Best Romantic Moderate

Master__Gracey

I'm looking for opinions on what would be the best romantic (but still very disney) moderate for a honeymoon. Unfortunately we can't swing a deluxe as we're spending money on the rest of the trip. I'm leaning towards Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach because she didn't care for POFQ when we looked around last time (said it wasn't disney enough) and I vaguely remember staying at Riverside back when it was Dixie Landings and there being a whole lot of walking to get anywhere. Any and all pros or cons, even minor ones, would be appreciated.

DivineMadness7

I'm looking for opinions on what would be the best romantic (but still very disney) moderate for a honeymoon. Unfortunately we can't swing a deluxe as we're spending money on the rest of the trip. I'm leaning towards Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach because she didn't care for POFQ when we looked around last time (said it wasn't disney enough) and I vaguely remember staying at Riverside back when it was Dixie Landings and there being a whole lot of walking to get anywhere. Any and all pros or cons, even minor ones, would be appreciated.

I've stayed at POR (3 times and again next month) and Caribbean Beach (once.) The reason we stayed at Caribbean Beach once? We thought it was too spread out. We stayed there after we had stayed at POR, so we had a means of comparison. It might just depend on where the room is located but we felt that CBR was more spread out in general.

I wouldn't dismiss POR based on that alone. I think you'll find that many suggest it is the most romantic and I would likely agree. Never stayed at Coronado Springs, but I've read mixed reviews. I can understand not wanting to stay at POFQ (thought I don't know if I get the "not disney enough" argument) because it isn't necessarily my taste. I would suggest POR, I think it is the most well-rounded of the moderates with a lot to offer.

Congrats and good luck on your choice :wave:

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

I'm not a fan at all of the POR or POFQ resorts. They represent the only bad experiences ever on property in terms of service, cleanliness, etc.

My vote would be for Coronado all the way. Evenings in the hammocks by the Cabanas or lakeside by the bar, etc...it's nice. It's our fav moderate and IMHO, the most romantic. :)

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Here's the deal, ALL of the moderates, with the exception of POFQ, are really spread out. You can always request a room by the main house of the respective resorts, but chances are, you might have to deal with some serious walking.

POR has lovely grounds for long hand-holding walks, not to mention carriage rides on-site (reservations pretty much mandatory). The boat rentals at both Port Orleans resorts will feel more isolated, even when the waterways are busy, as opposed to lakes where you're constantly circling other boats.

My choices for mods in terms of a romantic factor would be
POR
POFQ
CSR
CBR

Upvote 0

828tnt

i will agree that most of the moderates are a bit spread out. but, that's entirely part of the charm! in fact, there's not much more romantic than a nice walk - especially in a wonderful disney setting....

my wife and i love saratoga springs. but, any of the epcot resorts are wonderful as well!

i've found one of the best vacations we take are just my wife and i in wdw! a nice diner, and then an evening at pleasure island...... sorry, i digress.....

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

My vote would be for POR. I love everything about this resort and the amenities are great. I love the relaxing boat to DTD. There are horse drawn carriage rides. The foodcourt is great. I think the atmosphere is best out of all the mods...very romantic, and very laid back. Our room wasn't close to much, but I still loved walking the grounds no matter what...it was breath taking. This year Im staying at POFQ...figured we'd stay somewhere we haven't been to yet, and its not as big as the others.

Upvote 0

bayoumoon

Coronado Springs can require alot of walking. It is very pretty at sunrise and sunsets. When we stayed there in Jan 07 our room only had double beds which is rough unless your used to it. I heard that they were upgrading the beds to queens though.

Upvote 0

JasonCajun

I would go with POR, particularly Alligator Bayou. Lots of shaded areas and great places to take romantic walks, etc. If you don't want to do a lot of walking, just request a building close to the Lobby, swimming pool, bus stop, whatever it is you want to be close to.

While Coronado Springs is beautiful, the conventioneers really ruined it for me while I was there a few years ago. I'm on vacation. I don't want to see a bunch of hot-shot wannabes in suits speaking corporate lingo on their cell-phones. Plus, it's a huge resort, and will require just as much if not more walking than POR if you get in a bad spot.

Upvote 0

RachelP6877

CORONADO FOR SURE!!!! we honeymooned there this May and we have stayed ay all the mods by far the most romantic also we had a king bed with a beach lake view perfect and a private pool (always empty) right next to us AMAZING!!! we are planing to stay there again and again

Upvote 0

Sloan

Port Orleans Riverside

While I have also heard (but not experienced) about some 'issues' with cleanliness at Riverside, I have still preferred it to Coronado Springs. While I found the grounds at Coronado Springs to be modern and attractive, the 'feel' that we had there was more 'motel' like than I expected - and I did not get the full Disney feel - recall it is, at least in part, a 'convention' center. My biggest complaint at Coronado was noise - the layout of the rooms and the construction of the building makes for the transmission of a lot of noise in to the rooms (at least compared to what we've experienced at Riverside, or even Caribbean Beach, which I don't really care for much).

I think that the paths, bridges, water features, isolation, etc., all make Port Orleans Riverside more romantic than the other Moderates. Now, best of all would be if you could secure a discounted rate at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Since the first time we stayed there years ago we have not gone back to any moderate - we really got spoiled! (And the Yacht & Beach club is fantastic for EPCOT access and has its own charm, though even discounted it would most likely be way over-budget).

I hope you enjoy your stay wherever you end up - congratulations. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Lucky

CORONADO FOR SURE!!!! we honeymooned there this May and we have stayed ay all the mods by far the most romantic also we had a king bed with a beach lake view perfect and a private pool (always empty) right next to us AMAZING!!! we are planing to stay there again and again
I agree. All of the mods have their strong and weak points, and I'd go back to any of them. But for romantic, CS is definitely the one.

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

While Coronado Springs is beautiful, the conventioneers really ruined it for me while I was there a few years ago. I'm on vacation. I don't want to see a bunch of hot-shot wannabes in suits speaking corporate lingo on their cell-phones. Plus, it's a huge resort, and will require just as much if not more walking than POR if you get in a bad spot.

Ditto. We've stayed at all of the moderates and Coronado Springs was our least favorite for that reason alone. Staying in the Casitas section kinda reminded me of staying in a big pink and orange motel. There wasn't enough themeing there to maintain the magic with the conventioneers near the quiet pool or hanging out in the breeze-ways. May have had a different experience in the Ranchos (my FAVORITE moderate section just from how they look) or the Cabanas.

Our first "on propery" adult Disneyworld trip was our honeymoon. We stayed at Caribbean Beach before we really knew anything about how the World worked. We had a wonderful time. We had a room in Jamaica so it was a short walk to the bus stop and pleasant walk across the island bridges of Caribbean Cay to the main pool and food court at Old Port Royale. We particularly liked the size of the buildings in CBR. The two story buildings were just small enough to feel intimate and cosy but just spread out enough to feel like we had enough space to be ourselves.

Now that I've stayed just about everywhere else on property, and know way more about Disneyworld than any normal person should, I wouldn't have changed a thing if I had to do it all over again.

Upvote 0

Wannabe Walt

I would vote for POR. I have stayed at POR, CB, and CS. CB is huge (well, they all are, but it seemed the biggest to me) and it was nice, but not super-nice. CS didn't seem to feel as "Disney" as the other two though. I don't really know why, maybe because it wasn't exactly my favorite theme? I don't know. But POR was amazing. Yes, like everyone else has mentioned, you'll have plenty of walking to do especially if you are in Alligator Bayou, but I would definatly request a Mansion Room (Magnolia Terrace and Parterre Place were my favorites).

Upvote 0

Master__Gracey

Original Poster
(said it wasn't disney enough)

To justify this comment, I believe it was meant that it transported you away so much that you didn't feel that you were in WDW anymore. While some may find this relaxing, we found it to be like a really nice resort outside of Disney. We like it when we are reminded and feel that we are still in the park when we return to the hotel. I believe that was the feeling of this comment, despite my lack of communication of it on these boards.

As for the comments, thank you very much. I'm going to have to give POR a real hard look. It seems like many of you recommend it and it wouldn't be as far of a walk as I was originally thinking. Also, does anyone know if the king sized rooms are in one particular area (like all in alligator bayou or etc)? I would imagine it should be a room with a view as it costs the same as the preferred rooms.

Upvote 0

SchultzFamily

There is a whole lot of walking at the POR and the Caribbean and the Coronado. That being said, we've only stayed at the Coronado and have no desire to stay at any of the others. We just returned from our 7th stay at the Coronado where we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary (if you look under trip reports, I did a report on the trip). DH and I spent several nights just walking the grounds through the Casitas where the fountains are going and the lights are reflecting off of them--it is quite stunning. We also laid in the hammock one night and looked up at the stars (the first one I saw I swear was my dad--who died a week before our trip--smiling down at us). We also spent a couple of nights in the hot tub when it was just the two of us. The Coronado is very spread out, but they have a lot of things the other mods don't--including a new nightclub, a fitness center/spa/salon.

Upvote 0

jen2009

The fiance and I love POFQ. We will be staying there the week of our wedding and disneymoon. We love the small feel and the quiteness of the resort. Ask for building 5. It has views on the water and is close to the boats for DTD. It is also not to far of a walk from the lobby area. We just choose POFQ because of the location, charm and the rooms are nice. It is our resort of choice when we go to Disney. Besides its first on the bus stop list.

Upvote 0

SchultzFamily

And one thing I forgout about the CSR....they are adding more king beds and all other rooms will have queen beds rather than the doubles. Also, starting January 1 they will be offering Club Service.

Upvote 0
We were looking for something romantic for our mini-honeymoon this December and decided on POFQ. (Wanted to stay at YC but it was not in our budget).

POR is very romantic. Didn't choose it because I have been there twice already. I enjoyed CB, but it was very spread out and not as romantic as POR.

We didn't choose Coronado since we will be spending 10 days in Mexico for our wedding and wanted something a bit different.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom