Online ADR booking

DisneyJoe

Generating tests to simulate thousands of end to end transactions per second isn't trivial, and simply generating the load isn't the issue. You have to generate the load, create random queries, random transactions, random latencies, all the while maintaining a deterministic design in your tests so bugs can actually be investigated. Sure, Disney could have spent millions creating a test infrastructure and delayed this by months, if not a year, but they're being smart with their money and leveraging beta tests in a real world environment. That's smart management.

This has already been delayed about 9 months.....it was supposed to roll out in October.

I've done it successfully on less $$$, with sites getting many tens of thousands of hits per minute.

I can't agree that this is a smart management decision, not with Disney's past record with information systems. They are taking the cheap path, plain and simple.

This system is going to limp along for years and never be quite right, just like all of their other systems.

bugsbunny

In terms of speed and reliability, its going to be a slug. Period. Ever try to logon just to try and pay on your vacation? If it works 50% of the time, that would be a long shot.

I would imagine that if the ADR system is going to want to reserve certain areas by credit cards, then they are certainly going to have to encrypt the browser sessions. You want to see systems get crushed in a hurrry, you just get a bunch of SSL sessions running on it. Sure, you can cloud the thing and start doing load balancing, but the overhead is still enormous and from an IT standpoint you start saying...I need to put X amount of servers in place just make web sessions run chop-chop? That always looks good to the boys in accounting since we all know IT costs money, not makes money. :ROFLOL:

Seriously, if Disney wanted to make their public facing software running smooth, they would have to have the benefit of building it from the ground up like Amazon did where the main purpose is to server the public, not serve the internal operation. Disney is obviously trying to shoehorn in public facing technology onto something that just wasn't built with that in mind.

And it wouldn't suprise me if they were using Oracle. There's a company that can ONLY stay in business by aiming at Fortune 500 companies. There stuff is literally propriatary and unportable and somehow still has this auroa about it that its "the best". These are same people who think the RISC processor can crush any Intel based chip. I see these fossils think this way even today, right after they tell me how this VPN crap is too complicated and we should go back to using modems and dumb terminals. :ROFLOL:

tirian

In terms of speed and reliability, its going to be a slug. Period. Ever try to logon just to try and pay on your vacation? If it works 50% of the time, that would be a long shot.

I would imagine that if the ADR system is going to want to reserve certain areas by credit cards, then they are certainly going to have to encrypt the browser sessions. You want to see systems get crushed in a hurrry, you just get a bunch of SSL sessions running on it. Sure, you can cloud the thing and start doing load balancing, but the overhead is still enormous and from an IT standpoint you start saying...I need to put X amount of servers in place just make web sessions run chop-chop? That always looks good to the boys in accounting since we all know IT costs money, not makes money. :ROFLOL:

Seriously, if Disney wanted to make their public facing software running smooth, they would have to have the benefit of building it from the ground up like Amazon did where the main purpose is to server the public, not serve the internal operation. Disney is obviously trying to shoehorn in public facing technology onto something that just wasn't built with that in mind.

They are planning to make some changes to the way the system works in hope that it'll even out the ADR availability. We'll have to see whether or not those plans actually happen.

TURKEY

And it wouldn't suprise me if they were using Oracle. There's a company that can ONLY stay in business by aiming at Fortune 500 companies. There stuff is literally propriatary and unportable and somehow still has this auroa about it that its "the best". These are same people who think the RISC processor can crush any Intel based chip. I see these fossils think this way even today, right after they tell me how this VPN crap is too complicated and we should go back to using modems and dumb terminals. :ROFLOL:

Most of the Disney built software is junk. It's the outside programs that are modified to Disney that seem to be the most stable and usable.

Jimmy Thick

Sweet!

I just booked my Sept trip ADR's in advance. I was allowed to book before everyone else due to the fact I'm taking down 3 groups of children from the Make A Wish foundation.

No matter what people say, Disney still has their priorities right, and my best interests. I applaud them.

And yes, on my first day, I have 7 ADR's :ROFLOL:

Computer Magic

Sweet!

I just booked my Sept trip ADR's in advance. I was allowed to book before everyone else due to the fact I'm taking down 3 groups of children from the Make A Wish foundation.

No matter what people say, Disney still has their priorities right, and my best interests. I applaud them.

And yes, on my first day, I have 7 ADR's :ROFLOL:
You deserve it. Congrats....I hope you didn't still LeCallier between Sept 9-16. If you did, can you call back and make it a table for 9 :lol:

DisneyJoe

it will be the choke points to the maiframe legacy DB (and perhaps the DB itself) that will criple the system.
From my use of the system so far, the only place that I see it make a call to the legacy mainframe or DB is the one point on one form where you can retrieve your package or room reservation and associate it with your ADR's. It retrieve's your resort name and reservation start and end date and limits you to searches between those dates, inclusive. You have the option of disassociating from your room reservation also.

The rest of it SHOULD be on the newest systems they have available - I see no reason why they would put anything back on the legacy systems.

WDWCP

Trust me...I believe you. I am glad that they are testing it out on Travel Agents first though. You all will use it the most...so I'm sure every travel agent is trying to screw with the system to make it break...trying to help get the bugs out. From what I'm assuming (after hearing) it's still quite buggy.

And yes...keep the feedback going. Hopefully the feedback will help them.

I guess someone's got to QA the software!!!

nibblesandbits

The booking engine uses Flash heavily..... do many phones support Flash yet? I know my blackberry doesn't.
Well, yes, that could be a problem. :lol:

Maybe they could create a seperate non-flash version for cell phone internet users. Or maybe not...:lookaroun

I just know it would be a good way to use the technology...hopefully Disney may have something in the works for it in the future if all goes well with the online ressies. I would certainly use it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom