What is to happen to Marvel island?

disneybuff79

Original Poster
With the acqusition of Marvel by Disney today, I wonder what is going to happen to Marvel Island at Universal's Islands of Adventure. It would be cool to see the Spiderman ride at the Hollywood studios somewhere. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Gig 'Em Mickey

Probably not much of anything in the near future. For now, the merger will probably remain a merger just on paper. Current licensing agreements will stay in place, and rights to images will stay in place.

I don't think Disney spent 4 bil on aquiring this company and then decide to shut down or drastically rebrand a solid revenue stream in those theme parks.

Mouse Man

Actually the plan is to let the licensing agreements to be in affect until there expiration then remove them to WDW. Phone call would go like this. Hi ya Spidy, well hello Boss Mickey how are you, Swell. Can you please get ready and tell the others to pack and prepare for there new home. Sure Boss Mickey, just let us know when and we will be right there. Swell Spidy Oh Boy you guys will now really have some fun.

slappy magoo

Yeah, but the article tempers statements with "apparentlys" and "likely tos."

While Disney will have to honor any agreement Marvel made with any other licensee, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney eventually tried to acquire the theme park rights through some kind of barter. For example, Disney has the rights to various stories or properties Uni would like to acquire, so they work out an agreement in exchange for a combo of cash and those properties. Uni gets a certain amount of time to re-create Marvel Island to be something else, and then those superheroes get incorporated into WDW, probably to bolster up DHS.

CastleBound

Yeah, but the article tempers statements with "apparentlys" and "likely tos."

While Disney will have to honor any agreement Marvel made with any other licensee, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney eventually tried to acquire the theme park rights through some kind of barter. For example, Disney has the rights to various stories or properties Uni would like to acquire, so they work out an agreement in exchange for a combo of cash and those properties. Uni gets a certain amount of time to re-create Marvel Island to be something else, and then those superheroes get incorporated into WDW, probably to bolster up DHS.

Maybe they will swap that silly mouse for some tough superheroes..:lol:

JT3000

Giving Universal something valuable in return for the theme park rights to Marvel would not be in Disney's best interest. It's very questionable how well Marvel would fit into Disney's parks in the first place. Besides, WDW is the only location that Universal's agreement keeps them from using the brand at.

jonnyc

There is an article in the really long thread that suggests that Universal can contiue to run MSI as is for pretty much as long as it wants. If I remeber correctly it was also hinted at that Disney may attempt to buy out these contracts at some point, but not in the near future.

So expect MSI to remain as long as it is good buisness for Universal to keep it open, the ball is in their court.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom