Is the Distance Between the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness Walkable?

Scott M

Original Poster
We're DVC members and we're thinking about staying at the Wilderness Lodge Villas during an upcoming trip to WDW.

We normally stay at the Beach Club or Boardwalk Villas, mostly because of their location to Epcot and Hollywood Studios as well as the many activities offered in the Epcot Resort area.

I realize that the Wilderness Lodge, although offering many activities itself, would be more secluded than any resort in the Epcot area. But I'm wondering if the distance between the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness is walkable.

If so, how long of a walk would it be and what type of scenery exists on the walk. If not, what type of transportion is provided between the two?

Thank you for any and all input.

Scott

Disneybird

There is a walking/jogging trail through the woods between the two. You can walk it in about 15 minutes. There is also boat transportation between the two resorts.
The last time we stayed at the WL, we req. a 6th floor room on the woods side and were able to see the Magic Kingdom fireworks from our balcony. It was very nice.

Disney_Belle

Yeah I believe it takes about 15 minutes to walk, you could also rent a bike as well or take one of the boats over. Fort Wilderness is a great campground with a lot of great things to do. I stayed there once and I loved it, I enjoyed the petting zoo, the beach part, renting boats. The best part was sitting on the beach at night watching the electrical water pagent go by, but I guess you could do that from WL too lol.

Pongo

The walk between the two is almost exactly a mile. It runs along a bus/service road between the two resorts. The scenery is fairly wooded, but the path is paved. I wouldn't necessarily say it's all that scenic, but it is very relaxing.

What you may need to consider is the location of the trailhead/boat dock. They both are at the Settlement portion of Fort Wilderness, and if you want to go to the nightly campfire/sing-along/movie or if you want to fish, rent a canoe, etc., you have to walk another 10-15 minutes to get to the Meadows part of Fort Wilderness. Or you could take the Fort Wilderness bus to the Meadows area.

Mystic

It is most definitely walkable. We were just down at WDW and we stayed at the WL. We had 2 breakfasts at Trail's End and we walked to both of them. It took us 10 - 15 minutes to walk. The trail starts at the bike/boat rental at WL. Follow the signs for the nature trail, which will lead you to the paved walkway to Fort Wilderness. You'll come through at the horse barn/pony ride/petting farm area which is located just behind Pioneer Hall.

JenJas87

i'd say the trail is about a mile and a half to two miles. you can walk it and the scenery is nice, but you can also take the boat or the bus. The lodge is my favorite and if you stay there i hope you enjoy it!

AREM

You need to be sure that you go to the outdoor movie theater at Fort Wilderness! They screen nightly Disney movies out there, and sell smores and all sorts of snack foods. It was really cool; we went several times when we were there back in April, and had a blast every night we went!

mwbrown

I hope this is related enough to bump this thread....

We are going to eat at WL and then the Fort Wilderness movie night in a couple of weeks. With a 7 and 4 year old, would people say it is easier to walk the path or take the boat?

How far from the boat docks or trail's end is the field where the movies are?

Also, what would people recommend is the best method to leave to get back to All-Stars Movies after the film? I am worried that it is January and the parks close early so the boat the the MK may not be still running. Does the bus run from FW to Downtown Disney to catch a bus to ASM?

Thanks, mwbrown

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom