Harveyt0206's "Is this really happening while I am at Disney" trip report

Hello Disney Friends. I have now been back from WDW for over two weeks and in all honesty I really had no inclination to do a trip report, which is not typical of me. I love trip reports. I read every single report that is posted. Not only do they allow me to live vicariously through others, but I often find great ideas and points of view that perhaps I hadn't considered before then.

So why no trip report? Well, for the first time ever I had a not so magical trip and I simply felt that my story was going to sound way too much like complaining and that no one would really be interested in indulging in that kind of a trip report. But since my return I began to realize something that I was never willing to consider before: As much as I love going to my happy place, WDW does not exist in a vacuum and sometimes real life creeps into the pixie dust and that's just the way it is. So, with that being said, I will finally get started on this trip report and what occurred.

This trip was unexpected as I was just at WDW in September with my husband. But at the beginning of November I received a pin code and thought "well, this is too good to ignore" and promptly started trying to figure out how to convince my husband that another trip was in his future. You see, I am the Disney freak in our household. Hubby truly enjoys going, but he could go once every five years and be fine. I on the other hand want to go once every other month. After thinking about it I decided that instead of going with hubby, I wanted to go on a girls only trip with my Mom. I knew that it had been 20 years since my mom's last trip to WDW so she was long overdue for a Disney experience. I called her and asked if she was interested and proceeded to wax poetic for 20 minutes about all the wonders of WDW and why she needed this trip. She was convinced! Let the planning begin.

We decided to stay at Coronado Springs and signed up for the QS meal plan. We would leave on Sunday, 2/28 and come home on Friday, 3/5. I was thrilled and super excited to have this opportunity to not only go back to WDW so soon after my last trip but to do so with my mom, who is my very best friend in the whole world. I am so blessed that she and I have such an amazing relationship.

So, Sunday 2/28 finally arrives. We flew out of Columbus, OH at 5:50 am and arrived in Orlando at 9:54. It was a perfect flight. We left on time, arrived on time and had a very brief lay-over in Atlanta.

I surprised my mom with a town car rental. We grabbed our bags and were at Coronado Springs by 10:45.

Warning: I am a horrible photographer with a horrible point and click camera, so my pictures reflect this fact.

picture.php

This is the only picture that I got of our resort.

I had completed our on-line check in several days prior to arriving so we headed inside to get our check in packet. We walked right up to the on-line check in, found out that our room was ready and we could get in immediately. Fabulous!! So we get our room number assignment and see that it is 7666. My mom and I made a few jokes about the last three digits being 666 and began walking over to our room. Now, neither one of us is terribly superstitious, but perhaps we really should have asked for a different room number considering what happened next.

We dropped our bags in our room and decided to walk back to the Pepper Market for some lunch. Our room was located on the Rachos section of the resort, which is the furthest from the main building. We didn't really mind because we both found the resort to be beautiful and enjoyed the walk around the lake. At this point, we were both giddy with excitement. Our plan was to head over to MK after lunch. It was chilly but gorgeous that day so we gobbled our food down and decided to head back to the room to get what we needed for our evening at MK.

And here is where everything went off the rails. A little background information for you: My mom is a small business owner. She owns her own flower shop/antique/gift shop. She has spent the past 30 years of her life building and working on this business. She loves it so much and is immensely proud of it. As she and I were walking out of the Pepper Market her cell phone rang. I was a few steps in front of her when I hear her say "It's on fire"?! I turn around and can see that she is shaking. She hangs up the phone and immediately calls my dad and tells him that one of her employees just called and said that her shop was on fire. I could tell she was in shock so I simply decided to get her back to the room until we could figure out what was going on. She just kept repeating over and over "it's all gone, it's all gone".

Let me tell you, that walk back to the room was the longest walk ever. We finally get back to the room only to realize that for whatever reason we didn't have a signal on either of our cell phones. I think it had something to do with the fact that the building is solid concrete and we were smack in the middle of it. So we were constantly walking outside to try and get a signal.

The next 3 hours were nothing but phone calls and tears and trying to figure out what to do. I immediately started making phone calls to see when the next flight that we could get on was leaving. In the end, my dad convinced my mom to stay and explained that there was a lot of damage but nothing that she could do about it right then because it would be days before insurance would be able to get in there and do anything.

Reluctantly my mom decided to stick it out. We decided to try and make the best of a very bad situation since everything was already paid for and my dad was at home to take care of the shop.

We did end up going to MK and only rode two rides before going back to the room. Mom's heart and mind simply weren't in to it. She has since told me that she doesn't even remember what we did that day. So back to the room we went to try and get some rest in the hopes that things would look better after a good nights sleep.

kerrie

oh Im soo sorry that happened and on the bright side im glad no one was hurt. good report even though it seems to have started with a rough patch

harveyt0206

Original Poster
Day 2: Monday 3/1

I woke up at 4:30 am, looked over at my mom and saw her laying in bed simply staring at the ceiling. I knew that this trip was slowly going down the drain and I had no clue what to do. In my heart I knew that she didn't want to disappoint me but that she really wanted to be home and dealing with her business. So I looked at her and said, "mom, I am calling the airline to see how much it will cost us to get home today". She weakly protested but then agreed. I called Airtran and explained that due to an unexpected emergency we needed to change our flights from Friday to that day and could they help us. Well, after about 15 minutes the Airtran representative advised me that he could get us on a flight that would return us to Columbus at midnight that night and would cost us a lovely $750. I hung up the phone and explained this to my mom. Not only would we have to come up with $750, we would loose most if not all of our $1700 paid for the trip. I figured that Disney might give us a portion of our remaining days back in a credit but also knew they were under absolutely no obligation to do so. Mom calls Dad and after 20 minutes of him again explaining that yes, the fire was bad and yes, the situation itself is not ideal he really thought she should stay and try to enjoy herself. He said she would have plenty of time after the trip to deal with the aftermath of the fire. So, once again, mom makes the decision to stay. She actually seemed to be in a better state of mind after that conversation with my dad. Whatever he said seemed to really help.

We decided to head over to Epcot. Our bus stop was extremely close to our room, which was wonderful. We were at Epcot by 9:30 am. Our first stop was Sunshine Seasons for breakfast. While eating breakfast I ran over to Soarin' for some fastpasses. For whatever reason I had never been on Soarin' prior to this trip, and now, I can't believe what I have been missing. I instantly fell in love with this ride and can absolutely understand what all the fuss is about. Mom loved it as well.

After riding Soarin', mom's mood seemed to be so much better and she was relaxing a bit. We then hit Living with the Land before heading back outside. It was a gorgeous day with clear blue skies and 70 degree temperatures. Nice. Here are a few pics I snapped on our way over to Spaceship Earth:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

With a trip through Spaceship Earth firmly under my belt we then headed over to Test Track and grabbed some fast passes. We only had about 45 minutes until our FP time so we opted to drop some $$ at MouseGears. I love this store. I could spend hours there. :)

We picked out some stuff and had it sent back to our resort so that we wouldn't have to carry it around and then headed back to TT for our FP time. Mom really enjoyed this ride. She loves fast rides/roller coasters, etc... Me - not so much. I'm a weenie.

By this time it was around 1:00 pm and I thought she would enjoy exploring World Showcase, so off to Canada we went. Unfortunately, every time I would get mom relaxed and into the Disney spirit, her phone would ring and she would be back to stressed and worried. I should probably note that while I was extremely disappointed that the fire happened while we were at Disney, I was in no way shape or form upset with my mom or the situation. This was simply life and I was as torn as she was about staying vs. going home. I know my report up to this point makes me sound extremely selfish so I just wanted to add this clarification. If my mom had said she couldn't stay and she wanted to go home, I would have moved heaven and earth to make that happen for her.

harveyt0206

Original Poster
Since it was lunch time we chose to hit the UK for some fish and chips. Yummy. We headed to the courtyard area and found an empty bench. Here are a few pics from that area.

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

WDWFigment

Hopefully everything will work out as well as it possibly can with the insurance. So sorry that the fire happened period, but especially during the middle of a 'happy time' at WDW. At least you tried to salvage the trip!

harveyt0206

Original Poster
We enjoyed a nice, leisurely stroll around Canada and UK after our lunch. I found this display in one of the shops in the UK. I love it when I come across something I've never seen before at Disney:

picture.php

On to France and the rest of WS:
picture.php

picture.php

You can see that Belle and the Beast are directly to the right of their topiary for a meet and greet. I was thrilled!! I love them and have been trying to get a pic with them for several years but it never seems to work out. So I run over to get in line and as soon as I do the CM holds up her hand to me and says "this line is now closed. Belle and the Beast will be back at 7:00 pm". Arrrrrrgggghhhh!! Crushed, I turned away. How do 5 year old kids deal with this? I am 38 and was having trouble dealing with my disappointment. lol

So not being any closer to actually getting my pic with Belle, I move on around WS.

picture.php

No picture with the Beast? No problem. I'll just stand next to this huge gargoyle. I think this is one of only two pics of myself from the whole trip. Now I see why. Photogenic I'm not....:lol:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I caught Voices of Liberty for the first time on this trip and all I can say is WOW. If you haven't had the opportunity to catch one of their shows I highly, highly recommend it. These ladies and gentlemen are superb.

picture.php

And here is where my pictures for the day start to taper off. At this point mom and I were simply content to enjoy our surroundings and the beautiful day. We were in WS all afternoon and well into the evening. By 8:00 she was toast. So much stress and she really was a trooper.

Here is the last pic I took before we decided to head back to the room for some much needed rest.
picture.php

Told you I was a horrible photographer. lol

So that is day 2 in a nutshell. I will finish up days 3-5 later today. Thanks for reading this far.

harveyt0206

Original Poster
oh Im soo sorry that happened and on the bright side im glad no one was hurt. good report even though it seems to have started with a rough patch

Thanks Kerrie. I couldn't agree more and over time mom came to the same realization. No one was hurt and that is what in the end is most important.

That's awful :( Best wishes to her.

Thanks Tiaragirl. :)

Wow, that's horrible. I hope everything is okay with your mom. Did you ask Disney for a refund? If you left early, maybe they would have given you a credit.

On the flip side, I am thinking of staying at the Coronado in August---did you like it? How long did the buses take?

Thanks Jpopoviz. My mom is doing much better. As for Coronado Springs, I actually ended up loving the resort. The issue with our cell phones aside, I thought the resort was lovely and relaxing. Walking around the lake was such a nice way to start and finish our day. I really wish I had taken more pictures of everything. I have no qualms about recommending this resort. As for the buses, we never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus to or from the resort. I was extremely impressed with the CS bus service.

That's terrible. I'm glad she seemed to be better,can't wait for more. I hope that the shop works out.

Thank you WDW Vacationer. Things are moving along with the shop. She is taking it day by day. :wave:

Hopefully everything will work out as well as it possibly can with the insurance. So sorry that the fire happened period, but especially during the middle of a 'happy time' at WDW. At least you tried to salvage the trip!

Thanks WDWFigment. Insurance is causing some minor hiccups, but all she can do is continue to move forward. I am sure it will all work out in the end.

Thanks for the trip report! I can't believe you have the energy to do one after all the stress you've been through. Best wishes to your mother.

harveyt0206

Original Poster
Day 3 - Tuesday 3/2

We woke up, stepped outside and realized that the weather pattern was definitely not going to be as nice as what we had on Monday. The sun was out but the high for the day was only expected to be in the mid 50's with very high winds in the 25-30 mph range. With winds that high, it made it feel even colder. No biggie, we simply bundled ourselves up and headed over to Pepper Market for some breakfast.

I have to say that I am not a huge fan of the process of ordering at Pepper Market. You are seated at a table, given a card for stamping and then allowed to choose a "station" for your meal. The food was good but it sometimes became confusing at the stations because it was hard to tell where the lines formed and more than once I inadvertently cut line. Fortunately I realized it immediately (usually because of the hostile comments from the person that I cut in front of) and could apologize and figure out where I was suppose to be. Also, they have this steadfast rule about putting a party of two at a four top. If the restaurant is busy, I can certainly understand this, but in our case there were a ton of open tables. So I was a bit surprised to be told that they couldn't put us at a four top when we asked. The only reason we didn't like the two top tables was because they were all located directly in the line of traffic while the four tops were less crowded and more comfortable. Oh well.

Once breakfast was over we caught a bus to DHS.
picture.php

Hello big ol' hat. I'm sorry that so many people hate you, but it doesn't seem to be affecting you too much.

First up, the Great Movie Ride. I fully anticipated that my mom would love this ride as she is a lover of movies from the 30's and 40's. And I was right. The great thing about someone experiencing this ride for the first time is that they don't notice some of the wear and tear that the rest of us worry about so often. To her, it was all new and enjoyable, which made it even more enjoyable for me.

After that we went to the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast Shows. I like the LM but I adore Beast. I think it is hands down the best show on property. The songs! The dancing! So perfect.

picture.php

picture.php

After B & B, we decided to have lunch at the ABC Commissary. I know, I know....and you are absolutely right. This place is 100% mediocre. We each got the hamburger with fries.

After lunch we spent a lot of time just walking around the Streets of America before heading over to One Man's Dream. I love this exhibit. I so wish I owned some of the memorabilia contained inside that building.

At this point we were both feeling like we were done with DHS. It's my least favorite park and I was ready to try MK again. So off we go.

We arrived at MK around 4:00. First stop, Space Mountain. We walked right on with no wait at all. Still fun although I didn't notice a huge difference in the ride since it's rehab. Of course, it has been 5 years since the last time I rode it.

Honestly, we had a lovely albeit cold evening at MK. The lines were short for everything. I think our longest wait was 10 minutes for Big Thunder, and I consider that to be a walk on time for that ride. I think the temperatures were keeping the crowds at bay.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

We ended our day with some hot chocolate and Wishes. All in all, this ended up being a really wonderful day. My mom and had so much fun and did a lot of laughing, which was definitely needed.

harveyt0206

Original Poster
Day 4 - Wednesday 3/3

During the night, I woke up with flu like symptoms. I half wondered if I had some food poisoning from our trip to the ABC Commissary but since my mom ate the same thing I did and was feeling fine I chalked it up to some sort of flu bug. Since I was up most of the night dealing with that we decided it was a great day to sleep in a bit. Plus, it was storming outside so it was the perfect morning for this to happen. We were now over half way through our trip and the stress that occurred earlier in the week was starting to catch up with both of us. So, I took some Pepto and went back to sleep for awhile. When I woke up at 9:00 I was feeling better but not 100%. It was still cloudy, cold and windy out so instead of going to a park we headed to DTD. We arrived there at approximately 10:30.

My first stop here is always The Art of Disney. I always see so many things that I want to take home with me, especially if it is Haunted Mansion related.

As the day wore on, the sun came out and that really helped since the wind just did not let up. My mom really wanted to have lunch at Fulton's. She is a huge seafood fan and since this was really the only thing she specifically asked to do, I wasn't going to turn her down even though I still wasn't feeling up to snuff. In the end, it was a fabulous lunch and I think getting something good to eat actually helped me feel better. Maybe too many QS meals was what lead to my brief illness. After lunch we hit World of Disney, which was packed to the gills with folks doing their Disney shopping. We then spent a another hour or so wandering around DTD and then headed back to the resort at approximately 3:30.

After resting for an hour or so I was antsy to hit a park and we decided to go back to Epcot for Illuminations. The only ride we did was Spaceship Earth. Illuminations was wonderful, as always and we had a perfect spot since the wind was blowing in the opposite direction.

Day 5 - Thursday 3/4

This was our last day and we both wanted to enjoy these final moments of our vacation. The sun was out and the winds had finally died down, so off to AK we went.

I know AK gets a lot of grief but I really love this park. I think it is beautiful and relaxing. I enjoy all the various paths and little hideaways.
picture.php

picture.php

Just hanging around, enjoying the sun....

We rode Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl, which was a blast. My mom really wanted to ride EE, but it was down. I heard a few patrons say that one of the cars got stuck in the tunnel and the riders had to walk down from the top. I think that would be interesting, but that's just me.

So with no EE available, we headed over to the Safari, which had a very short 15 minute wait.
picture.php

Watch where you're stepping there Mr. Elephant.
picture.php

Tough life lazing around in the sun all day. lol

After the Safari we headed over the Flame Tree. I had the BBQ chicken salad and it was quite good. While eating I made a new friend:
picture.php

This little guy was fearless. He constantly nudged my leg with his beak. It didn't bother me at all as I love animals. I wanted to feed him so badly but knew that if I did he probably would follow me around the park for the rest of the day. lol.... So, instead I just tried to enjoy my salad and ignore his big sad eyes.

After lunch we headed over to Camp Minnie Mickey for Festival of the Lion King. This was my first time seeing this show and I loved it. I'm not crazy about the pre-show roll playing that they encourage you to do, but I can see where the kids would love it. Great show. Again, I can't believe what I have been missing all these years.

After that it was close to 4:00 and we wanted to make it to MK so that we could catch Specto and Wishes. So off to MK we go....

harveyt0206

Original Poster
The park was scheduled to close at 8:00 so our time was very limited. It had been a few hours since our lunch and we still had two meal credits to use before leaving the next day, so we head over here...

picture.php

We placed our order and then scouted out a table in Sonny Eclipse's show room. We watched his entire show, which I think is so fun.

Afterwards, it was a quick ride on the carousel, Philharmagic and Haunted Mansion before scoping out a spot for Spectro.

Spectro is one of my all time favorite things at WDW so I was really excited to share it with mom. Fortunately, she loved it too.

picture.php

Stupid, horrible camera.
picture.php

That's a little better.....
picture.php

Hey Genie, will you grant my wish? I am hoping to come back in October for MNSSHP. Can you help me out with making that happen?
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I call this one Cinderella's "no paparazzi, please" moment.

After Wishes, it was time to head back to the room to pack.

Day 6 - Friday 3/5

Homeward bound! Our flight was scheduled to leave at 11:58 am but was delayed three hours. Plus it was oversold so they were looking for folks to give up their seats. I wish I had been in a position to do so because the free ticket sure would have come in handy for a future trip, but I knew my mom was more than ready to get home and see the damage that the fire caused.

We finally did get home at approximately 6:00 pm.

This trip taught me a lot. The main lesson I learned is that while we all hope that our vacations are perfect from beginning to end, there is no way to put life on hold while we are at the World having fun. Illness, fire, bad weather are all part of living. I realize that saying "why me" is futile and in all honesty, why not me? I am no more special than any other person at Disney spending their hard earned cash trying to capture that Disney magic. I am glad my mom and I were able to make lemonade out of our lemons and while the overall trip was far from ideal, there were definite moments of fun and happiness.

If you've made it through this entire saga, thanks for sticking with me. I appreciate the friendships I have developed through this website and especially appreciate having a place to share my Disney stories, even if they aren't always pixie dust perfect. :animwink:

HollyBelle

I really appreciate your report, especially considering the circumstances. Just two days prior to our arrival at Disney World one of my colleagues lost her home to a fire. I thought about her constantly, so I can't even imagine what it must have been like for you and your mom. I'm glad to see your mom was able to find some enjoyment and hope while you were there.

The Cinderella "no paparazzi" picture cracks me up! Thank you so much for sharing.

sweetpee_1993

When you started your trip report with "I didn't really know if I should write this report because nobody wants to hear how horrible it was" I was totally thinking how I could sympathize considering our last trip wasn't the most magical. Bad weather doesn't even begin to compare to what y'all went thru, tho. Bless your hearts! I'm glad nobody was hurt in the fire but sure do feel for your mom. And -ugh- I don't think I've ever in my entire life heard of anyone in any circumstance report that their experience with their insurance claim was a breeze and the insurance company was more than fair. It's always a fight to get a nickel even when it's clear as a bell that the loss is 100% covered. That's why I refuse to work for or represent insurance companies anymore.

I'm glad y'all had some good moments and your mom was able to find even a little enjoyment. Maybe having the time to process everything in her mind before actually having it in front of her was a good thing. Kinda like when I get a phone call that the kids did something really bad but they're in school so I have a few hours to process the :fork: feelings so I don't snap, go off the deep end, & kill them. LOL! Seriously, tho, it's cool that you had that time with your mom. Years from now you'll look back and probably have plenty of good stuff to smile about and maybe even a few yucks over the bad stuff that you didn't let ruin everything.

I agree with HollyBelle, the Cinderella paparazzi pic was great! Loved it!

In spite of everything, I still enjoyed reading your report and appreciate that you took the time and put forth the effort to share it with all of us. I didn't feel so good about our trip but after writing the report I feel a lot better. Do you? I hope so.

Big ol' hugs to you and your mom! :kiss:

harveyt0206

Original Poster
I really appreciate your report, especially considering the circumstances. Just two days prior to our arrival at Disney World one of my colleagues lost her home to a fire. I thought about her constantly, so I can't even imagine what it must have been like for you and your mom. I'm glad to see your mom was able to find some enjoyment and hope while you were there.

The Cinderella "no paparazzi" picture cracks me up! Thank you so much for sharing.

Thanks HollyBelle. I really appreciate it. I certainly feel for your colleague and hope that she was able to ge her home rebuilt. Fire is so destructive not only because of the fire itself but you also have the water and smoke to deal with in the end.

When you started your trip report with "I didn't really know if I should write this report because nobody wants to hear how horrible it was" I was totally thinking how I could sympathize considering our last trip wasn't the most magical. Bad weather doesn't even begin to compare to what y'all went thru, tho. Bless your hearts! I'm glad nobody was hurt in the fire but sure do feel for your mom. And -ugh- I don't think I've ever in my entire life heard of anyone in any circumstance report that their experience with their insurance claim was a breeze and the insurance company was more than fair. It's always a fight to get a nickel even when it's clear as a bell that the loss is 100% covered. That's why I refuse to work for or represent insurance companies anymore.

I'm glad y'all had some good moments and your mom was able to find even a little enjoyment. Maybe having the time to process everything in her mind before actually having it in front of her was a good thing. Kinda like when I get a phone call that the kids did something really bad but they're in school so I have a few hours to process the :fork: feelings so I don't snap, go off the deep end, & kill them. LOL! Seriously, tho, it's cool that you had that time with your mom. Years from now you'll look back and probably have plenty of good stuff to smile about and maybe even a few yucks over the bad stuff that you didn't let ruin everything.

I agree with HollyBelle, the Cinderella paparazzi pic was great! Loved it!

In spite of everything, I still enjoyed reading your report and appreciate that you took the time and put forth the effort to share it with all of us. I didn't feel so good about our trip but after writing the report I feel a lot better. Do you? I hope so.

Big ol' hugs to you and your mom! :kiss:

Thanks Sweetpee. Fortunately the fire was deemed electrical and in no way my mom's fault but you are right, insurance is a hassle no matter what you do. We had all the paperwork from the Fire Chief saying the cause of the fire, etc... and the insurance company still wanted to send in a "point of origin" specialist. That was a bit stressful, but you have to jump through all of their hoops if you want to have any chance at recouping some of your funds.

And I do feel better. I tend to be the type that truly believes that Disney has magical powers, so when real life interferes with that perception I turn into a spoiled rotten brat. :lol: But it's all good and I just have to keep it in perspective and you are right, I can simply remember the fun that we were able to have and choose to focus on that instead of the negative.

mouselvrmom

I"m so sorry that your trip wasn't everything you wanted it to be! I can appreciate how your mom must have felt wanting to get back but not being able to do anything about it.

On one trip to the world, we got a call that my cousing had died in a car accident. It was so horrible since we were there with our family and extended family and really couldn't pay to cut our trip short. We spent many moments thinking about him and mourning instead of enjoying our trip. But we figured that he would like us to have a bit of fun in his memory, so we tried to do that.

I'm glad that you made the best of things and learned some things in the process! I hope everything works out with the insurance! :wave:

harveyt0206

Original Poster
I"m so sorry that your trip wasn't everything you wanted it to be! I can appreciate how your mom must have felt wanting to get back but not being able to do anything about it.

On one trip to the world, we got a call that my cousing had died in a car accident. It was so horrible since we were there with our family and extended family and really couldn't pay to cut our trip short. We spent many moments thinking about him and mourning instead of enjoying our trip. But we figured that he would like us to have a bit of fun in his memory, so we tried to do that.

I'm glad that you made the best of things and learned some things in the process! I hope everything works out with the insurance! :wave:

Thank you for the kind words Mouselvrmom. I really appreciate it. And I am so sorry for your loss. Dealing with a tragedy like that must have been very difficult during a Disney vacation. It's such a juxtaposition of happy and sad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom