Bay lake and seven seas lagoon (info)

devjohnson

Original Poster
Did You Know:

- The depth of Bay Lake is 1 mile diameter and ONLY 12 ft deep
- Seven Seas lagoon is MAN MADE and ONLY 14 ft deep
- Fishing was not allowed in the Seven Seas Lagoon until the mid-1990s
- APPARANTLY it was discovered that the lagoon had very dangerous Naegleria fowleri (colloquially known as "the brain-eating amoeba")
- The Seven Seas Lagoon was originally configured for artificial waves, tall enough to allow surfing (shut down due to erosion)

Lee

Adventurer
Did You Know:
- The depth of Bay Lake is 1 mile diameter and ONLY 12 ft deep
- Seven Seas lagoon is MAN MADE and ONLY 14 ft deep
- Fishing was not allowed in the Seven Seas Lagoon until the mid-1990s
- APPARANTLY it was discovered that the lagoon had very dangerous Naegleria fowleri (colloquially known as "the brain-eating amoeba")
- The Seven Seas Lagoon was originally configured for artificial waves, tall enough to allow surfing (shut down due to erosion)
Yep.
All fairly well known.:wave:

devjohnson

Original Poster
While we are on the subject of lake depths, anyone know how deep WS Lagoon is? I'm guessing the same, about 12 feet?

I was wondering that too. I couldnt find it. Just this is shocking! I always thought the lakes were MUCH MUCH DEEPER! But I still wouldnt swim in one. BLEH!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You`ll have to do that better than that around here! :D

World Showcase Lagoon; they dug down to the water table and let it fill up (with the help of a sinkhole)

Philo

I've got a figure of 15feet in my head for this. I could be wrong but I doubt they would make it any deeper than that

Dayma

Heya, how about we leave the OP alone?:lol: I found this interesting and it sparked an discussion.

I'm sure not everyone knew this:wave:

You are exactly right....This is a message board and they were trying to add to the community.

I honestly did not know all of the OPs facts....

Phonedave

I posted the facts I didnt know. I just found it shocking about the bacteria and the depth of the two lakes. That is the main reason I put the facts on here.

When I was told the depths of the lakes, it suprized me as well. A watercraft captain told me. I was suprized how shallow the draft is on the watercraft - especialy the MK ferries. It's only a couple of feet.

-dave

Rob562

When I was told the depths of the lakes, it suprized me as well. A watercraft captain told me. I was suprized how shallow the draft is on the watercraft - especialy the MK ferries. It's only a couple of feet.

-dave

I believe that a good portion of Seven Seas Lagoon is deeper (or at least consistently deeper) than Bay Lake. When the MK ferry boats have to travel to the maintenance area/dry dock at the north end of Bay Lake, there's a very specific channel they have to follow that's been excavated out for them. I've seen a video somewhere out on the Internet of a ferry getting stuck in shallow water in Bay Lake because it drifted away from the marked channel.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom