End of Polynesian torch lighting ceremony

s8film40

Original Poster
In case anyone didn't know last night the 13th was the last night for the Polynesian torch lighting ceremony. It was a nice Disney detail that will be missed.

JWG

In case anyone didn't know last night the 13th was the last night for the Polynesian torch lighting ceremony. It was a nice Disney detail that will be missed.

One of many Disney details that have been allowed to disappear over the years. The differentiators are slowly going away as Disney dumbs down and Universal spruces up.

I do love Disney, but feel they have become complacent.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
OK...so this cost Disney people two minutes of their time?

They still have to light the torches! Unless they're replacing the torches with electric light bulbs. Now wouldn't that look authentic?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Does anyone need more proof of the Walmarting of WDW?

I totally agree - Disney is dropping, and dropping badly. When they remove the little things, they kill the subtleties that make WDW... well, WDW! It should be painfully obvious that they don't seem to give a damn about the long-term returning guest, they want the first timers and their money. No reason to keep them coming back, though, I guess?

I don't care if people here want to villify Kevin Yee, he's dead on - Declining by degrees indeed.

hpyhnt 1000

Thanks for posting this! Does anyone know roughly how many guests typically viewed the Ceremony? It seems like this is one of those little magical touches that will be missed.

From the two times I've happend to stumble upon it, it was one of those things where if you happend to be passing by you stopped to watch it. It wasn't something guests queued up to see or waited for. Nonetheless, it was one of those little Disney touches that made you smile. Shame its gone. :(

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
From the two times I've happend to stumble upon it, it was one of those things where if you happend to be passing by you stopped to watch it. It wasn't something guests queued up to see or waited for. Nonetheless, it was one of those little Disney touches that made you smile. Shame its gone. :(
Yeah, sorry for my ignorance, but I've never had the pleasure of staying at the Poly. :eek:

Though it looks like something that adds to the magic, I can't see it drawing a large crowd on a daily basis. Maybe a CM at the Poly will chime in...?

SirNim

Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG

diddy_mouse

That's a shame. I haven't stayed at the Poly but I know about sunset torch lighting from living in Hawaii. It was a way to signify the coming of the sunset/end of the day.

XS-Spence

Umi, our resident 2008 World Fireknife Champ, usually does the torch lighting between the 5:15 and 8:00 Spirit of Aloha shows. Maybe it's to cut out the stunt pay involved.

Rainfully, care to shed some light on this?

ryguy

I am still reeling from the loss of individual soaps from each resort. :cry: Too bad, another little piece of the magic vanishes into the night.

bgraham34

I use to enjoy seeing the lighting when we headed for dinner at Ohana's. Damn Disney you are really killing the magic much faster than it should be.

jmuboy

When do the cast members at the entrance turnstiles to the parks start handing out bright yellow smiley face stickers with Mickey ears? Then the conversion to Wal-mart World will be complete.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom