Indiana Jones Accident?

DisneyHoneymoon

My condolences to the family and to the fellow cast members. DH and I were at the show in July, and I wonder if it was the "plant" in the audience, who was from "Bulgaria" who died? He was very charming and very likeable. So sad. :cry:

Thurp

Please provide some clarification :veryconfu Thanks! Duckberg :cool:

What he is saying is that WDW has a daily population similar to that of a small city. Like in any small city, every day you will have all sort of things happen: Someone will fall, someone will break a bone, someone will have a heart attack, someone will wreck their car, etc.

There are all sort of medical emergencies on property every single day. Only a handful of them ever make it to the news.

STGRhost

While I am often the one to throw the "Size of a small city..death happens" side of the argument into a conversation, I think these deaths ARE a bit shocking.

We're not talking about natural deaths (heart attacks, illnesses, etc) or traffic accidents. And we're not talking about some of the millions of people who populate this "city" for a week at a time. We're talking about three cast members who were KILLED (not just injured) as a result of ON THE JOB accidents.
Yes, I still think these are just terrible coincidences (the "management" that was let go was over staffed to begin with, and in some cases not even in supervisory roles...), but that doesn't make three CM deaths in less than 2 months a little creepy.

_Scar

^easily possible.

Also, I didn't put 2 and 2 together that there are 54 thousand CMs working WDW (or so I read). It makes sense not everything goes to press.

LoriSue

Why is it hard to believe that they are coincidental? What do the three accidents have in common? In the case of the monorail accident cutbacks are a legitimate hypothesis to explore but how would cutbacks cause the other two accidents?
I agree completely, Monorail is an obvious overload issue but the other 2 sound completely like freak, tragic accidents. Condolances to the families, both biologial and Disney..

CastleBound

I was watch fox news and they reported on this accident, they mentioned that the show will shut down!?? now I haven't heard that before then and I believe it was just a flub or maybe he meant shut down for one more day... i dunno anyone else hear anything?

RIP

misterID

I was just thinking it was going to be shut down. This is the first death but I know cast members get hurt there a lot. It probably just isn't worth having it anymore.

miles1

I wish this would stop happening. Three deaths this summer, this is sooo sad :(

It is very sad. And actually it's FOUR this year, if you count the CM that was killed in the car crash this past April.

A question for you CM's out there- Is Celebration Hospital really equipped to deal with major trauma like this, or does WDW send everyone there because it's close? If you were injured would you feel comfortable going there, or would you rather go to ORMC, which is top notch?

board57796

It is very sad. And actually it's FOUR this year, if you count the CM that was killed in the car crash this past April.

Yes I knew him as well :( Also later in the same week the Monorail accident happened, another Monorail CM was killed in a car accident, although he was not at work or going to/from, so there was no need for it to be in the news, but it was definitely an extremely tough week in the department. The kid who died in April was in Watercraft, which works closely with Monorails, so really we lost 3 in tragic accidents this year.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was watch fox news and they reported on this accident, they mentioned that the show will shut down!?? now I haven't heard that before then and I believe it was just a flub or maybe he meant shut down for one more day... i dunno anyone else hear anything?

RIP
From what I heard it was going to be a one or two day shutdown.

I was just thinking it was going to be shut down. This is the first death but I know cast members get hurt there a lot. It probably just isn't worth having it anymore.
Care to explain why a show that still fills a 2000 seat amphitheater several times a day is "no longer worth having"?

echoscot

Hello fellow magic people, it has been a while since I posted on this board, but wanted you to know that this is a very difficult time for us. I work at the Epic stage, and just to put to rest some of the speculation, this was not due to any equipment failure or safety violation or cutbacks, he was in rehearsal to learn the show and simply had an accident. I can't go into any more detail than that on a public forum like this.

We do appreciate all of the prayers and support that you can provide. We are hoping to be up to normal shows later this week. We are only holding off so everyone can cope emotionally with this. This CM's older brother has been performing in the show for many years and he can really use your prayers and thoughts right now.

Thank you

Atomicmickey

Thank you . . . hope you can pass along that we're all thinking of you, and
that we appreciate the hard work and risk involved by everyone in putting on an amazing show. It is of no consolation to the family and friends of the CM that it was a freak accident, but we are glad to know that you are doing your job under the safest conditions possible for such a line of work.

Thank you for the update, and after an appropriate time, we look forward to enjoying your skill and craft once again.

CrashNet

Two things:

1. I read no bashing in Al Lutz's statement. What I do read is sensationalism.

2. The media sensationalizing and trying, EXTREMELY hard I might add, to relate these three accidents to one common issue is absolutey the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Its a series of unrelated unfortunate events. People die every day for a variety of reasons. Disney is in the spotlight right now because of the monorail accident, so the media is circling like vultures waiting for the next body to drop to dive in and have a snack.

Word to the wise people: the media is a business like everything else...they're hyping it up for ratings and nothing more. As soon as something tastier happens, they'll fly away and leave the Disney carcass to less than memory.

Ralphlaw

Yes, it probably is just a coincidence. All of you have probably known times when tragedy seems to occur in batches. Many of you have known people who have had a job loss, health problem and family tragedy all occur within a short time. Or a family that has had misfortune pile upon them. That sort of thing just happens, or at least is perceived to have happened at times.

I am curious about the number of non-fatal injuries that occur at Indiana Jones and other places in the world. If certain attractions, for example, are prone to broken bones, does Disney just say "oh well" and let it go, or are fundamental changes then made? As an employer, I would not let my workers be at risk for serious bone-breaking injuries on a daily basis if anything could be done about it. Yes, stunt shows are inherently dangerous at some level; but if two workers per year break their arms for example, then a change would have to be made.

If that's the history of Indiana Jones, then this tragic death is not a surprise. If the injury history is little more than bruises, small cuts and twisted ankles, then this is a horrible surprise. Even in football, broken bones are becoming rare compared to more subtle (yet serious) injuries like concussions, muscle pulls, and ligament problems. That is why, perhaps, looking at the history of broken bone injuries may be a gauge of the seriousness of this problem. Broken bones, after all, are usually the sign of a far more serious accident than most other injuries

I feel terrible for the family, especially the brother who also worked at Indiana Jones.

misterID

Care to explain why a show that still fills a 2000 seat amphitheater several times a day is "no longer worth having"?

Well, the threat of future lawsuits and your employees health when they have been getting hurt there. Not to mention a death changes everything. It might stay, it might not. They have to ask themselves if its worth the risk. Its a stunt show. It isn't a ride. Employees do get hurt there. The odds are something bad will happen again at some point. Explained.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well, the threat of future lawsuits and your employees health when they have been getting hurt there. Not to mention a death changes everything. It might stay, it might not. They have to ask themselves if its worth the risk. Its a stunt show. It isn't a ride. Employees do get hurt there. The odds are something bad will happen again at some point. Explained.
A death, especially the death of a castmember can happen anywhere at WDW. It is an industrial work environment. Unfortunately accidental deaths are inevitable. If all it takes is a single accidental death to shutter something then you will also need to close Primeval Whirl, the Pirate Tutorial, the Monorail, Carousel of Progress, all parades, and the bus system. Closing shows and attractions on a knee jerk reaction is not the answer. Investigating and revising safety practices is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom