What the heck? 2 riverboats in Rivers of America?

mikeymouse

Original Poster
Explain this pic please! It shows 2 riverboats and also there is what looks like a Tom Sawyer raft going down the river. ??? Pic looks semi-recent w/ SplM, etc.

default.aspx

PintoColvig

Yep, there used to be two riverboats: The Admiral Joe Fowler and the Richard Irvine. Fowler was retired and the Irvine was renamed the Liberty Belle.

gregburg

There is only one River boat. What you see in this picture is really more than one picture stitched together to form a larger picture. On the back end of Local.Live.Com there is essentially a huge database with millions of photos in it. The photos are taken in strips as a plane flys overhead. The software can then stitch them together so that they look like one photo of a particular area.

Greg

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Two pics of the same boat at different times of day... Shadowing and the tint of the river are different in the two different shots.

raven

There is only one River boat. What you see in this picture is really more than one picture stitched together to form a larger picture. On the back end of Local.Live.Com there is essentially a huge database with millions of photos in it. The photos are taken in strips as a plane flys overhead. The software can then stitch them together so that they look like one photo of a particular area.

Greg

Well then they took the photo at exactly the same time on a different day or something because all of the shaddows of the trees match up.

On a side note, scroll over and look at Splash mountain and you will notice that the boats are backed up. This is because it was shut down...again. :brick:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Well then they took the photo at exactly the same time on a different day or something because all of the shaddows of the trees match up.

On a side note, scroll over and look at Splash mountain and you will notice that the boats are backed up. This is because it was shut down...again. :brick:
Look at the angles of shadows of buildings [flat objects are easier to discern], the angles of straight edges are ever-so-slightly different. And between the two boats you can see a straight line where the colour of the water is darker on one side than the other [slightly different angle of the sun, thus different refraction of light].

csaguy

2 boats

There is only one. There are a few "doubles" with the software.
There are 2 boats in DL though. The paddle wheeler and sail. You can see them in the pics.

disneydudette

Yep, there used to be two riverboats: The Admiral Joe Fowler and the Richard Irvine. Fowler was retired and the Irvine was renamed the Liberty Belle.

I was surprised when i read this.. but you were absolutely correct! Talk about knowing your disney history! I just wanted to add this though:
Wikipedia.com in reference to the Admiral Joe Fowler: The steam boat traveled the Rivers of America at Walt Disney World and began operation the day after opening day. The boat was retired due to an accident during its rehab in 1980. The boat was being lifted by a crane when it slipped and destroyed the hull. The boat was later buried on the property after sitting in the bone yard for a number of years.

I have to agree with Raven... I would have never thought those were two different pictures.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I was surprised when i read this.. but you were absolutely correct! Talk about knowing your disney history! I just wanted to add this though:
Wikipedia.com in reference to the Admiral Joe Fowler: The steam boat traveled the Rivers of America at Walt Disney World and began operation the day after opening day. The boat was retired due to an accident during its rehab in 1980. The boat was being lifted by a crane when it slipped and destroyed the hull. The boat was later buried on the property after sitting in the bone yard for a number of years.

I have to agree with Raven... I would have never thought those were two different pictures.

For your own safety...Please don't quote wikipedia as fact. :lol: :lookaroun

disneydudette

For your own safety...Please don't quote wikipedia as fact. :lol: :lookaroun

Hey now... I never said it was a "fact" just that I wanted to add it into the mix :animwink: Had I not found that... I would been one of the posters who said "nuh huh... there ARE two boats... he said so and the picture shows it!"

Ah well... live and learn... this is why I stick to food, resort, and girly threads. You boys are too smart :kiss:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hey now... I never said it was a "fact" just that I wanted to add it into the mix :animwink: Had I not found that... I would been one of the posters who said "nuh huh... there ARE two boats... he said so and the picture shows it!"

Ah well... live and learn... this is why I stick to food, resort, and girly threads. You boys are too smart :kiss:

Some people will take you to task for using wikipedia as a source. That's all I meant by that. :wave:

Rob562

Some people will take you to task for using wikipedia as a source. That's all I meant by that. :wave:

Well in many cases, you have to take EVERYTHING that Wikipedia says with a grain of salt. I have a friend who teaches college courses, and every semester he has students trying to use Wikipedia as a reference source in papers... They're dumbfounded when he tells them that they can't use it.

-Rob

disneydudette

I would like to redeem myself and add that I did more research and found the wikipedia comment to be very much true... unless there are some other sites we consider to be taboo in the rumor/fact world... but remember I'm learning... it takes baby steps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom