Online ADR booking

kapeman

They won't add Firefox support until they are done with IE testing.

They can't be done in parallel?

They are excluding at least 30% of the browser market and the group most likely to use the system in the first place.

Disney's IT strikes again!

BTW are they still outsourcing their web development?

kapeman

They are excluding at least 30% of the browser market and the group most likely to use the system in the first place.
quote]

I wouldn't make that assumption...

Why not?

From my experience, people that are more web savvy and more likely to use anything web-based are the people that choose to install their own browser and not just use the default OS browser.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They HAVE an IT Department? Let me guess... does this guy run it?

old_computer-pic.jpg
No. His grandfather does.:lookaroun

bugsbunny

More like 20-25%...tops. FireFox is OK, but I think the days of "Don't use IE because its DANGEROUS!" are long behind us. Furthermore, the majority of people who use Firefox are more likely to simply be "anti-Microsoft" than for any othe reason.

I'm an IT guy for 20+ years. I started using AOL back when it was version 1.x, came on ONE floppy disk for install, and had a 9600 baud modem to get on the Internet! In all that time of browsing, I have yet to have my PC get a virus or be "taken over" because of my insecure browser. And being in the security business for IT, I often have to go to unscrupulous websites and forums to track where people have been as well as to catch up on the latest ways to be a criminal. Still, my IE browsing sessions haven't allowed me to get infected. :shrug: I guess actually doing Windows Updates and updating my antivirus (AVG rocks!) keeps me safe.

Its not the browser that is insecure, its the idiocracy of the people using it. If you go surf for all day and use things like Bit Torrent to get stuff, Firefox isn't going to matter. :p

Now that I've harped on Firefox, let me just say that I believe Microsoft is downright evil in their cramming of IE down your throat and how they have tried to hold the PC manufacturers over a fire to get them to keep IE on the desktop. :fork:

And speaking of browser stuff...why is it that 64 bit operating systems have been around for years now and there are 64 bit browsers......but Adobe Flash only runs on 32 bit browsers? :shrug:

kapeman

More like 20-25%...tops. FireFox is OK, but I think the days of "Don't use IE because its DANGEROUS!" are long behind us. Furthermore, the majority of people who use Firefox are more likely to simply be "anti-Microsoft" than for any othe reason.

I wasn't commenting on why people were using something other than IE, just that they were using it.

And you are correct, the latest numbers show FF at 22.51% of the market.
But, if you include Opera and Chrome that brings the number to 32.74.

My point is that the MS-centric view is not the best one to have these days because you risk alienating a part of the market that is too large to ignore.

I also take issue with your statement that FF users are all MS haters.

I would be willing to say that the lion's share of them moved to FF from IE6 or older and wanted more features as well as better W3C compliance.

wannabeBelle

Not to get too technical (IT isnt my primary field after all) but if you chosen browser doesnt support this application, you can certainly always call 1-407 WDW-DINE in order to make your ressies. This application is in addition to, certainly not instead of. I'm pretty sure that Disney is rolling this out slowly so as not to mess stuff up. Maybe all of the browsers arent included yet but will be going foward. I think this was a great addition and option for me and my clients so count me among those who are happy with it so far. Belle

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not to get too technical (IT isnt my primary field after all) but if you chosen browser doesnt support this application, you can certainly always call 1-407 WDW-DINE in order to make your ressies. This application is in addition to, certainly not instead of. I'm pretty sure that Disney is rolling this out slowly so as not to mess stuff up. Maybe all of the browsers arent included yet but will be going foward. I think this was a great addition and option for me and my clients so count me among those who are happy with it so far. Belle
It will get there soon enough. Disney is starting out making the web site work with IE first for the obvious reason that the lion share of people use IE. Once they have that down I am sure they will start fixing the bugs in FF, Opera, Safari and Chrome. As long as us TA's act like good little BETA testers and report the issues they should get fixed.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Very few phones support Flash. The iPhone never has supported it, and Apple has made it clear that the iPhone won't for a while. :mad:

Actually many newer phones support flash-lite and can dynamically interact with servers on the backside. The iPhone doesn't support it because that would basically close down the apple store as you'd have flash apps popping up for the iPhone like mad and Apple would lose revenue.

But, rumor has it that blackberries will soon have it (they just don't like the fact you could write email apps in flash), and with every manufacturer that falls more pressure is put on Apple.

Here is a list of manufacturers that currently build handsets that support flash:
Fujitsu, Hitachi, Kyocera, LG, Mitsubishi, Motorola, NEC, Nokia, Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo, Sendo, Sharp, Siemens, Sony, Ericsson, Toshiba

DisneyJoe

FireFox is OK, but I think the days of "Don't use IE because its DANGEROUS!" are long behind us. Furthermore, the majority of people who use Firefox are more likely to simply be "anti-Microsoft" than for any othe reason.

The corporation that I work for, that is heavily into computer security because of doing government related work, will very soon be disabling IE for all internet access from our LAN. IE will still be allowed within our LAN for any internal systems, but will not be able to access external systems except on a case by case basis.

A tightly controlled version of Firefox will be allowed for external web access.

These procedures are being put into place due to the type of network security issues we face everyday...and we are far from being an anti-Microsoft shop.

Its not the browser that is insecure, its the idiocracy of the people using it.

Agreed!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No - actually the browser IS insecure. There is a laundry list of exploits for IE many of which revolve around allowing images and/or audio to contain code.

Did Goofy come up with that idea - allowing the browser to execute code contained in media files including SIMPLE JPEG's!!!!. We call these "Drive By Downloads" and there is no defense against these other than disabling the IE's ability to download ANY graphics at which point you are using the Lynx browser (text based only). Current fixes defend against specific attacks.

Short answer is simply viewing a picture can compromise your system using IE has nothing to do with dodgy sites etc although some people will click on anything. (and do all the time)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom