"We only found one ride in Epcot"

sublimesting

My first long trip was in 98 and I did no research whatsoever. We got length of stay passes when we could have bought an AP for less. We stayed at All Star Sports at rack rates when we could have stayed at a moderate for about the same price with an AP discount. Had it not been for a sign at the check in counter I never would have known about the resort guest preview of AK. When I think of all the money wasted and things left undone on that 5 day trip it just makes me sick to my stomach.
But I learned from my mistakes. When we did the Disney cruise I researched it for nearly a year. There was no stone left unturned on that vacation.

Can, I ask how you calculate that AP would be cheaper than buying per night. I was just looking and AP is $470/person while staying 10 days or less would never total anywhere near this for tickets. I may be wrong or maybe you stayed longer than 10 nights, just wondering (not trying to be a smart a)...:wave:

I have been to Disney quite a few times and never considered this option but maybe its the way to go, we always stay at POP and go for 10 days.

KAY823

Disney Newbies

I remember my first trip many years ago. I actually booked my trip on the Disney Website and paid rack rate!:hammer:Over the years, I have become the resident expert for my family and co-workers. I have come up with a bunch of helpful tips and ways to save money. Won't be going this April with DH & DD, but will be making a quick day trip in March when I visit my sister in West Palm Beach. Can't get that close and not sneak over! I plan on buying a 1 day parkhopper and hitting my favorites. I am also still trying to get my hands on one of those "Every tree has character" bags. I love the tree of life and the green is "my color". I have had two families go since they came out and neither one was able to get one. Apparently, they are selling like hotcakes.

disneynut4u

The very first time we went was in 2000. It was me, my son, a sister, and dad. A coworker, who goes every other year, and had been several times (at least 4), told me a few things. As I was trying to get prices, etc, I saw that one of the "flex" features (freebie) was a Birnbaum guide. I knew it was a book, so I went on to the local bookstore, found & bought it. I read it from cover to cover.

When we got back, I was telling the coworker what all we did. She said, "how did you know that? or Where was that?" I said, it's in the book. I told her about the Birnbaum, and she'd never heard of it. I showed it to her, and she didn't know 1/4 of what was in it. She didn't know about so much of the parks to have gone 4 times and not know it! I told her "how could you spend so much money, and not research EVERYTHING!"

Friends now come to us to help them with theirs. And it frustrates me when people say they went to WDW and only did MK. WHAT??!?!!

I try not to talk too much about WDW around my coworkers now, because I know they get tired of hearing it. But with my trip only 73 days away, IT'S REALLY HARD!!!:sohappy:

sublimesting

The DW and I went for our first trip together in 2005. I really did not remember too much of it from being younger except hot humid heat and long lines (like waiting anhour or more for BTMRR or HM). I wasn't too enthused and we really debated about going, ir seemed like so much $$$ to wait in lines. I didn't do hardly any research as the week before we bougth a book "Disney for Couples" and read it on the drive down.
Well, we walked in and my wife saw the castle and yelled "There it is!" and went running and i had the camera and video camera going at the same time and the magic washed over us. Now we're hooked for life!!!

That being said, as newbies we still used fast pass wisely, did everything including both water parks, dining, found alot of secrets etc (and that was over July 4th week). We felt pretty seasoned after that trip and I can not fathom how someone could walk in and ride like one ride and leave or not walk fully through the parks. Or even say "it's not our thing." People like that killed their inner child years ago and take life too seriously. We're trying to get my parents to go, but theyare leary as they only remember long lines and heat. Y'know after going 3 times during July and August and Halloween we have yet to wait in any long lines...I guess there is a knack to time management that some people get and some do not.

juscet

People who don't do research and plan will be very overwhelmed. To each his own but the planning and research process is one of the great joys of going to WDW.:)

tinkerbell88

I have a friend that I hang out with and being around me just 5 seconds and anyone will find out how big of a Disney freak I really am:lol: and when I am around anyone I sometimes explain some of the magic that happens in Disney that you will find no where else.

For example: How many places do you know of where 100's of people walk inside and everyone of those people have a smile on their face? That's Disney Magic.

Or when that little boy is upset because mommy wouldn't buy him the big stuffed Mickey Mouse from the Emporium. He could be crying and having a fit but when that little boy sees Mickey Mouse down the street all that just goes away.

So when someone comes to me and say 'Disney is just another theme park' I quickly remind them that its not. It's much more than that.

Ok I'm finished :D

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
How in the world could anyone spend so much money without doing their research? Or at least LOOKING at a MAP to see the ATTRACTIONS...
Oy...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Can, I ask how you calculate that AP would be cheaper than buying per night. I was just looking and AP is $470/person while staying 10 days or less would never total anywhere near this for tickets. I may be wrong or maybe you stayed longer than 10 nights, just wondering (not trying to be a smart a)...:wave:

I have been to Disney quite a few times and never considered this option but maybe its the way to go, we always stay at POP and go for 10 days.
Staying 10 days, a hopper ticket is $305.66, an AP is $499.49. If you get an AP discount on your room of more than $20/night stayed you're better off with the AP for one person in your group. The difference is only $193.83 between the two tickets and it's easy to save that with AP discounts.

There are a wide variety of ways to save money on trips. If you usually go once a year, going a week later one year and a week earlier then next can mean an AP is of more value just based on ticket costs before any AP discounts on reorts or purchased at WoD.

Since1976

It's frustrating when an object of your own obsession just doesn't sink in to others, doesn't it? I guess it's like a wine connosieur watching some grunt gulp down a hundred year old cabernet and burping.

I've learned to let it go. Most people don't like unsolicited advice (even after the fact), so I'll only offer suggestions when people ask.

jmvd20

Not everyone has to experience things the way you do in order to have a good time and enjoy themselves. Perhaps some people view a good time as going somewhere and relaxing, not worrying about riding every single ride or taking in every single show that is offered. Maybe some people do not like to research where they are going and dont need to know whether or not the bench at the end of main street has a new coat of paint on it. Perhaps some people have a constant schedule of appointments and things to do while at home and simply dont want that while on vacation.

Even though this thread is 3 years old the bottom line is that OP stated that the person who went on the trip enjoyed themselves. Who cares if the highlight of the trip was wireless internet access, or that they only rode one ride at EPCOt - fact is they had fun and enjoyed themselves. After all isn't that what Disney is all about?

NMBC1993

This kind of reminds me of the discussion I had with a friend of mine...I was telling him about the Space Mountain refurb and he said "Good, because that ride sucked so much last time I was on it" then he went on to say "There are no roller coasters at WDW except Rock n' Roller Coaster" and I started naming off roller coasters "Big Thunder? Sucked, Primeval Whirl? Sucked! EE??" and he says "Well I've never been on it, but I can tell it sucks, it's just like one drop isn't it?" and I told him that is goes backwards and he said "that’s not a good reason to ride it". So finally I asked him, what makes a roller coaster good? Only if they have loops? He said "No, they just need to go like 55 MPH":brick:I just don't understand how people cannot look at the good sides of Disney. Of course I almost fell over when I heard my friend say "I've never even been on the Haunted Mansion, but I more then likely wont enjoy it":(

MKCP 1985

did you find the AP rate for Florida residents?

They do get a better deal than the rest of us, but then again, they have to put up with the traffic all year around. :D

Ralphlaw

Travel should change you

I know my family was not as prepared as we should have been for our first trip, but we still saw a majority of the attractions we wanted to see, and watched the free video from Disney many times beforehand. Some people don't plan for their vacations, and that is indeed a shame. My own brother and his family spent more time on their Disney vacation at the AK resort pool than anywhere else. They could have done that at the local waterpark.

Turning the tables a bit, if you had a trip to Europe or any other great destination, how much preparation would you do? My wife and I always prepare a bit for our trips, but we still miss a few things every time we go somewhere new.

You also have to remember that some people see a vacation as relaxing, and little more. Others see it as getting in the car and driving a few thousand miles. A year or so ago, a lady on these boards insisted she loves Disney, but doesn't want to spend her vacation learning things, especially the scientific and cultural offerings at EPCOT. If my arm would have been long enough, I would have slapped her.

You can get amazing deals to certain parts of Mexico or other tropical destinations, but what do you really do after you're there a while? Friends of mine had nothing else to do at their amazingly cheap vacations other than lounge at the pool and bar, and watch TV. You work all year for that?

To me, coming home from a vacation with little more than a credit card bill, tan and slightly lower blood pressure, is an abominable waste of time and money. A traveler, as opposed to a tourist, is changed in deep ways by his/her journeys. Learning things, experiencing new feelings, sights and foods, and having genuinely interesting stories afterward is the mark of a far far more interesting person. Why even waste time talking to a tourist who sat around their room all vacation? They should just check into the local Holiday Inn and save money, and acknowledge that they are a failure in this important aspect of a good life.

jmvd20

They should just check into the local Holiday Inn and save money, and acknowledge that they are a failure in this important aspect of a good life.

In YOUR opinion that person would be a failure in terms of what YOU believe the good life to be. Your idea of the "good life" is not the correct one for everyone, and therefore to enjoy the "good life" not everyone has to agree with you. The fact is that we all enjoy different things and that is based on opinion - when it comes to enjoying your time off of work there is no right and wrong answer.

I know a couple that went to WDW for a few days and had a wonderful time - without taking one step into any park! Is that my idea of fun at Disney - no, however they did what they wanted to do and what I think is irrelevant in that situation.

goldielocks

I have many stories about my friend and her family who are not well seasoned Disney fanatics like my family. I have called my friend Mrs X to protect her as there are many stories I have to share. In 2008 they went to Florida for xmas. As we sat at home green with envy and shivering with the cold we would ask each day wonder what they are doing now and what parks are they visiting? On their return we asked what parks did you visit. Oh we didn't do Disney they said. We visited Universal, Epcot and Animal Kingdom. We couldn't believe after 5 visits to Florida that they did not know that Animal Kingdom and Epcot were Disney parks. To add insult to injury we were treated to the photos they took. We couldn't believe it. Yes there they were in the Magic Kindgdom on what we were told was xmas day. They did not even know that the Magic Kingdom was a Disney park. How could they have failed to notice the Castle or Mickey himself but yes they had. Now I ask you is that a waste or what? You maybe seriously concerned for my friend and her family but I can assure you we are well used to them and expect nothing less. There are many other stories relating to Mrs X and her family some of which would not be for sharing in this forum but if you can top this one please let me know.:king:

Ralphlaw

[\I know a couple that went to WDW for a few days and had a wonderful time - without taking one step into any park! Is that my idea of fun at Disney - no, however they did what they wanted to do and what I think is irrelevant in that situation.[/quote]

True, but I probably wouldn't want to spend much time talking to them, and it also seems that a much cheaper vacation could have been similarly available elsewhere. Perhaps some enjoyment comes from knowing that great things that you never see are just around the corner, and of course there are fun things to do at Disney other than the parks. It just seems to be an uninteresting waste of time and money to not even spend a relaxing jaunt around World Showcase or see a fireworks show. Again, less money could have been spent elsewhere, and I rarely admire wasting either money or a golden opportunity to expand your horizons.

The people you mention sound very uninteresting, unimaginative, and unadventurous. In other words: boring. Maybe I'm all wrong about this and about them, but stopping at the parks probably would have enhanced their vacation and made them more interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom