of all time rather than just look at strange re-enactments of them featuring stiff (and sometimes creepy) AAs. There'd be both slower moments ala the current ride allowing guests to really soak in the story along with more intense action-based sections to get the adrenaline pumpin'.

And then, when it's all over, I want to take home a video of my experience!

C'mon Disney, bring it on!

joe80x86

I personally would love to see it updated with an omnimover system, this would have the benefit of allowing some additional room on some scenes, continuous loading, and getting rid of the idiotic CMs who attempt to perform a skit but simply ruin the ride.

Sketch105

I'm 29. I went to the park when it first opened in 1989, and back then I loved the GMR. Now that I've seen half the movies in it, I appreciate it even more.

Of course, in '89 it was in tip-top shape and the CMs were more excited to be a part of it. I still love when the gangster or cowboy reaches for the doubloon, but now the CMS react with such blaise. We even had a CM who just sat there staring at us when the ride broke down in the Wizard of Oz scene. I'm not sure, but I think Entertainment should run this attraction, not operations.

I have so much love for that old ride. I think it needs some rehabbing and a good sprucing up of an important system- THE AUDIO! It always seems low, crackling, and you can never tell what the guide is saying.

AlishaMisha

I am 21

I must say, I am completely baffled at why anyone would want to get rid of the Footlight Parade scene! :eek: :cry: :( :shrug:
I own it on DVD and watch it a lot and I even listen to the soundtrack and sing it all the time. I had no idea no one liked it! To me I would be greatly hurt if they got rid of it as it is the only scene that I have a major heartfelt connection with.

Honestly I am not sure if I knew the GMR movies from the ride or from experiance when I was younger. I live in Disney for a month every year for my whole life, so when you grow up on it you just don't know which came first.

glee

That's what I was saying. Making HSM featured in the ride would be like making December's issue of Playboy one of the books of the Bible.

Haha thats funny :lol:

And on the 8th day thy made hugh hefner. :D Gross :lol:

Would be awful. I still think, even though i dont know what some of the movies are it is still an enjoyable ride.:rolleyes::wave:

Master Gracey 5

-Big Business
-Three Men and a Baby
-Shakespeare in Love

Ok, watched the ending montage again last night and I concede you are right - there are plenty of movies that really don't deserve a place like Three Men and a Baby or Big Business. Others like Trading Places or Young Frankenstein may not be "classics" like Gone with the Wind, but are still great movies in their own right and deserve a place in the montage.

Overall a new montage would help along with sprucing up the AAs in the ride and make it more relevant. Maybe even a couple updated scenes like have been described above. Lets hope for an improvement along the lines of the HM rehab. <fingers crossed>

I personally would love to see it updated with an omnimover system, this would have the benefit of allowing some additional room on some scenes, continuous loading, and getting rid of the idiotic CMs who attempt to perform a skit but simply ruin the ride.

The issue with an omnimover system is it completely changes the dynamic of the ride. Granted we all know a hijack is coming, but its still a fun part (assuming you get CMs who know and care about what they are doing). I think most of us would rather the ride just be updated rather than completely redone.

mastif

I would agree with you. I would actually like to see something like that. It would also be a good idea with the recorded scripts playing. Not sure how much this matters, or if it's even correct, but at other attractions, the cm's do every role in the building, greeter, load, unload etc. If it's the same at GMR, then there may be some of the people that just aren't cut out for doing the spiel, but are great at other aspects of the attractions.

glee

Plenty of crappy movies are huge hits. Again, it's not the Commercially Successful Movie Ride, it's the Great Movie Ride. While Great is subjective, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a movie critic or scholar worth his salt who would be willing to call HSM great.

I agree it woudnt be the best choice but as you said its called the great movie ride not the what the hell is that from ride. :animwink:
And to be fair over here in england the 3rd movie got good reviews everywhere...:lol: :wave::p

And Alice in Wonderland bit could be great...Cause lets be honest. That will be seen as a great film in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom