Toy Story Mania Wii Reviews

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Toy Story Mania for the Wii* is released tomorrow.

Please post reviews here that you find online, as well as your first hand experiences with the game.

I've only seen one review thus far, and it is lukewarm (at best):
http://wii.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r37789.htm

I wonder if the author is not familiar with the attraction (I hope). To call TSM a button masher is only accurate if you're not familiar with the various things you can do to increase your high score. That is, in the actual attraction. Hopefully the game maintains that aspect of the game. I'm still on the fence as to whether we'll pick it up right away, or wait for the prices to drop a bit. I guess it will depend on subsequent reviews.

For those 'art house' video game fans, keep perspective in mind when proffering your reviews. This is an arcade/party style game. If you were expecting a Shenmue or Metal Gear storyline, your expectations were seriously warped.

*despite this being a thread about a video game, it is nonetheless a video game based on a theme park attraction, and reviews are news about said game, and this thread should thus not be forced to die a slow death in a sub-forum no one ever visits.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I think I will get it tomorrow. If nothing else it will give me a reason to blow the dust off my Wii tomorrow night. Also, since it is a party type game maybe I can convince some of my friends to play it one night. :shrug:

SirGoofy

I think I will get it tomorrow. If nothing else it will give me a reason to blow the dust off my Wii tomorrow night. Also, since it is a party type game maybe I can convince some of my friends to play it one night. :shrug:

If you're lookinig for a good party-type game on Wii, I'd recommend Wii Sports Resort.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
If you're lookinig for a good party-type game on Wii, I'd recommend Wii Sports Resort.

I like the Sports Resort. I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun it is. Cranium also makes a board-game-on-your TV type party game that is tons of fun.

I just poked around some TSM for Wii reviews. They certainly aren't terrible, but they could definitely be better. I am a little concerned and annoyed by the technical problems the game seems to have.

RSoxNo1

Pre-ordered in Amazon, really only to master familiarity with the games. I imagine I'll grow tired of it shortly.

Exprcoofto

This sounds like a really awesome game based after an excellent theme park ride. I love the new style of games they are throwing in there too. woot :sohappy:

CastleBound

Yea, I don't think it will be a question of how fun it is, but how much replay value it has. Wii games are mostly not fun to play alone. Basically a party system. I do love the solo games, but the party games are what make the system. This one should fulfill those needs!

JimboJones123

I will be very much looking forward to the post-Christmas discount when this game is $29 or $19. Are there going to be any specials if you buy it in the parks??? I know sometimes they offer Pins and whatnots if you buy DVDs in the parks.

scpergj

I have a reservation for it at Target - I'll be picking it up on my way home. I'll have my kids reaction tomorrow night - I'll let them play it while I'm on the treadmill...then it'll be my turn!

Omnimover

For those 'art house' video game fans, keep perspective in mind when proffering your reviews. This is an arcade/party style game. If you were expecting a Shenmue or Metal Gear storyline, your expectations were seriously warped.

Colonel: Buzz, this is a "sneaking mission." Your task is to infiltrate the enemy complex, codenamed "Andy's Room," and eliminate opposition by throwing eggs at chickens. All weapons/equipment are POS.

Buzz: Fox-DIE!!!!

Mei Ling: Buzz! BUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZ!!!

(GAME OVER)

Cmdr_Crimson

I cannot wait for this!!! At about 1:30 into the video it's identical to the opening of the Ride!!!
[YOUTUBE]
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYQNGc3X13g&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYQNGc3X13g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
[/YOUTUBE]

I was able to purchase this on Friday at the local Toys R Us (they had three on the shelf when I went in Friday and they where all gone on Saturday when I was back in the store).

The game is really good other that then shaking of the Wii remote for no reason other that to shake the remote, but they seem to do that with every Wii game.

The 3-D play is very poor compaired to the ride and you only have cheap paper glasses (one red lens and one green lens) and not the same type that you get on the ride.

I have enjoyed the game so far, but this also may be because I get to leave in 9 days to go back to Disney World and ride the real attraction in Disney Hollywood Studios.

majortom1981

I was able to purchase this on Friday at the local Toys R Us (they had three on the shelf when I went in Friday and they where all gone on Saturday when I was back in the store).

The game is really good other that then shaking of the Wii remote for no reason other that to shake the remote, but they seem to do that with every Wii game.

The 3-D play is very poor compaired to the ride and you only have cheap paper glasses (one red lens and one green lens) and not the same type that you get on the ride.

I have enjoyed the game so far, but this also may be because I get to leave in 9 days to go back to Disney World and ride the real attraction in Disney Hollywood Studios.

I could be wrong but right now regular flat screen tvs cant do the type of 3d that is on the ride. The new very expensive tvs can but regular flat screens cant.

tjkraz

They were demoing Toy Story Mania for the Wii at D23 and they actually had it on sale in the merchandise shop. It was the standard $49.95 price and came bundled with a $5 gift card. Picked up a copy for the kids but haven't opened it yet.

I played a round at the D23 kiosk and it's about what you would expect. Don't know how much true long-term playability it will have, but I bet it would make a fun party game for Disney fans.

I could be wrong but right now regular flat screen tvs cant do the type of 3d that is on the ride. The new very expensive tvs can but regular flat screens cant.

I'm no expert on 3D but I think there is still a lot possible with current gen TVs. At D23 they were demoing Disney's 3D system that is coming to Blu Ray players in 2010. They showed trailers for Bolt and Up, plus one of the newer Toy Story shorts. To me, it looked pretty close to what you get in the theater.

Special glasses were used, but they seemed similar (if not identical) to the polarized theater glasses. Definitely NOT the red / blue lenses.

I suspect this is much easier to do on Blu Ray since the disks can hold a lot more data. 3D pictures are distorted when viewed without the glasses. So Disney would have to put both the 3D and 2D transfer on the disk. That should be possible with Blu Ray. Separate disks would also work but would increase the cost.

TP2000

They had this game on sneak preview at the Disney Interactive Group exhibit on the D23 Expo exhibit floor. I just sort of breezed through the 20,000 square foot exhibit, and since it was roughly at the exit of the Parks & Resorts Pavilion we were sort of in stunned silence at all we'd seen and heard in that pavilion and the Interactive Group exhibit was a blur.

But it was at D23 Expo, so maybe someone out there has info on it from the show floor?

Cmdr_Crimson

If it's a game based on a attraction I'd definatley get it. Even if it's a bit different. Heck I have the PSOne & Dreamcast versions of Walt Disney World Quest Magical Racing Tour and the layouts of the rides are a little bit off but it is still the ride decked out as a racetrack.

JustInTime

They were demoing Toy Story Mania for the Wii at D23 and they actually had it on sale in the merchandise shop. It was the standard $49.95 price and came bundled with a $5 gift card. Picked up a copy for the kids but haven't opened it yet.

I played a round at the D23 kiosk and it's about what you would expect. Don't know how much true long-term playability it will have, but I bet it would make a fun party game for Disney fans.

I'm no expert on 3D but I think there is still a lot possible with current gen TVs. At D23 they were demoing Disney's 3D system that is coming to Blu Ray players in 2010. They showed trailers for Bolt and Up, plus one of the newer Toy Story shorts. To me, it looked pretty close to what you get in the theater.

Special glasses were used, but they seemed similar (if not identical) to the polarized theater glasses. Definitely NOT the red / blue lenses.

I suspect this is much easier to do on Blu Ray since the disks can hold a lot more data. 3D pictures are distorted when viewed without the glasses. So Disney would have to put both the 3D and 2D transfer on the disk. That should be possible with Blu Ray. Separate disks would also work but would increase the cost.

As of now, TV's on the market can't play the fancy 3d. At home it's the red and blue specs(sometimes purple and green). Don't worry. A new Sony is about to/has hit stores.

BJMidget

I played it at the D23 Expo. It was awesome! they even had it for sale early in the Dream Store and it came with a $5 Disney gift card. I bought it and had to cancel they copy that I pre-ordered from Amazon. Of course I can't play it until I get home and I'm 2,500 miles away.:brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom