"We only found one ride in Epcot"

righttrack

IMO, one thing Epcot needs to do better is point people where they want to go a bit better. I know, signage ruins the magic, but some people just aren't observant enough. I've heard similar stories from relatives and friends, that they just "don't get" Epcot. Epcot requires reading the guidemap a bit before entering. Its an exhausting park, because its so huge. Wasting steps in Epcot can cost you time and energy.

I plan with my friends/family now. They really appreciate knowing the "can't miss" sites, and the hidden gems.

gboiler1

We are taking my sister in law and two nephews this year, as her husband didn't want to return after their 2005 business trip/vacation. Since they went once he didn't feel like he needed to go again because of the expense. While they did do the big attractions at MGM, AK and EPCOT, they called us many times a day to find out where to go, saw NO fireworks/end of day "shows", went to MK the day they taped the Christmas Parade and saw very little, etc. They slept in and left around dinner time each day.

We are preparing for our next trip and I asked, just to get an idea of what they had seen, if they went on Philarmagic, Dumbo, Pooh, Big Thunder, HM, etc. No to all the above! They have a 8 & 5 year old! I could go on but you get the point.

I've already amazed my sister in law and she's excited about us doing Disney the "right way!"

gboiler1

justducky78 said:
That's why DL just doesn't cut it. I've only visited Downtown Disney at Disneyland (no time for the whole park at the time) and it just didn't have the same feel at all. When we drove through Anaheim and up to Disneyland, I was in shock. It was surrounded by fast food restaurants and seedy hotels. Not at all what I expected. DL to me is something you do in a day, not a week. It reminded me of the Six Flags near us. Not what I picture when I'm planning a vacation!

Ducky, ya gotta give DL it's due. Sure it's not WDW, but this is where it all started. Fantasyland is charming, you get the Indiana Jones ride, the classic Matterhorn, a sub lagoon that will soon have operating subs in it, etc. While it's not a week long destination, you should dedicate 2 days to DL and at least 1 to CA. Sure the surroundings are totally different, it's still the original and worth the trip.

Unplugged

Yeah, you either "get it" or you don't. My wife and I go every year since my first trip in '97 and bought into DVC a few years ago at WLV! (Sorry...I was a deprived child. Parents opted for a divorce rather than a family vacation...nice.) Our son will be experiencing his first trip this September at age 1 and "better enjoy it" :)animwink:) 'cause he's going every year until he's old enough to move out (though he's welcome to keep going long after that with his family when the time comes).

We have lots of friends that have gone and again, don't get it. :hammer:Those that have and love it compete with us for how many cool things we know and experiences we can share. :sohappy:

We've come to realize that you can't explain it, it must be experienced. We know which friends are clueless as well when we explain how we make every year different in some way and get a blank stare. (i.e. Golf outings, Flower Garden Fest, Food & Wine, etc.) Worse yet when they reply with "Where do they have the golf course? In between the roller coasters?" That's classic ignorance.

Overall it's not just their loss for family moments, but it's their kids loss at a great family time and enjoying being a kid. I missed the chance and am working hard to ensure my son doesn't miss it (and is not as closed minded).

CThaddeus

justducky78 said:
I totally understand the "different strokes for different folks" but we could go down to WDW and not even do the parks and be just as happy. I could hang out at the resorts, restaurants, spas, pools and have a very relaxing vacation.

This is the first time we'll be doing WDW twice in one year, as we like traveling all over the place and doing WDW and another big trip every year just isn't feasible for us, but there are few places (like WDW) that keep us coming back.

I like thrill rides but that's not why we go...it's the whole package we like. And the fact that WDW is it's only little world, and you feel so far removed from reality when you enter. Just the tree-lined drive from the airport gets us excited! I would never go to Cedar Point for a whole week or ten days! Maybe 1-2 days at most.

That's why DL just doesn't cut it. I've only visited Downtown Disney at Disneyland (no time for the whole park at the time) and it just didn't have the same feel at all. When we drove through Anaheim and up to Disneyland, I was in shock. It was surrounded by fast food restaurants and seedy hotels. Not at all what I expected. DL to me is something you do in a day, not a week. It reminded me of the Six Flags near us. Not what I picture when I'm planning a vacation!

So, I guess when people don't get the full experience at WDW (or don't enjoy it like we do), I get frustrated and don't understand it.

Obviously, a lot of others feel the same way. :D

I feel the same way when people don't get the full experience at Disneyland (or enjoy it like those of us who've been to it do).
If you based your feelings about Disneyland Resort on the surrounding area and Downtown Disney then you are making an assumption without the facts. I love Walt Disney World, but I love Disneyland even more, because it has a character that I don't get from the Magic Kingdom at WDW. Step onto Main Street and it's amazing how you can suddenly enter a whole new world. You forget that just beyond that berm are all those horrid fast food joints and hotels.
It's a Park that truly takes a good two days to see it all, as has previously been mentioned. And yes, California Adventure currently only can hold a person for about one (like oh, say, Animal Kingdom or the Studios).
Yes, WDW feels like it's in its own world. Walt spent a lot of money to make sure no one could get close enough to it to mar the area around the Parks. If he'd had the money, he would have done the same with Disneyland. My feeling is that if he had lived longer, he might have started buying out some of the hotels and fast food joints around Disneyland and made it a little more like WDW. Alas, it is what it is.
I'm sorry you don't feel Disneyland is worth your vacation time. I, for example, was so enthralled by Disneyland as a child, I decided it would no longer be just a vacation destination (and I came here at least once a year), but my home away from home. Now, I live within 20 minutes from the Park, and even after 14 years, I still find I NEED to go at least once every other week...if not more often. It is a magical place, but you have to be willing to actually go in to the Park to see it.

casey's catcher

There was a classic story on here some months ago about a family who went to MK and only tried Tomorrowland - they did not realise there was anything else there.
It's a funny thing. I kind of expect the people who go and have a terrible time, frankly just not 'getting it', are the same sort of people who would not want to go in the first place.
How can you want to go badly enough and stump up the cash, only to have the experience compromised by leaving after two hours; complaining of theme park food; or 'finding' only one ride.
Epcot, particularly Future World, is the odd park out in many ways. I can see how, to the untrained eye, it may not make particular sense.
But Mission Space, Soarin' and Test Track - how can you go miss these things.
It is also curious how many people express surprise that SE actually has a ride, yet assume that MK's castle does.

Nansafan

I have a friend who traveled to WDW for the first time with her family in 1998, husband, 2 daughters. She and husband had been while she was pregnant with daughter #1. She bought the Unofficial Guide (and scoffed at me when I mentioned borrowing our Birnbaums). They had never done Fantasyland while at the MK, missed the JC and ate predominently at counter service. They did do Hoop-De-Due review (loved it) and a character breakfast at Chef Mickey's. She read the Unofficial Guide but missed a lot apparently because when she came back with us in 2000, she had no idea on the scope of dining options, that there is more to Fantasyland than Small World and that you could dine in the Castle. When we stayed at the Contemporary, she said "oh that's where The character breakfast is." I explained that that is where one of the character breakfasts are. We then ate at H&V for our character breakfast. She came back with us in 2002 and was much more prepared. Her daughters travel with us each year since 2000 (sometimes twice) and are much more the seasoned vet than their mom. That's OK since we love teaching newbies stuff about the world.

DisneyNut7578

MansionFan415 said:
Well, think about it though...how can you miss SpaceShip Earth?:brick:

Ok, I'll admit it. I had never been to WDW until about 3 years ago on my honeymoon and knew nothing about it at all. I only found out that SE was a ride on the bus to Epcot (my wife, who is a Disneyholic told me and laughed). I just thought it was a big ball. After that trip, it all changed. now I'm posting on Disney boards, reading every guide book I can get my hands on, dreaming about WDW, etc., etc., etc.

kellydisney

People like that make me :hurl: Disney vacations aren't cheap. You bet your behind I'm not going to Europe without studying up on what to do and where to go. Why should Disney be any different? :hammer:

kellydisney

LOL i'm so annoyed by this post just wanted to share my own experience.
My father and stepmother only took my older brother and I to the White Mountains (2 hour drive from here) every year except for the year we went to Hershey Park in PA. Thrilling vacations let me tell you. They then took my stepbrother and 1/2 brother to Disney World (no invite for us knowing I'm a Disney fanatic, such is my stepmom).

First, they went in August because stepmom is cheap and they weren't moving their TIMESHARE MIND YOU to another week and paying the difference. And all of you know Disney in August is only for the seasoned veteran and NOT the newbies. It of course rained every single day. My Dad is not one to ask for directions and the obligatory Dad screaming in the drivers seat as my crying/screaming stepmother is looking at the map was retold to me by my brothers who were so relieved to be home (not quite the feeling I have after coming back from Disney). Apparently this happened everyday on the way to the parks. :brick: And it was TOO HOT! They all whined to me. "Why do you like that place? It was awful and boring!"

They didn't enjoy good restaurants, they complained about counter service meals and they stayed offsite at their timeshare. And they went for the first time in AUGUST. :hammer:

Now my fiance and I are getting married in Disney because we met there doing the College Program and we wanted to get married full circle, back at the beginning. We can't wait to share our favorite place with our friends and family. Of course this is met with "I couldn't be bothered with the place, I don't know why you love it so much. You should just get married up here."

Some people just don't "get it" :lol:

hillernj

Parents just don't understand

I get so frustrated with people who have been to Disney once or twice and at peak seasons and either complain or say there's just nothing in it for me. My family is all disney freaks, we have been going annually for 25+ yrs, 2008 was the first calender year i did not make it to disney since the mid 80's (my family went but due to a complicated pregnancy my wife, my daughter and i could not go).
My in-laws are the afore mentioned who took my wife and her sister to Disney once stayed off property durring easter break, and they say "we did the disney thing... it's not for us" but when u ask about what they did, well they didn't go to DHS (at the time it was MGM), AK wasn't open, complain about the "one ride" @ EPCOT and said how they were too "Grown up" for MK. i sit there in disbeleif every time they tell the story.
i will say tho i have turned my wife into a beleiver the first time we walked in MK together and she saw the smile on my face she knew there was something special about this place. someplace i hold dear to my heart not only for they magic there is there but the 100's of 1000's of memories that Disney Parks world wide holds for me. she realized that and i wish my in-laws would too. but hey... you can't win them all

timeman

What gets me is the people that only do WDW and never leave the property. They have no idea all the stuff they are missing out on. In Orlando you have Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and Seaworld, and less then an hour away you have not only Busch Gardens Tampa, but the Kennedy Space Center.

I stay offsite as it is cheaper for me since I go alone and since I have my own car I can go do other things then just the parks. I do three days in the Disney Parks (one park per day), which are mainly the Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Epcot. the rest of the time is either Universal or doing something else. Since I am now going every year if I miss something I can catch it the next year. I am usually down there for 10 days so never feel rushed.

This summer I will be doing not only do the main three Disney Parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot & Hollywood Studios) and both Universal Studios parks, but Busch Gardens Tampa & Seaworld for the first time and depending on how I feel I might even do the Kennedy Space Center since I haven't been there since the mid '90s.

I never plan my vacation out as I like to see how I feel when I get down there and then decide on which parks to visit each day.

BrerMouse

What really gets me are the people that go during Christmas. Saying "We want to experience Disney when it's decorated for Chirstmas. They insist on going the week of Christmas because "that is the only time the decorations are up." All the time I am telling them book your trip for first week in December, a quarter of the people, much cheaper rates, and all the Christmas decorations one can handle.

The other thing is when I tell all my friends what I'm doing for Spring Break or Winter Break, and say going to Disney World. They are all like Why it's only for kids? They jsut don't understand the feeling walking down Main Street and seeing the castle at the end can do to people. I've read every book on WDW planning, read the UG 3 times before my next trip. I've been over 14 times in my 21 years. I've been to both Busch Garden parks, Universal and IO 3 times, and numerous other parks and none of them compare in any comparison to Disney World. The atmosphere, friendliness, and overall magic you feel as soon as you drive onto property. Walking into the lobby at the Polynesian and getting my lea is the only way that I know I'm home.

Well that's my spill for the evening.

I'm going home in 4 days. :sohappy::ROFLOL::sohappy:

marsrunner

I live in Arizona and when we told one of my wife's friends that we were going to Disney World he did the whole "Disneyland is in California and its the same thing" routine. So did her mother. Uh, no, its not the same thing at all. I couldn't spend a week at Disneyland. Six days at Disney World and we don't see everything, but we see everything we want to see, and most of them several times. We also saw Universal/Islands of Adventure on one day and saw everything we wanted to see there.
Now, that being said, Disney World for us is a once every three or four years kind of thing. By the time we fly out there, rent a car (I have to rent a car...don't like relying on buses and whatnot) rent the hotel room, pay for food, tickets, souvenirs, etc., etc. we spend about $11,000 for all of us. I'd rather spend that and stay on property where we want (Contemporary!) and have a good time and not feel like we have to watch what we spend. But then I don't really feel the need to go again for at least two years.
Disneyland, on the other hand, I've only been to once, but we plan on going at least twice a year for a two nights and a full day at the parks because it only costs us about $1,500 to do. That's much more affordable. Plus, for me anyway, DL is a much better single day park than park in WDW. There are more things there that I want to do more than once than there is in WDW.
I just don't understand how someone could spend that kind of money (even if its significantly less because you don't spend as much on souvenirs or a hotel) and not do some research and planning! These are the same kinds of people who do things like my wife's friend from work...she went to Fry's Electronics and bought a $5,000 plasma television...and a DVD player. :brick: I mean, seriously, what the f*&#?

Courtney1188

This reminds me SO MUCH of my dad's side of the family. My grandmother, aunts, uncles, cousins.... basically everyone except my my immediate family went to WDW and it drove me crazy to hear them describe their vacation.

They don't use the morning EMH hours because they like to sleep until 1 or so when on vacation. They all had their own hotel keys and were never together as a group, each individual just came and went as they pleased. No eating in the park, no parades, no seeing anything that had a long ling (forget about using fastpass), no reading guidebooks beforehand.... UGH!

This year a relative frm a different part of the family was going with his fiance, and we had dinner together and talked in depth about all of our tricks and tips and they were sooo excited. They asked to borrow our guidebooks and videos and texted/called me throughout their trips with stuff like "What's the best spot to watch Wishes from?"

You can probably guess who enjoyed their trip more. Haha

sueuk

I have a very good friend that just returned from his honeymoon.(AND MY WIFE AND I HELPED THEM PLAN WITH ROOMS AND TICKETS) anyway they stayed a week and all total they spent less than 10 hours total in the parks. Here again all they did was walk around the MK on monday and i told them to stay away from the MK on mondays. Then went to epcot and only walked around and not all the way around. They went to the right at world showcase and to Canada to eat and left! On top of all this they got 6 day tickets without EXP. so three days got wasted. Here is the best they stayed at the Contemporary MK side ------------no pics to bring home said they didn't even sit down on the patio ,it just about killed me.-------- AND no i ask they were not doing "HONEYMOON STUFF" either. They took off to a golf shop then to an outlet mall and to mcdonalds just things like that. Bottom line i ask was it fun? The responce "AW IT WAS OK IT SEEMED LIKE A LOT OF MONEY" THEY HAVE NO CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
TRY TO CALM DOWN NOW!! coffee, feet up and eyes closed - breathe deeply ... there is that better?:animwink:

sueuk

Some people just don't understand the power and lure of the Disney Parks in general. We are 'over 21' (well actually over 51!!) no young children and I'm constantly being asked 'why' when we book again to go to WDW or DLRP. My sister has just been surprised with a 4 day trip to DLRP for the firework spectacular in November and is ecstatic, but her colleagues at work can't understand why - AS SHE HAS NO CHILDREN!! We did a 'grown up' cruise last year - and enjoyed it , but it just wasn't our 'happy place'

Susan Savia

We have been going to Disney World nearly every year for over 25 years. When folks ask where we're going on vacation and we reply Disney World, they kinda look at you like....Why??? :veryconfu We do other trips throughout the year, but nothing compares to going to Disney World. If friends tell us they're planning a trip and ask about this or that, we gladly tell them our best tips for seeing and doing it all. We begin our days at rope drop and end them at dark and enjoy accommodations offsite for the lower prices and other places to visit and dine. Its true you need to preplan your days in the World far in advance of your arrival.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom