How is WDW Doing Economically?

Golden3696

Original Poster
In the past few months, I've seen tons of Disney commercials marketing all types of huge sales. 3 days free? Free meal plan? I was wondering if these deals helped Disney at all. And I would like to know how WDW is doing overall economically. It's sad to see such an amazing place have so little crowds.:(

SirGoofy

So little crowds? This last year was the most crowded I've ever seen since my first trip in 1990.

They're doing fine. They're just not selling as much BS merchandise. You don't see every kid walking around in a big goofy hat or as many people with the swirly glowing things, or the spray bottles with electric fans, etc. People are only buying what they really need. Park tickets, food, and that's about it.

Not true.

Profits are down. Big from what I've been told.

erasure fan1

Its funny my sister tried to get in at a moderate resort for late Aug. and they were completely booked at all of them. They had to shorten the visit and stay in the swan and dolphin. We have never seen the moderate resorts completely filled that early before. Maybe all the people who stay in the deluxe resorts are downgrading.:lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Here is their stock price for the last decade. Take from it what you wish but it looks like they have seen better and worse days.

chrtsrv.dll

figgyfan

I was actually playing around pretending to book a trip to take advantage of the free dining plan etc... it was giving me a cheaper package price to stay at Coronado Springs than an All-Star resort for the same length of stay!?! I think the more expensive resorts aren't filling up as quickly as the value resorts.

DisneyJoe

I was actually playing around pretending to book a trip to take advantage of the free dining plan etc... it was giving me a cheaper package price to stay at Coronado Springs than an All-Star resort for the same length of stay!?! I think the more expensive resorts aren't filling up as quickly as the value resorts.

Make sure you are comparing equivalent room types, dates, tickets, etc.

You most likely had either a preferred room or an All-Star Music Family suite...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Stock price is not necessarily indicative of the performance of one part of a massive company.
Quite true. At best it is somewhat of an expert's opinion of how a company is doing and we all know that experts do not always have the right answers.

Right common sense would tell me that Disney is stable. The parks are packed but they are giving away the farm to do it. Attendance is up but spending is down. As always they will weather the storm.

stevieg639

The parks are still packed and more than universal but it is crazy to think they are where they were a couple of years ago. This years fourth of july celebration was the first time from what I can recall that there were no phase closings, so CMs could have even entered the park.

janoimagine

Personally I don't think they are hurting too bad if they are spending 1 Billion to redo parts of DCA, and another 451 million to Hong Kong Disneyland. I just wish they would spend that kind of money at WDW.

Well Spring Break week The Magic Kingdom, Epcot and DHS all broke attendance records and most were closed due to attendance. And from the clients I have sent to Disney in the past few months, they have all said that the parks are real crowded.

Disney is Doing just fine. They made some cuts in cast members, cut out some rehabs and put several projects on the back burner. All to keep their bottom line up.

Plus, Time Warner just had to sell off a bunch of their TV and Radio Divisions, so in Late May Disney became the #1 Entertainment/Media Company in the world.

I tried to get a room in late August (8/21-8/23) and nothing but Exclusive rooms were available. So people are still going to Disney, they always will.

captainkidd

I tried to get a room in late August (8/21-8/23) and nothing but Exclusive rooms were available. So people are still going to Disney, they always will.

I think you should check again. I just did a search for those dates and there's availability at every resort, and it's pretty inexpensive too. Some rooms at WL as low as $199.

I guarantee they're not doing so hot. We got an AP rate at WL Concierge Level for less than $240 per night. That's the cheapest rate I've ever seen.

WDW_Emily

I don't know how WDW is doing as a whole but i bet the Value resorts are booked up. i know quite a few people who had to stop staying at moderate or deluxe and only make 1 or 2 adrs in order for them to go. My family normally stays at value or moderate but we couldn't swing it this year=[ Next year though:)

SirGoofy

Well Spring Break week The Magic Kingdom, Epcot and DHS all broke attendance records and most were closed due to attendance. And from the clients I have sent to Disney in the past few months, they have all said that the parks are real crowded.

Attendance records were not broken.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom