Rumors that never came to be, but that would have been great

hooters dude

Banned
Original Poster
Many years ago I remember there being a big sign outside the studios entrance advertising a Magic show/ restaurant (I think it was Lance Burton) to be opening the following year. I seem to remember this all fell through, but can't remember the exact details :shrug:

Lee

Adventurer
Many years ago I remember there being a big sign outside the studios entrance advertising a Magic show/ restaurant (I think it was Lance Burton) to be opening the following year. I seem to remember this all fell through, but can't remember the exact details :shrug:

David Copperfield's Magic Underground.
The sign is as far as it got.:rolleyes:

LiveyMouse22

Australia would work in AK, just demo Chester and Hesters, or even retheme Primeval Whirl to some derivation of Crush's Coaster for the Australia tie in. They need an animal walk through that has a major attraction in it, I think Koala's would be perfect, and they could use Kangaroos, Wallabys, and even Dingoes to round out the rest of the walk through.
That sounds like a really cool idea!

EPCOT Explorer

Australia would work in AK, just demo Chester and Hesters, or even retheme Primeval Whirl to some derivation of Crush's Coaster for the Australia tie in. They need an animal walk through that has a major attraction in it, I think Koala's would be perfect, and they could use Kangaroos, Wallabys, and even Dingoes to round out the rest of the walk through.

Now, that's a good idea...

JustInTime

What happened to Night Kingdom?

I never liked the idea, I am glad it's dead. It sounded like Animal Kingdom at night.(which in reality, wouldn't have been a bad idea to combine the two ideas :lookaroun).

tomm4004

Oh well, since it's back.

EPCOT's Project Genesis.

Years ago my friend (WDW management) told me that D-MGM was getting a wooden coaster. Later the rumours surfaced about the Boardwalk getting one, and in the end (!) we got the Keister Coaster.

Actually, D*ck Tracy and Great Muppet Ride weren't rumours since they were actually announced as part of the Disney Decade. My favourites in that group were Baby Herman's Buggy coaster and Russia.

jedimaster1227

Your disgust is misdirected for the most part.

I just figured I'd add: Bingo! :sohappy:

Oh well, since it's back.

EPCOT's Project Genesis.

Years ago my friend (WDW management) told me that D-MGM was getting a wooden coaster. Later the rumours surfaced about the Boardwalk getting one, and in the end (!) we got the Keister Coaster.

Actually, D*ck Tracy and Great Muppet Ride weren't rumours since they were actually announced as part of the Disney Decade. My favourites in that group were Baby Herman's Buggy coaster and Russia.

I believe you are referring to Project Gemini. Gemini, while mostly shelved is still not wholly dead to this date. Actually, certain things are currently happening (or have happened in the last month or so) that fit the Gemini bill.

Disney wouldn't likely consider purchasing a wooden coaster, considering the maintenance costs, larger footprint, noise and the effect of weather on such a ride. Another factor that plays against such a concept is the actual feeling of the coaster itself--while some wooden coasters are smooth as silk (El Toro comes to mind), most if not all have a more wild feeling to them that intimidates many. I've spoken to plenty of non-coaster enthusiast friends and many of them are afraid of wooden coasters just because of how they are constructed or how they feel (in terms of safety) when compared to steel coasters. I believe Disney recognizes the above factors (along with those not mentioned) and in doing so, easily rules out the possibility of a wooden coaster.

And just so I throw it out there for the topic's sake, I would have been very happy with a clone of Disneyland's Matterhorn at Epcot.

SirGoofy

Disney wouldn't likely consider purchasing a wooden coaster, considering the maintenance costs, larger footprint, noise and the effect of weather on such a ride. Another factor that plays against such a concept is the actual feeling of the coaster itself--while some wooden coasters are smooth as silk (El Toro comes to mind), most if not all have a more wild feeling to them that intimidates many. I've spoken to plenty of non-coaster enthusiast friends and many of them are afraid of wooden coasters just because of how they are constructed or how they feel (in terms of safety) when compared to steel coasters. I believe Disney recognizes the above factors (along with those not mentioned) and in doing so, easily rules out the possibility of a wooden coaster. .

Wasn't the Excavator going to be a woodie?

If so, I'd take that over what's on that plot any day. Primeval Whirl is rougher than any wooden coaster I've ever been on.:lol:

Slowjack

Western
River
Expedition

Enough said. This was an actual planned attraction that just got chopped apart due to budget cuts, etc.. coulda been the greatest thing Disney ever created. *gnashes teeth*
Although WRE and Thunder Mesa in general is the great "lost attraction of WDW," I wonder how much we really lost there. Splash Mountain has a lot of the elements of the WRE and of course Big Thunder was the ride originally planned to go on top of the Mesa. While we can hope that Marc Davis would have created a ride to surpass POTC, since it's never been built, we're comparing our dreams of what could be against actual rides. I guess what I'm saying is that if Thunder Mesa had ever been built the overall experience probably wouldn't have been better than what we got.

EPCOT Explorer

Although WRE and Thunder Mesa in general is the great "lost attraction of WDW," I wonder how much we really lost there. Splash Mountain has a lot of the elements of the WRE and of course Big Thunder was the ride originally planned to go on top of the Mesa. While we can hope that Marc Davis would have created a ride to surpass POTC, since it's never been built, we're comparing our dreams of what could be against actual rides. I guess what I'm saying is that if Thunder Mesa had ever been built the overall experience probably wouldn't have been better than what we got.

True, but the are would have looked a tad more unified.

Seeing. Spl. and BTTMR riiiight next to each other is kinda weird.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom