Does anyone know about this? Fingerprint deal....

draybook

But that's the thing...Disney is not the government! And the government has better things to do than track where Joe Shmo is going throughout his day. Do people really think the govt. cares?! There is a time and a place to fear authority but this is not it.

LOL, the government doesn't care? You don't watch much news, do you? Have you even heard of what the Bush administration tried to do involoving the rights of every day citizens?

And I don't fear authority, I don't trust them. There's a difference.

sublimesting

LOL, the government doesn't care? You don't watch much news, do you? Have you even heard of what the Bush administration tried to do involoving the rights of every day citizens?

I do watch the news as a matter of fact. But you kind of prove my point. Yes, Bush illegally spied on citizens, their efforts were more devoted towards possible terror suspsects. Any innocent citizens that fell under survielance that was not warranted were ignored, which was my point. You and I could have been monitored but it didn't affect us as we are not criminals. I'll worry when they start changing the definition of criminal. AND Disney is not the government, they are a business that owns property and can determine who comes onto said property, just like you can.

I understand your concerns. I dont buy into the "if your doing nothing wrong then why do you care..." mentality. No, I dont want the goverment tracking me.

That said, I do not mind getting my finger scanned at disney. At all. I really dont feel they are doing anything suspicious with the info.

And I think your giving the goverment too much credit here, they are not nearly as slick as you make them out to be:ROFLOL:

wolf359

I understand why Disney uses the finger scans, and I think they are well within their rights to use what I consider a harmless, relatively anonymous, and hardly reliable method to protect themselves against ticket fraud.

What I don't know is why some people fear this process? What is a "worse case scenario" making you hesitant to allow Disney to measure your fingers? I understand being hesitant to trust governments and large corporations with sensitive information, but I don't see what could be lost or gained through the use or misuse of the biometric scan data. I'm curious if there is a concrete event that can be defined at the root of this fear, or if this is simply a non specific reaction to a perceived loss of control over personal liberty.

The way I see it is I've already provided Disney my credit and/or debit card number, bank routing information, personal interests, names, and income levels of my entire family, as well as my home address, phone number, and email address before setting one foot on their property. I can also depend on a mandatory search of my person and possessions at any time while on their property, along with being electronically monitored and having my image electronically stored and transmitted at any time.

So really, what's the point of worrying about having my fingers measured? Disney could do far more damage to me with all of the other information I've freely given them, but they haven't, and I trust them not to. I suppose the biometric finger scans could be a "straw that breaks the camel's back" situation for some people, and I can respect that, even if I can't take the concern particularly seriously, because I don't understand it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I understand why Disney uses the finger scans, and I think they are well within their rights to use what I consider a harmless, relatively anonymous, and hardly reliable method to protect themselves against ticket fraud.

What I don't know is why some people fear this process? What is a "worse case scenario" making you hesitant to allow Disney to measure your fingers? I understand being hesitant to trust governments and large corporations with sensitive information, but I don't see what could be lost or gained through the use or misuse of the biometric scan data. I'm curious if there is a concrete event that can be defined at the root of this fear, or if this is simply a non specific reaction to a perceived loss of control over personal liberty.

The way I see it is I've already provided Disney my credit and/or debit card number, bank routing information, personal interests, names, and income levels of my entire family, as well as my home address, phone number, and email address before setting one foot on their property. I can also depend on a mandatory search of my person and possessions at any time while on their property, along with being electronically monitored and having my image electronically stored and transmitted at any time.

So really, what's the point of worrying about having my fingers measured? Disney could do far more damage to me with all of the other information I've freely given them, but they haven't, and I trust them not to. I suppose the biometric finger scans could be a "straw that breaks the camel's back" situation for some people, and I can respect that, even if I can't take the concern particularly seriously, because I don't understand it.
full_of_win.jpg

tigsmom

You know I read about this all the time (and Disney is NOT taking your fingerprints :rolleyes: ), but I have to say in all the trips I have ever made to WDW I have never had to do a finger scan....EVER! Is there a certain time of year it's more prevalent or is it only done with certain types of tickets?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You know I read about this all the time (and Disney is NOT taking your fingerprints :rolleyes: ), but I have to say in all the trips I have ever made to WDW I have never had to do a finger scan....EVER! Is there a certain time of year it's more prevalent or is it only done with certain types of tickets?
As a general rule the scanners are turned off at rope drop to speed up the line. If you are getting to the parks around opening time you might never have to use the scanner.

Can I just ask something without people jumping down my throat? Anyone want to take a leap? Anyone? Anyone? Going once...going twice..going three times...gone!

When I enter the parks and the scanner is having trouble reading my finger, cast members usually tell me to use the same finger that I always use-like I've somehow decided to switch fingers. However, sometimes I use the same finger on a different hand. I remember a CM telling me that it shouldn't work, but it did. I mean it makes sense that your fingers would be about the same size, right? Then why did they say it wouldn't work?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Can I just ask something without people jumping down my throat? Anyone want to take a leap? Anyone? Anyone? Going once...going twice..going three times...gone!

When I enter the parks and the scanner is having trouble reading my finger, cast members usually tell me to use the same finger that I always use-like I've somehow decided to switch fingers. However, sometimes I use the same finger on a different hand. I remember a CM telling me that it shouldn't work, but it did. I mean it makes sense that your fingers would be about the same size, right? Then why did they say it wouldn't work?
In theory, it shouldn't work, because even if both fingers are identical, they would be mirror images of each other.

That said, there are a number of algorithms that are used to come up with a "score" [which is all the biometrics actually record], it's conceivable that both fingers reach the same score by different means. The odds are against it, but it certainly is possible. :shrug:

Tom

Beta Return
Seesh!

Really, I mean, really!?

Do your aunt and uncle have driver's licenses? Do they know that their complete identification including SSN, DOB, age, all previous addresses, all names and aliases, and much more - along with a digital version of their DL photo - is in a giant police (i.e. government) database? Yes, I'm serious.

It's a good thing they don't work somewhere that requires REAL fingerprint or retina identity for security clearance, or they'd have to quit their jobs too.

My fingerprints are on file with the state and FBI (I carry a concealed firearm). I've seen my Triple-I (complete police database/background check) report (because I know cops) - it's full of lots of scary information about me....and every cop has full access to it (even the bad cops). But I'm not scared. I haven't done anything wrong, and don't plan on doing anything wrong.

My theory is that the people who are really afraid of stuff like this are the ones who actually have something to hide. Otherwise, they're just nuts!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom