Dec. 07... Wait, or book now?!?!?!?

Buried20KLeague

I need some opinions here...

We’ve been “home” tons of times, 22 in 9 years… So I know the ins and outs pretty well with regard to deals, etc… But usually when we go, we decide just a couple months ahead of time, and it’s often based around deals that are offered… Free dining, great airline prices, etc…

But this year, we decided WAYYYYYY in advance that we’re going to go in early Dec. of 2007. It’s been about 5 years since we’ve gone with the parks all decked out for Christmas. SO… That being the case.. I’m wondering if I should go ahead and work towards getting it booked now so I’ve basically got the pick of the litter as far as hotels and categories, etc… Of if I should wait it out for a while in case some sort of discount or deal might come out for that time period at some point.

Thinking back, I can’t historically recall any big time deals for the first couple weeks of December… But I can’t be sure.

I'm also thinking that if I DO book this early, I should hold off on airline tickets because this far out I'll never find a deal right now.

Anyway, what do you all think I should do??

Wannabebelle?? Thoughts??

typhoonguy

You are correct that historically Disney has never offered any 'deals' for December other than the usual (aaa, FL res and Passholder). I'd book the room or your package now minus the air. The Reservation Center has had a record number of bookings this year, and I can tell you the Fort Wilderness Campground is already full for the entire month of December.

Upvote 0

MPitzen

According to mousavers.com historical discounts page (http://www.mousesavers.com/historicalwdwdiscounts.html#codetrends) The following deals were available in december 2006:

Package discount for Disney Rewards Visa cardholder for 10/1 - 12/23 (became available on 8/14)

Annual Passholder room-only discount rates for 10/1 - 12/23 (became available on 8/16)

Florida resident room-only discount rates for 10/1 - 12/23 (became available on 8/16)

Package discounts to general public for 10/1 - 12/23 (became available 8/17)

Room -only code for general public for 10/30 - 12/23 (became available 9/28)

Therefore, if you wait until August you will probally get a discount, these seem pretty consistent at this time from 2004-6. However, if getting a specific room/category is very important you could book it now as a room only and then upgrade to the package when it becomes available. If you book a package now you can't change it later if a discount becomes available.

Upvote 0

parker kim

THis is funny just call yestarday about wilderness lodge in dec. was told the standered rooms for the first and second week are already gone and the wood views are are starting to book up. I'm waiting to hear about if sept. will bring the free dinning plan again keep your finger crossed but Dec. what has to be The most beautiful time. Oh decision.:veryconfu :veryconfu

Upvote 0

TTFN-Tiggger

I would book now. I booked by Nov/Dec trip the first week of February. Wanted to make sure I got into the resort of my choice. Just waiting to book the air. The airline I am looking for does not have a flight schedule out yet - once they do I will watch for a good price and book as well.

Upvote 0

orangewarrior

My experience has always been to book as far in advance as possible - to ensure Room Availability and guaranteed AAA rate.

But be willing to check this site and others for discounts and change the reservation if necessary.

Last year, for early December, we booked a AAA rate right about now, maybe early March. Then in mid-August we changed to a Passholder rate, but ended up shifting the next day (as it became available then) to a public package deal, because we weren't sure if we'd get back this year to utilize the AP.

Upvote 0

mgraef

I booked last year then re-booked before the penalty period when a smokin' deal from AAA came up. This year I have booked for December and will continue to monitor the situation. If the deep discount arises, I rebook and cancel - in that order. If not, I have my reservation and I am done with it.

I am not sure if this messes with ADRs since last year I added the meal plan late because I saved so much from the rate drop. I will be booking the ADRs with my confirmation number 180 days out, but the discounts will not come up until about 60 days before the actual trip (if history holds). Not sure if this will be an issue?

Does anyone know if this can be an issue?
Peace,
mg

Upvote 0

coltow

Wait for the airline. Chances are there will be a schedule change and the flights you pick will be changed. Start looking for flights about 3 months ahead of time and once you find a deal book it.

I agree with others that you should book your room now just to make sure that get the one you want.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We were fortunate enough to get that 40% off mailer, so I have already booked our Dec. trip. Did it in early Feb. So now I have a double countdown going on. August with the girl scouts and then Dec. with just my husband and our two girls. I am really, really looking forward to that trip. We havent been to WDW w/just our girls for ages.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Sorry guys I didnt see this thread until just now!!! As far as booking rooms this far out, as discussed there arent any discounted packages available as of now. The advantage is that you will get the room and resort you want. The bad news is that if Disney thinks they are booking rooms up well enough they may not release discounts at all or may severely limit them!!! Kind of a catch 22 I know, but that is the way it is. As far as not being able to convert to a discount if it is offered, that is absolutely a true statement. This can be done pretty easily, however not every resort, nor every room type within a given resort may be available with the discounted rate/ discount deal. If you can be a little flexible, You may not have any issue, but if you have your heart set on a specific resort/ room type, then I would say to book it now to avoid being locked out. Belle

Upvote 0

hokielutz

Wait for the airline. Chances are there will be a schedule change and the flights you pick will be changed. Start looking for flights about 3 months ahead of time and once you find a deal book it.

I would still keep an eye on the current airline rates. Usually between 4-6 months out are the best times for locking in a flight, but do be aware of what flights are available. With increases in fuel costs, its possible for airlines to raise their rates, just as Southwest initiated an increase in their normal rates last week.

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

I just booked our Dec. '07 trip yesterday and I can't wait! We'll be at the WL in a standard view room. I decided that I'm going to book our airfare probably next month, just so it's out of the way.

So, I'd say book your trip soon! :wave:

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

We booked our Christmas '07 trip before Chirtsmas '06 as a gift to ourselves.

That's the first time I've ever booked that early for ANYTHING! :lol: It seemed way too early for me, but at least now we're locked in when and where we want to be!

We're waiting on the airfare, as others have suggested, as some of our airlines are not even booking for December this far out yet!

GOOD LUCK!

:wave:

Upvote 0

jonesenon4

:sohappy: i booked our trip for dec yesterday at animal kingdom lodge for dd birthday savannah view room whole nine yards got all requests we made including bunk beds which they are guareenting on the ressie now.however the cm did say they were filling up fast so if i were you i would book as soon as possible.:sohappy: have a great trip and kungaloosh:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom